Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate SG-1: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate SG-1 only. SG-1 spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate Atlantis Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

SG-1 Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

18 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Star Trek Ships Vs Stargate Ships, Let the battle begin
Star Trek Ships Vs Stargate Ships
Star Trek Ships Vs Stargate Ships
Star Trek (Borg Cubes, Enterprise, Warbirds, etc) <br> [ 277 ] ** [37.13%]
Stargate (Goa'uld Motherships, Asguard, etc) [ 469 ] ** [62.87%]
Total Votes: 746
Guests cannot vote 
ZxExN
post Jul 26th 2003, 10:20 AM
Post #1

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,026

This is a revised poll, moderators, plz delete or merge the previous one with this one.

Okay people, of all the ships that are commonly used in both these universes, which would win if they had to battle ship for ship. The Trek side has ships such as the USS Enterprise-E, Borg Tactical Cubes, Scimitaer (From Nemesis) and any other you can think of vs the Stargate ships such as the different type of Goa'uld Motherships, Replicators Ships and Asguard ships (I think those are the only ships we've seen so far)

I think the Trek would beat out the Stargate side due to superior manuverbility and firepower. But we can dicuss it futher.

This post has been edited by ZxExN: Jul 26th 2003, 11:40 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stargatejunkie101
post Jul 26th 2003, 11:57 AM
Post #2

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,247

I would have to say stargate ships, especially the asgard. In one of the stargate episodes carter said that asgard ships can go clear across a galaxy in no time. Also if they can go many times the speed of light, then that means that their weapon technology is far surperior. The only ship that i would like to see go up against any ship from strar trek would probally of been the O'Neill. Thor said it himself that it was the most advanced ship ever created by the Asgard. Also in another episode thor said that the asgard has had technology to go into space for 50,000 years!! Now come on, do you honestly think that a star trek ship could beat that? The engines alone of the asgard ships should tell you that they can beat any star trek ship. Four ion reactors that produce i think it was 1 billion megawattz each!! But hey thats just my opinon.
+Quote Post
ZxExN
post Jul 26th 2003, 12:19 PM
Post #3

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Well think of it like this. Asguard ships require Hyperspace to travel faster than light. HOwever star trek ships travel 2000x faster than light in Normal space... If Trek ships can go into hyperspace, they can probably go alot faster than the Asguard.
+Quote Post
ZxExN
post Jul 26th 2003, 12:26 PM
Post #4

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

A typical warp engine can produce in the order of E19 or E20 watts (Found that in some comparsion spec site). Thats way way more than the Asguard Ion engines..
+Quote Post
Aesir
post Jul 26th 2003, 1:43 PM
Post #5

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,811

QUOTE (stargatejunkie101 @ Jul 26 2003, 05:57 PM)
In one of the stargate episodes carter said that asgard ships can go clear across a galaxy in no time. Also if they can go many times the speed of light, then that means that their weapon technology is far surperior.

Firstly, just because their ships can travel across their galaxy in a few hours doesn't mean that their other technology is superior - saying this is just an assumption and a very large one at that.

As far as I know, we don't have sufficient information regarding the Stargate weaponry/shields etc. discussed here to make any proper comparison possible, so it would be a draw on weapons due to lack of data.

Another major point is that if a Star Trek ship went into warp then a Stargate ship would never be able to fire at it since it could only keep up by going into hyperspace. Similarly if a Stargate ship went into hyperspace, a Star Trek ship wouldn't be able to shoot at it as it can't enter hyperspace. The technologies are just too different. This would also create a kind of stalemate situation.

For the reasons above, I propose a draw.
+Quote Post
Col. Jonathan O'Neil
post Jul 26th 2003, 4:11 PM
Post #6

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,149

I'm going to have to go with Star Trek, though I am far and away a bigger Stargate fan. Why? Several reasons:

(1) Time Period. Star Trek is set in the future while Stargate is present day. Ships on earth have advanced with time. Conceivably, so have those of alien races. Perhaps if twenty-first century Borg or Klingon could fight Go'auld or Asgard, the fight would be a bit more even.

