sgcl librarian
post Mar 21st 2004, 5:13 PM
Post #49

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,781

QUOTE (chiroho @ Feb 20 2003, 05:35 PM)
But there is one thing about this episode that I don't like, and that's the fact that JO is getting dumber.  What do I mean by this?  Well the big issue is the telescope thing.  As appeared at the beginning of episode 101, Children of the Gods, JO is supposed to be a decent amateur astronomer.  In fact the two guys who show up to bring him back to the SGC find him on the roof of his house looking at stars.  This further reinforced later in season 1, Singularity, when he is the one that stays to use the telescope.  And then in season 2, A Matter of Time, he knows a lot about black holes because, once again, he practices amateur astronomy.  Yet in this episode he all of a sudden does not know that he can't look at a telescope during daylight?  PLEASE!  he would know better.  Yes, I know it makes for a cute scene with SC and all, but it's not a mistake an astronomer would make. 

When I heard Jack ask what he was supposed to see, I wish that Samantha would have replied with a caustic, "It's a solar-powered telescope, sir. It's not charged yet." I would have loved to have seen the suspicion/confusion on RDA's face then. laugh.gif

Actually, I wonder about the reason for that scene where Jack acts unaware of the equipment being a telescope. Could the cause be having different writers for the latter episodes?

Of course, everyone must have doubted the complete truth of the prisoners' story when they kill an enemy after he is wounded without interrogation. And what is the deal with both humanoids and aliens having the same weapons? Also, I wondered about Aden Corso when he said he didn't know what was wrong with his ship, and his engineer was dead. (Suspicion builds) How can a captain marooned on a planet not know what is wrong with his ship?

I think that Major Carter's role should be verbal sparring with people. Vulnerable with Aden Corso? No. Putting him at ease so that he will talk about his technology? Yes.

Finally, I was glad to hear the usually reserved Teal'c say at the aliens' campsite, "O'Neill, you do not believe them either."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Mar 21st 2004, 7:25 PM
Post #50

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

Actually, I wonder about the reason for that scene where Jack acts unaware of the equipment being a telescope. Could the cause be having different writers for the latter episodes?

You can blame Damian Kindler for that one. He wrote this ep, although I would've thought some else on staff would've caught that.

This whole ep has always struck me as just...odd...like I'm watching Stargate but not really. I don't know if its a combination of the story premise and how SG1 relates/reacts to the crew/prisoners, but it always seemed to me as being a bit off, like the ep was written by someone who sorta knows the show, but doesn't have a true grasp of the characters. I don't know how else to explain it, but its a gut reaction that I get when I watch this one.

On the plus side, the location was nice, especially among the trees. Nice lighting, and they had one or two wide angle master shots I wish they had stayed on a bit longer, including the one where Teal'c and O'Neill have the Severus's captain captured between them. Really nice shot.

This post has been edited by mithwriter: Mar 21st 2004, 7:26 PM
+Quote Post
Mac.Fan
post Jul 8th 2004, 8:44 AM
Post #51

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,500

it was a intersting episode. Jonas got his first alien kiss.He also found out that the ship name"the seberas" was some how conected with a old earth ship name witch the name was simmer to the one is the book he was reading up on and found out what it mean and about the ship. Jack and Sam were together for a moment alone.
Sam was able to fix the ship and the bad guys got court in the end.
+Quote Post
Xbuster
post Jul 28th 2004, 4:47 AM
Post #52

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,194

Ok, I can not for the world of things figure out what happened in the end. What exactly DID Jonas do to save the day?? We get a glimpse of his GDO, then they walk towards the gate, Jonas throws himself off at the last second and POW!.. everybody else gets splattered against the iris... or so I guessed it would be; when Jonas carefully shows O'neill the GDO.

But no. We get a glimpse of his GDO, they walk through the gate and suddenly, back on earth; they get greeted by a well armed welcoming-comit?e!!
And I am reeeeally having a hard time understanding the bad-guy-woman's words right there and then. What was it?... "You planted the adress!!?" or did she say something else?

unsure.gif "WANTED: someone who can help me understand. Five bucks an hour, no severance pay"

+Quote Post
Samantha Carter - O'Neil
post Aug 29th 2004, 1:29 PM
Post #53

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,012

did anyone notice that when the alian guy was talking to sam....i forget which scene the music that was playing is the same music that was playing in" Divide and Conquer" when Jack admitts his feelings for Sam? i thought that was an interesting twist.
+Quote Post
laurab
post Oct 15th 2004, 6:31 AM
Post #54

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,499

This was ok.
That alien girl (the one who got hurt!) was wierd.
Poor Jonas! She caught him by surprise. It was a little funny when he kept poping in & out of the screen, trying to pick up those things!
He's smarter than more people think- i think it was cool how quick he caught on (with that lie!)
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Oct 18th 2004, 6:30 AM
Post #55

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

I was watching this ep yeaterday and noticed something. When the prisoners (who SG1 believe are the crew of the ship) turn on that sonic defece system have you noticed how the screen that is shown looks lke the Zatarc detector screen?
+Quote Post
Hazaa3000
post Oct 26th 2004, 7:20 PM
Post #56

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,412

Better than the sequal to this episode - don't watch Space Race (or whateva), it was shocking.

Great plot twist - nice one.
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Jan 15th 2005, 7:19 AM
Post #57

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 3,724

"We're just pluging your ship into my battery" laugh.gif . It's wonderful to see some actual 'character' with Carter in this ep. One thing doesn't make sense, she said she made a mean sufele (sp?) but in Emacipation she said she couldn't cook if her life depended on it, has she miraculously picked up advanced cooking skills since then considering she's never home?
How sleezy was Aiden! I can't believe Carter was flirting with that guy. sick.gif
It did seem strange that O'Neill was willing to still help them with their ship no questions asked even though he had suspisions sbout their situation with the 'aliens'.
I actually liked the scenes with Jonas and Hammond, it shows Hammond has really warmed up to him and treats him the same as everyone else.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 23rd 2014 - 5:59 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.