Shylodog
post Nov 10th 2009, 3:23 AM
Post #25

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,463

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 9th 2009, 7:44 PM) *

There is a reason why things look different in different places, it gives us an idea of that tech's dispensation. It would have been cheaper to just use the old props but, gates and Rings look differently in the Ori Galaxy than they do in the MW, which look different in Pegasus. So when we see a white set of rings, we know they are from the Ori Galaxy, versus the traditional set that we see throughout SG1.

Cheaper, yes. But TPTB know you have to spend money to make money. They know you need to introduce something different, or else people get bored quickly and start screaming "REHASH!" or "How lame they couldn't afford new props for the new show..." etc.

The stargate works in the same manner technologically, but the gates and DHDs are set for different networks. It's like a cell phone and a SIM card. The phone being the gate, and the SIM card being the DHD. If you have an iphone, you know it works on the Global System for Mobile communications (GSM) cell technology. In the US, the primary two companies using this tech are Tmobile and AT&T. So you have an iphone that works just fine with AT&T, but you decide you want to switch to Tmobile. You can't just take your cell to Tmobile territory and smart making calls. You have to get a SIM card from Tmobile which sets your phone up for use on their network.

I would say in your cell phone analogy that the phones would be the gates and the cell network symbolizes the gate network. The SIM card would be more like the control crystals in the DHD/gates. The DHD is simply the number pad on your phone. Now imagine that there is no Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, but all phones are created by Ancients, Inc. However, you need to make the phones work in the U.S., Europe, China, etc. Each geographic location has it's different standards that have to be met to make them work.

Now imagine that when traveling bewtween the U.S. and China, your phone automatically updates with the appropriate date/time zone you are in. That, I think, is a closer analogy.

So, if you take a gate from the Pegasus Network, to the MW, you have to set it up to work in the MW network. Also, when they moved Atlantis to another another planet, it was specifically stated that the gate had to be recalibrated to work in it's new location, I don't remember them saying that it happened automatically. If thats true for a new location in the same galaxy, of course it's true for a location is a different galaxy. This update probably happens automatically via the DHD, but it happens none the less.

The reason that the DHD wouldn't just work in network is because each symbol points a specific area in the galaxy, most likely an individual solar system, since we haven't ever seen more than 1 gate in a single system. We know that a DHD can work with in a new location within it's own galaxy with no trouble. But when I start dialing an address, A-B,C-D,E-F from G. A is different in MW than it is in MW. The correlative update that you speak of is in relation to DHDs in the same network. But if the DHD is looking for a different set of DHDs to get updates from, it doesn't really matter, as explained above.

You have officially hurt my brain, JT. I'll just agree to disagree. Simply because it's late and I'm feeding my son now. (Lame I know, I just don't have the fight in me, and I only own the last season of SG:A to draw from). 1.gif

It's never actually said, that Altantis leaves from the Outpost in Antartica. We all just assume it, there is no actual on screen clarification. There are some questions asked in the Where Was Atlantis Built thread. Some of the major ones being, the chair in the outpost and in the city, the drones near the outpost and in the city, the gate near the outpost and in the city, the rings in the outpost...

In the opening of the first episode of SG: Atlantis, you see the jumper flying over an ice flow and arriving at Atlantis before it takes off. As it is getting ready to leave, you see a couple of the Ancients interacting, and a female stays behind. If you are a fan of SG-1, you cannot help but make the connection that she is the Ancient that eventually infects SG-1. That's the whole reason she's even there in the opening.

The DHDs in the MW look like this
» Click to Show Spoiler «

DHDs in Atlantis and the jumpers look like this
» Click to Show Spoiler «

The controls in the jumpers and Atlantis look different for dramatic effect. I submit that the they are not truely DHD's, but remote controls. The DHDs on every planet (in Pegasus) where the gate is actually ON the surface look identical to the MW's DHD's (except for the icons and the activator button in the middle). And we know that all jumper's remote dialers look identical no matter what galaxy they are in.

Now to tie this discussion back into the the story. Did they bother to look for the DHD when they were checking the planet out? Since there there wasn't one, how did they know to take the portable Dialing computers with them.

I'm thinking it's one of those things we're just supposed to accept that Rush checked on prior to taking himself to the first planet they visited. It would have just been waisted footage to go through. They did send the Keno, and from there Rush said, "OH hey, the computer says we need to take one of these!" But TPTB didn't want viewers crying foul on how convenient that is that the Keno controllers also are the DHD's.

Also, if they had these dialing computers this far in the past, why didn't they have them in Atlantis. This is part of the problem with continuity in this show. We need to know if the Destiny was sent out before or after Pegasus. I'd be satisfied if they had bult the Destiny and the sister ships, then started building Atlantis, Then the plague hit, and so they left for Pegasus... since it was the first galaxy that the Destiny visited after the MW.

But that's the point. We don't NEED to know how this show compares in relation to the other franchise. It would be convenient, but since they will only use the other franchises in matters of great neccesity, we will likely never know. All we know is that Destiny made it's way through Pegasus on it's way to where we are today. While it's not great continuity for the die-hard fan, it's enough to link us to the other franchises.

I'll give you another example why TPTB can get away with this tactic. In SG-1, Daniel was "laughed out of academia because he postulated that the Great Pyramids were built as landing pads for alien space ships". However in the movie, he never said anything like that. He merely said that the pyramids were older that what was first thought, and he wasn't sure by who. Everyone accepted that kind of continuity error, so since they got away with it before, they've been doing it ever since. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Shylodog: Nov 10th 2009, 3:28 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Nov 10th 2009, 2:57 PM
Post #26

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,463

OK, watched Atlantis's series finale last night while I was feeding my son. McKay, Zelenka and Woosey had the discussion about midway station in this episode. McKay stated that the Pegasus gates always take priority over the MW gates, and that they had to do a workaround for Midway to work.

Later on, McKay had to make an adjustment (took 5 minutes) to the DHD on the Wraith ship so they could dial out and escape. Given the advanced technology that make up the gates and DHD's, I would have to believe that given time, the DHD would have adjusted automatically. I mean since all of the gates were planted and programmed through automation, why wouldn't one think that it wasn't possible? I believe McKay had to make the adjustment manually only due to time constraints.

Also, a slight plot hole was that since there were actually three gates in the same area (SGC's, Wraith Ship's and Atlantis's) McKay was able to dial out without issue. Of course, if the gate on Atlantis was originally a MW gate (albeit different looking) then I guess the Pegasus override would still make sense.

Anywho, just wanted to spread the wealth of knowledge gained last night in my tired stupor. biggrin.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 1st 2014 - 9:15 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.