ramuund
post Mar 2nd 2004, 10:07 AM
Post #73

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,871

4 hours and 52 minutes woohoo

You have to understand where the president is coming form here, in regards to him wanting to change personnel, he has just got in to the presidential position and has this put on him. Also, not taking away for all the files they gave him, but some missions or acts by SG1 have to be those 'you have to be there' sought of things and they might come off another way to others who haven't been there....did that make any sense at all????? huh.gif

This post has been edited by ramuund: Mar 2nd 2004, 10:08 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
French Carter
post Mar 2nd 2004, 10:42 AM
Post #74

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,179

O.K: 4/10.

Too many clips show (will we have a third episode like that in 8th season ?), the president is very special and the story is long for no new evidences.

Using clips show is so boring. The first I understood but do it again one season later, it is amazing.
My question is: why did they have done this one if they do not give us clues? It is not a inauguration, it is a recapitulation. We knew before all they said in this episode. I don't see the goal of this kind of episode !!!
The caracter of the president is incredible. I don't give him a lot of consideration. He seems so "fun", so... I don't know. Is he really playing the role of the president of the USA ? blink.gif

So, the worst episode of this season.

+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Mar 2nd 2004, 11:12 AM
Post #75

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

My question is: why did they have done this one if they do not give us clues? It is not a inauguration, it is a recapitulation. We knew before all they said in this episode. I don't see the goal of this kind of episode !!!

We knew nothing about the new president...and more importantly, we didn't know as much about how Kinsey was pulling the strings. There's a hint that he's willing and capable of assassinating the President to get what he wants. As far as he knows, he's got the President and Woolsey under his thumb, but Woolsey just switched sides, and the President is no fool. We also know that Hammond has given Woolsey the evidence on Kinsey to help keep him at bay if something happens. Considering what's going to happen in the season finale, this was a much-needed episode to catch the audience up on all the political players, because when the fireworks start there's not going to be time for that.

The character of the president is incredible. I don't give him a lot of consideration. He seems so "fun", so... I don't know. Is he really playing the role of the president of the USA ?? blink.gif

Speaking as an American, let me just say that we've had a lot worse happen in the White House than the president taking his shoes off so he can rub his toes on the Presidential Seal on the rug. huh.gif Besides, it's his first day. I'm sure anyone on the job for the first day is going to be excited...also....this is Stargate, so some fun and sarcasm are practically SOP.

This post has been edited by mithwriter: Mar 2nd 2004, 11:13 AM
+Quote Post
sidewinder
post Mar 2nd 2004, 7:23 PM
Post #76

Airman Basic

Member No.: 1,837

Speaking as an American, let me just say that we've had a lot worse happen in the White House than the president taking his shoes off so he can rub his toes on the Presidential Seal on the rug.  Besides, it's his first day. I'm sure anyone on the job for the first day is going to be excited...also....this is Stargate, so some fun and sarcasm are practically SOP.

Agreed, but let me add some other angles here. I defy anyone to remain "professional" at every waking moment of one's day. I mean, the president has to be the president every hour for four years. I doubt there's much time off. It's understandable, even expected, that any man would joke around a little and relax. Sure, on camera ol' Georgy has to be all serious, but behind the scenes I've heard that he's actually kinda funny (pretty hard not to laugh at him as it is.) And I'm sure Clinton was always all smiles. I mean, he played the sax! So, i guess what im trying to say is that i thought that the president portrayed in this episode was entirely plausible and convincing.
Moving on...I didn't like the episode much. If you take out all the clips, you have about 30 mins, maybe, of new footage. Get rid of the "funny" intro bit of it being his first day, and you have eh...20 mins, give or take. Now, granted, that 20 mins is spent on genuinely solid character development, BUT, im sure that could have been compressed a bit more and somehow been shoved into a more compelling episode. Supposedly, the season finally is going to be VERY exciting, but I've yet to see an episode of any show, SG-1 included, where the whole air time is consumed by important plot points.
Ah well...no use crying over spilled milk under the bridge. Looking forward to the finale.
One more point...to all those who haven't spoiled their experience yet...keep it up. I have no idea what's going to happen, and I love it like that. And to all those who keep reading the spoilers, lets try to keep the "I was dissappointed because I knew what was going to happen" posts to a minimum next week. No use reminding us how dumb you are.
+Quote Post
Mike
post Mar 2nd 2004, 7:31 PM
Post #77

I Piss Excellence
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 957

QUOTE (sidewinder @ Mar 2 2004, 07:23 PM)
And I'm sure Clinton was always all smiles. I mean, he played the sax! So, i guess what im trying to say is that i thought that the president portrayed in this episode was entirely plausible and convincing.

