Rating  5
Spacen
post Jul 29th 2003, 10:34 AM
Post #25

Colonel
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE (ussshorty @ Jan 12 2003, 05:44 AM)
ok hands up who thinks this was a damn good episode?-well i do this was really cool it had the relicators and it was one episode that the cast and crew can turn around and go ok this will always remain one of the best stargate episodes

Episodes with the Asgard are always good.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Jul 29th 2003, 6:01 PM
Post #26

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,926

I disagree, but then, I still think that the Asgard look like something that should be in a Roswell curio shop.
+Quote Post
Spacen
post Jul 29th 2003, 9:57 PM
Post #27

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE (SSG Ret @ Jul 29 2003, 06:01 PM)
I disagree, but then, I still think that the Asgard look like something that should be in a Roswell curio shop.

Don't they tell us they were, in fact, the race that crashed in Roswell?

And they are too cool! tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Aesir
post Jul 30th 2003, 4:09 AM
Post #28

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,811

QUOTE (Cmdr Thor @ Jul 30 2003, 03:57 AM)
QUOTE (SSG Ret @ Jul 29 2003, 06:01 PM)

Don't they tell us they were, in fact, the race that crashed in Roswell?

And they are too cool! tongue.gif

They never actually explicitly stated that they were the aliens that supposedly crashed at Roswell, they just say "we have visited your world many times". It's reasonable to assume they were intended to be by the writers though when you look at the similarity in looks between them and the documented aliens as Roswell.
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Jul 30th 2003, 7:24 AM
Post #29

Captain
Group Icon

<SIGH>

I meant that as far as I am concerned, the Asgard are a writers gimmick to get the fringe element involved in the show. It would be the same thing to find out the gou'uld had kidnapped Elvis and he is now one's host (although why one would want a middle aged drug addict, I have no idea).
+Quote Post
Spacen
post Jul 30th 2003, 11:54 AM
Post #30

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE (SSG Ret @ Jul 30 2003, 07:24 AM)
<SIGH>

I meant that as far as I am concerned, the Asgard are a writers gimmick to get the fringe element involved in the show. It would be the same thing to find out the gou'uld had kidnapped Elvis and he is now one's host (although why one would want a middle aged drug addict, I have no idea).

I kind of disagree with you. I don't think they are a gimmick. I love episodes with them because their technology and benevolence. There were written with so much mystery. I love that.
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Jul 30th 2003, 12:03 PM
Post #31

Captain
Group Icon

Well, given your Avatar, I am kind of not surprised! wink.gif alien.gif

We have a difference of opinion, which is okay. If everybody had the same slant on the show as everybody else, this board would be pointless. I have had my mind changed a time or two, and I think I have changed a few minds myself. Of course, sometimes, I STILL think I'm right! laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Spacen
post Jul 31st 2003, 2:19 PM
Post #32

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE (SSG Ret @ Jul 30 2003, 12:03 PM)
Of course, sometimes, I STILL think I'm right! laugh.gif

That's just the difference between you and me. I'm always right! laugh.gif wink.gif
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Jul 31st 2003, 3:32 PM
Post #33

Captain
Group Icon

Consider that something rude, crude and socially unacceptable has been said!
tongue.gif whistling.gif

This post has been edited by SSG Ret: Jul 31st 2003, 3:32 PM
+Quote Post
Kinghans
post Sep 25th 2003, 11:33 AM
Post #34

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,327

One of the best so far! It had to happen offcourse, there just had to come a new opponent that would become a threat to the "allmighty" asgard. Very wll thought up...

Greetz, King Hans biggrin.gif cool.gif biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Sep 25th 2003, 11:39 AM
Post #35

Captain
Group Icon

And from such an unexpected source! Who would think the Asgard would have trouble with mechanical bugs? whistling.gif
+Quote Post
Apis
post Nov 29th 2003, 4:35 PM
Post #36

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,116

This episode has always left me wondering a question: Howcome earth weaponry works on Thor's ship? I mean Thor said himself that Asguard ships are designed with internal dampening feilds that are designed to prevent explosions. Now I'm assuming that these feilds inhibit explosions of any size (just like a flame of any size cannot be burned while under water) and yet a bullet is forced into projection by an explosion. So is this inconsistency or does someone know an answer?
+Quote Post
Serpent Guard21
post Mar 2nd 2004, 3:08 AM
Post #37

Airman Basic

Member No.: 3,683

Any episode involing the Asgard is always a favourite of mine
+Quote Post
dorien
post Mar 11th 2004, 7:54 PM
Post #38

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,776

Here we have a pivotal episode...the introduction of the replicators and an actual cliffhanger...and the liveliest debate seems to concern Sam's hairstyle. rolleyes.gif

The replicators are a much scarier/nastier enemy than any goa'uld encountered, including Anubis and his Kull Warriors. They're not interested in galactic domination or enslaving other races. How run-of-the-mill those two are. No, their sole purpose is to replicate. A truly impersonal enemy. Very cool. (And in this case the Lego thing works.)

And for early innocent shippyness... well, the fishing invite is classic.

But my favorite part is that rare flash of Teal'c's sense of humor. "One small step for Jaffa." laugh.gif

This post has been edited by dorien: Mar 11th 2004, 7:56 PM
+Quote Post
Apis
post Mar 11th 2004, 8:11 PM
Post #39

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,116

QUOTE (dorien @ Mar 11 2004, 05:54 PM)
The replicators are a much scarier/nastier enemy than any goa'uld encountered, including Anubis and his Kull Warriors. They're not interested in galactic domination or enslaving other races. How run-of-the-mill those two are. No, their sole purpose is to replicate. A truly impersonal enemy. Very cool. (And in this case the Lego thing works.)

