Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Universe: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate Universe only. Universe spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate SG-1 Discussion and Stargate Atlantis Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

Universe Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stargate Universe Canceled
AtheneBelle
post Jan 23rd 2011, 12:36 PM
Post #1

Airman
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,548

This forum section is dead and I think I have an idea why.

According to Deadline.com SGU is not renewed for a third season. Now it does sound like the producers of SGU are trying to figure out some other avenues to try and finish out the arc but TBCH... I could care less. They never did a great job with the production of it. From the very beginning... the FIRST episode they altered the style of it. Even Atlantis was gradual alteration of the style of the show. Instead it jumped in less than an episode to a totally different "world" (and no, I'm not talking literally) and it showed. Everything about it did not say "Alterran" (even the Alterans from earth). It was not at all what I would expect.

I have been watching this show but not "religiously" (read at LEAST twice and visiting this forum to post on it) in part because it just didn't appeal to me. I wouldn't even bother to watch it live, preferring to wait a MONTH until HULU would have it on. It says something when someone who grew up on Stargate SG-1 and thoroughly enjoyed Atlantis refuses to watch it (but ultimately gives it the "college try" and is "meh" about it). It says that the producers execution of the product was BAD. Star Trek NEVER abandoned their original demographic over the years as far as I remember (I was too young to be in the target demo of both TOS and TNG but still love both-to the point of dad teasing me of being a trekkie even back then- and will catch TNG on rerun on Syfy a LOT).

What I'm more miffed about is that the producers said that with SGU canceled that the Atlantis movies is shelved indefinitely. mad.gif

*rant alert* Honestly, the only reason I wait to watch it online is that it doesn't rate as highly as SG-1, SGA, or even the shows I currently watch live, Chuck, Castle, Undercovers, Smallville, etc. It is much further down my list of shows of interest in part because of production style, alteration of the SG universe, and the lack of connection with the characters (minus Eli). And apparently I'm not the only one if their ratings are only .5 as Deadline stated. People in the target demo that are familiar with the SG universe via either SG-1 or SGA are going to be uncomfortable with the shift in style unless they ALSO like that kind of environment.

Personally, while I watch it, it's no sweat off of my back whether or not they cancel this show and never go back. The side effect of Atlantis being indefinitely shelved however, miffs me to no end.

ETA: Oh, and here's a link about a group trying to save SGU. If you are so inclined to canvas for a new season feel free to go to it.

This post has been edited by AtheneBelle: Jan 23rd 2011, 12:37 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
StarFighter
post Feb 4th 2011, 7:51 AM
Post #2

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,924

Just read this today online. I'm obviously behind because this was announced back in December. With the official canceling of this franchise I really have no reason to watch the SciFi Channel anymore.
+Quote Post
StarFighter
post Mar 8th 2011, 1:05 AM
Post #3

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,924

Are the final episodes going to wrap things up or is this series going to end in the middle of the story?
+Quote Post
AtheneBelle
post Mar 8th 2011, 8:20 AM
Post #4

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,548

QUOTE(StarFighter @ Mar 8th 2011, 12:05 AM) *

Are the final episodes going to wrap things up or is this series going to end in the middle of the story?

From what I understood it's supposed to pick up in May but I'm not 100% certain on that one.

ETA: March 7th was when it should have started back up.

This post has been edited by AtheneBelle: Mar 8th 2011, 8:21 AM
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Mar 8th 2011, 10:12 AM
Post #5

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,463

QUOTE(AtheneBelle @ Mar 8th 2011, 5:20 AM) *

From what I understood it's supposed to pick up in May but I'm not 100% certain on that one.

ETA: March 7th was when it should have started back up.

Watched it last night. Was a good episode for me, but I will refrain from spoiling due to minor complaints.
+Quote Post
TheCordler
post Mar 9th 2011, 12:22 PM
Post #6

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,086

it's a shame that Delieverance was in my opinion the best episode of the Entire series, only for it to be the least viewed episode of the entire series at 1 million viewers.

Definitely not a good sign for TPTB in their attempts to get something rolling on a conclusion for the series in the form of any medium.
+Quote Post
Colonel Wolfe
post Mar 24th 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #7

Airman Basic

Member No.: 5,416

When Sci-Fi Channel canceled Stargate Atlantis, that did it for me, where SFC was concerned. NBC has never been one for sci-fi shows and Sci Fi is owned by NBC.

SG1 simply continued to exist for absolutely no reason other than the fact that the producers wanted to soak the series for as much as it was worth. I actually enjoyed Stargate Atlantis but I siply could not get into SGU. The characters were dull, the premiere episode jumped all over the place and the series never really grabbed hold of me.

The series simply blew monkey dust and this was the same problem that Sci Fi Channel had with Caprica. There were just too many drastic changes and SGU never really made any sense. It just transformed into a generic sci fi series and the characters were so 2-dimensional that they were uninteresting to the viewer.

I'm hoping that if they decide to go back and reboot the franchise that they need to deal with the Ancients and the Builders because they were never really explored during SG1 and SGA.
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Mar 25th 2011, 9:46 AM
Post #8

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Wolfe @ Mar 24th 2011, 8:37 PM) *

When Sci-Fi Channel canceled Stargate Atlantis, that did it for me, where SFC was concerned. NBC has never been one for sci-fi shows and Sci Fi is owned by NBC.