He was all smiles alright. The oval office, Monica Lewinsky. . . all smiles. laugh.gif

But that's neither here nor there.
+Quote Post
French Carter
post Mar 4th 2004, 9:07 AM
Post #78

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,179

QUOTE (mithwriter @ Mar 2 2004, 11:12 AM)
We knew nothing about the new president...and more importantly, we didn't know as much about how Kinsey was pulling the strings. There's a hint that he's willing and capable of assassinating the President to get what he wants. As far as he knows, he's got the President and Woolsey under his thumb, but Woolsey just switched sides, and the President is no fool. We also know that Hammond has given Woolsey the evidence on Kinsey to help keep him at bay if something happens. Considering what's going to happen in the season finale, this was a much-needed episode to catch the audience up on all the political players, because when the fireworks start there's not going to be time for that.

O.K, this episode underlines the fact that Kinsey is a big threat, even for the president but we knew that before. The political aspect was announced few episode ago. I am sorry but this episode could be resumed in 5 minutes and includes them at the beginning of TLC.
You really need this one to understand the season final ? I don't think so.

Speaking as an American, let me just say that we've had a lot worse happen in the White House than the president taking his shoes off so he can rub his toes on the Presidential Seal on the rug.  huh.gif  Besides, it's his first day. I'm sure anyone on the job for the first day is going to be excited...also....this is Stargate, so some fun and sarcasm are practically SOP.

For you, it is maybe a good aspect and description for a president but for me (and I speak only for me, not for the French) it is really a strange president !! Not caus' of the shoes but caus' of the relation between vice president/president especially. Why president do not go directly seeing what happened exactly at the SGC or simply why nobody show him the video of the T.V crew ???
I think it is just to show spectators in the world a good aspect of the president of the USA. whistling.gif
+Quote Post
J'Oneill2u
post Mar 6th 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #79

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,283

QUOTE (French Carter @ Mar 4 2004, 09:07 AM)
[I]s really a strange president !! Not caus' of the shoes but caus' of the relation between vice president/president especially. Why president do not go directly seeing what happened exactly at the SGC or simply why nobody show him the video of the T.V crew ??? I think it is just to show spectators in the world a good aspect of the president of the USA. whistling.gif

Nothing wrong with showing that a US president has an engaging, personable side. Many politicians do (and I've met quite a few) or they wouldn't get very far in that world. Didn't like the shoe thing. I don't know anyone (low or high position) that would walk around in his or her sock feet in front of other people on the first day of the job.

I also thought the president should have seen the video. Wasn't that sort of the point of doing a video - so that people would know why the stargate had been kept a secret for so long?

Finally, I half expected Kinsey's eyes to start glowing at some point. It would have thrown in a fabulous twist. Just imagine having a Goa'uld in the VP position.
+Quote Post
TDax
post Mar 6th 2004, 12:37 AM
Post #80

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,754

I would like to say "Hello" I am a newbie, not to Stargate, but to this forum. I know with the end? coming it might be a little late joining up, but this is the best Stargate forum I have found.

First, I have watched Stargate since the movie, I don't know all the heavy stuff like some of you out there, but it is a very enjoyable show and I know enough I think to keep from sounding like a total idiot, I hope jester.gif ...LOL.

I just finished watching tonight?s episode and I was very pleased. William Devane as President is a perfect choice, when he stopped to look at the Kennedy Bust was great, I thought he played JFK in a movie once and I always thought he looked like JFK. I am glad to see Devane not playing a puppet of Kinseys.

Kinsey is no George Apple that is for sure. I would like to get a sarcophagus and double Zat him several times a day just to pass the time away, call it a Presidential stress reliever. I also took it as when Kinsey was talking to the Woosley, he was indicating that if the President didn't play ball an assignation could be in the works.

I'll admit that I don't read the boards as much as I would like, but all through this episode I saw commercials for Stargate Atlantis, can any one or all of you explain what that is or direct me in the direction to find out what that will be and have they even talked about Presidential elections in past episodes and I just didn't hear it or what. You would think a change of administrations would be topic of the day at Cheyenne Mountain seeing how much Hammond has to use the red phone.

Anyway, I enjoy all of your posts and reading how much others enjoy the show too.

TDax, wishing that once I could travel through the gate.

