Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate Atlantis only. Atlantis spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate SG-1 Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Entering Stargates, Can you go through a Stargate both ways?
commaste91
post Feb 7th 2009, 9:21 PM
Post #1

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,813

Can a person go through a Stargate from the back? I only ask cause in Atlantis Season 5 Ghost in a Machine
» Click to Show Spoiler «
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Feb 8th 2009, 2:45 AM
Post #2

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

We've never seen anything enter a Stargate from the back. We've always been led to believe they have to enter through the front. I doubt they entered the Spacegate through the back, chances are it happened fast or there was a glitch on Spacegate SFX.
+Quote Post
commaste91
post Feb 8th 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #3

Airman First Class
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Feb 8th 2009, 6:45 PM) *

We've never seen anything enter a Stargate from the back. We've always been led to believe they have to enter through the front. I doubt they entered the Spacegate through the back, chances are it happened fast or there was a glitch on Spacegate SFX.

I think I also saw some stuff go through the back of a Stargate in SG-1. I can't remember what episode but i think the tok'ra were involved.
Anyway if we do say that things can't go through the back of a stargate then what happens to them? I mean do they just past through the event horizon and go to the front side or do they stop being like what happens to you if you go through a incoming wormhole?

This post has been edited by commaste91: Feb 8th 2009, 12:29 PM
+Quote Post
Sven37
post Feb 8th 2009, 8:54 PM
Post #4

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 20,581

I remember reading somewhere (I beleive it was in one of my SG books about the tech from SG) that if you would come in contact with the back of the EH from the SG you would bounce back with the same and opposite V(elocity).

haha, it sounds cooler just saying V... try it
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Feb 9th 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #5

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,544

QUOTE(commaste91 @ Feb 8th 2009, 12:02 PM) *

I think I also saw some stuff go through the back of a Stargate in SG-1. I can't remember what episode but i think the tok'ra were involved.

Nah, I don't think you saw anything go through the back of a stargate and actually travel anywhere. From what we've seen, if someone or something goes through the back of a stargate, they just end up on the other side of the stargate. Gatetravel is one way, remember?
+Quote Post
commaste91
post Feb 12th 2009, 12:06 AM
Post #6

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Nah, I don't think you saw anything go through the back of a stargate and actually travel anywhere. From what we've seen, if someone or something goes through the back of a stargate, they just end up on the other side of the stargate. Gatetravel is one way, remember?
[/quote]
When they say that gatetravel is one way they mean you can't go through a incoming wormhole. What I'm asking is wether or not a person can go through a Stargate from the front and back.
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Feb 12th 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #7

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,544

No, you cannot.

/thread
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Feb 14th 2009, 7:08 AM
Post #8

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

The Stargates have always been orientated in one direction - the chevron facing forward. A point has always been made to show the Stargate facing in that direction and show everyone entering the Stargate via the side with the chevrons i.e. the front. No-one has entered the Stargate from the rear.
+Quote Post
gobi
post Mar 11th 2009, 3:13 AM
Post #9

Unregistered

QUOTE(commaste91 @ Feb 8th 2009, 10:21 AM) *

Can a person go through a Stargate from the back? I only ask cause in Atlantis Season 5 Ghost in a Machine

I doubt that. The wormhole is one-way.

After all, they (the Stargate writers) have been telling us that the energy particles travels one-way through a wormhole. And you can see that every time an enemy attacks, the first thing they do was to dial in to prevent SG teams to dial out.

But there was some exception. Like that Black hole episode. The guys dial in, Sam noticed the black hole, they tried to close the gate and next thing they know, they stuck in a washing machine.

My guess is, even so the matter could only travel one way, with enough gravity working on the other side, could actual influence the situation in this side. Logical, ya? king.gif

This post has been edited by gobi: Mar 11th 2009, 3:13 AM
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Mar 11th 2009, 7:23 AM
Post #10

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(gobi @ Mar 11th 2009, 10:13 AM) *

I doubt that. The wormhole is one-way.

