JTMAG1
post Jul 25th 2008, 4:17 PM
Post #25

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Auntie Em! @ Jul 25th 2008, 1:24 PM) *

Well I am glad Amanda Tapping is no longer on the show. I love her but her character does not lead itself to the kinds of stories and interactions that Woosleys character will. Sides I love him.

Robert Picardo does not like long scenes where he has lots of dialog and it is painfully obvious. He does not know how to end a scene such as the last on in this episode where the dialog ended and he is standing at Sheps bedside. He looks like he feels awkward and uncomfortable about what to do with himself so he tends to cross his arms or play with props.
I hope he is able to feel better as the shows go along so that he can enjoy himself.

Boy Indy I am with you on the Dr Beckett thing. God it was good to see him again. Really good. Wow I did not realize I missed him so much. Maybe they could bring him back some how. Jewel Straite character is not deep enough.

Yes, he looks like he is borrowing someone else's skin. Some people just don't look comfortable at all, ever. I have a friend that doesn't look comfortable at his own house, let alone the car, or at work. It reminds me to Woolsey.

I think Jack is the opposite way. Sometimes he looked too comfortable. Which is great. I wonder, how does a high ranking military officer get like that...?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jul 25th 2008, 4:24 PM
Post #26

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

What I get upset about is that M & M make knee-jerk, spontanous decisions that are not well thought out, for instance getting rid of Weir and killing off Beckett. The Beckett one was especially wrong. They knew that he was well liked, so much that they added him to the opening credits. There was no reason to get rid of him, "just oh we wanted to shake things up." I think it backfired on them. Keller is not a good mix for this show. She's too young, no matter how they explained it. She panics everytime there is a medical crisis. She becomes whiny and at times seems not to know what to do. If they brought Beckett back full time, I would be happy. I won't like that he's a "clone," but I'll love having him back where he belongs.

I think they felt, hey a female doctor worked on SG1, so lets do it again. Keller is not Fraser in any way, shape or form and she never could be. They just plain blew it.

I will keep an open mind to Woolsey, but he has to change. He has to realize that business cannot be by the book at times. When you are dealing with alien races, alien technology and alien diseases, in another galaxy, you have to be able to make snap decisions, right then and there.

As far as Weir, she grew on me. they had her grow and become a strong, decision leader. The only backpedaled her in season 3 because they wanted to bring AT over to lead Atlantis. If they find ReplicatorWeir, and she's not evil, I would be open to her coming back and leading Atlantis.

Having a cloned Beckett as COS and having ReplicatorWeir as the leader of Atlantis, would definitely set it apart from any other show. wink.gif
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Jul 28th 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #27

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jul 26th 2008, 12:24 AM) *

What I get upset about is that M & M make knee-jerk, spontanous decisions that are not well thought out, for instance getting rid of Weir and killing off Beckett.

You know, I always start these posts with "'m the last person to defend M&M" and then I find myself defending them...
The decision to kill off Beckett wasn't theirs, it was brad Wright's - that's why they brought him back. Which, IMO, is a mistake - don't get me wrong, I love Beckett, but it's about time characters in Stargate stay dead.
Getting ri of Weir was, however, them. crying.gif
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jul 28th 2008, 3:01 PM
Post #28

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pitry @ Jul 28th 2008, 12:06 PM) *

You know, I always start these posts with "'m the last person to defend M&M" and then I find myself defending them...
The decision to kill off Beckett wasn't theirs, it was brad Wright's - that's why they brought him back. Which, IMO, is a mistake - don't get me wrong, I love Beckett, but it's about time characters in Stargate stay dead.
Getting ri of Weir was, however, them. crying.gif

Are you sure, because I thought I remembered that M & M were involved in the decision of beckett, and then said, if the fans wanted him back, they would do it.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jul 28th 2008, 3:33 PM
Post #29

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jul 28th 2008, 9:01 PM) *

Are you sure, because I thought I remembered that M & M were involved in the decision of beckett, and then said, if the fans wanted him back, they would do it.

