Rating  5
Bowley
post Aug 5th 2004, 2:00 PM
Post #73

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,801

I was wondering... The ending, when Jack says they gave them the address to the gate that was pulled into a black hole. Isn't that gate gone by now? And if it hasn't, then isn't it safe to say that the planet it was on is so far from where the gate coordinates pointed to, that the address just wouldn't work anymore?

I like the idea of deviously giving them the black hole coords as much as the next guy, but I don't think it would work.

Also, this may be bad diplomacy... but is it reasonable that the Aschen don't have any kind of shield protecting their stargate? Since they have no reason to. Howabout just sending a nice Naquedah, or hell, even a Naquadriah enhanced super bomb over there... just to show em!
Stupid Aschen...think they're so smart... mad.gif

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Sam
post Sep 3rd 2004, 1:07 PM
Post #74

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,804

OK, I still REALLY dislike Kinsey. He's got his head so far up his @$$ it's unbelievable!! mad.gif

Joe was cute, and you could see he fell for Sam straight off! cloud9.gif

Best scenes: when everyone just steps back from the line looks at Joe when he turns up wearing a suit (and the repeated comments about his shoes). And the scene at the end when Sam comes crashing through the gate. Jack tells her she did well and checks she's OK (although he does leave that a little late!). Bit's with Kinsey funny too.

Did anyone see Chevron Guy's look when Kinsey says to Hammond about retiring? Pure class!

I think the shot of the farm track near the stargate was the same as used in Singularity. Anyone else notice?
+Quote Post
CitizenK
post Oct 22nd 2004, 7:14 PM
Post #75

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,783

QUOTE (Dr Sam @ Sep 3rd 2004, 1:07 PM)

Did anyone see Chevron Guy's look when Kinsey says to Hammond about retiring? Pure class!

You know, I'm going to have to rewatch this episode for that remark from Kinsey to Hammond. I didn't pay attention to it when I watched it. At least, I didn't catch its significance.

It merely proves what a sleaze Kinsey is. Why ? Because in Chain Reaction from season 4, Hammond retired from his position as commander of the SGC. Rather, he was forcably retired by members of the NID. During the episode, Jack (with help from disgraced NID Colonel Maybourne) discovered that Kinsey was the architect of Hammond's forced retirement. Luckily, Jack was able to blackmail Kinsey into getting Hammond reinstated.

So, to have Kinsey comment to Hammond about retiring is really really sleazy and slimey.

Also, love the chevron guy, Sgt Davis. It's always been obvious that he was loyal to Hammond and the SGC. But he should have slugged Kinsey for that remark ! O'Neill would have.

This post has been edited by CitizenK: Oct 22nd 2004, 7:16 PM
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Nov 30th 2004, 9:36 PM
Post #76

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 3,724

I dunno but any episode with the Ashen just creeps me out. I have to admit I did like Joe a bit more in this than in 2010, maybe because he hadn't become all decietful yet.
Did anyone notice the look O'Neill gave Carter after Joe asked her out? Kinda like a 'ya got your self a date there pretty lady' (<<insert weird cowboy accent here>>). He truely looked happy for her IMO.
Everyone staring at Joe in the suit and O'Neill going on about the shoes was great, then he turns back to Carter and gives her a look to say 'can you believe this guy?'.
It was certainly less 'dark' than 2010. And I know someone mentioned earlier about them possibly being a different species because of their height, maybe they just have higher gravity on their planet.
I thought it might have been somewhat careless to even give them the address to the black hole planet, with their technology they might be able to manipulate it to serve their purposes, hell they can make a sun! And if the replicators can mess with black holes there's a good chance the Ashen might also have the ability.
Lastly, any time I see Kinsey I just wanna bitchslap him! wink.gif whistling.gif
+Quote Post
dschnell
post Feb 24th 2005, 10:45 AM
Post #77

Airman Basic

Member No.: 8,201

Now, I just got done watch 2001 again and a point strikes that I'd like to hear others reactions.

When Sam hands Borin the paper to read, he seems to answer the question off the cuff, not like someone who is hiding an agenda. Additionally his shock at Sams accusation makes me question if all of the Aschen populace are privvy to the Aschen leadership plan's for galatic conquest, or could it be that Borin is from one of the worlds the Aschen first conquered and has since been inducted into their ideals, but not given information about the Aschens true plan.
+Quote Post
dschnell
post Feb 24th 2005, 10:55 AM
Post #78

Airman Basic

QUOTE(Apis @ Oct 19th 2003, 1:45 AM)
I had three major problems with this episode:

1) The fact that when they first come through the Stargate the path leading from the Stargate is a tire track path.  I mean, Come on; what are the chances of the Aschen or Volians using a ground vehicle anyways?

