Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> About this area

The loitering zone is for discussions about things other than Stargate. Please use the appropriate section when posting, and be sure to read the forum rules.

Loitering Zone Index: Off Topic Chatter | TV, Movies & Music | Computer Talk | Sports Talk | Forum Games

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Important Site Announcement!, Please Read!
Linz
post Aug 9th 2009, 5:23 PM
Post #1

Second in Command
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 587

Hello to all the forum members!

After much debate between Arcady and myself, we have decided that the website is going to have to close soon. After 11 years of providing fans with Stargate information, episode guides, news, and excellent forums with amazing members, it's just become too much of a financial burden to keep online. The hosting fees have become too expensive and without any real coverage from Amazon links and other ads on the website, we just can't afford it any longer.

Also to those who know of StargateCaps.com, the sister site that I run, it will have to be closed as well, this is at least temporarily while we try to find someone who can take it over and give the fans what they need in terms of images from the shows.

With Stargate Universe premiering so soon, it's heartbreaking to say we will probably have to shut down the forums and site before this, but when the real world steps in, it takes precedence over a fansite that has meant a lot to not only Arcady and myself, but also to you, the users and moderators on this forum. But when ad revenue, donations, and traffic in general has fallen in the past year and a half, it seems the best option currently to turn it off.

We want to thank you for all the support over the years, all the fun times we had in the chat rooms, on the forums, and meeting members in person at conventions. As soon as we know more detailed information for when the site will officially be closing down, we will post it in the forums, as well on the front page.

If you have anything important you want to save from either the forums, webmail accounts, etc, you should probably go ahead and do so. If you have any friends who don't read the site regularly, you should probably let them know as well.

If you feel you may be able to help us out in terms of webhosting, financial means, or any other way, please feel free to send either Arcady or myself a private message or email. We are open to other options to keep the site alive.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Janos
post Aug 10th 2009, 1:17 AM
Post #2

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,403

Wow, I just looked at my Join Date, July 4th, 2004. It's been over 5 years since I've joined! I was still out in the field working and this site kept me sane while I was out there by myself for extended lengths of time. It's hard to condense 5 years worth of debates, arguments, flame wars, n00bs, etc into a post.

All I can say is that I've had a great time and met a lot of friends here. I have many of you on MSN Messenger already so it's a good way to keep in touch. With the post count recently and the lack of any new Stargate info for quite some time, I can't say I'm entirely surprised. As much as I like it here, I didn't think Arcady would pay to keep the site running for a few people to meet together to talk.

But even though I knew it was coming, now that it's here, I'm still a little surprised. It's going to be hard to say goodbye to something that's been in my life for so long. But you know what they say about All Good Things... With the current financial situation, I can't say it's a bad choice. I'm sure Arcady and Linz can find much better uses of their money nowadays.

So, it's been wild, it's been fun, it's even been occasionally a little irritating (but when that happened, it's always meant that it's been even more fun for someone else wink.gif ). All in all, it's been a very positive experience and I'll be sad to see the icon disappear from my Bookmarks.

Thanks for keeping The Archives up as long as they were!
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Aug 10th 2009, 2:42 AM
Post #3

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

I first came across this site when I was looking for episode descriptions and titles for past seasons of SG-1. I signed up to the forums about six months after I first found the site but didn't start posting until about six months after that, I wish I had signed up and started posting from the beginning.

It's sad that a lot of the regular members left recently (for their own reasons and the major arguements a certain number of threads caused) and with what looks like a huge number of bots signing up everyday, I can see why Arc and Linz made this decision. I admit my activity has trailed off over the last year, I logged on less but still lurked everyday.

I just want to thank Arc and Linz for the great job they have done with this site and I think that we will all miss it. I think I'll go and find Joel's Middle Earth thread in a bit, the amount of flaming that went on in that thread always made me laugh. Cheers guys.

Dafmeister.
+Quote Post
strg8g33k
post Aug 10th 2009, 3:57 AM
Post #4

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,368

I can't quite believe that this site is closing. I know that I have been here a very short time in comparison to you guys, but I really owe this place a lot. I joined in the midst of one of the hardest times of my life and not a week after I got a PM from Mag inviting me to talk on msn. I accepted, purely for the fun of it, not knowing that I would make some truly amazing friends. It's only been about a year and a half for me, but I feel that from being here I have gained a better sense of maturity and I have learned so much, not only about fandom but about issues in real life I would not have given a second thought to back in my more ignorant days.

