post Nov 3rd 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 2, Episode 8 - Malice
Air Date: (US) November 16, 2010

Simeon makes his escape from Destiny, sending Nicholas Rush on a vengeful mission. But Young and Greer attempt to retrieve Simeon unharmed.

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Nov 17th 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #2

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,463

Ok. I liked this episode. Not for the "SciFi-ness" of it, but for the characters they touched upon.

Rush finally got his hands dirty. You just weren't quite sure if he could do it on such a personal level, but in the end, he sure did.

Ely's definitely turning into a different person than he was at the start of the show. He's becoming more like Rush than anyone wants to admit right now. He's got no time for dilly-dallying with "dumb old Chloe" when there's a problem needs solving. Unfortunately, with Chloe's newfound genius, I'm concerned that they will find a reason to do away with Ely's character.

I was definitely sorry to learn that Gin and Dr. Perry were both dead. But I'm sure we're going to get some sort of time-traveling in and we'll see them again... maybe...
+Quote Post
Reignfire
post Nov 18th 2010, 12:39 AM
Post #3

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,640

Good episode, but one thing bugged me. When Scott caught up with Rush on the planet and it was clear he was too angry to follow orders, he should have been sent right back to the ship. I had to laugh at Eli's "There's nothing you can say to stop me" line, like that had any chance of working.

QUOTE(Shylodog @ Nov 17th 2010, 10:10 AM) *

Ely's definitely turning into a different person than he was at the start of the show. He's becoming more like Rush than anyone wants to admit right now. He's got no time for dilly-dallying with "dumb old Chloe" when there's a problem needs solving. Unfortunately, with Chloe's newfound genius, I'm concerned that they will find a reason to do away with Ely's character.

I don't see this as any permanent change, it's just how he's dealing with Gin's death.

I was definitely sorry to learn that Gin and Dr. Perry were both dead. But I'm sure we're going to get some sort of time-traveling in and we'll see them again... maybe...

This actually leaves an opportunity for a bonding moment between Eli and Rush, just not the loss, but that Rush killed the guy.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 19th 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #4

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

I enjoyed this episode a ton. I was surprised at Ely's reaction, but at the same time I wasn't. I expected him to be angry. How many times is an alien chick going to come on the ship and be hotter than anyone else there, and totally be into you?

I was glad that Rush got his revenge too, but it seemed like he was willing to go too far to get it.

EDIT: BTW, did anyone notice how nice the gate platform was? Who is building those?

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Nov 19th 2010, 11:59 PM
+Quote Post
TheCordler
post Nov 23rd 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #5

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,086

honestly i've never been too keen on Eli, and this episode futher cements my feelings on him. Sure he is smart, and useful, but his judgement is at times is soooo selfish it pains me that the crew parades him as a pariah at times.

for example, was it really needed to tell Young that rush lied about the possibilty of finding a Icarus planet when the crew for once since boarding destiny had hope.

Then to go against that same mentality and not reveal Young's abandoning rush on the planet, when honestly outside of mathmatics Eli is no where as round about as Dr. Rush.

This episode further cements to me that Rush is truly evolving through his experiences, getting his hands dirty and plain and coldly murding a man. Also that he is at his emotional limit, his hard logical wall of by the numbers is no longer able to hold his own emotions at bay anymore... can this break bring about a better rush or make an een greater monster within him.

As always i love Greer's character cause you know where you stand with him, he doesn't hide or keep secrets, he is literally raw and forthcoming and that sure people can sometimes surprise you with 1 ethical act but that it deosn't change who they still are, and that Rush hasn't done enough to be forgiven.

I originally hated Lt. Scotts character, but now as of the last 4 episodes i hope they continue his evolution into a noble Daniel jackson esque component and one who works to unite the crew, while it's obvious he would be a poor commander of the Destiny crew as a whole, not because of his inexperience but his inability to make those morale gray hard decisions that is in honesty at times required, He however can be the lynch pin, the man who keeps the crew straight and reminding them that they can't abandon their humanity and ther capacity for doing the right thing.

I hate chloe's character and this episode further makes me upset and the obvious MCguffin she has become, i mean the TPTB truly have no idea what to do with her... They wanted to make her the daniel jackson, the i read language person and study culture, but then it became apparent that SGU is not a visit alien culture ever week show and so they decided to go another direction. Now its the Lt Aiden ford syndrom, she's been enhanced and if she ever gets control of her aliend super smarts make rush/eli/volker/brody pointless.

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 19th 2010, 11:58 PM) *

I enjoyed this episode a ton. I was surprised at Ely's reaction, but at the same time I wasn't. I expected him to be angry. How many times is an alien chick going to come on the ship and be hotter than anyone else there, and totally be into you?

I was glad that Rush got his revenge too, but it seemed like he was willing to go too far to get it.

EDIT: BTW, did anyone notice how nice the gate platform was? Who is building those?

I figure the gate drop ships build the platform as well and use BEAMING tech akin to ring tech to drop the entire gate set up, platform and all.

i think the better question is.... where are the DHD's whats the point of dropping a gate but having no way to use them unless you came from destiny!!! wasn't the point of stargate tech to unite races, i mean the status quo in at least 2 galaxies is DHD.

This post has been edited by TheCordler: Nov 23rd 2010, 10:58 AM
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Nov 23rd 2010, 11:18 AM
Post #6

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCordler @ Nov 23rd 2010, 7:58 AM) *

honestly i've never been too keen on Eli, and this episode futher cements my feelings on him. Sure he is smart, and useful, but his judgement is at times is soooo selfish it pains me that the crew parades him as a pariah at times.

for example, was it really needed to tell Young that rush lied about the possibilty of finding a Icarus planet when the crew for once since boarding destiny had hope.

