Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> About this area

The loitering zone is for discussions about things other than Stargate. Please use the appropriate section when posting, and be sure to read the forum rules.

Loitering Zone Index: Off Topic Chatter | TV, Movies & Music | Computer Talk | Sports Talk | Forum Games

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Football!
SA-1
post Mar 25th 2006, 4:27 PM
Post #49

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,313

don't watch it much but when I do I support the patriots and the jets
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GoVols
post Jun 11th 2006, 2:50 AM
Post #50

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,546

Ok, because you Brits have always loved the Royal Navy sooooo much, we will settle this debate with naval rules....

When two allied ships met and one person has to take command, the captain of the strongest ship usually gets the command. Unless of course someone else out ranks him.

Ok because the US has beaten you on the field of battle twice, WE PLAY FOOTBALL, YA'LL PLAT SOCCER.

God gave/mankind evolved the opposable thumb for a reason, use it.

Having said that you Brits have developed the best sports chant in history when playing Germany in the world cup, does it go like this???? "Two world war's. One world cup" I love it. World Cup is the only time i watch soccer, its just a pretty boring game to me, or match as it were.

And as for who my favorit football team is, read my display name. College football is the best sport in the world. Espicially when you take into account the passion, history, tradition, and padgentry of it all. The NFL can not match it. UT baby, and not texas, Tennessee, we were UT when they were still part of Mexico.

The NFL has no men to match people like Paul 'Bear' Bryant (Bama), Gen. Robert Neyland (Vols), the more i think about it the more i realise most of you dont care so ill stop, here is my take on the NFL.

The NFL is a very tough competitive league. Great Sport. I just dont like watching people whine about making millions.

The Eagles suck. Limbaugh was right about McNabb, he sucks. Andy is a idiot, and you just let your only good player (TO) get away. Eagles suck, go home.

Colts, high powerd offence, and i hate to say this because he is a Vol, but PM is a choke artist. They lost the Edge, will be good, but not as good.

Pats, bah hambug. Brady is a decent QB, he dont screw up too bad, but he is just average IMO, great secondary and D as a whole, the O aint too shabby either. But their run is ending.

Steelers, now there is my team. Cower is a great guy, he scares me just watching him on TV. Young tallented QB, expeirence everyplace else, and a ring, i look to repeat.

GO VOLS.... btw, The University of Tennessee's nickname (Vols, or Volunteers) actuall means something. Durring the nations first wars, each state would have a quota for how many soldiers they needed to call up. Tennessee always sent many more than they had to. Something to the order of a quota for 2,500, and 30,000 show up. Thats why we are the Vols. GO VOLS (I hope we dont suck again this year unsure.gif ) And if we do, we now play some basket ball.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jun 11th 2006, 5:47 PM
Post #51

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(GoVols @ Jun 11th 2006, 8:50 AM) *

Ok, because you Brits have always loved the Royal Navy sooooo much, we will settle this debate with naval rules....

When two allied ships met and one person has to take command, the captain of the strongest ship usually gets the command. Unless of course someone else out ranks him.
Ok because the US has beaten you on the field of battle twice, WE PLAY FOOTBALL, YA'LL PLAT SOCCER.

Umm....sure. huh.gif
+Quote Post
Baggers.
post Jan 16th 2007, 7:01 PM
Post #52

Baggers.
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,573

So who's the safe money on to get to and win the superbowl, my heart says the saints, they've had a fairytale season so far, but my head says the patriots. They've been there far too often.
+Quote Post
supersonic
post Jan 26th 2007, 1:18 AM
Post #53

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,988

I am an Australia and we get the Superbowl each year. I must say, I find the game to be extremely slow. The game is not fluid and there are too many stoppages. I cant see why Americas love this game so much, so i would not mind being kindly educated.

For the rest of the world, football with a oval ball is called rugby and that is a game where players dont more wear protection and the game is a higher pace.
+Quote Post
Baggers.
post Jan 27th 2007, 7:06 AM
Post #54

Baggers.
Group Icon

QUOTE(supersonic @ Jan 26th 2007, 6:18 AM) *

I am an Australia and we get the Superbowl each year. I must say, I find the game to be extremely slow. The game is not fluid and there are too many stoppages. I cant see why Americas love this game so much, so i would not mind being kindly educated.

For the rest of the world, football with a oval ball is called rugby and that is a game where players dont more wear protection and the game is a higher pace.

I'm guessing that americans love it because a game can easily last three hours or so, an excuse for three hours of eating and drinking i bet. (Not that most americans need an excuse).