There is not much more for me to say, other than to thank every single person here from the bottom of my heart. I know I haven't been here much lately due to there being so much going on in my life outside the wonderland which is the internet, but I must say that this forum has been such a huge part of my life this past year and a half, and I am truly grateful for all of the good memories. smile.gif
+Quote Post
odie_63
post Aug 10th 2009, 8:20 AM
Post #5

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,217

It's sad.
Although I've been off for the last 2 years, I must say I won't forget the site and forums easily.
Back when I got plenty of time at hand, I really had a lot of fun talking about SG, contributing in the Science&Tech section, in the Games section (*remembering Janos' book of riddles*) etc.

I think I'll go and find Joel's Middle Earth thread in a bit, the amount of flaming that went on in that thread always made me laugh.
biggrin.gif I even put the link in my signature.

Thanks a lot.

This post has been edited by odie_63: Aug 10th 2009, 8:22 AM
+Quote Post
NoKreeForMe
post Aug 10th 2009, 11:39 AM
Post #6

The Under 2,000 Club
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,880

It's been real, I haven't been around much in recent past because, welp, I was part of the older group of people and had already sort of moved on.

What's past is past and I really enjoyed this site and the people smile.gif Sad to see it go but every dog has its day.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Aug 10th 2009, 12:24 PM
Post #7

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

Yeah, it will be a shame that it's closing. It's been 5 and a half years since I've joined (blimey) but the last two years have basically just been the regulars, but still that's meant it's been fun talking to a certain few members about certain topics. You'd go into threads to talk about stuff to specific members which was fun, although maybe better with more members tongue.gif

But yeah, I can't blame Arc, when he started the site during season 3-ish I don't think he realised how much of a cash cow Sci-Fi and MGM would treat the show. It is 8 years later now, and people move on, which is fair enough. Most of the people who got into SG-1 early have lost interest in the franchise somewhat. Myself included but that said I still am looking forward to Universe, could have potential. But I know that may just be me. And given Arc has to pay for this site, which is essentially him paying for 10ish people to convene on the internet is fair enough for him to move on. And I knew it would happene eventually. As the site can't just stay open forever.

But yeah, there have been good times and memories, most of them involve flaming somewhere, or the funnier posts/threads of the forums. I think we should link a few of them here as well to give people a chance to read them again before the site closes.

But it has been good, this is the first forum I really got involved in, and the only real one really.... I don't see myself doing the forum thing again really. Unless people here started one or a new one which would be cool. But in terms of other shows ect I just prefer to watch rather then fandom them. So this was cool, and glad I met and spoke to people here. Even met one member (Mad) about 5 months ago, given we lived in the same area.

So, fun times. Might post more later. But was definitely good and I'm thankfull to Arc for starting it and sustaining it as long as he did. Cheers. And will miss the place when it's gone.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Aug 10th 2009, 12:26 PM
+Quote Post
Kaileron
post Aug 10th 2009, 12:39 PM
Post #8

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,284

I miss the old crowd sad.gif Can't we make like a facebookgroup to stay in touch?
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Aug 10th 2009, 4:11 PM
Post #9

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

I read Linz's post yesterday and all I can say is that it made me very sad.

I did make my 5 year anniversary though! I was looking for something, somewhere, anywhere, anyone to talk SG with. I have to admit I lurked for a few months before I bit the bullet joined and began discussing the show. I made a newbie mistake right away, gasp, I asked about the Furlings, LOL! ohmy.gif

I have made many friends here. I have debated with most. Not all of us have the same ideas, and that is what made for good discussions. I enjoyed being able to chat about other shows/Off topics, etc. with everyone. I think I'm one of a handful that has stuck around. I think it is a shame that with SGU beginning, the site will be gone.

I thank Arc and Linz for keeping it running for as long as they have. bow.gif

I hope that I can keep in touch with some of you, somehow, someway. It as been a blast.

Edit: Linz or Arc, thank you for opening this up for our goodbyes.

This post has been edited by IndyJan: Aug 10th 2009, 7:26 PM
+Quote Post
Draconus
post Aug 10th 2009, 6:38 PM
Post #10

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,828

Anubis just gave me the bad news blink.gif

I have made a facebook group as Dutchie suggested. I might no longer be an active member but I am still in touch with some that I met here.

I will invite Dutchie as he is on my friends list but anyone can join

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113298769447
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Aug 11th 2009, 6:27 PM
Post #11

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,724

Sad to see it go. I've been here over 5 years also, hard to believe.

Ladies, GoS and the Slash threads were a blast - Thor in that wedding dress, and Jack being ridden like Sea biscuit, good times. laugh.gif

I think I have the majority of the regulars here either on msn or LJ so we won't lose touch.

And on that note...

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Child of the gods
post Aug 11th 2009, 7:49 PM
Post #12

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,515

Im another one of those who used to frequent many times a day but kinda fell out of the habit.