+Quote Post
thatolchestnut
post Mar 6th 2004, 1:15 AM
Post #81

Airman Basic

Member No.: 3,178

I loved it!

You just gotta love how SG always sets the audience up in a clip show for a big bang (ex season 1). It was also pretty cool that they developed the plot a lot farther

Kinsey is now VP
Kinsey and NID still going strong
Kinsey is power hungry
The hint of a big gohuld fight refer to the comments on anubis
The hint of the lost city coming up

I dunno, i just like these political epis biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
The Moody Goa'uld
post Mar 6th 2004, 2:15 AM
Post #82

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 489

I just thought the coolest thing about this episode was there was a moment when it seemed to me like the character of the president was about to reach over and bite off the nose of Senator Kinsey.

During that first meeting with the president, the fancy general, kinsey and woolsey, it was apparent from a few of the close-ups of Woolsey that he was detecting something more in Kinsey's attitude; I saw Woolsey's change of heart as inevitable from that point of on.
+Quote Post
SG-15
post Mar 6th 2004, 2:45 PM
Post #83

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,901

It was alright. I just think all these current episodes were a little boring, but seem neccary to lead up to the finale. I was glad though that there weren't alot of clips.
+Quote Post
max000000
post Mar 6th 2004, 3:38 PM
Post #84

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (Dafmeister @ Feb 26 2004, 08:50 AM)
The actor's name is William Devane.

Hey haven't been around sg1archive since back when you could download here, but decided to stop by.

You may have recognized William Devane from Early Edition where he played Bernie Hobson, Gary's dad. He had the same personality and sense of humor in that show as he does here.
+Quote Post
dorien
post Mar 6th 2004, 7:15 PM
Post #85

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,776

QUOTE (SAS @ Feb 24 2004, 04:02 PM)
Quick Question the clip they showed of the gate room being shot up, any one have any idea what episode it was?

I believe it was Chain Reaction.

QUOTE (TDax @ Mar 6 2004, 12:37 AM)
...have they even talked about Presidential elections in past episodes and I just didn't hear it or what. You would think a change of administrations would be topic of the day at Cheyenne Mountain seeing how much Hammond has to use the red phone.

In terms of the series reality, we've been lead to believe that the previous President, who was always a nameless supporter of the SGC, served two terms starting in 1996. So this is the first administration change. References to an upcoming change can be found in Chain Reaction, Smoke and Mirrors and Heroes.

A nearly clipless clip show. How original ohmy.gif . Much better than Disclosure was.

As the President reviewed mission reports and as Woolsey made his case against the SGC, the examples just kept getting wilder. Almost to the point of being unbelievable, especially to someone hearing it for the first time. It kind of mirrored the briefing scene from Fallen/Homecoming when Jack exclaims that the current mission is the "wackiest" ever and Sam proceeds with the "wackier than....?" comparisons. It's almost as though the writers took this opportunity to look back at previous stories and laugh at the audacity of what they've done to the characters over the years. Including shippyness. laugh.gif

William Devane as the President was an excellent casting choice. He came across as sympathetic to the SGC but like "Bob", he too has his own agenda. And anyone who remembers him as Greg Sumner from Knot's Landing will recognize that the guy can play a total scum but always appear charming and reasonable. So I'll remain leery of his motives/actions. Woolsey's too. He may hold himself to a certain ethical/moral standard but I'm not convinced by his change of allegiance. Time will tell.

Did anyone see a scene where the winner of SciFi's walk-on role appeared?

+Quote Post
sg1rox37
post Mar 6th 2004, 8:31 PM
Post #86

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,212

it was super dry and the show is Stargate SG-1 did anyone else notice that SG-1 wasent even in this ep at all- i ment any new sg1 i 4got bout the flash back clips but the was no new sg-1-!!!!!!!! i kept waiting for sg1 to com into the picture but they never did! usualy i like the ones with the political people in it but it was toooo dry, lack of music and - new- SG-1 bothered me

This post has been edited by sg1rox37: Mar 6th 2004, 10:06 PM
+Quote Post
Corporal McKee
post Mar 6th 2004, 8:59 PM
Post #87

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,653

Presidents are normal people, too.

Presidents DO have personalities you know, and they CAN have a sense of humor, even if its just behind doors, like we saw the president here.
+Quote Post
seymour
post Mar 6th 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #88

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,394

Season 8, we can have the new President as the series star (before the name of the show), his character does seem somewhat O'Neillish.....................I could visualize O'Neill in his BDUs saying some of the President's dialogue.

