Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate Atlantis only. Atlantis spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate SG-1 Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Atlantis Axed
Magnavox
post Aug 20th 2008, 9:13 PM
Post #1

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 3,724

Looks like the Pegasus Galaxy has been boned. Reports are that Stargate: Atlantis will finish at the end of season 5, and the franchise will carry on with a 2 hour tv movie.

Can't say I'm all that surprised with all the cast changes. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by magnavox: Aug 20th 2008, 9:21 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Aug 20th 2008, 9:22 PM
Post #2

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

This doesn't surprise me at all. They made too many mistakes to continue.
1. Waited too long to develop a character for Teyla, as one of the original characters
2. Killed off Becket, who was loved by so many fans
3. Let Weir go once she had changed and become the leader that she could be
4. Biggest mistake putting M & M in charge
5. Made the Wraith their enemy and they were so cliche and just not much of an enemy
6. Bringing in Keller to replace Becket and she just was not and is not a fit for this show
7. Bringing AT to the show, who I love, and not using her to the best of her ability, except for a couple of episodes
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Aug 20th 2008, 9:25 PM
Post #3

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,819

Well...interesting, guess the SG-1 cancellation softened this one as this one wasn't as hard. Guess maybe part of me saw it coming eventually. But at least it will mean the show will end when it is still running strong and in its prime based on the new episodes. I just hope they can come up with a relatively good last bunch of episodes that will end the overall story and structure well. I hope they don't just save all the arc resolving for the film like they did in SG-1 and have the couple of last episodes that don't quite fit as a result. The film should be treated almost like the last 3 episodes of a 23 episode season, rather then anything else. But still, I think Atlantis should resolve at the end of the movie, and not leave the possibility open for more. I think it should be the closing door episode. And let the franchise carry on with either SG-1 or Universe films/series.

But basically, as long as they tie up the stories well, and don't make it feel rushed and give it a good ending. I'll be happy.

Cast changes had nothing to do with it though really, the fact is audiences stuck with it. Sure some left, but not enough for that to be a cause. They were mistakes, but given Atlantis's ratings started to go down the same time as SG-1s and BSG's it wasn't a major play imo.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Aug 20th 2008, 9:29 PM
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Aug 20th 2008, 9:44 PM
Post #4

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,724

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Aug 20th 2008, 9:25 PM) *

Cast changes had nothing to do with it though really, the fact is audiences stuck with it. Sure some left, but not enough for that to be a cause. They were mistakes, but given Atlantis's ratings started to go down the same time as SG-1s and BSG's it wasn't a major play imo.

I concede your point, but we can't know for sure just how many people stopped watching after the cast changes, same as we cannot rely on the ratings as tangible proof of anything, considering how warped their findings are based on today's technology and their limited reach.

If anything, I'd take a guess at the major factor being the cost of production at this time.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Aug 20th 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #5

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

I disagree with IndyJan (not on all points), though I do think this was, perhaps, inevitable.

1) The Wraith could have been an excellent foe, but TPTB mishandled them, and then took too long to introduce complexities in their existence. That was a problem overall, I think... Lack of complexity. A lot of what happened in the show was predictable and too common. I don't expect the show to be up to Joss Whedon or Ron Moore's standards, but still, a little more effort perhaps?

2) TPTB also took too long to introduce the new enemies that they have. They are all good enemies, but we lived with the Wraith too long. At this point, though the Wraith have finally become interesting and good to watch, people are bored with them, beyond the point of redemption.

3) Lack of character development overall. Once again: I'm not expecting the intricacies of Battlestar Galactica or Babylon 5, but TPTB could have done a better job of writing character moments and development into the story. All of the momentous occasions should have in some way affected these characters, and in most instances, it seems to not have done anything of the sort.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like the show, and I like where they have gone with it. I don't particularly care that they killed off Beckett, and I like the Keller character, as well as Ronon.
Ford, I disliked because a Lieutenant shouldn't be so childish so often. We saw on more than one occasion that he could be a leader, but TPTB too often had him play the fool, and the comic relief in general.

There is huge potential in the Stargate universe. I think this show was mishandled. I don't think the direction was wrong or bad, I just think certain aspects should have been modified, though I don't know into what... sad.gif

EDIT: @ Mags: Yeah I agree... SciFi probably didn't want to foot the bill.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Aug 20th 2008, 11:36 PM
Post #6

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

Money is always the bottom line. SG1 had plenty of fans and it was cancelled because of cost. I don't know what scifi thinks. Any show they have is going to cost money to produce. I now fear for Eureka, as it gets better...
+Quote Post
Revan
post Aug 21st 2008, 12:08 AM
Post #7

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Aug 21st 2008, 12:36 AM) *

Money is always the bottom line. SG1 had plenty of fans and it was cancelled because of cost. I don't know what scifi thinks. Any show they have is going to cost money to produce. I now fear for Eureka, as it gets better...

Eureka is running 8 shows for the summer season and another 13 for the fall-winter-spring season.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Aug 21st 2008, 1:01 AM
Post #8

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

I do agree with everyone, money is a major factor.