(2) Availability and mastery of resources. The Federation has geniuses from hundreds of worlds working together to constantly improve technology, whereas Stargate has American scientists, a few shaky alliances, and whatever technology they can scrounge from other worlds. More to the point at hand, that of alien technology, both Borg and Goa'uld steal technology. Due to their hive mindset, the Borg have a greater mastery of that technology, and can put it to far greater use.

(3) Genre. Star Trek is more of a fantasy while Stargate strives for greater realism. Both shows stretch science a bit, but Trek stretches further.

Note: Stargate's present day setting and striving for realism make the show far more meaningful. While the alien ships in Star Trek are likely more deadly, the relative primitiveness of earth make the Stargate aliens a far bigger threat to earth. And when it comes down to it, most science fiction viewers are more concerned with shows that involve threats to earth. Trek has finally caught on to that. That's why they're focusing next season's episodes on a huge threat to earth.

J. Michael Straczynski had the right idea for his Babylon 5 sequel#Crusade. Everyone on earth would die within a few years if Captain Gideon didn't find a cure. That series didn't pan out, but the formula at least was there.

Stargate has that formula#though the team is on a different planet every week, there is always a threat of Goa'uld aggression against earth.
+Quote Post
Krogoth666
post Jul 27th 2003, 9:27 AM
Post #7

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,641

QUOTE (ZxExN @ Jul 26 2003, 12:19 PM)
Well think of it like this. Asguard ships require Hyperspace to travel faster than light. HOwever star trek ships travel 2000x faster than light in Normal space... If Trek ships can go into hyperspace, they can probably go alot faster than the Asguard.

But who is to say that the warp engines can be used in a hyperspace tunnle? Warp engines work by forming a subspace field around the entire ship, which 'submerges' the ship into a small bubble of subspace. When in subspace, the ship is then able to travel at faster than light speeds. It is doubtful that the warp engines will function within a hyperspace tunnle. On top of that, the speed and range of the ship does not depend on how fast it travels through the hyperspace tunnle, but how well it desperses the fabrics of space time. Gould motherships for example would take over a hundred years to travel to another galaxy, while Asgard ships can travel between their galaxy and our own within a few hours. Another advantage Hyperdrives have over warp engines is that Hyperdrives can function within large gravitational fields. When in the X-302, Jack sent the fighter into a hyperspace window within the planet's atmosphere, where the gravitational field is still very strong. They also managed to send an asteroid into a hyperspace tunnle, going THROUGH the earth. Id like to see captain Picard try that with the enterprise warp engines!

As for the other ships systems..., It is very hard to determine which side has superior technology and firepower. However, I do believe that Stargate ships are superior to Startrek ships. I am also sure that when Earth in the Stargate universe reached the same time period as Startrek (2378), our ships and technology will be far more advanced than Starfleet's, mainly because our rate to technological development has been greatly accelerated by the stargate, and our relationship with Gould.
+Quote Post
ZxExN
post Jul 27th 2003, 1:21 PM
Post #8

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

I'm not sure if Trek travels in Subspace cause they're still affected by matter in normal space when going at warp. I think however their communication signals travel in subspace. lol as if we really knew what the heck subspace meant.
+Quote Post
Thoth
post Jul 27th 2003, 5:07 PM
Post #9

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,731

QUOTE (ZxExN @ Jul 26 2003, 12:26 PM)
A typical warp engine can produce in the order of E19 or E20 watts (Found that in some comparsion spec site). Thats way way more than the Asguard Ion engines..

if these numbers are accurate then what it means is that the asgard engines are so so so much more efficient than warp drives AND faster
+Quote Post
Aesir
post Jul 27th 2003, 5:28 PM
Post #10

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE (Thoth @ Jul 27 2003, 11:07 PM)
QUOTE (ZxExN @ Jul 26 2003, 12:26 PM)
A typical warp engine can produce in the order of E19  or E20 watts (Found that in some comparsion spec site). Thats way way more than the Asguard Ion engines..

if these numbers are accurate then what it means is that the asgard engines are so so so much more efficient than warp drives AND faster

Well I see your point, but to be honest the speed at which ships can travel isn't going to affect the outcome really. If the Star Trek ships are at warp, or the Stargate ships are in hyperspace then it would end up a draw, so the speeds are kind of irrelevant when it comes down to it.

