Rating  5
Arcady
post Aug 24th 2008, 8:59 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

In this adrenaline-driven, action adventure, members of SG-1 find themselves returning to a world where their history has been dramatically altered. Continuing the legacy of Stargate SG-1, the longest-running, scripted, made-for television series in U.S. broadcasting history, Stargate: Continuum reunites Richard Dean Anderson as Jack O'Neill, with series favorites Ben Browder, Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge, Claudia Black, Golden Globe winner and three-time Emmy Award-winning actor, Beau Bridges and Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson.

"Stargate: Continuum" is available now on DVD at Amazon.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Aug 24th 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #2

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

Arcady thank you for opening this movie thread.

I have already said that I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Yes, it was predictable at times, but so what. SG1 was fighting the Goa'uld once more and what Goa'ulds! They were all back and great to see.

I know that there has been numerous discussions about the time travel storylines, but I don't get technical, I just enjoy, which I did. We also got to see Don S. Davis once again in the role of General Hammond. I also loved having William Devane on as President Hayes once again. He makes a great president.

Even though Claudia was pregnant, with how she was dressed you couldn't tell. Yet they managed to use her to the best of their ability due to her pregnancy. Qe'Tesh was truly evil, and it wasn't Vala at all.

This reminded me of the old SG1. It took me back to the beginning and showed just how good they all were.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Aug 25th 2008, 9:31 AM
Post #3

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,251

I agree with all of your points Indy. I thought the movie was pretty good. I was one of those talking about the time travel, but it didn't really effect how I felt about the movie. I found myself entertained Throughout.

Perhaps it was just good to seen some SG1 action, but I liked it.

+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Aug 25th 2008, 12:15 PM
Post #4

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Aug 25th 2008, 9:31 AM) *

Perhaps it was just good to seen some SG1 action, but I liked it.

It was good to see them in action once again. It's why I'm looking forward to the third movie. I hope that they do continue with two movies a year. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Aug 25th 2008, 1:38 PM
Post #5

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Aug 25th 2008, 6:15 PM) *

It was good to see them in action once again. It's why I'm looking forward to the third movie. I hope that they do continue with two movies a year. smile.gif

Well I'm hoping now that Sci-fi have a contract to air AoT and Continuum that any future movies will air on there as well. As DVD movies the distributors (Fox in this case) like to have the final film in their possession 6 months before the DVD's release, so they can prepare it and put it together ect, Rob Cooper said somewhere. But if the films are for TV specifically as well they just air them straight away and we'd probably get them sooner, and hopefully by the end of 2009.

Anyway yes, Continuum was good, I liked it. Old fashioned adventure, I think some people expected too much given it was a film but it was good. Although it was annoying getting Browder to play the ship captain as well! I hate it when shows do that even if they were doing it to mislead you to thinking it was Mitchell it was still annoying smile.gif

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Aug 25th 2008, 1:40 PM
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Aug 25th 2008, 4:37 PM
Post #6

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Aug 25th 2008, 1:38 PM) *

Well I'm hoping now that Sci-fi have a contract to air AoT and Continuum that any future movies will air on there as well. As DVD movies the distributors (Fox in this case) like to have the final film in their possession 6 months before the DVD's release, so they can prepare it and put it together ect, Rob Cooper said somewhere. But if the films are for TV specifically as well they just air them straight away and we'd probably get them sooner, and hopefully by the end of 2009.

Anyway yes, Continuum was good, I liked it. Old fashioned adventure, I think some people expected too much given it was a film but it was good. Although it was annoying getting Browder to play the ship captain as well! I hate it when shows do that even if they were doing it to mislead you to thinking it was Mitchell it was still annoying smile.gif

You know that annoyed me as well, but I didn't say anything. I have never warmed up to BB on the show. I know that some like him, probably from his Farscape time, but he just didn't fit, IMO. I know for a fact that I convinced my daughter and son-in-law to watch SG1, but they only did it because of BB and CB and because they loved Farscape.