I can see the writing on the wall for more Original SCI-FI movies of the week. rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
III3rdIIIEyeIII
post Aug 21st 2008, 2:01 AM
Post #9

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 18,057

SGA had plenty of fans, just a bunch of idiot fans downloading the Ep's off the torrent sites, and not watching it on an actual tv during the air time. The cast change every year was a bad omen, I expected at least one more year, I would have been happy with six seasons, five just doesnt sound like enough, unless the show is a 30 episode season show then 4 or 5 seasons is alright. Battlestar was only 4 seasons, but thats alright, they have the right amount of story and material to work with. I hope they just dont kill off the Wraith with some wide spread virus or something and five seconds later everyone of them is dead, or if Michael kills all the Wraith somehow then the Atlantis team kills him, or time travel fixed solution, anything already done better not be done. After Battlestar is over with I'm swearing off the Scifi channel for good, haha.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Aug 21st 2008, 3:45 AM
Post #10

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

I'm disappointed but not surprised by this news. It has been coming for some time now. I just hope that the writers have learnt from their mistakes so it is not made again in the future, mainly when this new Stargate series is released, that is if it goes ahead. I'm hoping now that Atlantis is over MGM might look more favorably on giving it the green light.
+Quote Post
Parmenides
post Aug 21st 2008, 4:45 AM
Post #11

Birds ate his face.
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,770

I'm not really all that surprised. I've lost interest in Atlantis over the past couple of seasons, I wouldn't even watch them live on TV. I'd record them and let them build up, but it just felt like a chore that I had to get through, before being spoiled for episodes I hadn't seen. I haven't even seen beyond the S5 opener at the moment. rolleyes.gif

I don't really think SGA was ever going to make it to the ten seasons that SG1 had. I'll be sad to see it go, but it's just not as good as it could have been.

(Weir sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Aug 21st 2008, 6:31 AM
Post #12

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

QUOTE(Revan @ Aug 21st 2008, 8:08 AM) *

Eureka is running 8 shows for the summer season and another 13 for the fall-winter-spring season.

Eureka gets some of the funding for this by being paid to not just have product placement but make it an essential part of the show for one of the episodes. I'll search for the link later. Personally I'd rather not watch something than have this blatant advertisement, Heroes and their car thingie got on my nerves to no end, and that was when I still enjoyed it.

As for the cancellation, as much as I don't like the cast changes and think the show deteriorated overall ever since M&M became in charge, I'm pretty sure it would ahve been cancelled either way, even if it was still run by Brad Wright and had Weir and Beckett.

The success of the SG1 make MGM want more movies, plus BW and rCC are working on the third television series - everyone made it quite clear that making two shows at the same time was a bit too much for them, and 2 shows + movies is impossible and one of the projects would have to be delayed - or SGa cancelled.

This post has been edited by Pitry: Aug 21st 2008, 6:31 AM
+Quote Post
JC1
post Aug 21st 2008, 8:54 AM
Post #13

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 342

A bit disappointing, but not really surprising news. Sure there were flaws with Atlantis, mostly with character development or lack off. And they never really developed a decent villain either. But theyíre some good episodes and lot of the entertaining adventures through the gate.

Still, thereís going to be at least one Atlantis movie, and from what Iíve read, there are definite plans for another SG1 movie and a new series, so itís still looking pretty good for the Stargate franchise.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Aug 21st 2008, 10:00 AM
Post #14

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Aug 21st 2008, 5:36 AM) *

Eureka hit pretty big numbers in the premiere this year, I don't think it's going anywhere. Plus not being set in outer space it is cheaper then Stargate. But the premiere got a 2.1 rating this year, SGA's been averaging 1.3.

And it took me less then 12 hours after the cancellation announcement to be sent a link to a petition rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Aug 21st 2008, 10:01 AM
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Aug 21st 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #15

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

It was to be expected, they were lucky to get a fifth season. At least they will reach 100 episodes though. It will be interesting to see what happens with Universe now, I don't expect that will ever go into production, the focus will be on the DVD movies.
+Quote Post
TheCordler
post Aug 21st 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #16

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,086

I must say that it is expected, the ratings were droping steady for awhile and then leveled off at a low of 1.2 average which i think told MGM and SCi-fi that it was time to move on.

Atlantis also seemed to suffer a curse of rotating actors, first ford -> ronin, Beckett -> keller, wier -> Carter, and then Carter -> woosley.

SGA was supposed to be about discovering the ancient origins and mystery of atlantis, which never turned out in any form of media. We know atlantis isn't unique, and has nothing of value seeing as 5yrs later its just a empty city with shields, space travel, and teleporters. The signifigance of atlantis itself is severely downplayed after season 2, the enemy that made the ancients quiver were never shown to be anything more than loons, heck again SG-1 damaged that by showing the ORI as being a real threat to the ancients.

the show is a classic example of dropping the ball on story, characters, and ect... i'm hoping that with a break from SG that the writers will again surprise us when SGU comes out.
+Quote Post
Parmenides
post Aug 21st 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #17

Birds ate his face.
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,770

QUOTE(magnavox @ Aug 21st 2008, 3:13 AM) *

Can't say I'm all that surprised with all the cast changes. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Aug 21st 2008, 3:22 AM) *

This doesn't surprise me at all.