Maybe the Volians had to revert back to Ox cart? Remember I forget the Volians name, states the Aschen pretty much just leave them alone. Since the Volian was mending a fence, I'm assuming that the Aschen and the Volians kind of do their own thing when it comes to agriculture/harvesting. So you'd think the Volians would then need somekind of transport.

2)The fact that when Daniel came out of the ancient city, the Newspapers that he had with him were conveniently packed into nice little cardboard tubes.  Its like the Volian's just knew that they were about to disappear and they wanted to save some of their newspapers for an alien team who would come to their planet a hundred years later.

I believe the building they were in was a Library or Newspaper of somekind. Could just be left over archive material the Aschen plowed over.

+Quote Post
Wotan
post Apr 22nd 2005, 4:26 AM
Post #79

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,878

quite honestly I don't think that the Tok'ra would trade with us anyway. I get the impression that they are in it for their own gains!
+Quote Post
Heru-ER
post May 29th 2005, 6:08 PM
Post #80

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,089

Aschen another dangerous race but its bad they have been under attack of Goauld or why Asgard dont care of them
+Quote Post
Heru-ER
post Jun 12th 2005, 1:10 PM
Post #81

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,089

Hate watching Kinsey again ploting just to get technology
+Quote Post
Spineshank
post Sep 16th 2005, 10:51 AM
Post #82

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,951

I thought the idea for this episode was really smart, how they used the fact that this race was on a different planet and we still almost did what we were warned not to do. Even though the Aschen seem nice, they are very creepy, and if O'Neill had a bad feeling about them everyone should've. Them offering all the technology to us is just to easy, we should know better than to think there weren't any strings attached to this deal. Thats the way it works on Earth, nothing worth while is easy to get. Aschen are creepy.
+Quote Post
David_ofthe_Tar'e
post Sep 17th 2005, 2:59 AM
Post #83

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,996

They were very creepy indeed. I never liked the look of them though, to bad whats his name had to die. Ifelt a bit bad for him. Hope they get screwed with the blackhole gate.
+Quote Post
Spineshank
post Sep 17th 2005, 7:51 AM
Post #84

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,951

QUOTE(David_ofthe_Tar'e @ Sep 17th 2005, 3:59 AM)
They were very creepy indeed. I never liked the look of them though, to bad whats his name had to die. Ifelt a bit bad for him. Hope they get screwed with the blackhole gate.

Yeah thats right Faxon dies doesn't he, all he had to do was jump into the gate at the end i wonder why he didnt try. I would've, yeah hopefully they got sucked up through the black hole gate and now are wiped out. Except i did hear speculation about another episode with the Aschen possibly in the works so who knows.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jan 3rd 2006, 1:21 PM
Post #85

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(dschnell @ Feb 24th 2005, 10:45 AM) *

Now, I just got done watch 2001 again and a point strikes that I'd like to hear others reactions.

When Sam hands Borin the paper to read, he seems to answer the question off the cuff, not like someone who is hiding an agenda. Additionally his shock at Sams accusation makes me question if all of the Aschen populace are privvy to the Aschen leadership plan's for galatic conquest, or could it be that Borin is from one of the worlds the Aschen first conquered and has since been inducted into their ideals, but not given information about the Aschens true plan.

In watching it, I also thought that Borin wasn't aware of what certain Aschens had been doing. He seemed totally surprised by what he read and Sam's accusation.

I agree with everyone the Aschen are a very scary race. I'm kind of glad that they gave them very bad gate addresses, the first being a black hole.

Like everyone, I detest Kinsey. He's a snake and deserves to be one, LOL! wink.gif
+Quote Post
blackbelt83
post Feb 3rd 2006, 5:22 PM
Post #86

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,345

I liked the ep. for a few reasons it was funny but also serious. In the begining when they take the congress men to the planet "it's the shoes they are going to get recked". also at the end Oniell "it's oneill with two L's " as he hold up three figers. I dont get why they just dont find away to get rid of kindsy
» Click for Spoiler «
+Quote Post
SGCforever
post Mar 17th 2006, 8:27 AM
Post #87

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,990

This was an excellent episode. Now we see the true evil that the aschen are. If it wasn't for Teal'c and Daniel finding the underground city and those old newspapers, then I think we would have ended up with the same future that Jack and Sam tried to prevent in the first place. There was one thing that I thought was a little much, but still was pretty cool, the biobomb that the aschen built, where it attacks only the DNA of a certain race. I admit, the aschen technology is pretty good, it's just too bad that they are evil. Why is it that every race we potentially have good relations with, and perhaps can trade with end up being bad, or have something bad done? dry.gif Oh well, not much we can do about it. Overall, I liked this episode, definitely one I'd watch again. And that's O'Neill with two L's!
+Quote Post
dschnell
post Jan 3rd 2008, 9:05 AM
Post #88