IMO, they tried too hard to make Cam fit and he didn't. I know he had big shoes to fill, RDA. Claudia/Vala was a totally new character and they found her place after they toned her down from her 6 episode stint during season 9. Plus, she did have tremendous chemistry, the male/female kind with Daniel. wink.gif Cam just never fit. They tried to flesh him out with some stories, but they didn't work, at least not for me. So having him be the one that got left behind to save the day as himself and his relative, just didn't appeal to me.

It kind of reminded me about season 9, when they tried so hard giving stories to both Vala and Cam and pushing both Daniel and Teal'c aside to do it. I realize they couldn't use Amanda due to her pregnancy, but they could have used both Daniel and Teal'c and they did not, at least not to what they are capable of. Of course, in this storyline, it couldn't have been Teal'c since he no longer existed and was with Ba'al. They created a storyline where Daniel was not around. But they could have used Sam, but elected not to. If they had shown that Sam and Jack got together, that would have been okay, but they didn't. wink.gif
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Aug 25th 2008, 4:46 PM
Post #7

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Aug 25th 2008, 10:37 PM) *

You know that annoyed me as well, but I didn't say anything. I have never warmed up to BB on the show. I know that some like him, probably from his Farscape time, but he just didn't fit, IMO. I know for a fact that I convinced my daughter and son-in-law to watch SG1, but they only did it because of BB and CB and because they loved Farscape.

IMO, they tried too hard to make Cam fit and he didn't. I know he had big shoes to fill, RDA. Claudia/Vala was a totally new character and they found her place after they toned her down from her 6 episode stint during season 9. Plus, she did have tremendous chemistry, the male/female kind with Daniel. wink.gif Cam just never fit. They tried to flesh him out with some stories, but they didn't work, at least not for me. So having him be the one that got left behind to save the day as himself and his relative, just didn't appeal to me.

It kind of reminded me about season 9, when they tried so hard giving stories to both Vala and Cam and pushing both Daniel and Teal'c aside to do it. I realize they couldn't use Amanda due to her pregnancy, but they could have used both Daniel and Teal'c and they did not, at least not to what they are capable of. Of course, in this storyline, it couldn't have been Teal'c since he no longer existed and was with Ba'al. They created a storyline where Daniel was not around. But they could have used Sam, but elected not to. If they had shown that Sam and Jack got together, that would have been okay, but they didn't. wink.gif

Yeah but if you have a character that is not working entirely, the answer to that isn't to just not use them in big roles wink.gif You have to, as that's how they grow. I like Mitchell, when I first started watching season 9 I didn't like Farscape and didn't know Browder, but he struck me as a good actor and I was fine with his character. He didn't have the chemistry with the actors or characters that Jack did or the rest of them did, but as his own character, on his own merits, I liked him and still don't have anything against him.

I got into Farscape half way through season 10, and Browder fits the role so well there it is really good. You watch 5 minutes of that show and you can see why they chose him to play that role. He's a lot more...mad, out there and expresses himself more freely. He couldn't really do that on SG-1 as a)he was in the military, and an official leader of the team, there had to be a certain amount of restraint. And b) he was trying to avoid his Farscape character just coming out here. He still is a good actor, but the producers didn't give him that chemistry or...well as good writing they gave Jack or Vala. But his own character is fine as what it is imo.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Aug 25th 2008, 7:18 PM
Post #8

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

BB is a good actor, I just said that he wasn't a proper fit for SG1.

Oh and I never could get info Farscape, whatsoever. I tried, but just couldn't.

I think the producers signed BB and CB hoping that they would bring Farscape fans with them. They may have, but I think they lost some SG1 fans in the process. I stuck with it because I just love the show that much, but I did complain about them using BB and CB too much and pushing MS and CJ aside to do it. Yes, I know they needed to try and set their characters, but with Cam it just didn't work.