However, the engines may be more efficient in terms of the power it takes them to go into hyperspace etc, but maybe it takes more power to generate a warp field than to enter hyperspace? We don't know. My point is that we don't even know if the physics of the Star Trek Universe allow hyperspace or that the Stargate Universe allows warp travel, so it's a little redundant to compare them anyway.
+Quote Post
Jay
post Aug 2nd 2003, 1:28 PM
Post #11

Airman Basic

Member No.: 2,213

Im thinkin that the Gould and Asgard ships would win because can you picture the O'Neil vs the Enterprise, cmon, the Star Trek peeps would prolly try and send over a team of people to work out the problems and the Asgard would just fire a shot and finish the fight. And the new sheild technology on the Gould motherships are pretty sweet, so i dont think disrupter beams and phasers are gonna do it. Go asgard! alien.gif
+Quote Post
Apis
post Aug 2nd 2003, 3:08 PM
Post #12

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,116

I have to be careful responding so that I won't contradict what I'm saying on the replicators vs. Borg poll. So in conclusion, here is what I believe:

The asguard spacecraft will pose absolutely no threat what so ever to the borg (because the borg are more advanced on so many fronts for reasons such as; superior transporters, more varied weaponry, and superior size)

Now, I do believe that the goa'uld motherships will easily defeat the federation ships, however. I say this because the goa'uld sheilding doesn't die off after two shots like federation sheilds do

I also agree that 300 years down the road in the Stargate universe earth will be much more advanced then in Startrek for the reasons already stated.

So in conclusion, Stargate beats out Startrek 2-1. So therefore I conclude that in general, Stargate ships will defeat Startrek ships.
+Quote Post
Fabolouz
post Aug 2nd 2003, 3:23 PM
Post #13

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,359

we also have cloking with Star Trek and that does have an element of surprise...
if the federetion for example cloak and come very close to asgaurd ships they can take out the engines or wathever very fast...
+Quote Post
Aesir
post Aug 2nd 2003, 4:05 PM
Post #14

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE (Apis @ Aug 2 2003, 09:08 PM)
I also agree that 300 years down the road in the Stargate universe earth will be much more advanced then in Startrek for the reasons already stated.

I don't think you can really use this as an argument for a Star Trek vs Stargate debate. If you are trying to compare the Star Trek ships as they would have been at the time that Stargate took place then you wouldn't be comparing Star Trek ships at all - Star Trek only began in the timeline when TOS did, any further back just isn't Star Trek.

+Quote Post
Thoth
post Aug 4th 2003, 3:31 AM
Post #15

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,731

QUOTE (Fabolouz @ Aug 2 2003, 03:23 PM)
we also have cloking with Star Trek and that does have an element of surprise...
if the federetion for example cloak and come very close to asgaurd ships they can take out the engines or wathever very fast...

The federation can't cloak, they are forbidden by a treaty with the romulans
+Quote Post
Aesir
post Aug 4th 2003, 12:19 PM
Post #16

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE (Thoth @ Aug 4 2003, 09:31 AM)
QUOTE (Fabolouz @ Aug 2 2003, 03:23 PM)

The federation can't cloak, they are forbidden by a treaty with the romulans

Although the treaty of Algeron forbids the Federation from pursuing cloaking technology, the Romulans would most likely give the Federation cloaking devices to fit to their ships in the face of a large threat from the Stargate Universe (like they how they fitted the Defiant with a cloaking device when the Dominion became a threat).

I thought this thread was about all kinds of Star Trek ships versus all kinds of Stargate ships though, which means that there would be plenty of cloaked ships around regardless.
+Quote Post
mobies1
post Aug 6th 2003, 9:21 PM
Post #17

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,206

star trek ship would be wiped out in a second
+Quote Post
Jonas_quinn
post Sep 24th 2003, 5:35 PM
Post #18

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,340

If we talk about ALL stargate ships there is no chance startrek could survive, i mean the go'uld can travel a lot faster then startrek ships, and the asguard can seemingly cross whole galaxies in seconds (maybe minutes) where as it can take the startrek ships like 70 years to cross the galaxy (as seen in voyager) so really no argument that stargate would win, plus they both have shields... the only way that startrek stands a chance is if species 6034 (i think the ones form another demension that were ripping through the borg) joined in that might alter htngs a little... maybe only...
+Quote Post
Aesir
post Sep 25th 2003, 3:43 AM
Post #19

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE (mobies1 @ Aug 7 2003, 03:21 AM)
star trek ship would be wiped out in a second

Is that your whole argument?