In my opinion, because of the Replicator's "impersonality" they could never hope to be as scary as any humanoid enemy. Gene Roddenberry once said that once an alien doesn't have a face anymore; much of its effect is lost. The Replicators, while indeed impressive, are only a CG effect. They are flat in their characteristics and are only really good for one or two episodes; after that they just become too repetitious.

I think that the producers eventually realized this inevitibility as they eventually even had the Replicators become human. You have to admit that when Replicators finally started becomming "evil" they became humanoid.
QUOTE (dorien @ Mar 11 2004 )
The replicators are a much scarier/nastier enemy than any goa'uld encountered, including Anubis and his Kull Warriors.

Well Anubis isn't really a good example. I mean, the guy would do better as a Teletubies villain than he would as a Goa'uld. Sokar, on the other hand, is a really great villain and was extremely scary (something that I haven't figured out yet is how Anubis and Sokar can possibly be played by the same actor unsure.gif ).
+Quote Post
dorien
post Mar 11th 2004, 9:27 PM
Post #40

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,776

QUOTE (Apis @ Mar 11 2004, 08:11 PM)
I think that the producers eventually realized this inevitibility as they eventually even had the Replicators become human.  You have to admit that when Replicators finally started becomming "evil" they became humanoid.

I wasn't so impressed with the "human" replicators. In gaining emotions they lost that impersonality that I liked about the bugs. The bugs were never evil. They just were. Much scarier in my book.

QUOTE (Apis @ Mar 11 2004, 08:11 PM)
Well Anubis isn't really a good example.  I mean, the guy would do better as a Teletubies villain than he would as a Goa'uld. 

laugh.gif I like that. As a goa'uld he has been less than impressive. Do you think he has a television tummy hidden under his robe? laugh.gif
+Quote Post
daventry
post Mar 19th 2004, 1:09 PM
Post #41

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,737

Near the end of the episode where the team is making they're escape through the gate on Thor's ship, O'Niel asks where they are going. Carter say's they're going to some planet they prevouisly visited, what planet was that.
+Quote Post
durhamlass
post Apr 19th 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #42

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,899

Not sure where to put this, (and I've searched around)

At the very beginning of Nemesis, there is an outside shot of the complex, with a truck parked. On the truck it says 'Sgt Mack'. I've not noticed this on any others; anybody any idea why it should be on this one and not any others?
+Quote Post
Mac.Fan
post Apr 23rd 2004, 7:49 AM
Post #43

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,500

This is one of the episodes where Jack ask Sam to go fishing with him but she was doing some thing at the time. Teal'c was off world seeing his son and Daniel was in the infernery after his apendick pack up. So while trying to get Sam to change her mind, that is when The asgard beamed him up to the ship and that is when he first seen the repercators. Teal'c and Sam with some gear beam up, Jack was not happy about it but now there are three of them on thor's ship. At lest they distroyed the ship and they got off though the stargate be fore it blow up on rentery.
+Quote Post
Raptor937
post Jun 5th 2004, 10:51 AM
Post #44

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,897

I really loved this episode. Saw them use the USAS-12, SPAS-12 and the M4 was just soo cool. Pity Daniel wasn't with them (MS sugery) it would be even better with him there, but it was still a fantastic episode one of my highest rated one. Carter with a M4 is a sight not to be missed.
+Quote Post
Xbuster
post Jun 24th 2004, 1:05 PM
Post #45

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,194

Just what exactly is it that damages Replicators from projectile weaponry??? Is it the basic physical damage to the individual blocks? Is it that wich keep the blocks from coming together again or... what??
When I saw the bugs getting splattered by bullets, I really started to wonder why the blocks didn't re-integrate...

Anyone?
+Quote Post
petraska
post Jun 25th 2004, 1:46 AM
Post #46

Airman Basic

Member No.: 5,223

QUOTE (Xbuster @ Jun 24 2004, 01:05 PM)
Just what exactly is it that damages Replicators from projectile weaponry??? Is it the basic physical damage to the individual blocks? Is it that wich keep the blocks from coming together again or... what??
When I saw the bugs getting splattered by bullets, I really started to wonder why the blocks didn't re-integrate...

Anyone?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing, I figure that the physical movement of the bullets shatter them in the first place, but I'm not sure why they dont re-form, although maybe they do after a little while, you will notice most replicator fight scenes are fast paced and they don't stay in one place long enough for you too see them reforming, thats really the best guess I can give. Also that and for practicality reasons they wouldnt never eventually beat them off if they instantly reformed, comon we gotta let the humans win in the end wink.gif
+Quote Post
Child of the gods
post Jul 10th 2004, 2:42 PM
Post #47

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,515

I think, imho, this is the best split-season cliffhanger. Its great because it has everyone, (except the goa'ulds) i think smile.gif
It has the Asgard who are great! why are they great i hear you cry? because they are funny and i think its good they give kaileron a shot at acting...... The replicators. What isnt good about them. They are great, they spit in your eyes, jump on your back and pee in your coffee.!
+Quote Post
Dr Sam
post Jul 16th 2004, 1:54 PM
Post #48

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,804

Fantastic episode! Anyone counting how many times Jack invites Sam on a fishing trip...well we can chalk that up as 1.

The replicators give me the willies! They're just so...mechanical, I guess. No feelings, no senses (as such, except for knowing where the biggest energy source is)...just one objective: replicate.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 24th 2014 - 6:18 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.