Xbuster
post Jun 23rd 2004, 4:25 PM
Post #49

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,194

QUOTE (npfosho @ Jun 23 2004, 04:20 PM)
how was the iris crushed like a tin can? I understood it was unbreakable. It still looked cool when it was sucked in by th black hole.

Well, you see... the thing we call black hole is actually really really REALLY strong in its suckin' and grabbin' and pullin'... I don't think anything can withstand something like a black hole, not even an iris. Go figure. hypocrite.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Wolf_
post Jul 1st 2004, 4:39 AM
Post #50

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,814

Well i cracked when carter said "kaputt" in one sentence.

Instantly i remembered this german sentence " Hilfe hilfe mein volkswagen ist kaputt"
+Quote Post
SiegeDeSpahr
post Sep 2nd 2004, 1:59 AM
Post #51

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,200

Had quite a few qualms with the physics, but otherwise, this is still one of my top 10. Sam just seems to floorish when she's given the impossible on a non-existant time table! YAY for techies!!!
+Quote Post
Dr Sam
post Sep 3rd 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #52

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,804

Definately up there with my favourites for season 2. I just love the whole episode! There's the science (possibly dodgy, but what the hell!), and the whole tension/emotion thing with Jack and that other guy (sorry, his name escapes me), plus Sam being frustrated at not being able to sort it out and then (of course!) coming up with a solution. Plus the SFX were great!
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Sep 29th 2004, 11:02 AM
Post #53

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 3,724

I think someone asked why the wormhole had to jump from this end to another gate instead of connecting the black hole to another gate, ok, two reasons. First the wormhole was out going and secondly think Solitudes where there was a surge of power that caused the gate to overload thus jumping the wormhole to another gate. That's what they needed the bomb for.
I'm not sure if there is a way to calculate or determine whether the other SG team is infact still alive now, ask Stephen Hawking, or Carter...
I don't see how they couldn't have known previously about there being a black hole there, the distance it was from the planet at the time the SGC dialed into the planet would suggest that it was fairly close and would certanly have been visible when they sent the malp through before even sending any personel.
If you want to learn about the whole relativity thing I suggest reading A brief history of time by Stephen Hawking, it's pretty straight forward and the man certainly does have a sense of humour.
Ok, enough of the science talk. It was good to learn a little about O'Neill's past, helps us to better understand his character, of course he can't forgive Cromwell, he can't even forgive himself. Carter explaining stuff with food LoL! If time was slowing down inside the mountain, what would have happened if another team off world wanted to dial home when earth was connected to the black hole? Does that make sense?
+Quote Post
mr_d8a
post Oct 13th 2004, 1:07 PM
Post #54

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,984

QUOTE (magnavox @ Sep 29th 2004, 11:02 AM)
If time was slowing down inside the mountain, what would have happened if another team off world wanted to dial home when earth was connected to the black hole? Does that make sense?

Being a science type I will give this a try...

Nothing would happen. If the Stargate is engaged then another gate would not be able to establish a connection.

James
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Oct 14th 2004, 3:02 PM
Post #55

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

QUOTE (mr_d8a @ Oct 13th 2004, 1:07 PM)
Being a science type I will give this a try...

Nothing would happen. If the Stargate is engaged then another gate would not be able to establish a connection.

James

Ok, I should have worded that better, what I ment was If say, earth had a black hole near it like that planet did, would we then be able to recieve a connection from another gate and have that team be able to come home safely cause they have to open the iris on this end and if time is slower here could there be enough of a delay for them to go splat?
+Quote Post
Tashunka_Witko
post Oct 15th 2004, 4:20 AM
Post #56

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,824

QUOTE (magnavox @ Oct 14th 2004, 10:02 PM)
Ok, I should have worded that better, what I ment was If say, earth had a black hole near it like that planet did, would we then be able to recieve a connection from another gate and have that team be able to come home safely cause they have to open the iris on this end and if time is slower here could there be enough of a delay for them to go splat?

I think yes, it should be possible to dial the Gate, but maybe it wouldn't work because of the safety protocols.
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Oct 15th 2004, 9:22 PM
Post #57

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

But would the iris open quick enough to let them through if time is slower on this end? It might take longer for the iris to open unless time in the wormhole slows down the closer it is to earth, although that brings up the question as to whether the dimention in which the wormhole exists is affected by this dimentions laws of time & space?
+Quote Post
Kaileron
post Dec 20th 2004, 5:02 PM
Post #58

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,284

An 8. Even if thinking about it can give me an headache like Hammond and O'niell.
It was a very interesting episode but vague as well. For instance, I still don't understand how Daniel and his team got of that planet. Ok, I can buy this stuff that the wormhole on Earth got shut down by that blast. That means the wormhole with the blackhole-planet was lost. How on Earth did they dial again to that planet, the black hole still existed so establishing a wormhole with the beta-gate shouldnt have worked now would it blink.gif Im so confused Confuzzled.gif
A minor point was that other commando dude. Like a wanabee-O'Niell. Totally unnecesary. The producers should have left that nobody out of the entire episode. It didnt contribute to anything special but knowing that Jack spent four months in an Iraqi prison. Who cares, about such trivial nonsense information.
That is the only reason I dont give it a 9 sleep.gif
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Dec 24th 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #59

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

It was a very interesting episode but vague as well. For instance, I still don't understand how Daniel and his team got of that planet.

Daniel and the other SG unit wasn't ON the black hole planet. He was with another team doing a dig. The Sg team on the black hole planet was led by a guy named Henry Boyd, and it was his first mission.

A minor point was that other commando dude. Like a wanabee-O'Niell. Totally unnecesary. The producers should have left that nobody out of the entire episode. It didnt contribute to anything special but knowing that Jack spent four months in an Iraqi prison. Who cares, about such trivial nonsense information.
That is the only reason I dont give it a 9 -_-sion for his new team.

