Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  
7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Star Trek series is your favourite?
Which Star Trek series is your favourite?
Which Star Trek series is your favourite?
Star Trek: The Original Series [ 16 ] ** [9.30%]
Star Trek: The Next Generation [ 45 ] ** [26.16%]
Star Trek: Deep Space 9 [ 48 ] ** [27.91%]
Star Trek: Voyager [ 45 ] ** [26.16%]
Star Trek: Enterprise [ 18 ] ** [10.47%]
Total Votes: 172
Guests cannot vote 
ted_simple
post Sep 2nd 2004, 5:02 PM
Post #49

SIR Ted Simple
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 3,194

In my opinion TOS doesn't really play in the same league as the others. If you want me to compare, I'll say it's worse.

Okay I'll mainly go against TNG here because so many of you like it... laugh.gif
  • TNG loses by a landslide because some characters have remained empty. Take Riker and Troy... as a child I always figured there must be more behind the facade, later I realized TPTB just hadn't figured out how to develop characters yet. The later spin-offs built on TNG and thus improved... OTOH some people look at the bare stories which were told in TNG and deem them to be the most inventive and intriguing. I'm not as touched and emotionally attached to TNG episodes as I am to DS9 and Voyager...for me it's not only about the bare stories. TNG could have a pretty sterile feeling to it, which overwhelms me now that I'm used to the later Star Trek spin-offs.
  • DS9 had the best and only real plot. Prospering life on a station opens totally new perspectives.
  • Voyager caught me most emotionally. Some episodes are superb.
I'm torn between the last two. Forced to decide, I'll go for Voyager. TNG isn't that much behind either.

Oh, I even forgot Enterprise... I think that says it all... still I watched all the episodes, and begun to enjoy the series in season three. If you want to get into Enterprise, I recommend skipping seasons one and two. Some episodes in the beginning of season three may be fast forwarded though wink.gif

This post has been edited by ted_simple: Sep 2nd 2004, 5:07 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ramz
post Sep 5th 2004, 1:59 PM
Post #50

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,393

QUOTE (Boca @ Aug 25th 2004, 9:22 PM)
I hate DS9, never any big battles when excluding the Dominion or Klingons skirmishes.

Ehrm... "never any big battles"? It's the only Trek-series that is about a war!

Doesn't 3000+ starships engaging each others count as a big battle in your world?

Please tell me of another Star Trek series with bigger and/or more frequent battles...

On antoher note... I've been rewatching some Voyager episodes lately, up to the end of season 3. It has kinda grown on me again... Now I can hardly wait for season 4 to come out! "I can still remember the "taste" of episodes like "Year of Hell", "Scientific Method", "Message in a Bottle", "Living Witness" and "Hope and Fear".

But still... few can outweight DS9.
+Quote Post
Jaquin
post Sep 6th 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #51

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,257

I have watched all of the series. My favorite was ST:TNG. Great acting IMO. ST:DS9 was the best for action.
+Quote Post
XXXChurch
post Sep 11th 2004, 4:35 PM
Post #52

Unregistered

TNG, and DS9.

Patrick Stewart was awesome and the story lines kicked booty. cool.gif
+Quote Post
taujin
post Sep 11th 2004, 6:26 PM
Post #53

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,684

I liked TNG the most, mainly because I liked Pickard and Data. Season 1 and 2 were weak but then after the characters found themselves, I really enjoyed the series.

Voyager was not bad, especially with Seven of Nine wink.gif

TauJin
+Quote Post
Sam&Jack4eva
post Sep 13th 2004, 3:43 PM
Post #54

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,461

enterprise and DS9 tie for me.

DS9 was gritty and brilliant from beginning to end. The only star trek in which i cared about the story arc.

Enterprise has interesting characters, and some good plots. ALthough in some places its horendous (and i cant spell), there are some episodes really worth watching the rest. It has good potential
+Quote Post
gem360
post Sep 21st 2004, 8:37 AM
Post #55

Airman Basic

Member No.: 4,628

Voyager's my fav followed closely by ds9 cause i enjoyed the war arc in the last few seasons rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
ted_simple
post Sep 21st 2004, 9:05 AM
Post #56

SIR Ted Simple
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sam&Jack4eva @ Sep 13th 2004, 10:43 PM)
Enterprise has interesting characters, and some good plots.

I find Trip, T'Pol, Hoshi and Mayweather plainly boring. The characters seem to be the weakness of Enterprise.

