Rating  5
Stargate Master
post Jun 21st 2004, 2:46 PM
Post #97

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,193

This episode is funny aswell as having alot of anticipation. The funniest part of this episode is seeing SG-1 with 1960's clothes on.

Reece Cheats

reece@trevor1964.plus.com

united_kingdom.gif

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
row4d
post Jul 5th 2004, 8:47 PM
Post #98

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,895

QUOTE (Tiger Bailey @ Nov 22 2003, 11:06 PM)
And funny about Daniel being 3 in 1969! smile.gif

I believe Daniel said he was four and a half in 1969, when Jack was talking about classic Corvettes.
+Quote Post
Nutmeg
post Jul 5th 2004, 10:04 PM
Post #99

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,445

I may be overly nitpicky, but there were two things that bugged me. First was that the first fake name Jack gave was Capt. James T. Kirk. The original StarTrek aired in 1966, so the interogator would know that he was being jerked around - but seemed to take it seriously. Second, the license plate was a modern day one - the green & white mountain background. There were probably other anachronisms, but those jumped out at me.
+Quote Post
row4d
post Jul 5th 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #100

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,895

QUOTE (Nutmeg @ Jul 5 2004, 10:04 PM)
I may be overly nitpicky, but there were two things that bugged me. First was that the first fake name Jack gave was Capt. James T. Kirk. The original StarTrek aired in 1966, so the interogator would know that he was being jerked around - but seemed to take it seriously.

This was addressed in the episode analysis at GateWorld:

O'Neill gave two false names during his interrogation: James T. Kirk and Luke Skywalker. The major who was questioning him was not familiar with Star Trek, which aired from 1966 to 1969 but did not gain widespread popularity until the 1970s. As for Star Wars, it would not hit theaters for another 8 years.
+Quote Post
Digi
post Jul 6th 2004, 12:18 AM
Post #101

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,860

the liscense plate on the bus sounds like an SGC Planet Designation

PJ2 221 or somethin
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jul 30th 2004, 1:54 AM
Post #102

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE (Stargate Master @ Jun 21 2004, 02:46 PM)
This episode is funny aswell as having alot of anticipation. The funniest part of this episode is seeing SG-1 with 1960's clothes on.

Reece Cheats

reece@trevor1964.plus.com

united_kingdom.gif

Seeing them in the clothes from the 60's was a riot! Teal'c looked so cool with that afro. Daniel wearing those striped pants was so funny. Of course Jack was Mr. Cool, whistling.gif with the leather jacket, and Sam was our hippie child. It was very well done. I liked it a lot.
+Quote Post
SiegeDeSpahr
post Sep 2nd 2004, 2:15 AM
Post #103

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,200

I liked how they didn't just put everyone in 60's pop culture clothes, but had them (minus Teal'c of course) in just normal drags. And younger Hammond was a sweety! Good thing he was always a nice guy!
I also liked how they did a looping time-frame, where everyting was already pre-determined. And by the glimps of the future, we turn out fine, and no one died a horribly gruesome death! (I judge this by Cassie's reaction to them all.)
+Quote Post
Dial Home Device
post Sep 3rd 2004, 7:03 AM
Post #104

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,293

Go teal'c's hair laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Christy
post Sep 19th 2004, 8:23 PM
Post #105

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,098

This is the episode that i still remember 6 years on.
When i stopped wtaching stargate at the end of the 2nd season and ddint watch it for 5 years, this is the episode which stuck out most for me.
it was well written and i really enjoyed watching it.
I do not think it could have been improved.
it was a really enjoyable episode
+Quote Post
Lt. Colonel Samantha O'Neill
post Sep 24th 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #106

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,391

Personally, 1969 is one of my top 10 episodes. I love the "Kirk" and "Skywalker" thing also when SG1 is around the camp fire.
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Oct 3rd 2004, 8:35 PM
Post #107

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

This has to be hands-down one of the best episodes, just for the sheer wackiness of it all. Time travel, crazy clothes, psychedelic bus, solar flares, young Hammond. I could go on and on.
A couple of little things I noticed about Catherine. She used the same china service on "The Torment of Tantalus" (both when she was entertaining Daniel and in the flashback memories with Ernest) and she was wearing the Eye of Ra amulet she gave Daniel, who later sent it back to her, via Jack. Nice little details to tie it all together.
Loved Teal'c's threads, he was toooo cool. bow.gif
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Oct 4th 2004, 6:40 AM
Post #108

