post Oct 5th 2009, 9:04 AM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 1, Episode 3 - Air (Part Three)
Air Date: (US) October 9, 2009

Lt. Scott leads a team to a desert planet to locate a mineral capable of fixing Destiny's life support system. Chloe visits her mother on Earth.
(Part 3 of 3.)

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Oct 10th 2009, 4:40 PM
Post #2

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

First off this was a much better epiode then the first two. That being said, they apparently are going to be using the communication stones to be able to talk with Earth, get info back and forth, etc. Having been a fan of SG1 and SGA I know how the stones are supposed to work. Since they are trying to interest new viewers, I felt that the stones were not explained as well as they could have been. My husband remembered the stones, but he was lost for a moment until I explained them. I like that they are going to be using the stones in order to keep certain people around, LDP, maybe have MS, AT or RDA back in a bigger capacity or new people, rather than the back and forth. One thing they didn't clear up whether or not Jack had put Rush in charge of the expedition. If he did, then they definitely changed the character of O'Neill.

My one question about the stones, I thought that you had to be in close proximity to the person you are connected with, or the stone, yet they are galaxies away. Unless I'm remembering them incorrectly. unsure.gif

Man Dr. Rush was such a wuss in this one, LOL! I loved that both Greer and Scott wouldn't take anything from him.

So not only are the people inexperienced, have no knowledge but apparently Scott was going to be a priest? How does someone planning on that, join the military, becomes trained by SGC and then goes off-world?

I'm assuming that the wind, whatever it was could read what Scott was looking for and helped him find it. I wonder if that is a "being" that they will encounter again. Also, there appeared to be some kind of ancient technology apparatus that took off from the ship at the end. I wonder if that is something that the ship sends out in advance of where they will be going. I guess those two people that went through the gate to a different address are lost. They couldn't search for them because they had left the gate open, with Eli's help, in order to get Greer and Scott back. Then the ship did its automatic jump forward.

The third episode was good enough to keep me watching for awhile longer. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Lt. Michael
post Oct 11th 2009, 2:26 AM
Post #3

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,527

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Oct 10th 2009, 11:40 PM) *

My one question about the stones, I thought that you had to be in close proximity to the person you are connected with, or the stone, yet they are galaxies away. Unless I'm remembering them incorrectly. unsure.gif

In one of the first episodes about the Ori we saw MS's and CB's consciousness being transferd all the way to the Ori home Galaxy so I think it's safe to asume that they work over very long distancies.

Right about Rush being a wuss in this one. Big change in character. I prerfered the "old" Rush.

Going to be interesting to see if we get more info about that small ship that left the Destiny right at the end of the ep.
+Quote Post
Reignfire
post Oct 11th 2009, 2:52 AM
Post #4

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,640

They might not have explained the stones in detail because they were worried about having to explain too much: Ancients, Alterans, Ori, etc... I didn't consider the stones as a good way for anyone to be on the show until you said something, but I'm thinking we won't see RDA too often. Sure he was in this episode too, but since it's still considered part of the premiere, I'm still counting it as a cameo. I thought LDP's character was an ***. It's not just that he didn't care about the person's body he was in, but tries to take charge as soon as he's there without really knowing anything.

The way that search was handled was horrible. You send only seven people to search a huge desert for a certain mineral on a time limit? Why not send more people once the team was sent through and reported back?

I was surprised how nothing came about from those two that went to a different planet. There was time for a Kino (or whatever) to be sent through even if it was to find them dead.

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Oct 10th 2009, 4:40 PM) *

I don't think the stones themselves work long range, but they can when plugged into the larger device. That's how Daniel and Vala swapped with the people in the Ori galaxy.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Oct 11th 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #5

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lt. Michael @ Oct 11th 2009, 2:26 AM) *

In one of the first episodes about the Ori we saw MS's and CB's consciousness being transferd all the way to the Ori home Galaxy so I think it's safe to asume that they work over very long distancies.

Right about Rush being a wuss in this one. Big change in character. I prerfered the "old" Rush.

QUOTE(Reignfire @ Oct 11th 2009, 2:52 AM) *

I don't think the stones themselves work long range, but they can when plugged into the larger device. That's how Daniel and Vala swapped with the people in the Ori galaxy.

Thanks guys. I think I got the stones mixed up with those darn Goa'uld bracelets tha Vala and Daniel were wearing. I remember as soon as Vala left SGC through the stargate, Daniel passed out.
+Quote Post
Catania
post Oct 12th 2009, 3:56 PM
Post #6

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,676

You know the stones kind of leave an opportunity for the writers to possibly introduce samantha or mckay in future eps, maybe who knows they could even repair some of the ship whilst in sum one elses body.

