> Star Trek, out on 8 May 2009
Revan
post Oct 18th 2008, 11:05 AM
Post #1

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

This is a thread for the discussion of the new Star Trek movie coming out next summer.

Apparently, the first full trailer will debut with Quantum of Solace.

There is an Entertainment Weekly Article here
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Oct 18th 2008, 1:09 PM
Post #2

Major General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,411

I watched the original series because, frankly, it was like nothing else on tv at the time. ST and Lost in Space were about it where network scifi was concerned.

I never got into any of the spinoffs. I kinda watched the ones with Patrick Stewart and Scott Bakula and those were pretty OK. I must admit, what I've seen about this one has gotten me interested, even if it's time travel and maybe an alternate universe, if I remember what I read. I kind of got my fill of that stuff with SG-1 so I don't know about that story.

I lost interest in ST when I saw Star Wars. For me, there was no comparison, SW really did go boldy where no man had gone before.

I might go watch it, I might not.
+Quote Post
Parmenides
post Oct 18th 2008, 1:55 PM
Post #3

Birds ate his face.
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,770

They should make a Voyager film. smile.gif

(...even though they got home...)
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 18th 2008, 2:13 PM
Post #4

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Parmenides @ Oct 18th 2008, 7:55 PM) *

What about that missing adventure that was untold....until now rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I've got to say at first I wasn't interested in this Star Trek film, but JJ Abrams is doing it. And with everything else that's been release, I'm still not interested. Nope, still sorry smile.gif I like Sylar dressed up that way though they got the look right from the original.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Oct 18th 2008, 2:13 PM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 18th 2008, 2:37 PM
Post #5

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(wonderland @ Oct 18th 2008, 2:09 PM) *

I watched the original series because, frankly, it was like nothing else on tv at the time. ST and Lost in Space were about it where network scifi was concerned.

I never got into any of the spinoffs. I kinda watched the ones with Patrick Stewart and Scott Bakula and those were pretty OK. I must admit, what I've seen about this one has gotten me interested, even if it's time travel and maybe an alternate universe, if I remember what I read. I kind of got my fill of that stuff with SG-1 so I don't know about that story.

I lost interest in ST when I saw Star Wars. For me, there was no comparison, SW really did go boldy where no man had gone before.

I might go watch it, I might not.

As was said in the article, Star Wars tends to be more visceral, while Star Trek often tends to be more cerebral... I think it's just a matter of personal preference and one's mood on any given day.

The Original Series, in my opinion, wasn't all that great. It was a stepping stone, surely, but I never really liked the stories.

QUOTE(Parmenides @ Oct 18th 2008, 2:55 PM) *

I imagine they could go further with those characters. I mean, I don't at all like what I've read about where various writers went with novels using those characters, but I think one could tell interesting stories with a few or all of them. Too many writers try to force conflict in where there is none just to create suspense... Seriously, find a better way to tell a story.
+Quote Post
oliver feng
post Mar 5th 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

The show's complicated setup provides endless opportunities for drama. Not only does the series explore the lingering tension between the Bajorans and the Cardassians (who make it very clear that they want to regain control of the outpost), the constant stream of characters passing through the busy station means endless opportunities for guest stars with new conflicts. And unlike the other Star Trek series, which almost always resolved their conflicts by the end of each episode and rarely followed story arcs for more than a few episodes, DS9 (which originally aired from 1993 to 1999) really hit its stride by creating a compelling, overarching storyline that follows the complicated political machinations among the Federation and its allies, the Dominion and its invasion plans, and the simmering conflict with the Cardassians (who eventually ally themselves with the Dominon and later come to regret that choice).
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Mar 6th 2009, 8:52 AM
Post #7

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(oliver feng @ Mar 5th 2009, 7:13 PM) *

The show's complicated setup provides endless opportunities for drama. Not only does the series explore the lingering tension between the Bajorans and the Cardassians (who make it very clear that they want to regain control of the outpost), the constant stream of characters passing through the busy station means endless opportunities for guest stars with new conflicts. And unlike the other Star Trek series, which almost always resolved their conflicts by the end of each episode and rarely followed story arcs for more than a few episodes, DS9 (which originally aired from 1993 to 1999) really hit its stride by creating a compelling, overarching storyline that follows the complicated political machinations among the Federation and its allies, the Dominion and its invasion plans, and the simmering conflict with the Cardassians (who eventually ally themselves with the Dominon and later come to regret that choice).

Oliver, are you just going to another website and posting someone's descriptions of these tv shows?

