Rating  4
Dafmeister
post May 25th 2007, 3:49 PM
Post #73

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

I have to agree with Indy. Teal'c's voice is rarely (up to this point in the show anyway) anything more than monotonal. Early in SG-1 we only really saw any change when he got or was getting mad.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post May 25th 2007, 4:01 PM
Post #74

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(IndyJan @ May 25th 2007, 8:54 PM) *

See that's the thing about Teal'c, he doesn't change, he doesn't vary, at least not in the early episodes. Jack played him exactly the way Teal'c was at this time. In the later seasons, 9 and 10 specifically, yes he changed, but not in the early ones.

I know he was quite blunt then, and RDA did get it kinda right imo, I just think he went a little too blunt. Teal'c did vary in places at that point, or put more emphasis in some places. RDA just played EVERYTHING straight, and while that is in some large cases accurate, I felt a little more variation was a bit more like teal'c at the time.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: May 25th 2007, 4:01 PM
+Quote Post
wonderland
post May 25th 2007, 4:06 PM
Post #75

Major General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,411

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ May 25th 2007, 4:49 PM) *

I have to agree with Indy. Teal'c's voice is rarely (up to this point in the show anyway) anything more than monotonal. Early in SG-1 we only really saw any change when he got or was getting mad.

I may be wrong but I can't remember Teal'c even raising his voice until "The Serpent's Lair" when Klorel is ribboning Daniel and he urges Jack to act. Even when he was threatening to kill someone (such as offering to dismember Maybourne) he did so with an unchanging tone.
The way I see the Jack in Teal'c argument is that RDA had to play Teal'c very low key whereas Christopher Judge was free to go over the top with Jack and we probably wouldn't even have noticed!
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post May 25th 2007, 4:53 PM
Post #76

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,463

Guys, I did not mean to infer that CJ ever really "yelled" or even "raised his voice". What I meant was that he very normally projects his voice without trying. RDA's protrayal of Teal'c's solemness was to turn his voice almost to a whisper.

Now again, I'm applying RL logic to a fantasy scenario, but if Teal'c were indeed in Jack, I think he would find this difference in his voice annoying and would probably physically try to project himself more than he would normally do in his own body.

What it boils down to for me tho, is that RDA's performance in this episode was identical to the episode I described earlier. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, I'm just trying to make sure everyone knows what I meant in mine.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post May 26th 2007, 1:49 AM
Post #77

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

I understand and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just happen to disagree.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post May 26th 2007, 2:19 AM
Post #78

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

I also disagree... It's all about the decibels he projects his voice with. In his body, he doesn't force himself to talk like that, that is how he talks. In Jack, he wouldn't force himself the same, because he would hear himself the same, even if Jack's voice is lower on the decibel scale. So, he wouldn't try to make his voice sound louder, because he wouldn't feel a difference.

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: May 26th 2007, 2:20 AM
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post May 27th 2007, 1:51 AM
Post #79

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ May 26th 2007, 2:19 AM) *

I also disagree... It's all about the decibels he projects his voice with. In his body, he doesn't force himself to talk like that, that is how he talks. In Jack, he wouldn't force himself the same, because he would hear himself the same, even if Jack's voice is lower on the decibel scale. So, he wouldn't try to make his voice sound louder, because he wouldn't feel a difference.

Correct, he knew he was in Jack, but he was still Teal'c and at that point in time, Teal'c didn't overreact. Teal'c stayed very low key.
+Quote Post
Chris_Johnston
post Oct 18th 2009, 2:30 PM
Post #80

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 33,695

QUOTE(CitizenK @ Apr 29th 2004, 5:43 AM) *

I do have to say that I thought Christopher Judge's imitation of RDA (Col O'Neill) was absolutely on the money. He had his mannerisms and sarcastic speech down pat,"Ya think?" He was hilarious !

Although, I didn't think RDA did quite as good a job imitating Christopher Judge,

I totally agree. CJ was phenomenal, but RDA was a little bit painful to watch.

However, if you folks are looking for a good body switch episode, you have to watch the TV show Farscape. Check out the second season episode called Out of My Mind. They had Crichton and Aeran switch as well as Ka'dago, Chiana, Pilot and Rigel. I won't tell you what Crichton did while in Aeran's body, but it was pretty funny. Now, that show was a hoot and a half.

Yes, absolutely!

Crichton [in Aeryn's body]: "Aw, c'mon! They're right here!"

This post has been edited by Chris_Johnston: Oct 18th 2009, 2:33 PM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 24th 2014 - 4:29 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.