TheCordler
post May 18th 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #25

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,086

QUOTE(Shylodog @ May 17th 2011, 4:26 PM) *

Atlantis crossing in 24 hours was a fluke and deus ex machina by the writers to end the series. Typically it would have taken Atlantis much longer to cross back to the Milky Way, but they needed an immediate solution, to which McKay suggested a maneuver that would most likely destroy the city. But he was pretty sure they could make it. The city (nor the gates) were ever designed to create a wormhole outside of themselves.

The "bleeds" that Eli was referring to are the various systems that are running while Destiny is inhabited. Once everyone is in stasis, there would be no more (or EXTREMELY few) power bleeds because everything that causes them whould be shut off (computer core and FTL engines do not count).

I would, however, agree that Destiny's FTL is far less advanced than the Lantean technology. If it were more advanced, they probably wouldn't need as much power to make it go as they currently do. Three ZPMs may actually power Destiny for millions of years if the FTL technology was more advanced. As it stands, they need a LOT of raw power to make Destiny do what Atlantis needs relatively small amounts of power to do.

Actually atlantis under 3 ZPMs using Hyperdrives was able to be pushed to the point of catching up to the wraith super ship and had they not died the city would have been to earth in under 48hours, the Wormwhole drive is what they used to finish the trip with after they were stopped half way.

the Bleeds were areas of the ship where the ship took damage and power was literally bleeding out from these areas, the plan was to shut these systems and areas down to prevent any power draw, the bleed had no overall effect towards the FTL outside of the drastic over time energy loss that would shut the FTL down.

The Destiny FTL doesn't require huge energy, in fact under damage, under full capacity, and seriously crippled ship status, they can efficiently run for over 3 years even at the end of SGU. if anything they are advanced in effiecency, but lack in over all speed and the ability to go faster than the set speed. The huge power loss comes from all over the destiny, from damaged power relays, junctions, and capacitors, to mostly life support and shields to damaged areas.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post May 19th 2011, 9:34 AM
Post #26

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,463

QUOTE(TheCordler @ May 18th 2011, 8:51 AM) *

Actually atlantis under 3 ZPMs using Hyperdrives was able to be pushed to the point of catching up to the wraith super ship and had they not died the city would have been to earth in under 48hours, the Wormwhole drive is what they used to finish the trip with after they were stopped half way.

I'm not sure where you got your timelines there. I just re-read the transcripts from EatG, and while we're not given actual timeframes, John Sheppard gave us a hint in one of his lines. He stated that they expected the Wraith would taken a couple more weeks to reach Earth although they arrived earlier than expected. It has been suggested that some of the time gaps while appearing to only be hours in the show may have been days or weeks given what we already know about hyperdrive technology.

On 3 ZPMs, Atlantis would never have made it back to Earth in 48 hours. Even with the most advanced Asgard hyperdrive technology, our 304's still take about two weeks to reach Atlantis from Earth.

the Bleeds were areas of the ship where the ship took damage and power was literally bleeding out from these areas, the plan was to shut these systems and areas down to prevent any power draw, the bleed had no overall effect towards the FTL outside of the drastic over time energy loss that would shut the FTL down.

Those areas had already been shut down. Again, Eli was referring to the people still being up and around utilizing systems. Those system utilizations are the bleeding he is referring to. With, perhaps, exception to the hull breaches that the shields were protecting. However we have to assume he wasn't counting that as he can't just shut the shields off. Ever.

The Destiny FTL doesn't require huge energy, in fact under damage, under full capacity, and seriously crippled ship status, they can efficiently run for over 3 years even at the end of SGU. if anything they are advanced in effiecency, but lack in over all speed and the ability to go faster than the set speed. The huge power loss comes from all over the destiny, from damaged power relays, junctions, and capacitors, to mostly life support and shields to damaged areas.

The primary power loss comes from two places. One: dropping out of and engaging FTL drives. Two: Gate usage.
+Quote Post
StarFighter
post May 19th 2011, 6:36 PM
Post #27

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,924

QUOTE(Shylodog @ May 19th 2011, 10:34 AM) *

On 3 ZPMs, Atlantis would never have made it back to Earth in 48 hours. Even with the most advanced Asgard hyperdrive technology, our 304's still take about two weeks to reach Atlantis from Earth.

But that is using our own power technology. Didn't the Daedalus make it from Earth to Atlantis in just a 2 days when the Hyperdrive was powered by the ZPM?

+Quote Post
Shylodog
post May 19th 2011, 6:50 PM
Post #28

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(StarFighter @ May 19th 2011, 4:36 PM) *

But that is using our own power technology. Didn't the Daedalus make it from Earth to Atlantis in just a 2 days when the Hyperdrive was powered by the ZPM?

I don't recall. Which episode was that?
+Quote Post
StarFighter
post May 20th 2011, 2:36 AM
Post #29

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Shylodog @ May 19th 2011, 7:50 PM) *

I don't recall. Which episode was that?

It was during the Siege episodes. The episodes where the 3 wraith hive ships were coming to attack Atlantis. SG1 found the ZPM on Earth during the Moebius episodes. They used the ZPM to dial Atlantis and send more troops and supplies. Then the ZPM was plugged into the Daedalus hyperdrive and was rushed to Atlantis to power the shield. The trip only took about 2 days.
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post May 20th 2011, 2:06 PM
Post #30

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(StarFighter @ May 20th 2011, 12:36 AM) *

It was during the Siege episodes. The episodes where the 3 wraith hive ships were coming to attack Atlantis. SG1 found the ZPM on Earth during the Moebius episodes. They used the ZPM to dial Atlantis and send more troops and supplies. Then the ZPM was plugged into the Daedalus hyperdrive and was rushed to Atlantis to power the shield. The trip only took about 2 days.

