Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Universe: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate Universe only. Universe spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate SG-1 Discussion and Stargate Atlantis Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

Universe Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stargate Universe Renewed?
Shylodog
post Dec 17th 2009, 5:52 PM
Post #1

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,463

Just saw this on a Firefly Fan website:

Link to Story

Posted by: RAD on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 10:46 AM

SPACE, Canada’s national science fiction, speculation, and fantasy channel, announced today the exclusive Canadian acquisition of the second season of STARGATE UNIVERSE (SGU). Twenty, all-new, hour-long episodes of SGU are scheduled to premiere in Fall 2010. Following its television broadcast, each 60-minute episode of SGU is available on demand at http://www.spacecast.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Premiering October 2009 with a total Reach of 2.3 million total viewers and a record- breaking average minute audience of 624,000*, SGU became a ratings juggernaut for SPACE. Topping the specialty television ratings charts this broadcast year, SGU is among the top specialty programs (non-sports) among all persons 2+ and in the key A25-54 and A18-49 demos. ** Viewers can catch all 10 episodes of SGU Season 1 from the beginning in an exclusive marathon beginning at 9 a.m. ET on Sunday, January 1, only on SPACE, Canada’s destination for all things sci-fi.

Shot in Vancouver, SGU is the latest series in a franchise that has captured the attention of a worldwide audience. Starring Robert Carlyle and Canadian Louis Ferreira, SGU is written and executive produced by Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper (STARGATE SG-1 and STARGATE ATLANTIS).

*Source: BBM Canada, Oct. 2-3, 2009. Audiences prior to Aug 31, 2009 based on BBM-NMR Mark II meters
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Arcady
post Dec 18th 2009, 9:42 PM
Post #2

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

What a waste of tape.
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Dec 19th 2009, 1:40 AM
Post #3

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Arcady @ Dec 18th 2009, 6:42 PM) *

What a waste of tape.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, Arc. I mean, I get that you don't like the new series, but are you saying you actually TAPED SG:U, or that the filming of the show was a waste? biggrin.gif

I'm really sorry you're not enjoying the new show though. I love it myself. Quite frankly there were certain episodes of SG-1 and Atlantis that folks loved and I just outright hated because of the humor factor (Ergo, for exazmple). SG:U is exactly the type of show that I love, with the extra care given to character development than the other shows, as well as the darker feeling. Not everyone's cup of tea, but certainly mine! laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Arcady
post Dec 20th 2009, 7:14 PM
Post #4

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I meant the tape that is connected to the HD cameras that they use to make the show. I record it on a TiVo.

I'm happy you enjoy the show. But it isn't Stargate. It is a bunch of guys on a ship that don't trust each other and have no plan. And the cameraman has a bunch of seizures while holding the camera. I had enough of this crap when it was called BSG.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Dec 21st 2009, 9:41 AM
Post #5

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,819

Well yeah, this was confirmed a couple of weeks ago. But I like the excitement everyone had by making sure they posted it here straight away whistling.gif

Apparently an Alien race is being introduced at some point though, Rob Cooper said they would be more along the lines of the District 9 aliens then normal Stargate aliens. But anyway, see how that goes. It also wasn't made clear exactly how many episodes that will last for.

But remember the last episode of BSG? When it would cut to random stories of the characters lives before the events of the pilot started? They were quite good, as they were little snippits of what these characters lives were like. Well, that kinda worked, as they were snippits. This is a show of that, which is never a good idea. Showing the small character interactions and mundane interactions work when the characters and relationships have been set up as a strong element. If you show people running around a ship without giving us reason to really care about them or their relationships, then it will fall flat.

The show needs:
Make us care about the characters.
Set up an arc, it can be a character arc such as the ship dividing into two parties which eventually come to a massive head, turning into two factions maybe having a similar relationship as the show Lost's characters do to the 'others'.
Less Earth stuff, make us like these characters here before showing them interacting with people who are largely now irrelevant in their current lives.
More aliens, please....
More Stargate usage, Time and Air pt 3 were quite good as they used the 'gate.
Show more of the characters who's stories matter, don't focus on Chloe who has no real power or reason comparred to characters like Camile Wray who have power and are looking to maintain it. Chloe has no reason for being a character there, other then to set up a directionless love-lorn from Eli to her.

Hopefully season 2/back half of season 1 will do this more. But I do say having seen the first half of season 1, I would have preferred if they'd kept Atlantis going...even with it's flaws.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Dec 22nd 2009, 1:35 PM
Post #6

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(Arcady @ Dec 20th 2009, 7:14 PM) *

I meant the tape that is connected to the HD cameras that they use to make the show. I record it on a TiVo.