Although it is stop start, you do get moments of pure genius and skill, and its the anticipation of this that keeps you glued. I'm sure you're a cricket lover supersonic, being from Oz and all. (Congrats on absolutely destroying england this tour, you made a welshman very happy biggrin.gif ) So its a little bit like cricket, the quarterback is your bowler. Thats the way i see it anyway.
+Quote Post
supersonic
post Feb 6th 2007, 4:46 AM
Post #55

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,988

I'm guessing that americans love it because a game can easily last three hours or so, an excuse for three hours of eating and drinking i bet. (Not that most americans need an excuse).

Although it is stop start, you do get moments of pure genius and skill, and its the anticipation of this that keeps you glued. I'm sure you're a cricket lover supersonic, being from Oz and all. (Congrats on absolutely destroying england this tour, you made a welshman very happy biggrin.gif ) So its a little bit like cricket, the quarterback is your bowler. Thats the way i see it anyway.

LOL. The english were poor and there was no place to hide.

As for America football, i think rugby is a much better comparison.
+Quote Post
LinkDarkJM
post Apr 9th 2007, 10:04 PM
Post #56

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,371

Yay american football, Im all for them colts and titans!

as for NCAAF

UT >TEXAS!!<
OU and OSU - Ohio State

This post has been edited by LinkDarkJM: Apr 9th 2007, 10:06 PM
+Quote Post
Baggers.
post Apr 10th 2007, 4:19 PM
Post #57

Baggers.
Group Icon

if Mcnab can stay healthy this season, then this is the eagles year. Jeremiah trotter and takeo spikes are finally gonna stuff the run for our D, and the offense is going to do what it does every season and put up some big nubers.
+Quote Post
SG-1 Zaio
post Nov 1st 2007, 12:33 PM
Post #58

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,337

Hm.... American Football is RUGBY :], and the football is not a soccer, it's football ;]

The football is being played to legs. No offence ;)

This post has been edited by SG-1 Zaio: Nov 1st 2007, 12:33 PM
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 1st 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #59

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

I've always said there is no point including the word 'football' in a topic title, it will just make the thread this debate no matter which side you originally meant biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 1st 2007, 1:10 PM
Post #60

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Nov 1st 2007, 12:45 PM) *

I've always said there is no point including the word 'football' in a topic title, it will just make the thread this debate no matter which side you originally meant biggrin.gif

The entire arguement is dumb to me. They are two sports with the same name, in different cultures. It's like someone from Spain trying too tell someone from Japan that the word casa doesn't mean umbrella, because in Spain casa means home.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 1st 2007, 1:17 PM
Post #61

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 1st 2007, 6:10 PM) *

The entire arguement is dumb to me. They are two sports with the same name, in different cultures. It's like someone from Spain trying too tell someone from Japan that the word casa doesn't mean umbrella, because in Spain casa means home.

And in stargate casa means corn smile.gif
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Dec 30th 2007, 5:08 PM
Post #62

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

Okay, some mod change the name of the topic to American Football.

How hard would that be?

Oh, and I'm just going to say how great it was to be at work and have 3 LCD TVs (43" each) available to watch the Patriots/Giants game. Sure, I work in hospital, but still....

I'm so proud of my team....no, not the Pats....They almost had them beat. They played great and didn't roll over just in the name of handing the Pats their perfect regular season record. You should have seen the ER waiting room each time the Giants would score. Everybody was watching...the patients and the staff. All Giants fans of course.

Go Big Blue! smile.gif

+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Dec 31st 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #63

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(mithwriter @ Dec 30th 2007, 5:08 PM) *

Okay, some mod change the name of the topic to American Football.

How hard would that be?

Oh, and I'm just going to say how great it was to be at work and have 3 LCD TVs (43" each) available to watch the Patriots/Giants game. Sure, I work in hospital, but still....
I'm so proud of my team....no, not the Pats....They almost had them beat. They played great and didn't roll over just in the name of handing the Pats their perfect regular season record. You should have seen the ER waiting room each time the Giants would score. Everybody was watching...the patients and the staff. All Giants fans of course.
Go Big Blue! smile.gif

I, on the other hand was extremly disapointed in the Giants. If Eli hadn't thrown that interception, or if they had just stopped one of those drives, they coulda won this game. I wanted NY to win soooo bad. Now I just hope my Cowboys serve them in the playoffs.
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Jan 22nd 2008, 7:37 PM
Post #64

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif

NY Giants. Super-Bowl bound.

That's right.

Not Tampa Bay
Not Dallas
Not Green Bay

My guys are 13 point underdogs, which is just the way they like it.

Game on, Pats fans.

See you in two weeks.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 25th 2014 - 5:05 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.