post Apr 9th 2011, 3:01 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 2, Episode 17 - Common Descent
Air Date: (US) April 18, 2011

The crew gates to a nearby planet while Destiny tries to recharge.

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Reignfire
post Apr 18th 2011, 9:31 PM
Post #2

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,640

From the trailer I was worried about this being a ripoff of the DS9 episode: Children of Time, but that wasn't the case. Definitly an improvement from last week.

Now I go back to waiting for Portal 2.

[Edit]Forgot to mention my favorite part: When they say Rush is described as a demon who steal souls, Park says some ideas get exaggerated over time and Volker says "or not". biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Reignfire: Apr 18th 2011, 10:33 PM
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Apr 18th 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #3

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,463

Definitely a lot of fun and funny parts in this one. I give this one a 10/10 rating. Calling the opposing "country" Rush-a was hilarious!
+Quote Post
StarFighter
post Apr 20th 2011, 12:15 PM
Post #4

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,924

I can't tell if I liked this episode or not. I'm not a huge fan of the episodes that deal with time travel. They are often used as an easy way to get out of things or even acquire things. Like we saw with the crew stripping the second destiny of all its components.

I admit it is interesting to see that the people were not killed when they went through the wormhole but they went back in time. Although I don't really like that they gated to another planet. The way the wormholes are effected seems to constantly change when dealing with solar flares and time travel. In SG1 the wormhole bent back on itself and in Stargate Atlantis we saw that the wormhole did not bend on itself. Now in Stargate Universe we see that the wormhole jumps to another gate entirely. There seems to be very little continuity with time travel via the gates.

From what I got out of this episode Telford was able to successfully gate home but after that the solar flares effected the wormhole and sent everyone else back 2000 years. Also the time distortion was so massive that it reached through the even horizon and actually transported the entire ship back in time a bit. Is that what everyone else got out of this?

This post has been edited by StarFighter: Apr 20th 2011, 12:16 PM
+Quote Post
Reignfire
post Apr 20th 2011, 7:41 PM
Post #5

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,640

QUOTE(StarFighter @ Apr 20th 2011, 12:15 PM) *

Although I don't really like that they gated to another planet.

I was willing to let this slide due to the fact that power surges can lead to gate jumping and with the problems they were having and the vast power they were taking it seemed possible.
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Apr 21st 2011, 1:11 PM
Post #6

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,463

QUOTE(StarFighter @ Apr 20th 2011, 10:15 AM) *

From what I got out of this episode Telford was able to successfully gate home but after that the solar flares effected the wormhole and sent everyone else back 2000 years. Also the time distortion was so massive that it reached through the even horizon and actually transported the entire ship back in time a bit. Is that what everyone else got out of this?

Pretty much what I got. But just to clarify, they think that the wormhole did loop back on itself - or at least tried to. But since Destiny was nowhere near this galaxy, the wormhole simply connected to the nearest gate at that time.
+Quote Post
TheCordler
post Apr 22nd 2011, 10:21 AM
Post #7

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,086

well, let's look at how gate time travel works, in sg-1 1969, the solarflare caused the wormwhole to loop around the sun, and bend back in on itself, causing a time travel jump to the point of origin, despite being no gate at cheyenne at the time. Later it was learned that with proper timing and calculations a jump could be directed back into a working gate, as samantha carter jumpes sg-1 from the warehouse back to the future where the gate was at the sgc, despite the gate being at a warehouse, as with correct calculations she bounced the wormwhole back into the gate, where originally the time jump deposited at the same space, no gate, different time, under the rules of the first jump they should have exited the time gate at the warehouse spatial coordinates but at a different time, not at the SGC gate. This established the rule that with careful calcutions one can jump the time wormhole to a stargate itself.

Later a new rule was made, that a gate can dial through time to even another planets gate, revealed further in SGA as john went from departure gate on planet A and arrived at atlantis gate planet B but in the future, where rodney demonstrated Carter's rebounding gate method to return john back through the gate to arrive at the departure gate spatial coordinates but different time.

seeing as destiny's was dialing within a star and directily near the solar flare, the energy of the flare amplified the time bending and created an explosive surge, with the destiny origin point not fixed, and earth's gate was burried and undialable 2000 years ago, i figure that it was what caused the large time distortion. With destiny being a multi-origin gate, bending the wormwhole back wouldn't work as well as the wormwhole would not have a point of origin fixed, allowing the wormwhole to reach earth gate was impossible as 2000 years ago the gate was buried, so logically the bended wormwhole was able tocurved to the nearest gate at the point of origin in large part to the explosive surge, which was how they all settled on a new world.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Apr 30th 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #8

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

Wow, this is a Stargate Episode. I haven't finished yet, but I love the feel.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 23rd 2014 - 10:21 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.