> Editorial: Spoilers as News? Too Far?, GateWorld SpoilerNews
Arcady
post Nov 11th 2004, 7:35 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

The very popular Stargate fansite GateWorld has posted a news item which contains a major spoiler for the finale of Season Eight. It has always been the opinion of this website's owner that major spoiler information does not belong on the front page, where anyone can see it without explicitly choosing to view it. Several spoiler lists exist for this purpose, as well as our own spoiler forum. We believe it is irresponsible to post such spoilers as news.

We'd like to know what you think. Is it acceptable to post major spoilers on a general Stargate news site? Should GateWorld re-think this policy? Are we way off-base?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Nov 11th 2004, 7:48 PM
Post #2

Major General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,411

No, I don't think it should have been splashed across the main page. It was a HUGE spoiler, no doubt about it.
At least on this forum, the spoilers are put in a separate place so you can look or not look.
Okay, getting off the soapbox now. Next?

This post has been edited by wonderland: Nov 12th 2004, 6:20 AM
+Quote Post
ali
post Nov 12th 2004, 3:33 AM
Post #3

Captain
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,298

No, spoilers shouldn't be posted on the front page. I've tried so hard to avoid spoilers this season after the huge one I read for season 7, but I just can't seem to avoid them. It really doesn't help to have them put right there in front of you.
+Quote Post
scjon
post Nov 12th 2004, 4:55 AM
Post #4

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,003

I agree, spoilers shouldn't be splashed around like that. It really isn't fair on people who don't want to be spoiled.

I wonder if anyone will say that they should be....
+Quote Post
dr_n_tesla
post Nov 12th 2004, 8:41 AM
Post #5

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,522

WTF??? That's just not right!
The sound of collective global jaw droppings was like a nuke going off!
+Quote Post
aliaras
post Nov 12th 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #6

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,066

Sure, it's fine that gateworld posted news. But they need to put a bigass "SPOILER!" warning on it.

For that matter, this site did little better. While the topic was posted in Spoilers/Speculation, the title was on the main page for as long as that topic was the active topic. The title's name was the spoiler. Perhaps it would have been better if that spoiler was included in the subtitle(where only people perusing spoilers/speculation would see it). For a title, I would suggest "HUGE Moebius spoiler" or something similar. People who are interested in viewing it will click at their own risk.

+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Nov 12th 2004, 10:27 AM
Post #7

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

Let's put things into perspective here.

To me, spoilers are single item events that primarily affect a single episode, but ultimately could have more subtle, long lasting effects on the show.

The way this latest thing was presented, however, makes it more of a publicity stunt to make the fans want to hang around for the future. I suspect that's the real reason it was presented this way. It wasn't for the fans benefit...it was for the show's....and when that happens, I start questioning the motivations behind it. It almost demostrates a lack of faith on the showrunners' part that the fans won't stick around unless something BIG is announced to keep their interest, and to tell you the truth, I find that insulting. I don't need to be baited into watching any television show, and I like having surprises, thank you very much.

This post has been edited by mithwriter: Nov 12th 2004, 11:30 AM
+Quote Post
Arcady
post Nov 12th 2004, 11:48 AM
Post #8

Base Commander
Group Icon

QUOTE (aliaras @ Nov 12th 2004, 10:02 AM)
For that matter, this site did little better. While the topic was posted in Spoilers/Speculation, the title was on the main page for as long as that topic was the active topic.

I figured everyone would know about it anyway, thanks to GateWorld. But it is still a good suggestion, so I will change the topic title on that thread.

Thanks
+Quote Post
The Doctor
post Nov 12th 2004, 1:37 PM
Post #9

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,365

They were a little carelesss, weren't they?

Ok they were definately careless! Ah well.
+Quote Post
Draconus
post Nov 12th 2004, 1:59 PM
Post #10

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,828

Didn't see it, don't wanna see it... whistling.gif

I think I saw the one you're refering on this site but I don't remember the title of it as I have a bad memory *phew!*

I have to say, I'm glad Arcady has kept this site well organised and kept us all protected from such things.

Thank you bow.gif

I also agree that posting spoilers on a front page is wrong, they could've linked it with a big title that had a spoiler warning, then it would've been optional. I try my best to avoid spoilers and I know that you can't avoid them 100% of the time.

It's gotta be hard with us all in different stages of the Stargate and Atlantis seasons. Just this afternoon, I was looking at the Atlantis specific discussion area and thought "OMG, we haven't seen that many, have we?". I'm learning the importance of episode titles...

All I can say is that I'm glad I've stuck with SG1Archive because it's the best kept forum I've ever been to!

Keep up the good work!

Adding to this:

I've just spotted a poll

Lost city Part 2, don't look if you haven't seen this episode.

Well done cchachia

This post has been edited by Draconus: Nov 12th 2004, 2:03 PM
+Quote Post
kitsune
post Nov 12th 2004, 2:48 PM
Post #11

Go: my anti-job
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 2,888

Anyone who wants to know such things should have to actively pursue them. I was furious when Heroes II was spoiled for me in the Heroes I discussion. Fortunately, I don't even look at the spoilers forum on the front page so I saw nothing. Personally, I don't understand why anyone wants to see spoilers; the very definition is a negative.

