Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate Atlantis only. Atlantis spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate SG-1 Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stargate Atlantis Movie
StarFighter
post Sep 4th 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #1

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,924

I see that there is a movie being kicked around called Stargate: Extinction. It appears to contain all the Atlantis cast. Anyone have anymore info on this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Sep 5th 2009, 4:31 AM
Post #2

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

There's little news. It apparently is set right after the season 5 finale but as the third SG1 movie is having financial difficulties, I wouldnt hold my breath. MGMs priority at the moment is Universe, so I doubt we'll hear any news until early next year.
+Quote Post
StarFighter
post Sep 6th 2009, 5:52 PM
Post #3

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Sep 5th 2009, 5:31 AM) *

There's little news. It apparently is set right after the season 5 finale but as the third SG1 movie is having financial difficulties, I wouldnt hold my breath. MGMs priority at the moment is Universe, so I doubt we'll hear any news until early next year.

They were going to do a 3rd SG1 movie? Were any plot details released?

This has probably been said but why would they cancel a show and then decide to start doing movies because the demand was high? If the demand was high shouldn't they have just kept the series running?
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Sep 6th 2009, 6:54 PM
Post #4

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(StarFighter @ Sep 6th 2009, 11:52 PM) *

They were going to do a 3rd SG1 movie? Were any plot details released?

This has probably been said but why would they cancel a show and then decide to start doing movies because the demand was high? If the demand was high shouldn't they have just kept the series running?

Sci-fi cancelled it, not MGM. MGM make money from DVD's so want to carry it on. Hense films wink.gif

But no plot details were released no, a script has been completed. But the economic climate isn't right for DVD movies at the moment so they're waiting until it is basically lol. But yeah, as Daf says don't hold your breath, it's not definite.
+Quote Post
StarFighter
post Sep 6th 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #5

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

I'm actually looking more forward to an Atlantis movie than another SG1 movie. I feel things were wrapped up with The Ark of Truth. I'd like to see if they wrap up the Atlantis story.

Mainly:

Will they bring Atlantis back to Pegasus?

Do they finally kill off the wraith?

Those are the two questions I'd like answered.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Sep 7th 2009, 2:33 AM
Post #6

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

As both Daf and IP have said, don't hold your breath. Right now MGM is totally concentrating on SGU. Both movies, SG1 and SGA have been put on hold for now. The 3rd SG1 movie has somewhat of a story, but put on hold. As far as I know nothing has been done with SGA.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Sep 7th 2009, 6:11 AM
Post #7

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Sep 7th 2009, 8:33 AM) *

As both Daf and IP have said, don't hold your breath. Right now MGM is totally concentrating on SGU. Both movies, SG1 and SGA have been put on hold for now. The 3rd SG1 movie has somewhat of a story, but put on hold. As far as I know nothing has been done with SGA.

SG-1 movie and Atlantis movie are at the same point in development. They both have a script (M+M finished an Atlantis script about 6 months ago) but they're both looking for funding at the moment. Which according to Rob Cooper, will be when the economic climate better suits individual straight to DVD releases, which at the moment it doesn't will falling DVD sales across the board.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Sep 7th 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #8

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(StarFighter @ Sep 7th 2009, 5:53 AM) *
I'm actually looking more forward to an Atlantis movie than another SG1 movie. I feel things were wrapped up with The Ark of Truth. I'd like to see if they wrap up the Atlantis story.
Those are my thoughts too. 'The Ark of Truth' ended SG-1 on a pretty good note but I feel 'Continuum' was a bit of a waste. Granted it tied up the Ba'al plot but that was pretty much it.

Mainly:

Will they bring Atlantis back to Pegasus?

Do they finally kill off the wraith?

Those are the two questions I'd like answered.
I'm sure I read that Atlantis would return to Pegasus but I cant remember where so dont quote me. The title hints at the end of a race ('Extinction') but titles have never given all that much away.
The obvious answer would be the Wraith but IMO it's too obvious. There's also the Asgard to consider and the Human population too.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Sep 7th 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #9

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Sep 7th 2009, 6:11 AM) *

SG-1 movie and Atlantis movie are at the same point in development. They both have a script (M+M finished an Atlantis script about 6 months ago) but they're both looking for funding at the moment. Which according to Rob Cooper, will be when the economic climate better suits individual straight to DVD releases, which at the moment it doesn't will falling DVD sales across the board.