After all, they (the Stargate writers) have been telling us that the energy particles travels one-way through a wormhole. And you can see that every time an enemy attacks, the first thing they do was to dial in to prevent SG teams to dial out.

I don't think you understood the topic pretty well. This thread is about people entering the stargate through the back. As in, the other side of the gate, not from the planet that has been dialed. smile.gif

More to what you said, I disagree. It is not energy particles that travel one-way, but matter. Energy particles travel both ways, as we have seen radio conversations through the gate, and other forms of communication. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(gobi @ Mar 11th 2009, 10:13 AM) *

But there was some exception. Like that Black hole episode. The guys dial in, Sam noticed the black hole, they tried to close the gate and next thing they know, they stuck in a washing machine.

Since energy travels both ways through the gate, gravity has the same property, thus, the really giant washing machine is ready to suck all them bad ol' Stargate Command foo's. wink.gif

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Mar 11th 2009, 7:24 AM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Mar 11th 2009, 5:57 PM
Post #11

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Mar 11th 2009, 5:23 AM) *

Since energy travels both ways through the gate, gravity has the same property, thus, the really giant washing machine is ready to suck all them bad ol' Stargate Command foo's. wink.gif

That begs a new question. What do you think would happen if the Black whole were at the outgoing site?

EDIT: Actually, this happened in the SG1 ep Pegasus and Teal'c did not appear to be affected by the gravity of the black hole, except for his voice being distorted.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Mar 11th 2009, 6:00 PM
+Quote Post
gobi
post Mar 11th 2009, 7:36 PM
Post #12

Unregistered

I don't understand ... why could anyone enter through the back (assuming it can be entered) when the front section is open?

It is possible that the event horizon occurs on the single layer - time, space and continuity doesn't effect anything once you have enter it. So even if you were to go through the back, it is possible you still end up on the planet you have dialed.

My guess is that most of you see the gate as a 3D object - with front and back portion. I see it as a hole in space. After all, that is what a "black hole" and a "worm hole" is, rite? A hole in the fabric of time and space?
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Mar 12th 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #13

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(gobi @ Mar 12th 2009, 2:36 AM) *

It is possible that the event horizon occurs on the single layer - time, space and continuity doesn't effect anything once you have enter it. So even if you were to go through the back, it is possible you still end up on the planet you have dialed.

My guess is that most of you see the gate as a 3D object - with front and back portion. I see it as a hole in space. After all, that is what a "black hole" and a "worm hole" is, rite? A hole in the fabric of time and space?

That is a good point, equivalent with my opinion of what would happen. Considering the layout of a black hole, there is no front or back portion, left or right, etc. Of course, this is a controlled device, and for one thing, it's not spherical (so, there is a left and right), and people have kept entering only through one side. The mystery deepens. rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Mar 12th 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #14

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(gobi @ Mar 11th 2009, 5:36 PM) *

I don't understand ... why could anyone enter through the back (assuming it can be entered) when the front section is open?

Well, what you've said is trouble of the wormhole itseft. But the gate definitly is a real object, made of matter. It can ben grabbed and moved and crashed into and it has a front side and a back side, and in all the episodes of both shows, the cartoon, and the movie, no one ever enters the gate throught he back side. That is the side opposite where the kawoosh comes out.
+Quote Post
gobi
post Mar 12th 2009, 9:40 PM
Post #15

Unregistered

Like I said before, you kept looking at the Gate as an Object - a 3 Dimensional Object, that is why you kept thinking that there could be a front section or a back section to it. I don't.

The Stargate is merely a tool which enable a person to perform a stable "hole in space" which they could enter and reappear hundreds of light-years away. That's it ... nothing so hard about it. It's just a hole in space.

Like the Warp window the Daedalus and Promethus forms before it goes through. Same thing, except that there is no Gate in the space. They form a "window" - another word for a hole, and go through the hole to the other side.

Here's a proof of what'm saying. Remember that episode where the team went and dial a planet with a newly formed Black hole?

The answer is simple - the "back" portion of the gate is on the Planet they dialed to, not the one on the back of gate, that is why it look like a cone, and with the front section spiralling like a freaking washing machine.