Airman Basic

QUOTE(PennyAfNorberg @ Apr 2nd 2003, 5:11 AM) *

<!#QuoteBegin#tomcat2371+Apr 2 2003, 10:00 AM#></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tomcat2371 @ Apr 2 2003, 10:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!#QuoteEBegin#>
If they can turn a planet into a sun then they should know about stellar drift.
The aschen had no problem with that laptop with the gate coordinates. They were able to dial up earth. <!#QuoteEnd#> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!#QuoteEEnd#>
To compensate for the stellar drift you need to know the starting positions, Aschen didn't prior to '2001' and if I got Jack right they didn't give them any good adresses, first one being a black holes and then going progressly worse

Then of course, you can use the adress to mean things
Strange that they were given earths gateadress thou, seem like bad idea

I suspect the Aschen retrieved Earth's gate address from the memory of the Volian gate. For some reason I seem to remember an address buffer to the gates function. As for the gate addresses SG1 gave the Aschen, I'm hoping this race is as smart as they appear and figured these were bogus addresses. I don't know why, but I really enjoyed the Aschen. I liked them a lot better than most of the Stargate enemies.

QUOTE(ussshorty @ Apr 16th 2003, 6:41 AM) *

he seemed alot nicer in 2001 swell and plus he got on with jck better its like they hd this constant spite towards each other in 2010 and to be honest i didnt like that.

I suspect having spent more time under Senator and then President Kinsey's influence in 2010, not to mention the shadiness of the Aschen population deal, jaded the Ambassador. It seems in 2001 Joe was still a wide eyed optimist, at least when it came to dealing with alien cultures.

I wonder what kind of background experience he had - i.e. which Earth countries was he the American Ambassador to?

QUOTE(Apis @ Oct 19th 2003, 1:45 AM) *

I had three major problems with this episode:

1) The fact that when they first come through the Stargate the path leading from the Stargate is a tire track path. I mean, Come on; what are the chances of the Aschen or Volians using a ground vehicle anyways?

2)The fact that when Daniel came out of the ancient city, the Newspapers that he had with him were conveniently packed into nice little cardboard tubes. Its like the Volian's just knew that they were about to disappear and they wanted to save some of their newspapers for an alien team who would come to their planet a hundred years later.

3) I also didn't really like the fact that when Carter went to take the rope out of her backpack it appeared to be the only item in there. I mean she should have been sorting through tonnes of items and yet she pulled out the rope as the first item.

This may be better suited for NitPicks, but I'll add my two cents anyway...

1. We only saw two types of Aschen technology - the Harvester and the transporter. The Aschen might have ground vehicles, though I doubt it. Also, ground vehicles might have been created for the Volians sake. We only saw one farmer Keal, and no offense but he didn't seem the brightest bulb in the bunch, maybe other Volians use somekind of ground transport to do some of their work or get around.

2. Well this was a sort of library, so it's possible these were just standard storage devices. It's also possible a few people who figured out the plot, left them as a warning to others.

3. Well a rope is a pretty big item, so I can't see grabbing it first as being a problem. Maybe a few candy wrappers could have flown out of the bag when she grabbed the rope just to show it wasn't the only thing in the bag.

QUOTE(dschnell @ Feb 24th 2005, 11:55 AM) *

Maybe the Volians had to revert back to Ox cart? Remember I forget the Volians name, states the Aschen pretty much just leave them alone. Since the Volian was mending a fence, I'm assuming that the Aschen and the Volians kind of do their own thing when it comes to agriculture/harvesting. So you'd think the Volians would then need somekind of transport.
I believe the building they were in was a Library or Newspaper of somekind. Could just be left over archive material the Aschen plowed over.

Hmmm, I like the Aschen so much it would appear I'm answering questions I've already answered. Sorry about that everyone.

QUOTE(SGCforever @ Mar 17th 2006, 9:27 AM) *

This was an excellent episode. Now we see the true evil that the aschen are. If it wasn't for Teal'c and Daniel finding the underground city and those old newspapers, then I think we would have ended up with the same future that Jack and Sam tried to prevent in the first place. There was one thing that I thought was a little much, but still was pretty cool, the biobomb that the aschen built, where it attacks only the DNA of a certain race. I admit, the aschen technology is pretty good, it's just too bad that they are evil. Why is it that every race we potentially have good relations with, and perhaps can trade with end up being bad, or have something bad done? dry.gif Oh well, not much we can do about it. Overall, I liked this episode, definitely one I'd watch again. And that's O'Neill with two L's!

Does the bio-bomb prove the Aschen are a different species? I mean they send it through the Stargate, so there is little risk of exposure to it's effect if they are indeed humans from ancient Earth.

If they are from ancient Earth and if we are to believe the events of 2010, then the Aschen occupy a part of space the Gou'ald are either not interested in or haven't visited in a long time. Anyone have any theories as to why this could be?

This post has been edited by dschnell: Jan 3rd 2008, 9:06 AM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 24th 2014 - 9:40 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.