So they needed lime or soemthing to use as a filter for the life support systems?
+Quote Post
Reignfire
post Oct 12th 2009, 7:32 PM
Post #7

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,640

QUOTE(Catania @ Oct 12th 2009, 3:56 PM) *

So they needed lime or soemthing to use as a filter for the life support systems?

Basically. Although I still don't get why they only sent a hand full of people to search the whole planet.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Oct 13th 2009, 1:34 AM
Post #8

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Reignfire @ Oct 12th 2009, 7:32 PM) *

Basically. Although I still don't get why they only sent a hand full of people to search the whole planet.

They couldn't take a chance that they wouldn't return. They needed whoever they could, just in case. What I thought was weird, you sent the so-called lead person, Rush and then the geek that solved the math problem together. Who do you have left to help solve problems? blink.gif
+Quote Post
Catania
post Oct 13th 2009, 9:13 AM
Post #9

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,676

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Oct 13th 2009, 1:34 AM) *

They couldn't take a chance that they wouldn't return. They needed whoever they could, just in case. What I thought was weird, you sent the so-called lead person, Rush and then the geek that solved the math problem together. Who do you have left to help solve problems? blink.gif

A bunch of 20 year old's w00t.gif bow.gif
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Oct 13th 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #10

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Catania @ Oct 13th 2009, 9:13 AM) *

A bunch of 20 year old's w00t.gif bow.gif

I agree. All are so young. I see so many problems that can occur, with no solutions. dry.gif
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Oct 13th 2009, 1:05 PM
Post #11

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,463

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Oct 13th 2009, 10:18 AM) *

I agree. All are so young. I see so many problems that can occur, with no solutions. dry.gif

Well, at least so far in this series we haven't seen anything remotely close to a scene like a teenage Teal'c rappin on the cell phone with D-Dog complaining that he couldn't "hit dat".

Yet. whistling.gif
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Oct 13th 2009, 6:47 PM
Post #12

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Shylodog @ Oct 13th 2009, 1:05 PM) *

Well, at least so far in this series we haven't seen anything remotely close to a scene like a teenage Teal'c rappin on the cell phone with D-Dog complaining that he couldn't "hit dat".
Yet. whistling.gif

I agree. That was sooooo bad. I hated that episode. Confuzzled.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 15th 2009, 12:39 PM
Post #13

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Oct 12th 2009, 11:34 PM) *

It's like startrek. They always sent their best on away missions when they even brought up that it was against protocol...

The main characters just happen to be the best personell, so they have to go.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Oct 15th 2009, 6:40 PM
Post #14

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 15th 2009, 12:39 PM) *

It's like startrek. They always sent their best on away missions when they even brought up that it was against protocol...

The main characters just happen to be the best personell, so they have to go.

I understand, but in realithy, Eli should not have gone because he has absolutely no experience whatsoever regarding anything. That was a huge flub, IMO. blink.gif
+Quote Post
RJLCyberPunk
post Oct 17th 2009, 1:14 PM
Post #15

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,415

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Oct 15th 2009, 7:40 PM) *

I understand, but in realithy, Eli should not have gone because he has absolutely no experience whatsoever regarding anything. That was a huge flub, IMO. blink.gif

What Eli lacks in experience he more than makes up with his sharp mind Dr Jackson did the same until he got the experience to be just another kick ass SGC team member.

+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 19th 2009, 4:13 AM
Post #16

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

I rather liked this episode, especially the mysterious sentient entity and the mysterious bug ship that seemed to have latched itself onto the hull of the Destiny.

So no DHDs I guess... they have to use their orb probe control devices to dial the ship... That's fun.

Did those guys that went to the other planet get rescued?

We have a pretty good start to this series so far. smile.gif
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Oct 19th 2009, 7:43 PM
Post #17

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Oct 19th 2009, 4:13 AM) *

Did those guys that went to the other planet get rescued?

If they did, they didn't show it. They went through to a totally different gate address. Once it was dialed with Eli, they didn't show them redialing and they had a scheduled jump to make. That is why Eli stuck his arm through the wormhole, to hold that up. As soon as they came through, the ship jumped. So I believe those two are toast. wink.gif
+Quote Post
jacksworld
post Oct 24th 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #18

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,030

When i seen the entity, the first thing i thought was that it was an ancient but not in its physical form. Then i thought how it would be an ancient? I guess it is possible that the ancient could have slipped in with them from the first episode. It realized what they were doing and wanted to go with them to see there progress with the ship. After all, the ancients never did return to the project.
+Quote Post
replicant
post Oct 26th 2009, 6:10 AM
Post #19

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,783

its clearly a ship that takes off at the end. my initial thoughts are that its was some kind of automated recon vehicle. SGU is definitely keeping my interest.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 26th 2014 - 3:37 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.