The worst thing is when they give away spoilers of the next episode at the end of one. You have to be proactive to avoid those.
+Quote Post
Kuwdora
post Nov 12th 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #12

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 541

I used GW's feedback form to express my disappointment in a spoiler on the front page there - but according to the staff at GateWorld they believe that something like this does not constitute as spoilers.

***I mention the spoiler in the email.. beware!**

My email:
I visit GateWorld regularly for your nice information that you have about Stargate SG-1, Atlantis..Battlestar Galatica. You guys have usually been.. pretty good about posting spoilers--yellow text and spoiler warnings and the like.. (I mean, I read all season 6 spoilers and decided I didn't like the eps after I read or seen even one spoiler..)....

And here I come to the front page of GateWorld.. and.. I'm just.. wondering, here..

Ra returns for teh season finale of Stargate SG-1.

This is on the front page.

And it's ..a headline..

A spoiler in the headline. I am ... er.. pretty upset now that I don't have this great big surprise waiting for me at the end of the season.

I'm pretty disappointed in GateWorld's lack of respect for the Stargate fans who wish to remain spoiler free...especially when Stargate SG-1 is probably coming to an end pretty soon here. I know other fans who feel the same way, and I will not be returning to GateWorld for quite some time until I can feel comfortable coming to the home page and not being spoiled.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot.

Hi Abbey,

Thanks for the e-mail and your feedback about the news story. We decided, based on our knowledge of "Moebius," that publishing this story without any plot context was a small enough matter that it did not require spoiler warnings. This is the sort of judgment call we have to make on a regular basis, and some cases are more clear-cut than others.

I hope you continue to visit the site!

Best,
Darren

*shrug*....
+Quote Post
Linz
post Nov 12th 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #13

Second in Command
Group Icon

Member No.: 587

almost sorta like they don't care much about your concern dry.gif sorta a brush off...

as to spoilers, i usually am happy to read them but lately i haven't because i wanted to be surprised... so much for surprise this season Confuzzled.gif pfft on them for that. maybe a publicity stunt for them? guess they think they will get a lot more traffic but i think it will have a negative impact on their traffic as well for people who avoid spoilers...

usually they will say they have new spoiler info/pictures and have you click it to read... why change that now?
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Nov 13th 2004, 1:26 AM
Post #14

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,544

There's a thread in the Gateworld forums made by a guy who was pissed off about this. The response he got was stuff like "grow up, it's just a TV show" and "quit whining." Then "Gateworld" appeared in the thread and said just what Darren said to Kuwdora. It doesn't look like he really cares all that much.
+Quote Post
ArtemisNightshade
post Nov 13th 2004, 7:38 AM
Post #15

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,736

My weakness are spoilers - I know I do it to myself when I do look for news on upcoming episodes and that bit me on the butt in relation to the episode Heros Pt 2.
After that, I tried hard to keep away from spoilers, but this is extremely hard when Gateworld shows it in the title!
All that hard work avoiding the temptation of spoilers and gateworld waves one in my face blink.gif sad.gif
I swear trying to avoid spoilers is like trying to quit smoking.

~Artemis~
+Quote Post
mayconnely
post Nov 13th 2004, 8:37 AM
Post #16

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,943

I think they should practise what they preach. I don't like spoilers because a lot of the time they turn out to be innacurate anyway. Also it was Gateworld who ran a big thing on their site about how spoilers should not be posted in their entirety. Don't know if this will annoy some people, but I've always thought they feel themselves a tad above all other sites. That rules only apply to them. All sites should abide by the same rules. Don't post spoilers if you say that other sites shouldn't (Which they have said). Don't take stuff from other sites without permission (Which they are adamant about and yet look at the way they took the Totally Shanks name for their interview knowing there was a large Michael site by that name.) I saw the debate on their forums, where the webmaster of that site publicly asked them to remove the name and was told that it was basically tough luck. It horrified me and I no longer go there. If webmasters can't show respect to one another, how can they expect the rest of the fandom to.
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Nov 13th 2004, 9:58 AM
Post #17

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

Not to be devil's advocate here...

Darren and Gateworld do have a point. In that thread Xay mentioned he gave the very good example of MS leaving the show in season 5. Sure, huge spoiler, but there comes the fine line between spoiler and news. I dunno how I would have reacted back then - at the time I wasn't looking at Stargate forums so it came as a complete surprise when in the end of the episode Daniel didn't magically heal... and actually that was the thing that made me look into Stargate sites. In their defence they have been very quiet about any Moebius spoilers - I'm quite sure this time last year I already knew about half the Lost City plot. Everyone's still speculating about Moebius and no one has a real clue, and you just add another piece of information into the speculation.