I've seen the teaser trailer, and it makes the movie seem WAY more exciting than the first trailor did. I'm extremly excited to see this now, along with the rest of this year's great sci-fi titles.
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Mar 8th 2009, 4:32 PM
Post #8

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,544

When you guys see posts like Oliver's, don't click on the links. They more often than not contain malware, and they're obvious spam attempts. Please report these posts when you see them.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Mar 8th 2009, 9:50 PM
Post #9

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

The most recent trailer is bloody magnificent. I was pretty excited to begin with, but now I'm like, ecstatic. w00t.gif
+Quote Post
Halb
post Mar 10th 2009, 6:57 AM
Post #10

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,998

Initially I thought this was a stupid idea, and that was backed up by the first trailer where Kirk looked 10 and Spock didn't sound like Spock (altho he really looked like him). 2nd trailer I saw makes me think it might be better than I first thought, will hope that is is, because the original series is the only decent one in my opinion and it would be s shame to sully that with a poor reboot job.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Mar 11th 2009, 5:35 PM
Post #11

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Mar 8th 2009, 7:50 PM) *

The most recent trailer is bloody magnificent. I was pretty excited to begin with, but now I'm like, ecstatic. w00t.gif

I was always going to see this, but this week at Hero's night, people who were not Startrek fans at all were excited. This has a chance to be one of the biggest movies of the year if it's done as well as it appears to be.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Apr 15th 2009, 4:50 AM
Post #12

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

Having been a fan of the original one and preferring it to all the others that came after, I was intrigued by a new movie. How could I not be? I have only seen one trailer and it got my interest. The more I hear about it the more I'm looking forward to it. As long as they don't totally ruin the original, I think I'll be happy with it.
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Apr 15th 2009, 6:33 AM
Post #13

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Apr 15th 2009, 5:50 AM) *

Having been a fan of the original one and preferring it to all the others that came after, I was intrigued by a new movie. How could I not be? I have only seen one trailer and it got my interest. The more I hear about it the more I'm looking forward to it. As long as they don't totally ruin the original, I think I'll be happy with it.

I asked my niece's husband (he and I talk Battlestar and Star Wars) what he thought about the new ST. She was like 'don't get him started!'. Evidently he did a 30-minute rave during dinner about how awful it was going to be and how he was going online to start a boycott of the movie. I think he was only half joking.
He and I will probably go and see it. Just to see, you know?
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Apr 15th 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #14

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(wonderland @ Apr 15th 2009, 6:33 AM) *

I asked my niece's husband (he and I talk Battlestar and Star Wars) what he thought about the new ST. She was like 'don't get him started!'. Evidently he did a 30-minute rave during dinner about how awful it was going to be and how he was going online to start a boycott of the movie. I think he was only half joking.
He and I will probably go and see it. Just to see, you know?

My SIL will be boycotting the show. He doesn't like their premise. I know it's a prequal to the ST that I knew and loved. I know that they have made choices that are out of place, for instance, characters that were not a part of their team until the original tv show, but they will be in the prequal. I have seen photos of the cast, and for the most part they look okay, all except for one,
» Click to Show Spoiler «

It will work for me, as long as what worked for me in the series happens, that is the onscreen chemistry between Kirk, Spock and Bones. That is what stood out in the original series, along with bein in the forefront of story telling.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Apr 16th 2009, 10:18 AM
Post #15

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

I think that we fall in love with actors sometimes more than the character that they play.

I've done the same thing too, with Vinny Jones in X-men, and Topher Grace in spider-man, but when I saw those movies, the actors did a great job playing the characters. Even though I thought they didn't look anything like the usual portrayal of the characters.

I found out Last week that this is going to an IMAX movie. I'm definitely going to pay the extra $2 for the IMAX experience.

+Quote Post
Revan
post Apr 25th 2009, 1:46 PM
Post #16

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Apr 15th 2009, 12:10 PM) *

My SIL will be boycotting the show. He doesn't like their premise. I know it's a prequal to the ST that I knew and loved. I know that they have made choices that are out of place, for instance, characters that were not a part of their team until the original tv show, but they will be in the prequal. I have seen photos of the cast, and for the most part they look okay, all except for one,

It will work for me, as long as what worked for me in the series happens, that is the onscreen chemistry between Kirk, Spock and Bones. That is what stood out in the original series, along with bein in the forefront of story telling.

Chris Pine?

Karl Urban plays Doctor McCoy... He is tall, buff and has black hair.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Apr 25th 2009, 2:37 PM
Post #17

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Apr 25th 2009, 1:46 PM) *

Chris Pine?

Karl Urban plays Doctor McCoy... He is tall, buff and has black hair.

Nope the actor playing Kirk is totally wrong and could never turn into the Kirk we knew and loved.

My daughter, has purchased IMAX tickets for us to see the show since it is Mother's Day weekend. Of course, her husband and my will be attending as well. I can't wait. My daughter said, "what better way to celebrate Mother's Day then attending the opening of this new Star Trek movie with the woman who turned me onto the series!" Love my daughter. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Apr 25th 2009, 4:23 PM
Post #18

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Apr 25th 2009, 3:37 PM) *

Nope the actor playing Kirk is totally wrong and could never turn into the Kirk we knew and loved.