SG1 simply continued to exist for absolutely no reason other than the fact that the producers wanted to soak the series for as much as it was worth. I actually enjoyed Stargate Atlantis but I siply could not get into SGU. The characters were dull, the premiere episode jumped all over the place and the series never really grabbed hold of me.

The series simply blew monkey dust and this was the same problem that Sci Fi Channel had with Caprica. There were just too many drastic changes and SGU never really made any sense. It just transformed into a generic sci fi series and the characters were so 2-dimensional that they were uninteresting to the viewer.

I'm hoping that if they decide to go back and reboot the franchise that they need to deal with the Ancients and the Builders because they were never really explored during SG1 and SGA.

I will simply respectfully disagree with you. Your opinions are valid, to you. I have found the entire SGU series enjoyable as a whole. There were some questionable episodes (even for me) but all-in-all, I will be sad to see this series end.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Mar 29th 2011, 9:07 AM
Post #9

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Colonel Wolfe @ Mar 25th 2011, 3:37 AM) *

I will say, that rather than make another show dealing with the Ancients or whatever, they should just leave the franchise now. I think whatever they choose to make now would just be trying to milk the franchise again, and to be honest, they've covered most things when it comes to the Ancients already. Stargate's had its time, if they were to make another series (which I highly doubt), I think that, like Universe, it would only last a season or two. The interest has just waned too much in the general public.

Universe started with a decent amount of interest, but that just went away largely. Another series in this franchise would just be beating the dead horse for no real benefit.

Universe had potential, and has been pretty decent in season 2, but it took them too long, where the show was too unfocussed that people just didn't maintain their interest. It's one of the only shows I've ever seen where I saw the pilot and genuinely didn't know what I thought of it.
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Mar 29th 2011, 11:33 AM
Post #10

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

I think that ultimately, when they decided to create SGU, the creators should have given the tip of the hat to Stargate by having it in the show, but ultimately not called it "Stargate Universe". They should have called the show "Destiny" or something else. That way they possibly wouldn't have had so many Stargate fans in an uproar. They could have plainly said "Yes, this is a Stargate spinoff. But it is in no way intended to be anything like the previous Stargate franchises." Then, maybe, fans wouldn't have been so critical, and possibly could have enjoyed it for the type of show and story it was.

But alas, we will never know. crying.gif
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Mar 29th 2011, 12:01 PM
Post #11

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Shylodog @ Mar 29th 2011, 5:33 PM) *

I think that ultimately, when they decided to create SGU, the creators should have given the tip of the hat to Stargate by having it in the show, but ultimately not called it "Stargate Universe". They should have called the show "Destiny" or something else. That way they possibly wouldn't have had so many Stargate fans in an uproar. They could have plainly said "Yes, this is a Stargate spinoff. But it is in no way intended to be anything like the previous Stargate franchises." Then, maybe, fans wouldn't have been so critical, and possibly could have enjoyed it for the type of show and story it was.

But alas, we will never know. crying.gif

That actually would have been quite a good idea, may also have left it more open allowing people who maybe weren't interested in Stargate before to come on board. But yeah, it's too late for pondering. But I am starting to catch up on the second half of season 2 and it is pretty good, but I'm also watching knowing that it's inevitably going to end with no resolution.
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Mar 29th 2011, 4:31 PM
Post #12

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Mar 29th 2011, 10:01 AM) *

That actually would have been quite a good idea, may also have left it more open allowing people who maybe weren't interested in Stargate before to come on board. But yeah, it's too late for pondering. But I am starting to catch up on the second half of season 2 and it is pretty good, but I'm also watching knowing that it's inevitably going to end with no resolution.

Kinda like watching Firefly on DVD for the first time. Confuzzled.gif
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 30th 2011, 1:09 PM
Post #13

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

The second half of season 2 hasn't started over here yet. After christmas, it used to be on early january, so I'm pretty used to not watching it now. I dont feel like im missing anything TBH. The same goes for Caprica too. Once a show gets cancelled, it goes on the back burners.
I agree with you Shylo, it shouldn't have been labelled Stargate, it was a very tenuous link to the franchise and I cant help think it might have been more successful if it was just named Destiny.
Stargate has now had it's last gasp, it's well and truely dead. TPTB are flogging a dead horse now, I'd prefer it is left alone now when it was still a fairly good show.
I'm quite content at the moment watching the second season of V and the reruns of Galactica for now. Though I'm still waiting for Sons of Anarchy season 3 and it's not long until the DVD boxset is released!
+Quote Post
Happy Hopping
post Apr 1st 2011, 3:29 PM
Post #14

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,501

what date is the final 10 episodes begins to air? March ??

and what's the name of the first episode air in March?

This post has been edited by Happy Hopping: Apr 1st 2011, 3:35 PM
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Apr 1st 2011, 6:45 PM
Post #15

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Happy Hopping @ Apr 1st 2011, 1:29 PM) *

what date is the final 10 episodes begins to air? March ??

and what's the name of the first episode air in March?

Deliverance, and it aired March 7th.
+Quote Post
Mac.Fan
post Aug 15th 2011, 3:56 AM
Post #16

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,500

What shocking is that how the actors found out about the show being canceled... they founds out through thier fans in twitter and facebook whom they found out from sci fi web site. You can blame MGM for the canceltaion of the show. they said it a money thing which is crap. they just paid out over $70million dollars for the next james bond film and $80 million for some other film. If they can aford that then they can aford not only third seaon of SGu but plus two stargate moives.[size=3]
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 16th 2014 - 6:11 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.