Thing is, if you look into Stargate website, you run the risk of being exposed to spoilers. The fact you have Don S Davis in that episode is also a spoiler. Hell, Don S Davis's appearance in Atlantis's Home was not a small spoiler.
+Quote Post
ArtemisNightshade
post Nov 13th 2004, 10:25 AM
Post #18

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,736

I agree with a lot of what you posted Pitry, however bringing up the spoilers that were posted about Atlantis is a different situation then this one. Moebius could be the very last episode of SG-1. It is not a plot that many people what to know about before the actual showing.
I admit that if it was not the season finale I wouldn?t be kicking as much stink as I did in my last post. Because of my weakness with spoiler hunting (it's a habit I developed because of the slow showing of episodes were I live) I now actively avoid major spoilers ESPECIALLY about the last 5/6 episodes of season 8.
I agree that gateworld has been very quite about the news of this half of season 8, however, because of the spoiler and the fact I don't want to know anymore about future episodes I have removed gateworld as my home site - the temptation of myself clicking into spolier stories because they have already been exposed to me is to much for this weak soul ? whistling.gif

~Artemis~

This post has been edited by ArtemisNightshade: Nov 13th 2004, 11:25 AM
+Quote Post
Arcady
post Nov 14th 2004, 1:49 PM
Post #19

Base Commander
Group Icon

I have added a new feature to the board in order to help keep spoilers hidden. If you put a special spoiler tag around text, people need to click to read that text.

Here is the code you can use (there is also a "SPOILER" button to create these):
CODE
[SPOILER]hidden text[/SPOILER]

Here is what the code above will look like in a message:
Click For Spoiler
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Nov 14th 2004, 4:37 PM
Post #20

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

It was wrong to put the spoiler on the main page. Since i rarely go over to Gateworld, i didnt see it till i came here. To be honest it doesnt really bother me because i always read the spoilers for episodes i havent seen anyway. But for those who dont want to read the spoilers it was a pretty big mistake (if it was a mistake) and cruel (if it was intended). It seems a huge spoiler for the writers t leak anyway. I would have thought that if season was to be the final season, they would have wanted to keep the final episodes as secret as possible. I could be a red herring.

I have added a new feature to the board in order to help keep spoilers hidden. If you put a special spoiler tag around text, people need to click to read that text.

Here is the code you can use (there is also a "SPOILER" button to create these):

CODE?
Click For Spoiler

Here is what the code above will look like in a message:

Brilliant idea Arcady. So much easier than whiting out text. Good thinking.

This post has been edited by Dafmeister: Nov 14th 2004, 4:38 PM
+Quote Post
dorien
post Nov 14th 2004, 6:54 PM
Post #21

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,776

I totally agree that big spoilers don't belong on the front page. And despite GW's claims to the contrary, this is a BIG spoiler. I now have a fairly good idea what the episode in question will be about and I haven't seen any other information about it. I would have enjoyed being surprised. (Although SciFi will probably spoil it anyway with a promo that reveals too much.)

But I can't blame GW. I saw the news. But to Arcady's credit, he had the good grace to change the title. GW hasn't. dry.gif

QUOTE (Arcady @ Nov 14th 2004, 1:49 PM)

Cool. Thanks. smile.gif

This post has been edited by dorien: Nov 14th 2004, 6:56 PM
+Quote Post
ChibiSam
post Nov 14th 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #22

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,009

QUOTE (Pitry @ Nov 13th 2004, 9:58 AM)
Darren and Gateworld do have a point. In that thread Xay mentioned he gave the very good example of MS leaving the show in season 5. Sure, huge spoiler, but there comes the fine line between spoiler and news.

I do think that is this issue. How do you define the line between news and spoilers. Obviously discussing the plot of an episode is a spoiler, but what about guest stars or returning characters? I have to say announcing the return of a character is a pretty big spoiler. Even if you had avoided all spoilers for an episode to find out a particular character is returning already gives you an idea of what may be happening.

For example if there was a spoiler about Narim appearing in an episode, you would know that the episode will involve the Tollans and also that Narim is alive.

Anouncing guest stars can also an issue. Imagine if they announced Kurt Russell or James Spader was guest starring. Just mentioning the guest star can give clues to what the episode is about. Of course annoucning non-recouring characters is not an issue. For example saying that Clauda Black is in an upcoming episode doesn't really tell you anything about that episode.

Click For Spoiler

I think in the end while they dropped the ball on this particular piece of news, people have to remember they are a news site and in visiting the site you will probably come across spoilers. Personally as someone who reads spoilers I was a bit shocked by them announcing it on the front page. They could have been a bit more discreet.

This post has been edited by ChibiSam: Nov 14th 2004, 10:53 PM
+Quote Post
Draconus
post Nov 15th 2004, 6:08 AM
Post #23

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,828

Thanks for the spoiler tag, Arcady.

makes it so much easier to post cool.gif
+Quote Post
B-Dazzler
post Nov 19th 2004, 5:45 AM
Post #24

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,827

GW was way out of line with front page spoilers! badair.gif I've always prefered this site to GW. pimp.gif

The Spoiler Tag is far superior to the white text. Thanx 4 that. bow.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 24th 2014 - 12:49 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.