post Jan 11th 2003, 3:52 AM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 3, Episode 19 - New Ground
Original Air Date: February 18, 2000

The SG-1 team travels to a planet where, unbeknownst to them, the planet's two cultures have been at war over their opposed beliefs regarding the Stargate. Upon their arrival, they are met by the curious Nyan, a scientist who explains that their arrival proves that the beliefs of his rival culture, the Optricans, is true.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ussshorty
post Jan 12th 2003, 5:48 AM
Post #2

Major General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 215

i think i liked this episode got a faint vision of it in my head but i cant really remember it. IPB Image
+Quote Post
Pearce1340
post Jan 30th 2003, 11:41 AM
Post #3

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 497

Some quite good technology her if I remember, plus I wonder how the crystal technology works? I mean they are crystals!!!
+Quote Post
ussshorty
post Jan 31st 2003, 12:39 PM
Post #4

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 215

im trying to get a really good picture of it in my head i think i better consult my book. rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
AOT
post Feb 21st 2003, 3:50 AM
Post #5

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 543

The best thing I got out of this was how people who are proven wrong can still be positive. What was the comment, "progress either way is progress"?? Something like that. Pity more of today's world leaders couldn't adopt a similar attitude.
+Quote Post
Major Gmed
post Mar 8th 2003, 1:45 PM
Post #6

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 979

Wasn't this the episode where they were stuck in those little cages? It was a strange episode as it was slightly confusing.
+Quote Post
PAL
post Mar 9th 2003, 11:09 AM
Post #7

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 368

If you remember, the guy who was so openminded was a scientist, but the close minded people are high ranking military officials. In our world its the same. The gov't and military are very close minded. If someone came through a stargate and said "god don't exist" there would probably be a coverup and those people would disappear.
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Mar 13th 2003, 9:26 PM
Post #8

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

QUOTE (Major Gmed @ Mar 8 2003, 01:45 PM)
Wasn't this the episode where they were stuck in those little cages? It was a strange episode as it was slightly confusing.

Yep, this was the "jack in the box" episode...sorry, had to say it! cool.gif

The one thing that threw me was that I thought the gate had to dug out a bit more before a wormhole could form. I mean, that's a little bit weird seeing a wormhole form in front of sheer rock, isn't it?
+Quote Post
Major Gmed
post Mar 14th 2003, 2:29 PM
Post #9

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 979

Seems it caused a problem for the SFX guys as well. The lengths this programme will go to for the viewers is cool. cool.gif
+Quote Post
Aceuss
post Mar 26th 2003, 1:51 PM
Post #10

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,198

It is sad how people will kill each other for beleifs that they can neither support nor deny. This episode touches on that subject very nicely. They didn't elaborate on the personality of the bedrosian army leader, however I suppose that he must've demonstrated great courage and integrity to his people. Yet when faced with the grousome possibility that all what he and his people believed and fought for is false, he is too scared to confront it.

Nyan summed up the wisdom of the episode by saying that in science any progress is progress regardless of its direction. He seemed too young though, wasn't he?

The episode extends a sad prophecy though since it tells us that even at that level of advancement, human civilization will not yet overcome the tendency to fight and kill for religion. I guess we'll have to wait until we're either Tollanized or Noxed. I do not look forward to be Asgardized though alien.gif
+Quote Post
PennyAfNorberg
post Mar 28th 2003, 12:46 PM
Post #11

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,067

I wonder if there will be another travel to that planet in the future, the teknologi seems cool, no to far from ours but still a bit, mening that we would problaly be able to analyse it
Still the religion war sucks bigtime but maybe, just maybe, that war would come to an end because of the events in this episode

Of couse if it was real that stargate would have been redigged and traitors shot at sight

The bad ass boss said exacly how that could stop the war and it might have been a profecia of what will happend, but maybe the littel helper nee to return for the process to grow

Hmm some stuff was left behind...
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Apr 29th 2003, 2:22 AM
Post #12

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

Actually I would expect a younger scientist..or younger ANYONE in many professions to be more open to change than their older counterparts...as far as being "Tollanised" or "Noxed"...give me the Nox...at least they don't have the distinction of being a more tehcnologically advanced race destroyed by the Goa'uld...