I'm happy you enjoy the show. But it isn't Stargate. It is a bunch of guys on a ship that don't trust each other and have no plan. And the cameraman has a bunch of seizures while holding the camera. I had enough of this crap when it was called BSG.

ITA with you Arc. In fact, I stated that sometimes the shooting is very Blair Witch Project, which I hated. As far as the story goes, you can add that, "lets see how many people we can boink, how often and how many places, and they all are meaningless." whistling.gif For some reason TPTB seem to think this is what makes it more adult, darker and meaningful, NOT! I also said it should not be Stargate: Universe, because it isn't anything to do with the stargate. If they want it called Stargate because of the franchise, then it should be Stargate: Earth (due to the communication stones), or Stargate:Destiny, because that is all they do.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Dec 22nd 2009, 8:14 PM
Post #7

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Dec 22nd 2009, 10:35 AM) *

ITA with you Arc. In fact, I stated that sometimes the shooting is very Blair Witch Project, which I hated. As far as the story goes, you can add that, "lets see how many people we can boink, how often and how many places, and they all are meaningless." whistling.gif For some reason TPTB seem to think this is what makes it more adult, darker and meaningful, NOT! I also said it should not be Stargate: Universe, because it isn't anything to do with the stargate. If they want it called Stargate because of the franchise, then it should be Stargate: Earth (due to the communication stones), or Stargate:Destiny, because that is all they do.

While I totally agree with everything you said, I can't believe I didn't get a nod tongue.gif
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Dec 22nd 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #8

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Dec 22nd 2009, 8:14 PM) *

While I totally agree with everything you said, I can't believe I didn't get a nod tongue.gif

A nod bor JTM. bow.gif
+Quote Post
Hazaa3000
post Jan 31st 2010, 2:21 PM
Post #9

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,412

I think I actually would prefer to watch Wormhole X-treme than watch another episode of SGU.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jan 31st 2010, 5:11 PM
Post #10

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Hazaa3000 @ Jan 31st 2010, 2:21 PM) *

I think I actually would prefer to watch Wormhole X-treme than watch another episode of SGU.

Actually Wormhole X-treme was very funny because they were poking fun at themselves, just as they did with 200. I happen to like both episodes for that reason. smile.gif
+Quote Post
d1craig
post Feb 20th 2010, 1:36 PM
Post #11

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,236

with a 3 month wait ( as it stands so far) i dont even look it up on my planner to see if its on anymore, nothing interesting happened apart from the ship and carlisle getting stuck on the planet with it.

i remember when everyone was made up for this programme because it has the writers/producers (or whatever they where) that everyone liked and thought could make god stories.

tbh they shud film it in normal Def save money and stick that money into atlantis again.
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Feb 20th 2010, 5:30 PM
Post #12

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Thought I'd share this...

http://crackle.com/c/Jace_Hall/Stargate_Be...endorn/2453909/
or for those who can't see it, here's the You Tube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRRaBefuSmQ

And this promo with Chris Judge was freaking funny...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vFSvr1dBoI
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 20th 2010, 5:44 PM
Post #13

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(Shylodog @ Feb 20th 2010, 5:30 PM) *

Thought I'd share this...

http://crackle.com/c/Jace_Hall/Stargate_Be...endorn/2453909/
or for those who can't see it, here's the You Tube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRRaBefuSmQ

And this promo with Chris Judge was freaking funny...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vFSvr1dBoI

Gary Graham is great. Love the smoking jacket! I am unable to smoke, but would love to have a smoking jacket anyways! huh.gif

"He promised me you baby"
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Feb 20th 2010, 6:19 PM
Post #14

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 20th 2010, 2:44 PM) *

Gary Graham is great. Love the smoking jacket! I am unable to smoke, but would love to have a smoking jacket anyways! huh.gif

"He promised me you baby"

Funny story about my viewing the Jace Hall show...

I was on a Firfly fans website when I came across a link where Felicia Day is in a lightsaber duel. While watching it, I realized I knew the guy she was deuling from somewhere, but I just couldn't place it.

Well, after watching a few episodes, and then Googling "Jace Hall" I realized his name was actually Jason Hall. I went to USMC boot camp with him. He was my closest friend for those long 3 months. Heh heh.

I would never have reconnected with him if it wasn't for my love of SciFi and the 6 degrees of separation from Firefly.
+Quote Post
kiskbrusiah
post Jan 22nd 2011, 9:25 AM
Post #15

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 63,851

No negative reason for no comments, still good stuff. Theyre grounding it a bit more in the stargate franchises universe, which is a little disappointing I guess, but Im still greatly entertained.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 29th 2014 - 11:58 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.