Rating  5
ramuund
post Jun 28th 2003, 9:41 PM
Post #25

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,871

i have not seen this episode and originally it did not particulaer stand out but reading about what you have too say and about the fact that they are acting has got me really interested!

one non shades of grey question? does anyone know hwo many posts you have too do to get to certain ranks? as i have seen myself change to an airman basic and want to know what it takes to change again-thanks any help would be greatly appreciated. huh.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aesir
post Jun 29th 2003, 3:06 AM
Post #26

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,811

QUOTE (ramuund @ Jun 29 2003, 03:41 AM)
i have not seen this episode and originally it did not particulaer stand out but reading about what you have too say and about the fact that they are acting has got me really interested!

one non shades of grey question? does anyone know hwo many posts you have too do to get to certain ranks? as i have seen myself change to an airman basic and want to know what it takes to change again-thanks any help would be greatly appreciated. huh.gif

You only watch the episodes that stand out? It's really beneficial to watch them all as some of them don't stand out at first but turn out to be really good. However, I wouldn't say this one falls into this category - it was mediocre in my opinion.

See here for details on how many posts are needed for each rank.
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Jul 3rd 2003, 3:18 PM
Post #27

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,926

I thought something was up from the beginning. That did not seem like O'Neill. Granted, he had always mentioned that he would like this or that piece of technology ("We'll take a dozen"), but if rebuffed, would just shrug it off. As soon as Maybourne showed up, I figured out what was going on. Before that, I was wondering if O'Neill had gotten bit by an alien bug or something.
+Quote Post
Apis
post Jul 3rd 2003, 8:42 PM
Post #28

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,116

Certainly anything can happen on Stargate. Unfortunately I watched this episode as a re-run so I knew that nothing permentaly happened to O'Neil, but after seeing what happened to Dr. Jackson in season five I wouldn't be surprised.
+Quote Post
Tan
post Jul 7th 2003, 10:51 PM
Post #29

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,867

It was pretty predictable, at least after Maybourne showed up. I think they just sort of threw that "One week later" thing in there last-minute, they didn't transition it very well, i.e. O'Neill was still wearing the same outfit and whatnot. I think it might've been better if it was a sort of sub-plot for a while, but as a single episode it was just too sort of... choppy and quick.

I like the characters' interactions with eachother so I don't think I'll ever see an episode of the series that I hate, but if I ever had to pick out my least favorite, this'd be it.
+Quote Post
fishdani2
post Jul 11th 2003, 10:55 AM
Post #30

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,995

I was so glad when they said it was just a hoax cause i thought colonel actually went bad. I mean they acted like it was soooo real... especially general hammond. rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
ramuund
post Jul 18th 2003, 3:47 PM
Post #31

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,871

i finally watched this episode when it was re running 3rd series on sky one and i will admit i kind liked it although i did not believe him when he was saying that he was lying about who he was from the beginnning- that just didnt seem like jack!
+Quote Post
zazzil
post Jul 20th 2003, 12:47 AM
Post #32

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,078

So I just bought the season 3 boxed set and watched this episode tonight, and I love it, but there's this one thing that keeps nagging me # on the menu for this episode, there's a picture of Jack (I think) in this weird Native American (maybe??) costume, complete with body makeup. I certainly do not remember a shot of Jack like that in the episode. Does anyone have any idea why that is there?
+Quote Post
Spacen
post Jul 29th 2003, 10:25 AM
Post #33

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE (zazzil @ Jul 20 2003, 12:47 AM)
So I just bought the season 3 boxed set and watched this episode tonight, and I love it, but there's this one thing that keeps nagging me # on the menu for this episode, there's a picture of Jack (I think) in this weird Native American (maybe??) costume, complete with body makeup. I certainly do not remember a shot of Jack like that in the episode. Does anyone have any idea why that is there?

I remember thinking the same thing and jsut thinking that they messed up the DVD with the wrong picture.
+Quote Post
SSG Ret
post Jul 29th 2003, 5:49 PM
Post #34

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,926

I thought they had goofed up with the picture, too. However, I didn't even notice that it was Jack.
+Quote Post
Spacen
post Jul 29th 2003, 9:50 PM
Post #35

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE (SSG Ret @ Jul 29 2003, 05:49 PM)
I thought they had goofed up with the picture, too. However, I didn't even notice that it was Jack.