Then to go against that same mentality and not reveal Young's abandoning rush on the planet, when honestly outside of mathmatics Eli is no where as round about as Dr. Rush.

Good points against Eli, but at the same time, I think I can relate MORE to his character than some of the others. For some time as of late, I was a full-time gamer (ok, I had a real full time job, but outside work gaming was my life), and I can kind of relate to how Eli acts most of the time. I think they are having a somewhat hard time fleshing out Eli's character sometimes, and as of yet I don't know why. But all in all, I do like his character the most.

This episode further cements to me that Rush is truly evolving through his experiences, getting his hands dirty and plain and coldly murding a man. Also that he is at his emotional limit, his hard logical wall of by the numbers is no longer able to hold his own emotions at bay anymore... can this break bring about a better rush or make an een greater monster within him.

I predict that Rush will ultimately be the big bad guy of the series. I could be wrong, but I just don't see his actions taking him any other way. But we shall see.

As always i love Greer's character cause you know where you stand with him, he doesn't hide or keep secrets, he is literally raw and forthcoming and that sure people can sometimes surprise you with 1 ethical act but that it deosn't change who they still are, and that Rush hasn't done enough to be forgiven.

Back in the day, I WAS Greer. Ok, not living on a spaceship in another galaxy, but a dedicated, hard-charging Marine. This is the other character that I can relate to the most, and have the most fun watching.

I originally hated Lt. Scotts character, but now as of the last 4 episodes i hope they continue his evolution into a noble Daniel jackson esque component and one who works to unite the crew, while it's obvious he would be a poor commander of the Destiny crew as a whole, not because of his inexperience but his inability to make those morale gray hard decisions that is in honesty at times required, He however can be the lynch pin, the man who keeps the crew straight and reminding them that they can't abandon their humanity and ther capacity for doing the right thing.

I hate chloe's character and this episode further makes me upset and the obvious MCguffin she has become, i mean the TPTB truly have no idea what to do with her... They wanted to make her the daniel jackson, the i read language person and study culture, but then it became apparent that SGU is not a visit alien culture ever week show and so they decided to go another direction. Now its the Lt Aiden ford syndrom, she's been enhanced and if she ever gets control of her aliend super smarts make rush/eli/volker/brody pointless.

I can't stand either of these characters (at least at this time). I strongly dislike their relationship. I also sometimes get the feeling that TPTB introduced a deus ex machina by giving Chloe this super ability. Her little infection has gotten them out of how many problems so far?

I figure the gate drop ships build the platform as well and use BEAMING tech akin to ring tech to drop the entire gate set up, platform and all.

i think the better question is.... where are the DHD's whats the point of dropping a gate but having no way to use them unless you came from destiny!!! wasn't the point of stargate tech to unite races, i mean the status quo in at least 2 galaxies is DHD.

I would argue that the purpose of gate travel is not to unite races, but simply a means to reach a destination without dealing with continual atmospheric reentry. These gates anyway. I don't believe the Ancients ever intended for anyone BUT them to use these gates, and it wasn't until they started tripping over other species in the Milky Way that they upgraded to the gates we know w/DHD. That's just my opinion though.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 23rd 2010, 5:49 PM
Post #7

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Shylodog @ Nov 23rd 2010, 8:18 AM) *

I would argue that the purpose of gate travel is not to unite races, but simply a means to reach a destination without dealing with continual atmospheric reentry. These gates anyway. I don't believe the Ancients ever intended for anyone BUT them to use these gates, and it wasn't until they started tripping over other species in the Milky Way that they upgraded to the gates we know w/DHD. That's just my opinion though.

I always thought that the gate process was like this. They would seed a galaxy first and if then they would pick the planets from there. Since they had the remotes, and there wasn't any life on the vast majority of those planets yet, there really isn't a need for a DHD>
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Nov 23rd 2010, 6:01 PM
Post #8

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 23rd 2010, 2:49 PM) *

I always thought that the gate process was like this. They would seed a galaxy first and if then they would pick the planets from there. Since they had the remotes, and there wasn't any life on the vast majority of those planets yet, there really isn't a need for a DHD>

agreed. I always figured it went something like:

Ancient #1: Hey! Since we're finding out the secrets of the Universe, why not send out some ships to create those gate-things Ancient #253 came up with? That way, if we ever make it out that far, we already have a way to get there without growing old in our sleepy-pod-things!

Ancient #2: That's a pretty good idea! But wait! What about the Pra-Cla Pads? Those take a LOT of resources to build, and well, I don't think we got enough mini-energy crystals to go on forever...

Ancient #1: Oh! Yeah... Well... Janos told me in the future they have these things called "Energizer Bunnies" or whatever... We could just put something like that in the base of the gates, just in case they are ever needed to be used... That way we don't need to power the Touchy-Pads themselves...

Ancient #2: Nope won't work. The Pra-Cla Pads are patented and we can't change the design, unless it's for use in a command center. Unless you want Ancient #253 to sue our butts off, we need something different.

Ancient #3: I got it! We can download an app from the Apple Store and just carry around our iPads with us every time we go through the gates. You never have to worry about the gate code changing because there won't be any updates to the apps for like over a million years!

Ancient #4: Sounds like a plan! So Say We All!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 17th 2014 - 9:59 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.