Rating  5
Daniel V
post Jul 22nd 2003, 12:27 PM
Post #25

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,069

The best thing about this episode is that we get tio sees a member of daniels family that isn't dead hes insane but not dead.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spacen
post Jul 29th 2003, 10:31 AM
Post #26

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,105

In "Secret File of the SGC" on the DVD, they said that they took one idea they wanted incorporated into an episode and made an episode out of it. The part they wanted to incorporate was ghost-like creatures. That is usually bad writing.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 29th 2003, 10:35 AM
Post #27

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

It cant be that bad, there have been loads of users who like that ep and want to see a follow up.
+Quote Post
Aesir
post Jul 29th 2003, 10:41 AM
Post #28

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,811

QUOTE (Dafmeister @ Jul 29 2003, 04:35 PM)
It cant be that bad, there have been loads of users who like that ep and want to see a follow up.

I don't think the general idea for the episode is that great, but some of the things featured in it were really interesting... such as the giant aliens. The reason people want a follow up is because of these aliens being so intriguing and also simply because they left what happens to Nick Ballard totally to our imagination.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 29th 2003, 10:43 AM
Post #29

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

I thought it was a good idea how they took a real life 'enigma' (the Crystal Skull) and turned it into an episode.
+Quote Post
Spacen
post Jul 29th 2003, 9:55 PM
Post #30

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE (Aesir @ Jul 29 2003, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (Dafmeister @ Jul 29 2003, 04:35 PM)

I don't think the general idea for the episode is that great, but some of the things featured in it were really interesting... such as the giant aliens. The reason people want a follow up is because of these aliens being so intriguing and also simply because they left what happens to Nick Ballard totally to our imagination.

I didn't say it was a bad episode, I was just saying it is usually a bad way to write one. A great episode has a plot first and then the cool stuff is added. They simply said "we want ghost like creatures" and tried to think of something that could accomodate it. It turned out to be a good episode, but it could have ended up crap writing it like that.
+Quote Post
Aesir
post Jul 30th 2003, 4:07 AM
Post #31

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cmdr Thor @ Jul 30 2003, 03:55 AM)
I didn't say it was a bad episode, I was just saying it is usually a bad way to write one. A great episode has a plot first and then the cool stuff is added. They simply said "we want ghost like creatures" and tried to think of something that could accomodate it. It turned out to be a good episode, but it could have ended up crap writing it like that.

Well if that's all the writers started with and they were able to make a good episode out of it then we should be praising their talent as writers rather than complaining that the episode MIGHT have turned out like crap using that writing technique - anyway what does it matter if it's already been made?
+Quote Post
Spacen
post Jul 30th 2003, 11:50 AM
Post #32

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE (Aesir @ Jul 30 2003, 04:07 AM)
QUOTE (Cmdr Thor @ Jul 30 2003, 03:55 AM)
I didn't say it was a bad episode, I was just saying it is usually a bad way to write one.  A great episode has a plot first and then the cool stuff is added.  They simply said "we want ghost like creatures" and tried to think of something that could accomodate it.  It turned out to be a good episode, but it could have ended up crap writing it like that.

Well if that's all the writers started with and they were able to make a good episode out of it then we should be praising their talent as writers rather than complaining that the episode MIGHT have turned out like crap using that writing technique - anyway what does it matter if it's already been made?

You're right. I tend to be overly critical of writing style and methods because I'm very much into the storylines. I'm one of those people that really doesn't like the "filler" episodes that are a story all by themselves.
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Jul 30th 2003, 11:58 AM
Post #33

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,926

I loved the part when Daniel realized that his grandfather could see him! And then got all upset because he hadn't said anything before. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
RookiesRevenge
post Aug 3rd 2003, 1:40 AM
Post #34

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,891

QUOTE (SSG Ret @ Jul 30 2003, 11:58 AM)
I loved the part when Daniel realized that his grandfather could see him! And then got all upset because he hadn't said anything before. biggrin.gif

yeah I suspected he saw him as well, and then when he finally admitted it I was like grrrrr.. but then agan, he thought he was hallucinating, and that stuff happns to some ppl.

Follow up needed, I want to know what happened.
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Aug 3rd 2003, 7:00 PM
Post #35

Captain
Group Icon

I think it is interesting that both Daniel and his grandfather were considered crazy at worst or idiots at best for their theories. It just goes to show that the scientific mind can be as closed as any of 'em! laugh.gif
+Quote Post
RookiesRevenge
post Aug 7th 2003, 7:59 PM
Post #36

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,891

Scientists are human, and humans have negative emotions like pride and jealousy to stunt their reasoning on a subject.