Will indeed be a sad thing to lose the archives sad.gif

I'd just like to thank Arcady, Linz, and all the various mods/admins/ops and so on over the years for providing such a fantastic website and place to meet fellow gaters (and slashers ;) ) lol.
In all seriousness though, thanks smile.gif
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Aug 11th 2009, 9:04 PM
Post #13

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(Magnavox @ Aug 11th 2009, 6:27 PM) *

Sad to see it go. I've been here over 5 years also, hard to believe.

Ladies, GoS and the Slash threads were a blast - Thor in that wedding dress, and Jack being ridden like Sea biscuit, good times. laugh.gif

I think I have the majority of the regulars here either on msn or LJ so we won't lose touch.

And on that note...

IPB Image

You are so bad, but I love it. bow.gif
+Quote Post
NoKreeForMe
post Aug 12th 2009, 5:36 PM
Post #14

The Under 2,000 Club
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,880

I still haven't gotten over my fetish for Asgard ass btw.
+Quote Post
Janos
post Aug 12th 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #15

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,403

QUOTE(Magnavox @ Aug 11th 2009, 5:27 PM) *

IPB Image

Ahhhh..... Deus Wrath's gifs. Those are definitely worth saving. Does anyone still have a link to that topic? biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Chakster
post Aug 15th 2009, 5:06 PM
Post #16

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,983

im with D on this one, a facebook group,

and the really sad part, Alexis Bledel never found this forum and I never got a PM from her

a toast for us, before new people showed up
+Quote Post
SG_Dingo
post Aug 16th 2009, 5:30 AM
Post #17

Brain Dead... Leave a message
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,295

I'll toast to that Chaks.

Heh I remember joining way back just, and I mean Just, before the great crash of '03. Technically I signed up twice.

But this site has provided so many great times and so many great people (some of whom I've gotten to meet! *waves* and some I hope still to meet).

RL's impacted my life on getting on here somewhat in recent.. well years but this is essentially my one and only forum. Kudos to Arc, Linz and the rest of us for making it so awesome. Now I'm going to troll the photoshop wars thread from way, way, way back because that one is my absolute favourite.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Aug 18th 2009, 8:07 PM
Post #18

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

Kioski

Rei

It has been an honor.

Bloody brilliant site. Met a lot of great people here. I will miss it. crying.gif
+Quote Post
Chakster
post Aug 19th 2009, 6:13 PM
Post #19

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,983

who will take the initiative and create the facebook group we all want?

+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Aug 19th 2009, 6:17 PM
Post #20

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Chakster @ Aug 20th 2009, 12:13 AM) *

who will take the initiative and create the facebook group we all want?

Kirsty Rogers tongue.gif The Archive, on a book with a face.
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Aug 20th 2009, 2:48 PM
Post #21

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,463

I've only been coming to this site for two years, and even then rarely in the last year due to that exciting rollercoaster we call "Real Life".

Daf, JT and IndyJan, I will miss our heated (yet constructive) debates on our feelings of the shows! I had a blast with you guys in particular.

To everyone else, it was an honor to meet (virtually, of course) and discuss the Stargate series with you all. As I don't have accounts on any other Stargate sites, or accounts on social networking sites, it is unlikely I will have the chance to chat with you all again. And I'm definitely bummed I won't be able to share pictures of my soon-to-be-born baby boy. crying.gif

Arc and Linz, you've done a wonderful job with this site, and I am grateful to have been a very small and insignificant part of it! biggrin.gif

I wish everyone of you the best in life and in your futures. And if I do run into any of you again in the future on some distant website, I hope you'll give me a "Hello" to let me know it's you!

Much love to you all!
-Shy

P.S.

FURLINGS!!!!!
Heh, I just had to do it. wink.gif
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Sep 5th 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #22

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,544

*hugs everyone*
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Sep 6th 2009, 9:34 AM
Post #23

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

I am truly sorry about the site closing. It was a great place to hang out, and the atmosphere was fantastic. I know I was not a very old user (only having been here for three years), but I learned a lot from the experience here and I enjoyed making new friends, talking with diverse people around the world about subjects we had in common.

Keep to Stargate, no matter what. wink.gif
+Quote Post
I AM SCI-FI
post Sep 9th 2009, 6:30 PM
Post #24

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,378

I became the 2,378 member when I joined on September 26th 2003. I've been a way for a while, and was hoping to join back in on the fun with STARGATE UNIVERSE coming out.
Where will I go, now, to discuss the new show?
It seems the Go'auld, Wraith, and Ori have won, in the end.
This is most sad, indeed.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 24th 2014 - 12:44 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.