Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate Atlantis only. Atlantis spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate SG-1 Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Star Trek Similarities, Voyager, DS9, ect
Revan
post Dec 20th 2007, 5:02 PM
Post #121

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

With regards to Star Trek... they should react differently... they should have learned to be more than we are now.

Same with Stargate.. realizing you aren't alone in the galaxy should have a profound effect on the way you react to the world.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
other guy
post Aug 1st 2008, 6:39 PM
Post #122

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,542

It would be very hard not to duplicate some star trek shows. The differences come in the depth of the storyline. You can break most stories down to alien abduction, alien taking over crew, big monster alien trying to destroy, etc. Try to make a new story beyond these generalities is quite difficult. The brillaince of the new show and its writing is how the generalities are twisted and changed just enough to make them unique to the new show.

I have always loved Voyager, which many people would rather vomit than consider watching Voyager. But the basic concept of a single starship having to travel halfway across the galaxy is exciting to me. And I feel that Voyager is the epitome (means best example) of what Roddenberry wanted for his star trek universe. The storylines are very engaging to your emotions, showing the plight of the human condition and the comflicts which arise in these encounters. The beauty of star trek isn't the phaser fights and warp speed, it's how the people/humans deal with these encounters, how they win or fail their tests. That's what make the Greek tragedies so long-lasting, along with shakespeare, how the humans deal with their tests of courage, of strength, of fears, of desire.

I think Atlantis has nicely separated itself from SG1 and grown up beautifully as its own entity, capable to stand on its own merits. It has a different energy, a different course, but yet the writers and producers have wonderfully blended the two shows in the storylines to compliment each other.

My previous statements above will be tested as the new Star Trek movie comes out in a year or so, which will have been created by non-Roddenberry people, and may create a whole new direction and popularity, as has been witnessed by the new decade/century's versions of James Bond and Batman movies being so successful. However, so far, Atlantis has been an extraordinary show that has greatly entertained me with energy and pleasure. Very few of the Atlantis shows do I not watch because they are lame.

One of the beauties of Atlantis has been that it is happening "now", as of 2000's, not hundreds of years in the future. To think that such an exploration could be happening as I get up in the morning is exciting to me, and adds to the enjoyment. So generally, I'm extremely happy with Atlantis. I remember the past few years, there's been talk of another spinoff (Stargate: Universe?) about some other team elsewhere. How many big bad guys can you create? How many kinds of aliens can you design before you reach the limit?
I hope that Atlantis doesn't find out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 24th 2014 - 6:58 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.