With the economic climate right now, I don't see a lot happening with this. I know that they had spoken to RDA about the 3rd SG1. I think with their funds limited they will just concentrate on SGU.

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Sep 7th 2009, 12:08 PM) *

Those are my thoughts too. 'The Ark of Truth' ended SG-1 on a pretty good note but I feel 'Continuum' was a bit of a waste. Granted it tied up the Ba'al plot but that was pretty much it.
I'm sure I read that Atlantis would return to Pegasus but I cant remember where so dont quote me. The title hints at the end of a race ('Extinction') but titles have never given all that much away.
The obvious answer would be the Wraith but IMO it's too obvious. There's also the Asgard to consider and the Human population too.

Tying up the loose ends with the Asgard in the Pegasus Galaxy would be something that I would be interested in. The two episodes with MS and Rodney involving them were two of my favorite SGA episodes. I would like to see more on that since we know what happened to them in our galaxy.
+Quote Post
StarFighter
post Sep 12th 2009, 4:24 AM
Post #10

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Oh and I'd like to also know if the Wraith named Todd was killed or let go.

But back to the financial situation that seems to be stalling the production of the new movies. Shouldn't they start production and filming on the movies now so that they are ready by the time the economy starts to recover? From my understanding they are holding off because they don't think people can afford dvd movies right now. But they won't be ready for release right away anyway. So they should start production.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Sep 12th 2009, 1:29 PM
Post #11

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

It is not just that they don't feel people can purchase the dvds. MGM doesn't have a lot of money right now for promoting anything new. For that reason they are concentrating on SGU since they have already been picked up by syfy to air it. I think it was rather costly to do the two SG1 movies, and I don't know if they were able to recoup that expense from the sales of the dvds. They did get some additional money because they aired them both on the syfy channel, quite a few times.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Oct 1st 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #12

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

i just hope that mgm doesn't make the same mistake with sgu that they made with sg1 and atlantis by giving scifi the sole rights to air all episodes because if scifi cancelled this one then the whole show would go down the toilet. in atlantis it was even more upseting because we only had 5 seasons! if they do give sole rights in a contract then i would say fine but at least have a back out clause in the contract so if scifi doesn't want the show another network can pick it up!

scifi are morons smile.gif
+Quote Post
hawkes
post Dec 24th 2009, 8:00 PM
Post #13

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,104

I know this will probably come across as being a stupid question, but how come the last two Stargate movies were so expensive to make? They didn't seem to be more than 4 episodes of the old series with CGI to match, so where did the money get spent?

If anything i'd expect the Atlantis movie to go the way of the mythical city, it's always seemed SG-1 was the real focus for movies. Which i always found odd, the guys behind the series had already run out of ideas for the series let alone come up with anything interesting for a movie.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Dec 25th 2009, 12:57 AM
Post #14

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(hawkes @ Dec 24th 2009, 5:00 PM) *

I know this will probably come across as being a stupid question, but how come the last two Stargate movies were so expensive to make? They didn't seem to be more than 4 episodes of the old series with CGI to match, so where did the money get spent?

If anything i'd expect the Atlantis movie to go the way of the mythical city, it's always seemed SG-1 was the real focus for movies. Which i always found odd, the guys behind the series had already run out of ideas for the series let alone come up with anything interesting for a movie.

If you watch enough TV and/movies. you can look at 10 minutes of any episode, and 10 minutes of the movie and tell that it cost more to film. A higher quality goes into a movie in a lot of aspects (not necessarily the plot).
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Dec 25th 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #15

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Besides the episodes cost nearly 2 million each, while the film cost approximately 7 million. Each film was essentially the cost of 3-4 episodes for 2 and a bits worth of content. But the films as JT said were filmed in a higher quality. Ark of Truth was one of the only Stargate stories which didn't cut to showing 'points of view' shots of the Replicators every 30 seconds because they couldn't afford to show the special effects.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Dec 25th 2009, 11:12 AM
+Quote Post
hawkes
post Dec 28th 2009, 8:09 PM
Post #16

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,104

Ah see that's what i sometimes forget, that the episodes were already pretty expensive. And thinking about it in Ark of Truth some of those scenes were done on location, i bet they were cheap to go to and film...