So, guys ... there is NO front or back. There's just a hole in space and you guys think there is one cos of the physical (round shaped) gate.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Mar 13th 2009, 1:15 AM
Post #16

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(gobi @ Mar 13th 2009, 4:40 AM) *

Like I said before, you kept looking at the Gate as an Object - a 3 Dimensional Object, that is why you kept thinking that there could be a front section or a back section to it. I don't.

The Stargate is merely a tool which enable a person to perform a stable "hole in space" which they could enter and reappear hundreds of light-years away. That's it ... nothing so hard about it. It's just a hole in space.

Like the Warp window the Daedalus and Promethus forms before it goes through. Same thing, except that there is no Gate in the space. They form a "window" - another word for a hole, and go through the hole to the other side.

Here's a proof of what'm saying. Remember that episode where the team went and dial a planet with a newly formed Black hole?

The answer is simple - the "back" portion of the gate is on the Planet they dialed to, not the one on the back of gate, that is why it look like a cone, and with the front section spiralling like a freaking washing machine.

So, guys ... there is NO front or back. There's just a hole in space and you guys think there is one cos of the physical (round shaped) gate.

It's not a Warp window... This is not Star Trek. It's called a Hyperspace window in this show. 1.gif

Now, the proof you provided here doesn't help you very much, because it only proves that the gate indeed has a back and a front section in it's construction. Because otherwise, there would be no difference between the behavior of both sides of the gate (e.g. a black hole looks the same viewed from every angle). There was a difference in every episode we saw (e.g. the kawoosh mentioned by JTMAG1), and there was a difference in this episode you mentioned.

The major curiosity would be what would have happened if someone would have fallen through the gate by entering on the side with the spiral. smile.gif

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Mar 13th 2009, 1:16 AM
+Quote Post
gobi
post Mar 13th 2009, 2:51 AM
Post #17

Unregistered

If someone fall through the other side, what do you expect to happen?

That they pass through the Event Horizon like some puddle in the air and come out the front section?

Or that they could be transported to the Planet which they were dialed to?

My money goes to the option that they will be transported to the Planet they dialed up. Cos if they can pass through the Event Horizon, then there is no point of an individual passing through the front. After all, only different between the front and the back is the Ring-shaped Gate.

+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Mar 13th 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #18

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Mar 12th 2009, 9:49 AM) *

Well, what you've said is trouble of the wormhole itseft. But the gate definitly is a real object, made of matter. It can ben grabbed and moved and crashed into and it has a front side and a back side, and in all the episodes of both shows, the cartoon, and the movie, no one ever enters the gate throught he back side. That is the side opposite where the kawoosh comes out.

QUOTE(gobi @ Mar 12th 2009, 7:40 PM) *

QUOTE(gobi @ Mar 13th 2009, 12:51 AM) *

If someone fall through the other side, what do you expect to happen?

That they pass through the Event Horizon like some puddle in the air and come out the front section?

Or that they could be transported to the Planet which they were dialed to?

My money goes to the option that they will be transported to the Planet they dialed up. Cos if they can pass through the Event Horizon, then there is no point of an individual passing through the front. After all, only different between the front and the back is the Ring-shaped Gate.

Ok, I'm going to resort to pictures. The Startgate is not the wormhole. The stargate is the device that the use to create the wormhole. The device is a physical object. In my diagram, they always ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS walk through the front, that is to say that always walk through the side with the blue arrow.

The question we are asking, is what would happen if they walk through the red side, which is the back side. It is possible that it works, or that you just end up on the other side of the singularity. It's never been shown, and to my knowledge the question has never come up on the show.

IPB Image

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Mar 13th 2009, 12:27 PM
+Quote Post
Sven37
post Mar 13th 2009, 7:37 PM
Post #19

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 20,581

I agree with JTMAG. The SG is just a device. It demolecularizes matter.
It is NOT the wormhole. This is where the show gets sketchy on the technology. While the stargate is the 'dematerializer' it is also the device that opens a singulairty out of quantum foam and expands it.... or perhaps it is a focusing lens .