Besides, I kinda like the idea that the Nox use stealth and disguise as their main means of defending themselves. However, I draw the line if I had to adopt their fashion sense. laugh.gif

It would be interesting to go back to this planet much later in the future and see how the balance of power is turning out...
+Quote Post
Jon The UK SG-1 Fan
post Jun 22nd 2003, 6:47 AM
Post #13

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 6

Yeah this ep was ok but not my favourite, there weapons looked like staff weapons lol. I also felt sorry for Teal'c going blind and all lol. w00t.gif
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Jun 27th 2003, 4:23 PM
Post #14

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,926

QUOTE (PAL @ Mar 9 2003, 11:09 AM)
If you remember, the guy who was so openminded was a scientist, but the close minded people are high ranking military officials. In our world its the same. The gov't and military are very close minded. If someone came through a stargate and said "god don't exist" there would probably be a coverup and those people would disappear.

You obviously don't know very many scientists...or military for that matter. I have actually met scientists who were willing to let people die (or rather, did not acknowledge that there was an alternative to dieing) because it conflicted with their pet theories; and military people who don't/can't think out-of-the-box don't live long. dry.gif
+Quote Post
Emmyloo
post Jul 15th 2003, 11:23 AM
Post #15

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,745

This ep didnt really make that much sense to me and is definately not one of the better stargate episodes.

How did Teal'c go blind?
I know he was shot in the face with that weapon, but wouldnt it have blown off his head instead of making him blind?

Also, the guy they took back to Earth, did he still have the device he used to cure teal'c's blindness, because that could be usefull, and he was of an advanced race......i wonder if there is any kind of tech he could teach us of?
+Quote Post
sg1JaffaJoo
post Jul 15th 2003, 10:32 PM
Post #16

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,909

That' a really good question.....I think we probably did get some technology from him since he was here on Earth. But what technology was it?? He probably was carrying the device for Teal'c because he needed it still I think. But he could have left it in that cave, right? Anyway, since he was a scientist, he probably taught us a lot of stuff from his race.
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Jul 15th 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #17

Captain
Group Icon

They also brought through at least one weapon. I don't think he would be able to help them much technology wise, unless he had it on him. After all, he was a archaeologist, not a hard-science type. Would one of our achaeologists be able to explain the workings of a television, for example, to a 19th century person?

Too bad about that poor guy, though. He probably won't ever be able to go home. He would have died if he had stayed, which is probably what happened to the female that was with him when the gate first opened. With religious fanatics like that leader, killing people to keep them from 'profaning' your beliefs is better than admitting that they are wrong.
+Quote Post
ramuund
post Jul 18th 2003, 3:55 PM
Post #18

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,871

QUOTE (mithwriter @ Apr 29 2003, 02:22 AM)

Besides, I kinda like the idea that the Nox use stealth and disguise as their main means of defending themselves. However, I draw the line if I had to adopt their fashion sense. laugh.gif

can anyone please post a hairbrush to the noxs- im sure i saw a bird nesting in lyas hair- and would someone tell them to shop in the over threes section all in ones are so last season!!!!

but back to the point- i liked that young aechologist- i would like to see him again after all he is daniels research assistant, he should get some credit some time?
+Quote Post
sg1JaffaJoo
post Jul 18th 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #19

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,909

but back to the point- i liked that young aechologist- i would like to see him again after all he is daniels research assistant, he should get some credit some time?

Yea that's just what i was thinkin!!
+Quote Post
Spacen
post Jul 29th 2003, 10:28 AM
Post #20

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,105

I found it very improbable that we would dial their gate RIGHT when they got it unburied.
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Jul 29th 2003, 5:51 PM
Post #21

Captain
Group Icon

This show is full of improbablities. The fact that the first time they tried to use the gate and it worked is one (movie).
+Quote Post
Spacen
post Jul 29th 2003, 9:51 PM
Post #22

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE (SSG Ret @ Jul 29 2003, 05:51 PM)
This show is full of improbablities. The fact that the first time they tried to use the gate and it worked is one (movie).

It wasn't the first time. Carter said later in the series they had tried hundreds if not thousands of combinations that didn't work before they got it to work the first time. I can't remember what episode but it was early in season 1.
+Quote Post
Metel Setek Noximus
post Sep 20th 2003, 9:00 PM
Post #23

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,298

OK......Did anyone else notice that the kid told Teal'c to stun not kill, then the next thing the kid did was shoot someone twice with a Zat??????

Noximus
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Sep 23rd 2003, 10:06 AM
Post #24

Captain
Group Icon

I did not catch that, I will have to watch it again. I remember him shooting two people but I don't remember him shooting someone twice.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 22nd 2014 - 7:38 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.