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Aug 21st 2008, 3:25 AM) *

Guess maybe part of me saw it coming eventually.

QUOTE(Revan @ Aug 21st 2008, 5:22 AM) *

I do think this was, perhaps, inevitable.

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Aug 21st 2008, 9:45 AM) *

I'm disappointed but not surprised by this news.

QUOTE(Parmenides @ Aug 21st 2008, 10:45 AM) *

I'm not really all that surprised.

QUOTE(JC1 @ Aug 21st 2008, 2:54 PM) *

A bit disappointing, but not really surprising news.

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Aug 21st 2008, 5:48 PM) *

It was to be expected, they were lucky to get a fifth season.

QUOTE(TheCordler @ Aug 21st 2008, 5:58 PM) *

I must say that it is expected...

laugh.gif What a difference in reaction to when SG1 was cancelled.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Aug 21st 2008, 1:05 PM
Post #18

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Parmenides @ Aug 21st 2008, 6:25 PM) *

Read the comments on Joe M's blog and you'll get about 300 people crying and saying how it's ruined their life rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Aug 21st 2008, 1:29 PM
+Quote Post
jacksworld
post Aug 21st 2008, 1:24 PM
Post #19

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,030

This is very disapointing. I was hoping they could make it to another season. I think there is still so much they could have done. I think the low ratings are due to how sci fi schedules the show. IT they scheduled Atlantis on a different day the ratings may be different....but at least they will still continue making movies for both sg1 and atlantis.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Aug 21st 2008, 5:15 PM
Post #20

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

personally i am really p**sed at m&m for once again mishandling a great show. now i must admit some of the new ones have been good and to be honest i have always liked atlantis more than sg1 (i love the ancient tech) but i am really mad that its gonna be cancelled the stargate franchise should be more than just a few movies every year
i just hope universe gets the green light and that they don't let m&m anywhere near the set or writing scripts.
they are saying that it costs more to make in vancover well then why not relocate to somewhere else where it would be a lot cheaper to produce. maybe somewhere in europe or america hell move to india for all i care as long as i get my stargate fix weekly smile.gif

This post has been edited by lancelot2: Aug 21st 2008, 5:18 PM
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Aug 21st 2008, 7:05 PM
Post #21

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Parmenides @ Aug 21st 2008, 12:25 PM) *

It's a huge difference, isn't it? My one thought is that they appear to want to continue with SG1 movies. I'm not too sure about SGA movies. I haven't purchased SGA dvds, so I probably wouldn't purchase a movie on DVD. Whereas with SG1, I have all 10 season and now both movies. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Aug 21st 2008, 8:31 PM
Post #22

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Aug 22nd 2008, 1:05 AM) *

It's a huge difference, isn't it? My one thought is that they appear to want to continue with SG1 movies. I'm not too sure about SGA movies. I haven't purchased SGA dvds, so I probably wouldn't purchase a movie on DVD. Whereas with SG1, I have all 10 season and now both movies. smile.gif

But, this movie will be on Sci-Fi anyway, so you won't need to purchase it smile.gif Sg-1 was just starting a new story though, the Ori, they were new and fresh and ended earlier then they should have as a result of the cancellation. Atlantis doesn't have that, it's good but there are no major story arcs you're watching it for, so what if the Wraith live or don't. Atlantis has an opportunity to end well though, by its own terms if they handle it right. Hopefully they will, and not just 'never end' the story on the potential of more films.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Aug 21st 2008, 9:23 PM
Post #23

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Aug 21st 2008, 8:05 PM) *

I still haven't bought Continuum though. I saw it, but it wasn't good enough, imo, to buy and watch more than once.

I do, on the other hand, have all seasons of both shows.

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Aug 21st 2008, 9:31 PM) *

But, this movie will be on Sci-Fi anyway, so you won't need to purchase it smile.gif Sg-1 was just starting a new story though, the Ori, they were new and fresh and ended earlier then they should have as a result of the cancellation. Atlantis doesn't have that, it's good but there are no major story arcs you're watching it for, so what if the Wraith live or don't. Atlantis has an opportunity to end well though, by its own terms if they handle it right. Hopefully they will, and not just 'never end' the story on the potential of more films.

We don't know what will happen during this season. It is possible new major story-arcs will begin, and then be cut off by its cancellation.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Aug 21st 2008, 9:34 PM
Post #24

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Aug 21st 2008, 9:23 PM) *

I still haven't bought Continuum though. I saw it, but it wasn't good enough, imo, to buy and watch more than once.

I do, on the other hand, have all seasons of both shows.
We don't know what will happen during this season. It is possible new major story-arcs will begin, and then be cut off by its cancellation.

Truly, I think Continuum was awesome and I loved it! I will continue to purchase any SG1 straight to DVD movies.

Questions regarding SGA, have they finished taping the season, or do they still have 3-4 more to go so that they can come to some kind of conclusion? They tried to do some with the cancellation of SG1, but they really did need that movie AoT.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 24th 2014 - 9:11 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.