Going with the focusing lens idea. Imagine you have a magnifying glass and you are looking at an ant. (no not burning it via the sun).... Now the ant is the singularity. On your side of the lens is a 'coating'. This coating is the 'dematerializer''. As the light passes through the lens from the ant to you, you see the ant and the ant sees you (light is energy). but since the ant doesn't have the 'coating' on its side of the lens it can't get to you. Since you do, you can move to the lens through your coating and get passed as a beam of information to the other side which then puts you back together via another special coating on that side of the lens.

(I know i just said the ant was the singularity and you get remade before it, but just go with it... pretend it is inside the lens.. or there are two lens looking at the same ant.)

Therefore you see the 'fluctuations in the event horizon' while not needing to expand the wormhole to the ten feet. (saving loads of negative energy needed).

This can also explain why the ancients never made it two way. To send the matter stream both ways is too risky, interference, energy required, not being able to establish two types of 'coating' on the same side of the lens, what have you. There are many reasons.

Don't expect to understand it.
Don't expect to understand the stargate. It was made by a 'very advanced' civ.

This post has been edited by Sven37: Mar 13th 2009, 7:41 PM
+Quote Post
gobi
post Mar 13th 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #20

Unregistered

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Mar 14th 2009, 1:26 AM) *

Ok, I'm going to resort to pictures.

You didn't understand a single thing I have said. Never mind, good day to you.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Mar 14th 2009, 3:00 AM
Post #21

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(gobi @ Mar 14th 2009, 5:21 AM) *

Again, you're taking this too serious. You either didn't understand the topic of this thread, or were too much in a hurry to express an idea that you failed to explain too well. There is no need for you to get upset over anything. We're all friends here, different opinions, but still friends. smile.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Mar 14th 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #22

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(gobi @ Mar 13th 2009, 8:21 PM) *

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Mar 14th 2009, 1:00 AM) *

Again, you're taking this too serious. You either didn't understand the topic of this thread, or were too much in a hurry to express an idea that you failed to explain too well. There is no need for you to get upset over anything. We're all friends here, different opinions, but still friends. smile.gif

Yeah, what Marv said.

Just because I didn't give you the response you were looking for doesn't mean that I didn't understand you. I just think you are jumping way over the quesiton. The question is simply, "why don't they walk through the gate from the back side?"

It could just be a coincidence, or it could be that you get vaporized if you do. We don't know, but we do enjoy the speculation.
+Quote Post
gobi
post Mar 15th 2009, 9:44 PM
Post #23

Unregistered

As I have already mentioned, you do not know what you are talking about.

Problem here is you are talking about Physical object (Gate) while I'm talking about Physics (the Wormhole). Two different topics.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Mar 16th 2009, 12:44 AM
Post #24

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(gobi @ Mar 15th 2009, 7:44 PM) *

As I have already mentioned, you do not know what you are talking about.

Problem here is you are talking about Physical object (Gate) while I'm talking about Physics (the Wormhole). Two different topics.

Yes, you're right, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Oh wait, I read the opening post in this topic and it appears that I am indeed correct, I do know what I'm talking about, because commaste's question is about the stargate itself, and not the actual wornhole. As I've stated, it's a simple question and you overshot the runway by 3 lightyears.
QUOTE(commaste91 @ Feb 7th 2009, 7:21 PM) *

Anyway if we do say that things can't go through the back of a stargate then what happens to them? I mean do they just past through the event horizon and go to the front side or do they stop being like what happens to you if you go through a incoming wormhole?

I already said, "Well, what you've said is trouble of the wormhole itseft. But the gate definitly is a real object, made of matter. It can ben grabbed and moved and crashed into and it has a front side and a back side, and in all the episodes of both shows, the cartoon, and the movie, no one ever enters the gate throught he back side. That is the side opposite where the kawoosh comes out." You're the one going on about a completely different topic.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Mar 16th 2009, 12:52 AM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 30th 2014 - 4:14 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.