This post has been edited by IndyJan: Aug 26th 2008, 6:28 PM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Aug 26th 2008, 9:48 AM
Post #9

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

I liked BB on SG1. I never looked at him as a replacement for Jack, and I never saw any eps of farscape because it always appeared Cheesy.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Aug 26th 2008, 3:29 PM
Post #10

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

I doubt there was ever the intention for him to be a replacement for Jack but there were similarities that cried out "replacement", his sarcasm and one-liners for instance. I got the impression TPTB wanted a new character but could never let Jack go completely.

As I said in the other thread, I was pleasantly suprised by this movie. I'm not a fan of the time travel plots but this worked pretty well. More on screen time for the past System Lords would have been nice along with Qetesh. Claudia's pregnancy meant she had to take a backseat but she did very well in what she was given, a little more would have been nice.
+Quote Post
JC1
post Aug 26th 2008, 4:30 PM
Post #11

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 342

I never had a problem with the Mitchell character. I didnít really think he was anything like Jack. Mitchell had flaws that he himself was aware off. He was impatient, a bit of a hot head at times, and sometimes had doubts about his own abilities as leader. OíNeill, and Sheppard for that matter, come across as very sure of themselves and even cocky at times. So I never felt Mitchell was like Jack or even trying to be.

As for Continuum, I did enjoy the movie, but felt it could have been better, and was disappointed with F-15 / death glider battle, or lack of it. Qetesh, was surprisingly good in the movie, and it was to see some of the old system lords. I thought Jack would have a bigger or more pivotal role in the movie, but really he didnít have much to do.

Generally though, Iím not a big fan of alternate timeline or alternate universe stories as by the end everything usually returns exactly the way it was, and thereís no lasting impact on the characters or the story.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Sep 1st 2008, 8:38 PM
Post #12

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

I told you that I got my daughter and son-in-law hooked on SG1. They just watch Continuum. They liked it so much better than AoT. Why? Because it was a great story and involved everyone in it. I just loved the Goa'uld back as the villain this time. Oh and they love Ba'al, and like all of us, is he dead? Of course they can bring back a clone anytime they want to. wink.gif
+Quote Post
KILO
post Sep 4th 2008, 9:29 AM
Post #13

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,765

Although I really enjoyed Continuum, I found it to be more of a really long episode than a movie, but I guess it would be hard to see it any other way considering we are used to seeing Stargate SG1 as a show. I totally think both AoT and Continuum blow away the first Stargate movie... In fact I would've loved it if they had decided to re-do the first movie with the same actors as the show because I don't know about anyone else but it was hard for me to connect the Jack played by Russell to the Jack played by RDA, however, the 2 Daniels weren't to far apart IMO.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Sep 4th 2008, 10:40 AM
Post #14

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(KILO @ Sep 4th 2008, 7:29 AM) *

Although I really enjoyed Continuum, I found it to be more of a really long episode than a movie, but I guess it would be hard to see it any other way considering we are used to seeing Stargate SG1 as a show. I totally think both AoT and Continuum blow away the first Stargate movie... In fact I would've loved it if they had decided to re-do the first movie with the same actors as the show because I don't know about anyone else but it was hard for me to connect the Jack played by Russell to the Jack played by RDA, however, the 2 Daniels weren't to far apart IMO.

These movies are completely different from the first stargate movie, and they are standing on 200+ episodes of the show. As stand alone movies though, they are no where near the caliber of the original stargate movie. Whether or like the movie or not, that movie is on a much grander scale than these.
+Quote Post
Andorian15
post Sep 4th 2008, 8:46 PM
Post #15

:)
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,943

I didn't like the movie very much. It was certainly ok, but I was hoping there would be a lot more RDA, and less meaningless filler plot. I found what little plot there was to be predictable and stale. Exactly how often are they going to kill off every main character in a time travel episode, as the last survivor just makes it through the stargate to change history? How many times have we seen the doomsday scenario played out. How many times do we have to see alternate universe characters end up saying"Gee, I guess we shoulda trusted SG1." It seemed to me the performances we're more reactive than they should have been as well sad.gif

Frankly, I wish I didn't waste 15 dollars on the thing. If I want real Stargate I'll go watch season 4.
+Quote Post
SKATO
post Jul 8th 2009, 12:51 AM
Post #16

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 14,622

I love this movie.