My daughter, has purchased IMAX tickets for us to see the show since it is Mother's Day weekend. Of course, her husband and my will be attending as well. I can't wait. My daughter said, "what better way to celebrate Mother's Day then attending the opening of this new Star Trek movie with the woman who turned me onto the series!" Love my daughter. smile.gif

The Kirk from the television series wasn't that great. Shatner was a lot better in the films than he was in the series.
+Quote Post
Vill
post Apr 25th 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #19

so long and thx for all the fish...
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,481

QUOTE(Revan @ Apr 25th 2009, 2:23 PM) *

The Kirk from the television series wasn't that great. Shatner was a lot better in the films than he was in the series.

Personally, I've never thought 'TV Kirk' vs 'Movie Kirk' was really a fair comparison in terms of acting styles / quality - the TV show was made in the mid 60s, and the movies in the late 70's early 80s and on - acting styles changed in that time (compare 'classic' Dr Who with 'new' Dr Who for another example from the UK...)
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Apr 25th 2009, 9:34 PM
Post #20

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Apr 16th 2009, 8:18 AM) *

I think that we fall in love with actors sometimes more than the character that they play.

I've done the same thing too, with Vinny Jones in X-men, and Topher Grace in spider-man, but when I saw those movies, the actors did a great job playing the characters. Even though I thought they didn't look anything like the usual portrayal of the characters.

I found out Last week that this is going to an IMAX movie. I'm definitely going to pay the extra $2 for the IMAX experience.

So I went ahead and bought the tickets. Its usually an extra $2. I purchased them and looked at the receipt to find that its actually an extra $10 for this movie which is only supposed to be on IMAX for 2 weeks sad.gif

I guess its not too bad, but $40 is a lot for a date to the movies, before you start counting dinner and what not.

QUOTE(Revan @ Apr 25th 2009, 2:23 PM) *

I totally agree. My opinion may be slanted because I wasn't born when the TV series was out. My first experience with Star trek was TNG. I was suprised to see different characters in the movies. I went back to see the older series and I could never really get into it. I'm a big movie and TNG fan though.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Apr 27th 2009, 1:30 AM
Post #21

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Apr 25th 2009, 9:34 PM) *

So I went ahead and bought the tickets. Its usually an extra $2. I purchased them and looked at the receipt to find that its actually an extra $10 for this movie which is only supposed to be on IMAX for 2 weeks sad.gif

I guess its not too bad, but $40 is a lot for a date to the movies, before you start counting dinner and what not.
I totally agree. My opinion may be slanted because I wasn't born when the TV series was out. My first experience with Star trek was TNG. I was suprised to see different characters in the movies. I went back to see the older series and I could never really get into it. I'm a big movie and TNG fan though.

Yeah, I know the tickets are kind of pricey for IMAX, but it's only for 2 weeks and since it's my Mother's Day gift, I won't be complaining. smile.gif

I'm a die-hard original series Star Trek fan. Always have been and always will be. ST:TNG was okay. They had more money for the special effects, but the chemistry just wasn't there like it was for the original series. I liken the chemistry of the original 4 for SG1 to the chemistry of the original ST. You don't get that kind of chemistry for a tv series just coming along any day of the week. They never had that kind of chemistry for SGA either. I think that was one of the main drawbacks. Now BSG did have that kind of instant chemistry between the characters, Adama/Roslin, Starbuck/Apollo, Helo/Athena, Caprica 6/Baltar. You can have all the best actors in the world, but if that onscreen chemistry isn't there, you can forget it, and I don't just mean male/female chemistry in the sexual sense.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post May 8th 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #22

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

I saw Star Trek Last night and I thought it was Freakin Great! I saw it on the IMAX. I have tickets to see it again tonight, and I'm totally looking forward to it.

I though the movie was done very well, from the cinematography, to the writing to the acting. There is already an expectation of what we want the characters to be and they don't disapoint.

It looks like there is room for a new line of movies, and I'd totally be for that.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post May 9th 2009, 7:46 PM
Post #23

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

OMG, I just came home after seeing it on IMAX, and it was fantastic.

The acting, writing, special effects were awesome. If you are a fan of the original series, you will love this. I'm so glad that they figured out a way to continue the francishe, and they will continue it. There will be more movies.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post May 9th 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #24

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(IndyJan @ May 10th 2009, 1:46 AM) *

If you are a fan of the original series, you will love this.

What if you're not? As I generally...hate all the other Star Treks. While this film has taken a lot of steps in the right direction, is it enough to entice someone who doesn't like the franchise....at all?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 27th 2014 - 9:12 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.