A true scientist would not discount something as impossible, without reviewing all the known data and considering possibilities he or she may not be inclined to believe. That's called humility.
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Aug 7th 2003, 8:01 PM
Post #37

Captain
Group Icon

Unfortunately, humility is not something you see in the scientific community.
+Quote Post
ramuund
post Aug 8th 2003, 5:01 PM
Post #38

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,871

***********spoiler**************

i was reading on gate world that the season seven episode where daniel becomes a hostage in honduras (can't think of the name) that they going to tuch on the Nick ballad thing! well that might bring some of the unanswered questions some final answers or clues!
+Quote Post
Emmyloo
post Aug 10th 2003, 2:21 PM
Post #39

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,745

QUOTE (ramuund @ Aug 8 2003, 05:01 PM)
***********spoiler**************

i was reading on gate world that the season seven episode where daniel becomes a hostage in honduras (can't think of the name) that they going to tuch on the Nick ballad thing! well that might bring some of the unanswered questions some final answers or clues!

Thank god! w00t.gif
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Sep 23rd 2003, 10:44 AM
Post #40

Captain
Group Icon

QUOTE (Major Gmed @ Mar 13 2003, 05:28 PM)
Didn't anyone think to tell Nick that Daniel had "died", he was family after all. <!#emo&:'(#>user posted image<!#endemo#>

They weren't sure he had died. Remember, he had told them about his grandfather's story of being transported and they were working from that position.

You know, I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been. To be there, but not able to interact with anybody or anything? Brrrr! The look on Daniel's face when Hammond was talking to his grandfather...I think that was the first clue Daniel had that Hammond thought of him as other than a subordinate or employee.
+Quote Post
Spacen
post Sep 24th 2003, 11:42 AM
Post #41

Colonel
Group Icon

I don't know why Daniel wasn't a little more mischevious. If he had a crush on Sam, it would've been easy to go take a peek...
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Sep 24th 2003, 11:56 AM
Post #42

Captain
Group Icon

Maybe 'cause Daniel a little past the age of seventeen... laugh.gif

Also, that sort of thing shows a extreme lack of respect for the person, like they don't even have the right to privacy. I think that even though it worked to his advantage, Daniel would rather not have heard the conversation between Hammond and his granddaughter.

Daniel's focuses have always been archelogy, anthropology, and linguistics. All of them show a deep interest and respect for people.

This post has been edited by SSG Ret: Sep 24th 2003, 12:01 PM
+Quote Post
Aesir
post Sep 24th 2003, 4:05 PM
Post #43

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE (SSG Ret @ Sep 24 2003, 05:56 PM)
Daniel's focuses have always been archelogy, anthropology, and linguistics. All of them show a deep interest and respect for people.

I agree that he seems to exhibit too much respect for people to be dragged down to that level. He would have plenty of opportunities though and when he ascended he could have done the same smile.gif ... who knows what happened off camera though wink.gif
+Quote Post
Raxor
post Sep 24th 2003, 4:07 PM
Post #44

Group Icon

Member No.: 174

we only know what the writers tell us...

but then again, thats where fan fiction comes in whistling.gif
+Quote Post
xargle
post Oct 2nd 2003, 5:34 PM
Post #45

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,080

I just watched that episode a couple of hours ago and at the end the aliens agree to an aliance, what happened about that. I think if they weren't going to continue the episode (atleast in the foreseable future) they should have had the temple disapeare like the other one.

if they agreeded on an aliance something should have happened about that I mean would othere teams not been sent over negociate an aliance right away. and we should have heard something of that before season 7 I mean that was in season 3 for gods sake.
+Quote Post
Spacen
post Oct 2nd 2003, 8:40 PM
Post #46

Colonel
Group Icon

I think they were meant to be seen only in this episode. I read in some commentary that the idea of a ghost like alien was a "that would be cool" idea that they wrote an episode around. I don't think they had any intention of making it a lengthy storyline.
+Quote Post
Aesir
post Oct 3rd 2003, 3:47 AM
Post #47

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE (Spacen @ Oct 3 2003, 02:40 AM)
I think they were meant to be seen only in this episode. I read in some commentary that the idea of a ghost like alien was a "that would be cool" idea that they wrote an episode around. I don't think they had any intention of making it a lengthy storyline.

I remember seeing something similar to this in an interview too... they said that the idea for the aliens was never intended to be followed up and most probably wouldn't be, so it was basically intended to be a standalone episode. The writers have gone back on what they have said in the past though and so I wouldn't say a follow up was out of the question and I'm sure it would be welcomed by many fans as this was one of those decent episodes that was kind of left hanging at the end.
+Quote Post
xargle
post Oct 3rd 2003, 5:02 AM
Post #48

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,080

If it was suposed to be a stand alone episode why did they end it with the aliens agreeing to an aliance. that just make it so it should be followed up, cause surley other people would have go to the planet to exange there culture and technology as they mentioned in the episode. (the aliens said they were welcome anytime but they never returned I just find that a bit inconsistant. even if the aliens said don't call us we'll call you or something, it would have been able to be left indefinatley
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 30th 2014 - 6:56 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.