Pesky plot holes! You're right, the Colonel said that Daedalus would arrive within 4 days by ZPM power. Grrrr... Ok, I got nothin. 1.gif
+Quote Post
StarFighter
post May 20th 2011, 4:59 PM
Post #31

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Shylodog @ May 20th 2011, 3:06 PM) *

Pesky plot holes! You're right, the Colonel said that Daedalus would arrive within 4 days by ZPM power. Grrrr... Ok, I got nothin. 1.gif

I'm a pretty hardcore fan of the Stargate franchise but the franchise has gone on for so long that even the plot holes are confusing me. That's why I'm still so confused about Destiny's FTL drive. I still don't understand.
+Quote Post
Baggers.
post May 20th 2011, 6:57 PM
Post #32

Baggers.
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,573

Just watched the final episode, and I cant believe they're going to let it end that way. All the other series atleast had some sort of conclusion but this sucks. I honestly hated the first season but they finally got their act together for the second series, and then they go and cancel it. Gutted doesn't even come close.
+Quote Post
TheCordler
post May 21st 2011, 7:39 AM
Post #33

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,086

The Destiny's FTL is not hyperdrive, that was stated by Dr. Rush in the first episode.

The destiny FTL is not a resource hog, as it has been stated and frequently shown that the drive itself can operate and engage rather easily. It has been stated that the power loss to the ship has nothing to do with the FTL, but the overall structure and system damage to the ship

Destiny's FTL have a cool down time, failure to allow for the process will damage the drives themselves.

Destiny's FTL once engaged can continue operating almost indefinitely, as it has been shown that unless a gate dials in, the energy levels drop to critical, the ship can at at least maintain FTL for 3 solid years.

Destiny's real issue is power reserve and regulation, as damage over the years prevents destiny from recharging to 100% capacity (Dr rush stated in Season 1 that for some reason or another she can only recharge to 50% of her maximum capacity, which they rate as the new 100%).

Damage and age has also contributed to the energy loss, as destiny itself has blown resistors, junctions, and of course the SGU expedition constantly requiring power. Life support itself has now become inefficient on power consumption as the Destiny has sustained too much damage overall to just regulate power to those areas the expedition is in, requiring massive re-routes and surges from feedback on damaged areas that can't be shutdown as they may have a critical power junction needed to even send power to living areas. Basically as eli said it, the ship now Critically Bleeds power all over and the destiny will find itself needing to recharge at stars more frequently as long as they are on the ship.

in the end, Gauntlet really really really shortened the Destiny's long term existence, as even without a crew she would be dangerously close to destrcution at this point with no living being to repair it, right now i would assume that Destiny's AI is probably crunching the numbers on it's current physical state, more than likely calculating a route to planets rich in resources and expending the required amount of time for our team to extract those resources, or Desting is going to call and meet up with a Ancient Automated Repair ship designed to havest resources with drones to make repairs to both the Seed Ships and the Destiny at some point. I suspect this has been done before as even through natural wear and tear, all technological tools and parts would over time degrade through entropy and thus i find it hard to believe that after several million years the Destiny has not had parts swapped out, it is highly impossible especially with the fact that destiny has been using systems like Shields, FTL, and Solar Collectors for said million years.
+Quote Post
StarFighter
post May 23rd 2011, 3:06 AM
Post #34

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCordler @ May 21st 2011, 8:39 AM) *

The Destiny's FTL is not hyperdrive, that was stated by Dr. Rush in the first episode.

This is exactly what I don't understand. From what I see the Destiny FTL actually stays in "normal" space it is just that the FTL engines have figured out a way to go faster than light.

The hyperdrives actually put ships into hyperspace which takes it out of "normal" space. The hyperdrive and hyperspace appears to be far more advanced than just FTL.

I am confused on how fast the FTL appears to get Destiny from one location to the next. From most of the series we see that the FTL is pretty fast. It crossed the void between galaxies rather quickly.

Actually things get even more confusing with the last episode. It will now take them 3 years to travel the rest of the galaxy they are in AND the void to get to the next galaxy. This now makes the FTL seem incredibly slow.

The whole FTL drive appears to change depending on what the writers need. There is no constant.
+Quote Post
Reignfire
post May 25th 2011, 5:10 PM
Post #35

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,640

QUOTE(StarFighter @ May 23rd 2011, 3:06 AM) *

Actually things get even more confusing with the last episode. It will now take them 3 years to travel the rest of the galaxy they are in AND the void to get to the next galaxy. This now makes the FTL seem incredibly slow.

The whole FTL drive appears to change depending on what the writers need. There is no constant.

Not if the void is much larger between the current galaxy and the next compared to the distance with the previous, but then the question is why not go back to the previous one?
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post May 25th 2011, 6:35 PM
Post #36

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Reignfire @ May 25th 2011, 3:10 PM) *

Not if the void is much larger between the current galaxy and the next compared to the distance with the previous, but then the question is why not go back to the previous one?

Because that would screw up the entire premise of the show. Destiny has to move forward and collect the CMBR. Also, the Nakai are waiting for them back there.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post May 29th 2011, 4:18 AM
Post #37

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

There were a lot of thoughts here, but I just wanted to comment on the speed of the FTL drive. They said that the drive was faster than light, but not hyperspace. I don't think they ever said Destiny's FTL drive was faster or slower than anything else.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 19th 2014 - 12:15 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.