I watched it with my Dad, who has only seen the 1st Stargate movie. He understood it and enjoyed it, as did I. The only weird bit was having BB as the ship Captain. But, it didn't bother me that much.

The 'Navy' part with Carter and Mitchell was funny. 8/10 biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jul 8th 2009, 1:31 AM
Post #17

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(SKATO @ Jul 8th 2009, 12:51 AM) *

I love this movie.

I watched it with my Dad, who has only seen the 1st Stargate movie. He understood it and enjoyed it, as did I. The only weird bit was having BB as the ship Captain. But, it didn't bother me that much.

The 'Navy' part with Carter and Mitchell was funny. 8/10 biggrin.gif

The fact that you said this shows that SG knew what they were doing. They did reach out to more than just SG fans.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Dec 8th 2009, 5:20 AM
Post #18

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

The Syfy channel ran both The AoT and Continuum today. I thoroughly enjoyed them both more than I have been enjoying SGU. I'm not even a BB fan for Stargate, but I still enjoyed him more than SGU.
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Dec 8th 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #19

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,463

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Dec 8th 2009, 2:20 AM) *

The Syfy channel ran both The AoT and Continuum today. I thoroughly enjoyed them both more than I have been enjoying SGU. I'm not even a BB fan for Stargate, but I still enjoyed him more than SGU.

Can you believe it's been more than a year since SG: Continuum came out? And better than a year and a half since AoT? Where does the time go? Oh, well if you follow your SG canon, it CAN fold back on itself and you can change history. smile.gif

But! To add to the topic here - watched Continuum again yesterday. My wife came in the room and asked, "Is there a Stargate marathon again?!?" After which she sighed and quitely walked out of the room. I just don't think she'll ever "get it". 1.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Dec 8th 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #20

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Dec 8th 2009, 2:20 AM) *

I caught Continuum towards the end, and I was so excited by it that I turned on the PS3 and streamed it from the begining with my Netflix.

sidenote: Steaming things on a netflix account with the PS3 is fantastic. It look about 3 minutes from the time I decided to see it til the time I was setting the Lion roar.

QUOTE(Shylodog @ Dec 8th 2009, 8:14 AM) *

Can you believe it's been more than a year since SG: Continuum came out? And better than a year and a half since AoT? Where does the time go? Oh, well if you follow your SG canon, it CAN fold back on itself and you can change history. smile.gif

But! To add to the topic here - watched Continuum again yesterday. My wife came in the room and asked, "Is there a Stargate marathon again?!?" After which she sighed and quitely walked out of the room. I just don't think she'll ever "get it". 1.gif

To me it feels like it's been several years already. I miss Stargate.

And yeah, some people just don't get it. Its hard to introduce new people to shows that have 300 combined episodes.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Dec 8th 2009, 2:16 PM
Post #21

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Shylodog @ Dec 8th 2009, 11:14 AM) *

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Dec 8th 2009, 11:27 AM) *

I caught Continuum towards the end, and I was so excited by it that I turned on the PS3 and streamed it from the begining with my Netflix.

sidenote: Steaming things on a netflix account with the PS3 is fantastic. It look about 3 minutes from the time I decided to see it til the time I was setting the Lion roar.
To me it feels like it's been several years already. I miss Stargate.

And yeah, some people just don't get it. Its hard to introduce new people to shows that have 300 combined episodes.

It has been two years and I miss it so much.

It took a few years, but I did get my husband involved with the SG stuff. I'm such a nerd about it, that whenever they had/have an all day marathon, I watch it. Hubby always asks me why, when I have the dvds, without commercials. My response, "it's Stargte!" wink.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 15th 2014 - 9:50 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.