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,724

This was the grooviest ep. ever! I loved everything! How great did that solar flare look! I admit the whole time travel/ grandfather paradox thing still confusses me but I think they pulled it off pretty well. The clothes were amazing. I wonder if the costume dep. made them or they found 'em at a garage sale or something. O'Neill in leather jacket Yes! cool.gif I didn't understand why Catherine had an accent? And I think that actress plays one of the Kelownan diplomats or something in seasons 6/7 she was the one that bitchslapped one of the other diplomats.
"Daniel I hardly recognise you with hair" Danny's gonna lose his hair unsure.gif
It's also good that he descended otherwise this line wouldn't have made sense anymore. Anyway I was wondering if the time line in which they saw Cassie in the future now doesn't exist 'cause the timeline was changed in 2010?
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Oct 4th 2004, 4:07 PM
Post #109

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE (magnavox @ Oct 4th 2004, 6:40 AM)
cool.gif I didn't understand why Catherine had an accent?

That accent thing kinda threw me, too.
+Quote Post
CitizenK
post Oct 25th 2004, 7:45 AM
Post #110

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,783

QUOTE (wonderland @ Oct 4th 2004, 4:07 PM)
That accent thing kinda threw me, too.

I know that Daniel was using accented English because he was impersonating a German archaeologist. I think because she was speaking German too him that the accent may have carried over into her English. That happens some times.

What I thought would have been interesting is if young Daniel had stepped into the room with Catherine, Sam and Daniel. Daniel would have got to see his own young self. what a potential hoot !

Also, I like Teal'c with hair. He does look groovy. And now he can even drive.
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Oct 25th 2004, 8:01 AM
Post #111

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,544

Catherine had a German-ish accent in the movie. So, she just might be German.
+Quote Post
LuvThatShanks
post Oct 25th 2004, 2:43 PM
Post #112

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,409

This episode could be a nitpicker's paradise or you can just decide "Hey, FUN!"

I'm going with FUN! for the most part.

Daniel responding in Russian "Nyet." to the question (asked in Russian) "Are you a Soviet Spy?" was absolutely howl inducing because it is one of the few times we get to see Daniel's big brain take a moment to catch up with a situation. "What I just (oh hell...responding in Russian in 1969 is a very bad idea! - and that plays out across his face perfectly). Although here's one thing that made no sense, wouldn't they then haul Daniel, not Jack away?

Like everyone else I kept wondering who the hippies would turn out to be and was slightly let down when we weren't given any indication of who they were.

I do have one question about that great "Younger General Hammond" double. Isn't there a significant disparity in height? I thought that younger version had at least five inches on the Don Davis version but I may be wrong. Even if that's the case he was still wonderful.

It doesn't fit with canon exactly but that's fine and there are a few problems with the "don't interfere!" hippie interaction. Wouldn't telling them they were space aliens be as big an interference as anything else they could do?

Seriously though aside from minor nitpicks (for me) I adore this episode because it is so very, very funny. It was a light episode and contains some of the most memorable scenes from SG-1. Teal'c driving the Partridge Family/hippie bus was a scream.

+Quote Post
00mace
post Oct 25th 2004, 3:45 PM
Post #113

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,762

the lt. hammond's eye color is differen't to. but he sounded alot like a yound don s davis.

i really liked jacks line in the interagation room
bc: well mr. kirk your dog tags say other wise
jack: there lieing
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Oct 26th 2004, 8:29 AM
Post #114

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

QUOTE (LuvThatShanks @ Oct 25th 2004, 2:43 PM)
Although here's one thing that made no sense, wouldn't they then haul Daniel, not Jack away?

They took Jack because he would have had 'Colonel' insignia on his uniform identifying him as the leader. Maybe they thought Daniel was such a dumbass for responding in russian, they didn't want to talk to him whistling.gif laugh.gif

I do have one question about that great "Younger General Hammond" double. Isn't there a significant disparity in height? I thought that younger version had at least five inches on the Don Davis version but I may be wrong. Even if that's the case he was still wonderful.

Well people do shrink when they age, but not that much!

but he sounded alot like a yound don s davis.