I didn't either. I thought it was from the episode "Spirits".
+Quote Post
Bra?tac?s Prot?g
post Oct 30th 2003, 5:40 AM
Post #36

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,631

Shades of Grey & Crystal Skull were the 1st shows I ever saw...(the 1 possible exception to this is CotG). At the time I didn't like them much. Since I had no backround in the series at that time, I thought Jack *was* serious about not caring an' switching sides. Even though I know he was acting that way to be credible to the others (now), I still don't appreciate how he dissed his kids. Esp. my Daniel sad.gif

This post has been edited by Jackson_Fan: Oct 30th 2003, 2:59 PM
+Quote Post
stargatesweetie
post Jan 9th 2004, 3:14 PM
Post #37

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 846

I've just seen this episode again and realised how much I really enjoy the earlier episodes. It was a good story and touched on the "how far will you go to protect your own" scenario. In a way you can appreciate why they were stealing the various artefacts mis-guided as they were. As Jack said at the end "we don't need their things, we need them".
I especially liked the scene at the end when Jack said he was touched by Daniels visit, only to find that they had drawn straws and Daniel lost. There is already a strong bond between the actors in this season and when Teal'c just walks past at the end, it says everything!
+Quote Post
Albion
post Jan 10th 2004, 8:45 AM
Post #38

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,059

I kind of agree with both points of view on this one. It was kind of obvious from the start that this was Jack undercover. For one thing, the scenario is an old standby of many SF shows before Stargate and been done a dozen times before, and for another, well come on - was anyone really expecting Jack to be written out of the show or not turn up with SG1 in the following episode? That would have had to have been the result if his rebellion had been genuine. He'd have been relegated to being Maybourne - popping in for the occasional episode as the rogue bad guy. Not gonna happen, folks! So it was hard to believe that this was real. The odds were high that everything would be reset by the end of the episode.

Having said that, I don't think it mattered. Not to me, certainly or to my enjoyment of the episode. The reasons they gave Jack for 'rebelling' were pretty plausible, I thought, and in character. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's the most plausible scenario on this theme that I've ever seen in any SF show. Usually the rebelling character is acting so out of character you just roll your eyes. But you could believe that Jack's frustration would build to the point where he'd feel this way. Perhaps not that he'd go so far as to steal technology - not sure I could ever see him doing that - but certainly the things he expressed to Daniel when they met sounded very in character to me.

And it had some wonderful moments in it. I really liked the scene between Jack and Daniel at Jack's house. And the end scene is hilarious. Everyone's reaction make me laugh. And I agree with the poster who mentioned Teal'c here especially. He's hysterically funny without ever saying a word. I love the way he pauses and then lifts his chin before stalking off.

As always with such episodes I thought the reasons for not including the rest of SG-1 in the plan sucked royally. That 'we wanted you to give normal reactions' never works for me. But, hey ho, that's just one of the drawbacks of this kind of episode, so I ignore it.

Plus, we get to see Jack in dress uniform. Grrrrrrrrowl. Always a good reason to award an episode an A+ and mark it as a favourite. wink.gif

Albion smile.gif
+Quote Post
ade
post Mar 1st 2004, 4:08 PM
Post #39

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,695

This is one of those episodes that I watched and had no idea where it was goin until we were quite far in. You know that something is up coz they ent gonna do anything to radical with Jacks character, but I still didn't click.

Gr8 ep tho, another one that just ROCKS!! (but most do).
+Quote Post
CitizenK
post Apr 13th 2004, 8:04 PM
Post #40

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,783

Hello, everyone ! I'm alittle surprized that no one has mentioned the Seinfeld nod
the writers included in this episode. Jack was in Maybourne's private jet when he brings out the goua'ld communications device to contact the rogue NID off world secret base. He twiddles some nobs and into the sphere comes Newmann to which Jack responds,"Hello, Newmann" in that same sort of drawn out voice Jerry Seinfeld used whenever he talked to the character Newmann on his show.

I thought it was pretty funny.... must be nice having your own private jet at your
beckon call; not to mention your own private forces.

I didn't think this episode was a mediocre as some folks thought. We certainly got to see Maybourne at his smarmy best, Jack in his dress blues and Makepeace exposed as an NID spy. I knew there was something about Makepeace that bothered me. That must count for something.

Now, I've been sort of scratching my head and talking with other members about what happens to Maybourne at the end of this episode because it impacts two later episodes i.e. Watergate and Chain Reaction.

At the end, once Jack has exposed the rogue NID team and arrested them all, why didn't he make any mention of what happened to Maybourne ? As the leader of that off world team or at least the guy calling the shots, he should have been arrested along with all the rest. So, did he make off in his private jet ? Is this when he decides to sell SGC secrets to the Russians ? Jack didn't seem terribly concerned that Maybourne had gone missing. Although, ultimately, the goal was to regain the trust of the Nox, Asgard and Tollan. Which his charade did achieve.

don't mind me folks, I'm just trying to figure out how Maybourne ticks.