QUOTE (Jonas_quinn @ Sep 24 2003, 11:35 PM)
If we talk about ALL stargate ships there is no chance startrek could survive, i mean the go'uld can travel a lot faster then startrek ships, and the asguard can seemingly cross whole galaxies in seconds (maybe minutes) where as it can take the startrek ships like 70 years to cross the galaxy (as seen in voyager) so really no argument that stargate would win, plus they both have shields... the only way that startrek stands a chance is if species 6034 (i think the ones form another demension that were ripping through the borg) joined in that might alter htngs a little... maybe only...

Aside from the fact that it looks like you don't have your Star Trek related facts right, let me point out a few things...

Firstly, what evidence is there to suggest that Goa'uld ships can travel faster than Star Trek ships and which Star Trek ships are you using for comparison? It seems to me that Borg ships are definitely comparable to the speed of Goa'uld ships. Obviously there is not really any actual way to measure unless there is a direct comparison between warp and hyperspace and we know the exact output of the engines.

One thing I will say is that although you may be right about the Asgard being able to travel faster, it's only speculation. You say that they can cross the galaxies in seconds or minutes, which may be true for THEIR galaxy but who is to say the Star Trek galaxy isn't a million times larger than the galaxies featured in Stargate?

Basing your whole argument on the speed of the ships is really quite pointless also because if you think about it then it's not very important. Think about this... if there is one Star Trek ship vs one Stargate ship and the Star Trek ship goes into Warp and the Stargate ship goes into hyperspace then it's a draw. Neither can fire its weapons at the other.

Even if one can maybe travel faster than the other, it's most certainly not something that you can say would definitely make them win. Besides, I happen to think that there are definitely ships in Star Trek that can travel faster than almost all ships seen in Stargate. There may even be those copmarable to the speed of the Asgard ships.
+Quote Post
Jonas_quinn
post Sep 25th 2003, 10:21 AM
Post #20

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,340

QUOTE (Aesir @ Sep 25 2003, 03:43 AM)

Aside from the fact that it looks like you don't have your Star Trek related facts right, let me point out a few things...

Firstly, what evidence is there to suggest that Goa'uld ships can travel faster than Star Trek ships and which Star Trek ships are you using for comparison? It seems to me that Borg ships are definitely comparable to the speed of Goa'uld ships. Obviously there is not really any actual way to measure unless there is a direct comparison between warp and hyperspace and we know the exact output of the engines.

One thing I will say is that although you may be right about the Asgard being able to travel faster, it's only speculation. You say that they can cross the galaxies in seconds or minutes, which may be true for THEIR galaxy but who is to say the Star Trek galaxy isn't a million times larger than the galaxies featured in Stargate?

Basing your whole argument on the speed of the ships is really quite pointless also because if you think about it then it's not very important. Think about this... if there is one Star Trek ship vs one Stargate ship and the Star Trek ship goes into Warp and the Stargate ship goes into hyperspace then it's a draw. Neither can fire its weapons at the other.

Even if one can maybe travel faster than the other, it's most certainly not something that you can say would definitely make them win. Besides, I happen to think that there are definitely ships in Star Trek that can travel faster than almost all ships seen in Stargate. There may even be those copmarable to the speed of the Asgard ships.

it isnt pointless, i mean they seem to be fairly equal in fire pwer so ship numbers would be the deciding factor, if the ships could reach a battle faster there would be more vessels, so they would win as longas equal fire power, which i am presuming, because from what you see in boh series it is kinda hard to compare... By the way the size argument doesnt work as they are ment to both be in our galaxy so they r the same size.

And i dont know any ships that can travel faster than those in stargate, i mean look at the borg, they are fast as long as a subspace conduit can get them there... if not they still take relativly long periods to cross 1 galaxy.

