post Dec 1st 2002, 6:16 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 5, Episode 19 - Menace
Original Air Date: April 26, 2002

SG-1 discovers a world that seems to have been destroyed by Replicators, where they find a young girl who may hold the secret to the salvation of the Asgard. After returning to the SGC, they make a very surprising discovery which has the potential to save them or kill them. Things quickly get out of hand.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 23)
Lezlow
post Dec 11th 2002, 1:18 AM
Post #2

Brigadier General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 25

stupid reece i didnt like her at all i am glad it ended like it did
+Quote Post
ussshorty
post Jan 2nd 2003, 6:29 AM
Post #3

Major General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 215

i didnt think much of this episode it was boring IPB Image IPB Image
+Quote Post
Anubus
post Jan 6th 2003, 6:13 PM
Post #4

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 65

I have to agree with you guys this episode sucked, mainly becuase the girl playing the android was unbelievebly painfull as bad as 'The Cable Guy' whoever cast her and Jonas needs to look for a new job. IPB Image

I think one of the worst episodes ever which is saying a lot for a show that is probably the greatest Sci-Fi along the Star Trek. IPB Image
+Quote Post
ussshorty
post Jan 7th 2003, 12:58 PM
Post #5

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE (Anubus @ Jan 6 2003, 06:13 PM)
I have to agree with you guys this episode sucked, mainly becuase the girl playing the android was unbelievebly painfull as bad as 'The Cable Guy' whoever cast her and Jonas needs to look for a new job. IPB Image

I think one of the worst episodes ever which is saying a lot for a show that is probably the greatest Sci-Fi along the Star Trek. IPB Image

yup i agree with your answer
+Quote Post
iamcrazy
post Feb 17th 2003, 3:49 AM
Post #6

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 512

She sucked, but was kinda cute...
The replicators scared the heck outa me like three times. Whoever does the CGI for them rocks.
+Quote Post
ussshorty
post Feb 17th 2003, 5:27 AM
Post #7

Major General
Group Icon

i think its the set desighner or props manager. huh.gif
+Quote Post
Raxor
post Feb 25th 2003, 3:02 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 174

i think the replicators are the best enemy ever, simply becasue they are atually scary. lol
more threatening than 'the borg' cool.gif
+Quote Post
loopy
post Mar 5th 2003, 5:51 AM
Post #9

Airman Basic

Member No.: 326

I enjoyed this one, especially the chance to see Hammond in action instead of behind a desk for a change. I was impressed with the way he changed his clothes first though - wonder when he found time to do that! Hey, the base is in danger - I'm not dressed for action, better go and change tongue.gif

I thought Daniel handled Reece very well, and boy do I miss moments like those between him and Jack. The magnifying glass scene had us in fits biggrin.gif

loopy
+Quote Post
quiquito
post Mar 7th 2003, 7:28 AM
Post #10

I kill Mass-debators
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 7

yes but rease should of accepted that she was hurting people and she should of hurt herself, or turned herself off, how comes the good evil robots always have something bad happen to them (unatural selection).
+Quote Post
explorer2000
post Mar 8th 2003, 1:51 AM
Post #11

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 674

Maybe it isn't a good episode but those replicators can give an interesting battle.

My favorite scene is when Daniel goes angry with Jack because he shot the robot. Sometimes I think the team is facing the new discoveries with a bad mood.
+Quote Post
squall27
post Mar 8th 2003, 4:21 PM
Post #12

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 901

After watching this epiode, i have a dilema: the replicators were distroyed because the android died or because with her last strength manage to stop them?...
+Quote Post
Major Gmed
post Mar 8th 2003, 5:19 PM
Post #13

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 979

I don't think we are meant to know for sure. I suppose it is your own preferance which you believe. To be honest I was just glad she was dead as she really annoyed me.
+Quote Post
Jimmy
post Mar 18th 2003, 4:34 PM
Post #14

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 66

dam the magnifying glass scene was one of the funniest ive seen for ages biggrin.gif i was pissin my self for ages afterwards with laughter
+Quote Post
Anubus
post Mar 19th 2003, 4:26 AM
Post #15

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 65

QUOTE (Major Gmed @ Mar 9 2003, 09:19 AM)
I don't think we are meant to know for sure. I suppose it is your own preferance which you believe. To be honest I was just glad she was dead as she really annoyed me.

I so agree with you
+Quote Post
Nicci
post Mar 22nd 2003, 11:24 AM
Post #16

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,165

Yup - she REALLY had to go didnt she?

I liked the bit between Jack and Daniel at the end when Jack Killed the robot. Daniel called him a stupid son of a bitch or something.

Its not often that Daniel got THAT angry with Jack and I think he was a bit angry with himself too because he secretly agreed that this was the only possible resolution that would work and that Jack had the strength to do it.
+Quote Post
Apis
post Mar 23rd 2003, 10:52 PM
Post #17

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,116

Overall, I personally believe that this episode was one of the best episodes in season five (next to Enemies, of course). Not only did this episode surpass many of the other ones in season five in both visual effects and action, but it had quite an interesting story as well. I do agree, however, that the role of Reese was poorly portrayed.
+Quote Post
PennyAfNorberg
post Apr 2nd 2003, 8:29 AM
Post #18

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,067

QUOTE (Raxor @ Feb 25 2003, 09:02 PM)
i think the replicators are the best enemy ever, simply becasue they are atually scary. lol
more threatening than 'the borg' cool.gif

I would say that replicators are more borg than borg, or rather wath borgs could have been

+Quote Post
PennyAfNorberg
post Apr 2nd 2003, 8:34 AM
Post #19

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,067

QUOTE (squall27 @ Mar 8 2003, 10:21 PM)
After watching this epiode, i have a dilema: the replicators were distroyed because the android died or because with her last strength manage to stop them?...