It has good potential

I think even the producers won't agree any more. Ratings were constantly dropping, then the Xindi plot helped to improve the appeal of the series a bit. The idea of simple exploration, like in season two, didn't work out. In my opinion it was the weakest production year since TNG's season one and two. There will be mini story arcs in season four and I hope they'll rejunevate the series somehow. The concept of Enterprise may still have potential if they use fresh writers like Manny Coto who did some episodes in season three.
+Quote Post
laby01
post Sep 21st 2004, 10:22 AM
Post #57

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,128

By far, my favourite is Star Trek: The Next Generation!
All the characters are so well developed and distinct from each other...and the stories that they have are just as wonderful.
Leading in second is Star Trek: DSN, then third, Star Trek: Voyager, then fourth, Star Trek (though i haven't watched all that many episodes of it), and lastly Star Trek: Enterprise...because I haven't been able to watch a single episode without cringing. I'm a Star Trek fan (as you can already see!), but ST: Enterprise...is too...I don't know. not to my liking at all. Oh well. to each his/her own, right?!
My hopes though is that they come up with a Star Trek: Academy or something like that. It would be interesting...more than ST: Enterprise I believe!

Laby01~
+Quote Post
Chaos
post Sep 26th 2004, 7:36 AM
Post #58

Airman Basic

Member No.: 6,521

For me it?s DS9. The story is just great, the characters are well chosen and it?s a long term story line. With the others it wasn?t so bad if you missed an episode, but with DS9 (at least starting with season 4) you could have missed something very important for the whole plot. I enjoyed that "building up to something" story, and they really finished it when it was top! cool.gif
+Quote Post
laurab
post Sep 27th 2004, 2:11 AM
Post #59

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,499

Personally, I'd go for Voyager or Enterprise.
I watch DS9, Voyager & Enterprise, but i like Voyager & Enterprise better.
+Quote Post
Boca
post Sep 27th 2004, 8:19 PM
Post #60

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,656

Who thinks Enterprise is ruining the Star Trek timeline?
+Quote Post
Lord Malice
post Sep 27th 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #61

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,704

I don't think Enterprise is ruining the timeline. We know vertauly nothing about the formation of the Federation, and pre Kirk era. So that gives them room for creativity. Besides, the "Temporal Cold War" is a central plotline to the series. So they can get away with just about anything, when you have so many messing around with time. Who knows what the "true timeline" will be. It will be interesting to see how they will resolve the timeline/continuity issues. Enterprise won't screw up the continuity, Voyager already did a fine job of that. Example, watch the Episode with Sulu and the Excelsior. Then watch Star Trek VI, makes you wonder if the writers actualy bothered to do research.
+Quote Post
ted_simple
post Oct 4th 2004, 4:52 PM
Post #62

SIR Ted Simple
Group Icon

The problem I have with this temporal cold war is that there is nothing behind it. They don't have a concept, and the plot develops from episode to episode. I even heard the whole thing should end soon. It's really lousy what they made of it.
+Quote Post
Lord Malice
post Oct 4th 2004, 9:38 PM
Post #63

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,704

I agree, If what you say is true. It showed promise. The one thing they cant ignore is the coming Rolulan War. That should be interesting.
+Quote Post
Orta
post Oct 28th 2004, 9:23 AM
Post #64

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,474

VOTED FOR: Deep Space Nine

I seen every episode of Star Trek, like most of us posting in this thread, included the horrible Animated thing from the 70s, apart from the odd Season 3 episodes of TOS that are just so terrible i couldn't watch them to the end (Spock's Brain springs to mind).

I'm always a sucker for the ever evolving storyline. A story that has a purpose, that actually has a story to tell. Which is why I think TOS and TNG aren't that great. They're both just about exploring... there's no real continual storyline. Sure TNG had the internal Klingons strife thing and the occasional run in with the Borg or Romulans but it didn't really change a lot. Look at "Encounter at Farpoint" and then at "All good things..." not a lot has changed except a few of the crew have put on weight (Not mentioning any names, RIKER).

Deep Space 9 on the other hand... it's all been mentioned before in this thread so I won't go over it, but basically the reason it was great was it's basically Babylon 5 done with a Star Trek theme. B5 did the big war thing first, the commander being something more than your average Officer etc. To be honest though I think Deep Space Nine did a better job of it than Babylon 5, a war means something when you've had 30 years of being associated with our glorious Federation... we get attached to it and care about it's fait. Plus ds9 had the best writers, because most were fresh guys (AS the TNG guys mostly went to make Voyager). Episodes that drew back on TOS, (The Mirror Universe etc.) were genius and it had some truely odd ball episodes (Can't remember the title, but the 1 where Sisko is a writer in the 50s/60s).