+Quote Post
killerz298
post Apr 21st 2004, 1:21 AM
Post #41

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,880

When O'neill dialed back to earth at the end of the episode and told the rogue NID that he would be "holding the gate open" so that they couldn't dial out. How exactly did he do this? I thought that any matter placed in the wrong direction in the hole was destroyed? And some people say well he kept his hand from materializing when he reached earth, how the hell did he do this? It always seems as if the force of going through the hole makes them have foward motion on the other end.
+Quote Post
Mac.Fan
post Apr 23rd 2004, 7:23 AM
Post #42

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,500

Sam,Daniel and Teal'c could not beleave what they saw with what Jack was doing. Well in the end they find out why he did what he did. One reason he said was that the asgard likes him laugh.gif
+Quote Post
scjon
post Apr 23rd 2004, 8:06 AM
Post #43

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,003

It was a very engaging episode and wasn't that obvious where it was going. Although I did assume that Jack's rogue status wouldn't be permanent, because I knew that RDA was in future eps.

"I haven't been myself since I met you" is a wonderfully ambiguous line!

As has been noted Sam, Teal'c and Daniels reactions were all great-especially Teal'c's.
+Quote Post
Xbuster
post Jun 7th 2004, 7:36 PM
Post #44

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,194

Please! This was so obviously a set-up. I knew it the moment Col.Mayborne got in to the picture. But it was a good episode and I really liked the unusuall way the gate clipped between worlds when Jack went from earth to the pick-up planet.

One thing though.
The line "we don't need their stuff... but we do need them" kinda emphasizes a point I want to make.

Isn't it kinda dangerous to grow too dependent on another race?

In one way, I can sympathize with the rouge group. We do need to advance technologically to better protect ourselves. In a way, that sorta makes the no-tech policy of the other races quite annoying.
If the Goa'uld motherships suddenly descent on Earth; the Tollan, the Nox, the Asgard... the whole bunch of 'em wouldn't know the Earth was in danger untill it would be too late.
In that aspect, we still CAN'T defend ourselves and NEED to find ways in wich to do just that.

But I am in no way in favour of stealing tech from more advanced cultures.
I'd rather try to disscus and convince other races in a more diplomatic way.
Maybe that's why I like Daniel so much! rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
Dr Sam
post Jul 16th 2004, 1:48 PM
Post #45

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,804

I'd seen the end of this ep a few years back when it was on TV so I knew Jack was working as a double agent as it were, but it didn't make the ep any less enjoyable! I do wonder why they didn't go after Maybourne straight away though? They got all the others in cuffs at the end and there's no mention of those further up the command chain.

What's with the 'I've not been acting myself since I met you' line to Carter??
+Quote Post
SiegeDeSpahr
post Sep 3rd 2004, 2:41 AM
Post #46

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,200

I thought that Jack was a great actor for being Airforce brass (though that's probibly one of the reason's he was choosen). Figured out what was going on when Maybourne showed up when Jack didn't just shoot him for stepping onto his property... I would have...
+Quote Post
CitizenK
post Sep 3rd 2004, 9:50 AM
Post #47

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,783

There's one thing about this episode that always bothered me. We find out a couple of things about Jack that don't seem in keeping with his character. For the one thing, when Maybourne comes to visit Jack and make his pitch, Jack is listening to opera.

Some how with all that I've learned about Jack over the last few seasons, opera never struck me as something he would like.

And on top of that... he was toying with a chess set. Jack never struck me as being a chess player either. I was figured him as a poker player. His house was great. I wouldn't mind having one like that either. But, when Daniel came to visit, it just seems odd that O'Neill would be sitting over a chess set.

I can see him reading... watching some sports event on TV. even barbecuing or fishing to relax. It seems so setup. which if you think about it, the whole story was a setup. Jack wasn't being himself. so, maybe those were things he did out of character to suit the situation.

odd, huh ?
+Quote Post
SiegeDeSpahr
post Sep 3rd 2004, 6:20 PM
Post #48

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,200

Being out of character is exactly what I think Jack was doing. The small tidbits like the chess and the opera were, in my opinion, to give you the implications of plots-within-plots. Sure they don't strike one as things Jack would enjoy on his own, but they do serve as a type of "eye candy" for his actons.

Sneaky Sneaky!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 1st 2014 - 12:22 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.