+Quote Post
Polaris
post May 4th 2010, 8:57 PM
Post #17

Unregistered

If anyone is still following this thread, it seems that we now know why both movies are on hold and little is being done, even with SGU which IMO is too over-dramatized for casual Stargate fans. MGM recently filed for bankruptcy protection and plans to sell it's assets, which notably include Stargate, James Bond and numerous other TV and movie franchises to the bidder who can secure $2 billion US for it's creditors. We can only hope that whomever takes over Stargate realizes the large fan base and unfinished story lines are not only a source of potential revenue but important to fans the world over.
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post May 5th 2010, 5:25 PM
Post #18

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,724

The Atlantis sets have also been torn down.
+Quote Post
domio
post May 26th 2010, 7:02 AM
Post #19

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 44,422

hi im sorry i no this is in the wrong topics but i cant create my own..
but can someone help me ive tried talkin in the live chat but there is only ever anubis and dutchers.

i jus want to know if any one no's whats going on with the stargate magazine collection???
i started collecting it about 3 years ago up to issue 75 about there but they then started it back from 1 again as it was catching up with episodes on tv which was about year half ago but now i cant seem to find the magazine collection anywhere..

its cost me about £600 so far and i not even got the entire sg1 collection i got 1-9 but no 10
and i got atlantis 1-2 and thats it.

ive tried contacting mgm threw stargate site but the looks older than me lol
and they just not responding at all.
and on the magazine site the issue's only go up to 59.
is there anything i can do as i have half a collection its bad enough that im only gonna get up to season5 atlantis then thats it.
but does anyone no if the magazine coming back out if atlantis movie comes out would it be added will universe be added???

any help would be great thanks
domio
+Quote Post
BigusDickus
post May 26th 2010, 2:36 PM
Post #20

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,661

I had the same magazine collection as you but mine had all 10 seasons of sg1 in it and i got the first 3 seasons of atlantis before i canceled my subscription.

I would check to see if you are still paying for each magazine? I think you have to pay for them by direct debit, so maybe your direct debit got canceled?
+Quote Post
domio
post Jun 2nd 2010, 2:55 PM
Post #21

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 44,422

QUOTE(BigusDickus @ May 26th 2010, 8:36 PM) *

I had the same magazine collection as you but mine had all 10 seasons of sg1 in it and i got the first 3 seasons of atlantis before i canceled my subscription.

I would check to see if you are still paying for each magazine? I think you have to pay for them by direct debit, so maybe your direct debit got canceled?

i thanks for your reply:)

i ordered mine threw whsmiths so i was not direclty going threw mgm or who ever publishs it.
i did try for all the free gifts i think when i was up to about issue 10 but when i tried they told me that the gifts were limited stock and ran out so i just carried on having whsmiths save me a copy every fortnight and paid on collection.

but surely theres got to be something out there some sort of rule legal thing that once they start a collectible collection that they cant really stop it half way threw?????

i did email the site http://www.stargatedvd.co.uk/ but they not bovering but then site does look very old

if any one can help please do
i would be very grateful
+Quote Post
Vill
post Jun 5th 2010, 5:54 PM
Post #22

so long and thx for all the fish...
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,481

You could try contacting the publisher directly, their details are available on that site you linked to:

http://www.stargatedvd.co.uk/contact.htm

There's postal and email addresses and a phone number on that page...

A word of caution however - the "contact us" page on the site does not appear to have been updated since January of 2008 - other pages are even older (2006) - so I've a feeling you might be out of luck as regards completing your collection (sadly there's no legal reason that would compel a publisher to actually complete a collection - for a magazine like that I would think it's a simple case of supply / demand - as long as enough people buy it, they'll keep making them...) - given the age of the site, I would be very cautious about sending them money...

Perhaps if you have your heart set on completing the magazine collection, it might be an idea to start keeping an eye out online on places like ebay, or general comic shops etc - see if you can get second hand copies in good condition...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 20th 2014 - 7:21 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.