Voyager... hmm, never really decided about that show. I think it woulda been better if they'd kept along with the original Kazon/Vidiian/Trabe plot, rather than bowing 2 the network and forcefeeding us Borg attacks every other episode. But to be fair it's got some of the best episodes ever seen. Year of Hell springs to mind as my all time favourite episode of any series. And the one where it turns out the entire crew is made of that liquid silver jelly type stuff. Or the one where the doctor has been left behind on the planet where Voyager is said to be evil (Sure it makes no sense as part of the storyline but it's one hell of an episode).
Voyager has some of the best indivudual episodes, but can't beat ds9 for overall storyline.

The less said about Enterprise the better really. Though my first impression was "THis is total garbage" if you go over Season 1 it isn't actually that bad, most of the episodes baring "Vox Sola" etc. are a lot stronger than TNG, DS9 or VOY's first seasons. The Temporal Cold War thing wasn't really necessary as a overall story as the Romulan War would've provided ample threads for the series 7 year run. (Which shud have started in 2154 so the 7th season would've been 2161 and we would've seen the end of the rommie war and the founding of the Federation).
They seem to be dealing with different issues now in Season 4, but I'm hoping they can tie it into the Romulan War.. because if the series doesn't feature that war people are gonna be mighty cranky, myself included.
+Quote Post
cosmos
post Nov 4th 2004, 2:57 AM
Post #65

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,080

TNG is the best ever made Star Trek, Voyager was not too bad, the ending though really sucked. Enterprise is really promising, when it started it was a bit slow paced but it has greately improved. Also u get to see how the tapestry of Star Trek universe has evolved before the time of Kirk. My generation has just missed OS but it is a classic. I have not watched DS9 at all.
+Quote Post
ishan
post Nov 5th 2004, 2:49 AM
Post #66

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,869

i voted for voyager. but its a close one between voyager and ds9 i like them both a lot
+Quote Post
anika
post Nov 6th 2004, 1:17 AM
Post #67

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,313

am a voyager fan myself bow.gif more power to the woman and of course joe the amazing emh! biggrin.gif i havent seen the dominion wars yet but i hear it's really good but i would just like to say for the non-believers in ent try it now the last season and this 4th one is very good and interesting for a change!
+Quote Post
Orta
post Nov 6th 2004, 2:27 PM
Post #68

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE (cosmos @ Nov 4th 2004, 2:57 AM)
I have not watched DS9 at all.

Yeah, it was unpopular with the Trekkie masses who had been brainwashed by TNG's neverending/neverchanging stories and characters. So it hasn't been rerun for YONKS so there's a lot of Trek fans who haven't seen it.

If you're a true trekkie you'll get the ds9 dvds wink.gif trustme, it won't be a waste of money.
+Quote Post
Raxor
post Nov 7th 2004, 3:52 AM
Post #69

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 174

Ds9 is worth every penny, try it you just might like it smile.gif
+Quote Post
Orta
post Nov 7th 2004, 1:04 PM
Post #70

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE (Raxor @ Nov 7th 2004, 3:52 AM)
Ds9 is worth every penny, try it you just might like it smile.gif

Well it woz winning this poll until TNG caught up! cool.gif
+Quote Post
cosmos
post Nov 7th 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #71

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,080

QUOTE (eminariiorta @ Nov 6th 2004, 2:27 PM)

If you're a true trekkie you'll get the ds9 dvds wink.gif trustme, it won't be a waste of money.

I already bought 7 seasons of TNG. These boxsets cost a lot of money you know... and it would probably be like before, you cannot just have one... i will have to go for all 7? seasons once again. Star Trek is addictive....

But you know since then i have been a couple of times with my finger on the mail order for DS9 season 1. I just need more time to make that decision...

How would you list the seasons starting from the one you prefer the most?

+Quote Post
Orta
post Nov 8th 2004, 3:04 PM
Post #72

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE (cosmos @ Nov 7th 2004, 6:02 PM)
How would you list the seasons starting from the one you prefer the most?

Of DS9?

Easy:

Season 6 and 7 are technically the best, and my faves, because they've got the Dominion War... which is the longest and in my humble opinion best Trek arc/saga/story ever!

1). Season 7 - S6 has a better selection of individual stories, but S7 has Ezri!!!
2). Season 6
3). Season 5
4). Season 3 - Enter: THE DEFIANT
5). Season 4 - Worf's arrival was just so... perfect!
6). Season 2
7). Season 1

In truth they're all pretty good. There's a few rotten apples, mostly in S1, but overall it's the most consistantly good show. Though you'd better watch them in order wink.gif
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 22nd 2014 - 4:37 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.