My guess is that Daniel is right and she stopped them, but for some reason I don't think she would have shut them off if she hadn't been shut
Oh well I guess the send the left-overs to the Asgards now
+Quote Post
Aceuss
post May 6th 2003, 5:22 PM
Post #20

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,198

This episode was brilliant! I just ADORE the episodes where they explain the origin of things that we gave up on ever knowing where to come from. I know that at least I gave up on ever getting to see where the replicators originated. But this episode proved me wrong in a very nice way smile.gif

And boy are those replicators freaky or what? That mechanical sound is just too eerie to stand. The replicators are the coolest enemy so far in my humble opinion.

And unlike many posts on this thread, I believe that the actress carried out her job rather appropriately. I won't nominate her for an Emmy, but she was supposed to come out as this childish, emotionally-immature, and unstable child in a grown-up form, and she did just that. Maybe you didn't like her, but is it the actress or the character that you didn't like?

But even hating the character I don't agree with. We were told that she was made wrong. In other words, her emotional program was not functioning properly. So in our terms she's a sick person who requires therapy. If you hate her for her illness, or malfunction for that matter, then how is that different from hating a schizophrenic, or even a handicapped person? I don't think that there's much of a difference there.

However, there are two things that I hated about this episode. First is when Jack was skeptical of the machine having any rights just because she's a machine! Jack himself have seen this situation before (contrary to Daniel's comment, this Jack did not go through that experience. His copy did. He only got to see it) Besides, in the episode "Double jeopardy" Jack did admit to his copy that he doesn't consider him just a machine anymore. That whatever happened to that revelation? Sometimes I get the feeling that the writers get carried away in their efforts to make Jack come out the skeptical guy we know.

Second, why the hell did the machine die because of a single bullet in the chest? She did have a heartbeat but the heart wasn't necessary for its function. As Sam said, she was made to look human as much as possible. Also, why was Daniel so sad? Being a machine, I'm sure the Asgards would know how to fix it and revive it.

This post has been edited by Aceuss: May 6th 2003, 5:25 PM
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post May 7th 2003, 10:51 PM
Post #21

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

Replicators are the best 'villian' on Stargate...they look creepy, they sound creepy, they move creepy...they're just, well...creepy.

I just d/led it and watched it for the first time this week. It was one of those rare eps I never saw, and I noticed that the shot that killed Reese may have been from a single shell, but it scattered on impact. She in fact had multiple holes in her chest when we finally see her on the ground.

Why did the replicators break up into pieces? That is something I don't understand. It is one thing to be CONTROLLED by one will, but to be physically held together? My only theory is that she gave a final command for them to self-destruct, and since they had not established their own personalities yet that caused them to break apart.

I very much enjoyed Daniel's reaction to Jack shooting her. Daniel seemed to truly have connected with Reese as a person, not a machine, which is probably why he was so upset that Jack did what he did.
+Quote Post
Aceuss
post May 8th 2003, 4:25 AM
Post #22

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,198

QUOTE (mithwriter @ May 8 2003, 06:51 AM)
Why did the replicators break up into pieces? That is something I don't understand. It is one thing to be CONTROLLED by one will, but to be physically held together? My only theory is that she gave a final command for them to self-destruct, and since they had not established their own personalities yet that caused them to break apart.

Each individual building block in the replicators is capable of exerting a reactive, modulating, monopolar energy field on other blocks allowing the replicators to assemble themselves into many forms. The blocks are able to do that because each block contains two million isolated kiron (energy particle) pathways. So each block is like an individual computer, able to communicate with other blocks. Multiple blocks come together to form bugs and other things in order to form various tasks, ultimately for the purpose of replicating. It requires several blocks working together to be able to make new blocks.

However, the replicators in this episode were under the direct command of Reese. Their ultimate purpose was to protect Reese and not just replicating. But once a replicator gets too far away from Reese's control field it is not no longer under the control of Reese and thus its ultimate purpose becomes replicating. That's why that single replictor in the self destruction manual control room hesitated for a few minutes but then continued to charge against Hammond and Sam because it stepped out of the control field.

Therefore, I don't think that the replicators just died when Reese died. She had to order them to deactivate, otherwise their purpose would've been replaced by the replicating purpose and carried on. Once she ordered them to deactivate, each block ceased to exert its energy field, hence all replicators broke down into pieces.

This post has been edited by Aceuss: May 8th 2003, 4:30 AM
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post May 8th 2003, 8:01 PM
Post #23

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

Ah, now that makes much more sense. Thank you Aceuss!
+Quote Post
Apis
post May 17th 2003, 3:55 PM
Post #24

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,116

Yes, very well stated Aceuss!
Commander Thor couldn't of said it better himself wink.gif
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 30th 2014 - 6:56 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.