It sounded to me like Don S. Davis' voice was dubbed on, what do you think?
+Quote Post
CitizenK
post Oct 26th 2004, 12:50 PM
Post #115

Captain
Group Icon

****They took Jack because he would have had 'Colonel' insignia on his uniform identifying him as the leader. Maybe they thought Daniel was such a dumbass for responding in russian, they didn't want to talk to him.*****

I was thinking about this and I don't remember seeing any rank or SGC patches on their uniforms when they were captured by the USAF. I believe SG-1 removed all identifying insignia. I rarely have seen Jack wearing his colonel's eagles on his combat fatigues.

I believe they went for Jack because he seemed to be the guy in charge due to his age. Way back when, there was a time when having grey hairs meant something. speaking as a grey ol'gal.

It sounded to me like Don S. Davis' voice was dubbed on, what do you think?

I wouldn't be surprized if they dubbed the young actor with Davis' voice. It would have reinforced the idea that this lieutenant would become general Hammond in later life.

This post has been edited by CitizenK: Oct 26th 2004, 8:57 PM
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Oct 26th 2004, 5:46 PM
Post #116

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE (LuvThatShanks @ Oct 25th 2004, 2:43 PM)
Daniel responding in Russian "Nyet." to the question (asked in Russian) "Are you a Soviet Spy?" was absolutely howl inducing because it is one of the few times we get to see Daniel's big brain take a moment to catch up with a situation. "What I just (oh hell...responding in Russian in 1969 is a very bad idea! - and that plays out across his face perfectly). Although here's one thing that made no sense, wouldn't they then haul Daniel, not Jack away?

Taking Daniel would have made much more sense cause he already displayed a certain lack of tact, hadn't he?
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Oct 26th 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #117

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

QUOTE (CitizenK @ Oct 26th 2004, 12:50 PM)
I was thinking about this and I don't remember seeing any rank or SGC patches on their uniforms when they were captured by the USAF. I believe SG-1 removed all identifying insignia. I rarely have seen Jack wearing his colonel's eagles on his combat fatigues.

You mean it doesn't say 'Colonel' anywhere on his uniform? biggrin.gif

You probably right as to why they took him. My answer came from not much sleep and making posts 1:30 in the morning. dry.gif
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Oct 26th 2004, 8:40 PM
Post #118

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE (magnavox @ Oct 26th 2004, 6:03 PM)
QUOTE (CitizenK @ Oct 26th 2004, 12:50 PM)

You mean it doesn't say 'Colonel' anywhere on his uniform? biggrin.gif

You probably right as to why they took him. My answer came from not much sleep and making posts 1:30 in the morning. dry.gif

They had some kind of patches on their unifoms, because Sam pulled hers off and said they couldn't tell anyone the truth about who they were and where they were from, didn't she?
+Quote Post
CitizenK
post Oct 27th 2004, 7:34 AM
Post #119

Captain
Group Icon

QUOTE (wonderland @ Oct 26th 2004, 8:40 PM)

[/QUOTE]
You mean it doesn't say 'Colonel' anywhere on his uniform?

You probably right as to why they took him. My answer came from not much sleep and making posts 1:30 in the morning.
[/QUOTE]
They had some kind of patches on their unifoms, because Sam pulled hers off and said they couldn't tell anyone the truth about who they were and where they were from, didn't she?

I believe that it is standard SGC proceedure to rip-off the SGC and Stargate
patches when they are caught. In Seth, they were wearing non-descript fatigues when dealing with the FBI team. No identifying marks of any kind.

Their patches are held on with velcro. Seaon 8 is really the only time I've noticed that Jack has worn any rank insignia on a regular basis.

+Quote Post
soma_momma
post Oct 27th 2004, 10:23 PM
Post #120

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,668

About the patches--
It seems that removing them upon capture could prevent the captors from using a valuable officer for propaganda.
Anybody know if this is standard military procedure in the 'real' world?

My television-less daughter watched this ep on video when she visited last weekend. She thought that the "nyet" answer to the Russian question shouldn't have implicated Daniel as a Russian spy, since the guy who asked the question in Russian wasn't a spy even though he too spoke Russian. Therefore (according to my uber-logical daughter), patriotic Americans could speak Russian.

I didn't see her point at first, but I guess it's true.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 24th 2014 - 8:00 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.