Cromwell was a part of the overall theme of 'no one gets left behind' that O'Neill demonstrated early in the episode. When Boyd's team was in trouble, O'Neill was the first one to volunteer SG-1 for the rescue. Cromwell was a great example from O'Neill's past about when O'Neill had been the one left behind in a 'no hope of rescue' scenario. It was also a great tie-in at the end that Cromwell was trying to get some measure of forgiveness for what had happened between the two of them, especially when he was trying to save O'Neill from being pulled into the wormhole/blackhole, yet ulimately lost his own life in trying to make up for a past mistake.

This is my favorite episode - ever...dodgy physics be damned wink.gif
+Quote Post
BrandonTheGreat
post Jan 13th 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #60

Unregistered

This episode here is rather confusing, by short distances, time can be longer? I don't really understand black hole theory to begin with. But distances determine how long time moves.
+Quote Post
cvvrede
post Feb 9th 2005, 1:06 PM
Post #61

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,767

QUOTE(Pearce1340 @ Jan 30th 2003, 5:11 PM)
This is cool, I wonder what would really happen being that close to a black whole, I feel sorry for the men traped on the planet, although for them it wont seem long, but they will be stuck there forever, with time getting slower and slower. poor them.

Well eventually they will be sucked up by the dark hole, right. And for them it would only seem like a couple of seconds.

I liked this episode because of the things you get to know about what O'Neill did before he joined the SGC. And we now know where his "We don't leave our people behind"attitude comes from.
+Quote Post
ClampenShaften
post Feb 28th 2005, 8:49 AM
Post #62

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,227

QUOTE(cvvrede @ Feb 9th 2005, 6:06 PM)
Well eventually they will be sucked up by the dark hole, right. And for them it would only seem like a couple of seconds.

I liked this episode because of the things you get to know about what O'Neill did before he joined the SGC. And we now know where his "We don't leave our people behind"attitude comes from.

yeah i agree. it is quite a good episode in that aspect. O'Neill's history does have an impact in this episode.

I really enjoyed this episode as it introduced real physical theories into the concept behind the stargate technology.

great episode.
+Quote Post
Apis
post Jun 17th 2005, 1:30 AM
Post #63

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,116

Why didn't SG1 smash out all of the windows on the control room before sending Colonel O'Neill and that other guy down to detonate the bomb?

I mean, they should of known that the structural integrity of the windows were poor considering that one had already broken; and the larger gravitational force obviously would have resulted in shards of glass having massive momentum (thus becomming deadly). It would be a safety hazard to send men into a situation where they could become bombarded by deadly shrapnel without warning. I think Carter was too busy focusing her giant brain on donuts this episode.
+Quote Post
dorien
post Jun 18th 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #64

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,776

QUOTE(Apis @ Jun 17th 2005, 1:30 AM)
Why didn't SG1 smash out all of the windows on the control room before sending Colonel O'Neill and that other guy down to detonate the bomb?

At the very least, it's bulletproof glass. How would you have them break it?
+Quote Post
I'm a janitor at the SGC 7150
post Mar 2nd 2006, 4:45 AM
Post #65

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,279

this is one of my top 5 favorite episodes...i mean it dosent get any better than this...stargate at its finest....i wish the dvd contained info on how they made this episode....oh well....im glad we got to know a little about jacks past...sucked when his friend died at the end....music in this episode was great....good job Joel Goldsmith....i loved how carter used a donut to demonstrate how the star gate works.....at the end of the show jack should have said " i deserve two weeks pay" but it was fine.....even if we failed to close the wormhole im sure the tokra would have eventually come to earth in a cargo ship and towed the gate into space...but who knows.....oh and this is the first episode where we see major davis
+Quote Post
blackbelt83
post Mar 6th 2006, 1:40 AM
Post #66

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,345

I like this ep. Also because it tells us more about O?neill?s history. It is also very important to several future ep.
+Quote Post
Ancient Kane
post May 29th 2006, 2:54 PM
Post #67

Unregistered

Lmao great episode at the beginning it thought my TV and seriously been screwed up. I know i know D.U.M
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 22nd 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #68

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

I just watched this ep on Scifi, and at the end Carter names the planet that the gate successully jumped to. Should the next closest gate always be Abidos?
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 23rd 2008, 12:58 AM
Post #69

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 22nd 2008, 10:32 PM) *

I just watched this ep on Scifi, and at the end Carter names the planet that the gate successully jumped to. Should the next closest gate always be Abidos?

I think it was the closest gate between Earth and the involved planet... like it would have jumped to a planet close to the other one or in the line of sight or something... I dunno...
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 23rd 2008, 2:06 AM
Post #70

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 23rd 2008, 12:58 AM) *

I think it was the closest gate between Earth and the involved planet... like it would have jumped to a planet close to the other one or in the line of sight or something... I dunno...

Oh Yes, you're right. They got sent to the Antartica gate when they were inbound to Earth, and since they were outbond to where ever they were.... Thanks.
+Quote Post
Chris_Johnston
post Oct 18th 2009, 1:51 PM
Post #71

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 33,695

I'm just now getting caught up with the show on Hulu. I think this was the last episode I'd seen when it was in its first run on Showtime. Somehow I missed an episode or two, and just couldn't get back in the groove, so I stopped watching after that.

But this was a great episode! I loved how they covered the time dilation effect on the GDO signal, and the Redshifting of the image from the MALP.

Everybody's already covered pretty much all the cool bits, but I really loved that part where Carter gives O'Neill some technical information, and Cromwell turns to see Jack nod knowingly: "Don't even pretend you understood that."
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 19th 2014 - 3:04 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.