This episode was a new development, it was definitely not a clip-show and the few clips shown did not add to the episode because they were too brief to be meaningful (and really would have confused the uninitiated). It was almost like an episode for a spin-off series "The President and the Alien Conspiracy." However, the acting was terrific.

What seems odd to me was that the President didn't (apparently at least not on screen) try to directly talk to the people under investigation, i.e. Hammond and the members of SG-1. He definitely seems to be a character who doesn't take any B.S. and would talk directly to the source which of course begs the question "Why did he choose Kinsey as his running mate?"

I think Woolsey was right on the mark when he said SG-1 should at least take a couple of sick days off, at least Teal'c, Carter and Daniel should. O'Neill (as we are all painfully aware this season) is having plenty of sick days at present. Ahh the days when he was able to die several times and episode and be brought back to life for torture sessions (Abyss) only to be back leading SG-1 on another dangerous mission the very next episode.
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Mar 6th 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #89

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

QUOTE (dorien @ Mar 6 2004, 07:15 PM)
Did anyone see a scene where the winner of SciFi's walk-on role appeared?

I saw a still shot a long time ago where she's in the room with a bunch of other people that probably shows up in part2 of Lost City, since that's the ep she was scheduled for. However, I think she might've also been the one in this episode when The President is letting Woolsey or someone out and a woman is at the door and she enters the Oval Office, and he says something like "Bonnie, hi, nice to see you again."

I haven't looked at anything about the winner in months, but I think that was her.
+Quote Post
dorien
post Mar 7th 2004, 7:41 AM
Post #90

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,776

QUOTE (mithwriter @ Mar 6 2004, 10:15 PM)
I saw a still shot a long time ago where she's in the room with a bunch of other people that probably shows up in part2 of Lost City, since that's the ep she was scheduled for.

I remembered that she was in an episode with William Devane but not the show's title so I thought this was it. rolleyes.gif

I'm too young for a "senior moment". laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Heru'ur
post Mar 8th 2004, 1:42 PM
Post #91

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,671

I thought this episode was kinda boring since it was just people sitting around discussing past events and future plans. It didnt even have sg-1 in it doing anything new. It just had short clips from previous episodes. I guess they must have been busy filming all those great scenes from the Lost City. Which will be quite excellent. w00t.gif
+Quote Post
gategirl
post Mar 8th 2004, 5:57 PM
Post #92

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,603

Well, I too was dismayed at getting another clipshow, but it wasn't too unbearable. Love the new pres. nice to know the face behind the red phone. Just hope that slimebucket Kinsey doesn't kill him off.

I think Kinsey hung himself out to dry when he assumed that Woolsey was just like himself. Robert Picard rocks.

All I can say is the next two shows better be outstanding, because we need it after the last few. Waiting for next (final sad.gif ) season will be agony.
+Quote Post
Firefly
post Mar 11th 2004, 6:25 PM
Post #93

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,304

Not too bad of an episode for not having SG-1 in it...I could've done without it, though, I guess. Oh well. Nice to see that guy at the end turning in Kinsey.
+Quote Post
Jetdeck
post Mar 21st 2004, 6:59 PM
Post #94

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,965

QUOTE (Corporal McKee @ Mar 6 2004, 07:59 PM)
Presidents are normal people, too.

Presidents DO have personalities you know, and they CAN have a sense of humor, even if its just behind doors, like we saw the president here.

Yeah, but it made him look just a little nerdy. And that made me nervous, with the ever hated, and evil Kinsey hanging around! crying.gif
+Quote Post
lonejedi75
post May 9th 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #95

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,983

I really liked this ep, manly because of the president. for the past seasons all we have ever heard of the president was that he favored the SGC but he was also very political. Now we have a face to relate to and reasons behind all the decisions done by him.

We also see all the heat that he is under, from other nations to his Vice. "evil guy that Vice" But the best part to me is that we sow some morals behind him. to me, he is now like, Hammonds Father figure.
+Quote Post
Mac.Fan
post May 9th 2004, 5:29 AM
Post #96

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,500

I just saw the episode. It was a good one. The chief of staff(genral) trying to defend Hammond and SG1. The president couldnot belive what was going on and what SG1 been though in the past seven years. Kinsey is a a** hole. It was a shame that thor didnt drop in and had a little chat with the president and told him about kinsey and what he has done and now trying to do. alien.gif w00t.gif
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 1st 2014 - 5:27 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.