Any way basically what im saying is that without direct comparison it is hard to tell the greater fire power...
+Quote Post
floersh
post Sep 25th 2003, 10:36 AM
Post #21

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,304

I like startrek and this is why. Combine their transporter technology with the clocking technology and what they can do is verys imple. Come along side an enemy ship such as the Gaould which for the most part don't have their shields raised. beam off the occupants one room at a time or several rooms at a time and allow them to rematerialize in space..

Now the asguard have similar technology (aka transporter that doesn't require the rings which can't pass through a ships hull). However, they lack the visual cloaking that the romulan ships have as an example. If you combine the romulan tech with the phase cloaking technology from starfleet well. It would be hard for the Asguard/Gaould to even shoot at the starttrek space craft.

As for speeds of ships that is irrelavant. Attack earth and the startrek ships aren't going to flee. Attack the Asguard home world and they wont flee.. It comes down to who can target and shoot the other.

Also note that Asguard ships can't run shields while in hyper space and one might assume when entering hyper space. That would be the perfect time to blow them from the sky. StarTrek ships don't have that weakness. In fact the only weakness in the startrek ships is that repeated hits by phasers/disrupters etc seem to bleed energy from the shields making them weaker. But maybe that is a result of the type of energy weapons they use?

+Quote Post
Kinghans
post Sep 25th 2003, 11:18 AM
Post #22

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,327

Ahm, has anyone seen the Stargate episode where The Asgard come along with one ship and they point a beam at three pyramids and then the pyramids are vaporized? Yes? Ok, you suppose that Captain Janeway will just raise her shields and then the beam won't hurt her? That's what I thought!

Asgard will win any day of the week!

Greetz, King Hans biggrin.gif cool.gif biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Aesir
post Sep 26th 2003, 5:13 AM
Post #23

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jonas_quinn @ Sep 25 2003, 04:21 PM)
it isnt pointless, i mean they seem to be fairly equal in fire pwer so ship numbers would be the deciding factor, if the ships could reach a battle faster there would be more vessels, so they would win as longas equal fire power, which i am presuming, because from what you see in boh series it is kinda hard to compare... By the way the size argument doesnt work as they are ment to both be in our galaxy so they r the same size.

And i dont know any ships  that can travel faster than those in stargate, i mean look at the borg, they are fast as long as a subspace conduit can get them there... if not they still take relativly long periods to cross 1 galaxy.

Any way basically what im saying is that without direct comparison it is hard to tell the greater fire power...

The point I was trying to make was that your argument was based solely on the speeds of the ships. Now you have added more to it, which makes it more substantial. The other major point I was trying to make about the speeds was that if either side wanted to escape and repair their ship etc., they can just go to warp or hyperspace respectively and there would be no way for the other side to fire at them.

You say that ship numbers would be the deciding factor... from what we know of both series, I would say that Star Trek has hundreds and probably thousands of times more ships than Stargate. Even if the Asgard are faster than anyone in Star Trek, personally I don't think the fact that they can get to a battle a bit quicker is going to overcome this.

I agree that firepower and weapons are pretty hard to compare without specific outputs of weapons and detailed information on how the shields of each ship would react to a particular weapon.

EDIT: One thing I just realised though is that this poll is about a particular ship from Star Trek against a particular ship from Stargate, not really all of the ships at once, so I think the direction of this debate needs to change a little...

For any Star Trek ship that can travel at warp speed vs any Stargate ship that can travel at hyperspace, I would say that in most cases it would be a draw for the reason that the other ship wouldn't be able to fire at them if they chose to enter warp/hyperspace. There are an extremely large number of different ships seen in Star Trek so it's pretty hard to compare any significant number of them. As I said, I think it's almost impossible to directly compare fire power and shields... a comparison in maneuverability is quite possible though.

This post has been edited by Aesir: Sep 26th 2003, 5:20 AM
+Quote Post
Jocee
post Sep 26th 2003, 2:36 PM
Post #24

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,095

i think that i the stargate ships are way better.
+Quote Post

18 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 1st 2014 - 8:34 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.