Brad Wright and Rob Cooper were in charge of Atlantis at that point, and this came from the top. M+M were probably as involved in it as any of the other writers, but I don't believe it was their decision either. Given that Brad Wright was primarily in charge of Atlantis (Rob was primarily in charge of SG-1) it was likely his decision, or he would have had to approve it.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Jul 28th 2008, 3:33 PM
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Jul 29th 2008, 9:25 AM
Post #30

Colonel
Group Icon

I'm also lookin at it the other way round. Someone - can't remember who - made once a comment about BW being Weir's biggest champion on Atlantis etc. Well, Weir stayed til the en of season 3, and was gone the second BW stopped being show-runner. Which would suggest all decisions made on season3, including Beckett, are ultimately made by him and RCC.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jul 29th 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #31

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Pitry @ Jul 29th 2008, 3:25 PM) *

I'm also lookin at it the other way round. Someone - can't remember who - made once a comment about BW being Weir's biggest champion on Atlantis etc.

That was Joe Mallozzi wink.gif He said in one of his blog entries roughly 'Weir was always greatly supported by Brad Wright, who created the character in the first place, and the person who was behind the episodes such as The Real World and The Long Goodbye, and made sure Weir was always included in the story' and then about two sentences later 'when we were looking to plan the fourth season was when the decision to change Weir came and to reduce her.' He probably meant it in a good way, but all I took from it was the first thing he did in charge was get rid of Weir the first chance he got.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jul 29th 2008, 1:23 PM
Post #32

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pitry @ Jul 29th 2008, 9:25 AM) *

I'm also lookin at it the other way round. Someone - can't remember who - made once a comment about BW being Weir's biggest champion on Atlantis etc. Well, Weir stayed til the en of season 3, and was gone the second BW stopped being show-runner. Which would suggest all decisions made on season3, including Beckett, are ultimately made by him and RCC.

Which is why I said M & M about Beckett, because they were co-bosses and then were going to be in charge during season 4, and no one else.
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Jul 29th 2008, 3:03 PM
Post #33

Colonel
Group Icon

They weren't co-bosses on season 3, though, and that's when the decision to kill Beckett was. I'm rpetty sure that if they were Paul McGillion would have still been a regular.

As for the JM quote - sigh! Yes, I read it the same. They took the first opportunity they ahd to get rid of the character. No wonder Torri Higginson is unwilling to come back.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Aug 26th 2008, 3:20 PM
Post #34

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

This wasn't such a bad episode. The premise was quite good, something that needed answering IMO and there were other aspects that I was pleased with. I wasn't expecting much from Woolsey but he certainly wasn't a bad character (so far!). It was good to see Carson again though he looked a hell of a lot like Lorne in some scenes.
I would have liked to have more from the main cast, it almost seemed like this was filmed by a second unit while the main cast were busy on another episode.
+Quote Post
JC1
post Aug 26th 2008, 3:46 PM
Post #35

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 342

It was an ok episode. It was interesting to see how hive ships are grown. I wonder if they always use human hosts, and if the hive ship retains its consciousness.

At least there was some explanation as to why Carter was replaced. But Woolsey really doesnít seem like the right choice for a leader. While it was nice to have Beckett back, I donít really like the whole Beckett situation. It was mistake to kill him off they way they did, but I think he should have stayed dead. Having his clone show up from time to time seems like the writers are just taking the easy way out, instead of owning up to a bad decision and moving on.

One other thing that struck me during conference room scene is why is it that Sheppard seems to be the only one spared the embarrassment of wearing the Atlantis uniforms?
+Quote Post
ferretlady
post Sep 5th 2008, 11:16 AM
Post #36

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 17,740

[quote name='IndyJan' date='Jul 25th 2008, 10:24 PM' post='479076'
and killing off Beckett. The Beckett one was especially wrong. They knew that he was well liked, so much that they added him to the opening credits. There was no reason to get rid of him, "just oh we wanted to shake things up." I think it backfired on them. Keller is not a good mix for this show. She's too young, no matter how they explained it. She panics everytime there is a medical crisis. She becomes whiny and at times seems not to know what to do. If they brought Beckett back full time, I would be happy. I won't like that he's a "clone," but I'll love having him back where he belongs.
I will keep an open mind to Woolsey, but he has to change. He has to realize that business cannot be by the book at times. When you are dealing with alien races, alien technology and alien diseases, in another galaxy, you have to be able to make snap decisions, right then and there.
If they find ReplicatorWeir, and she's not evil, I would be open to her coming back and leading Atlantis.
Having a cloned Beckett as COS and having ReplicatorWeir as the leader of Atlantis, would definitely set it apart from any other show. wink.gif
[/quote]

Ok I agree with you that killing Beckett was one of their more stupid moves. I also think that you`re a bit hard on Keller, yes she was a whiney scardey cat at first but she grew, n olike you said she`s only young and was an over achiever, so isolated from real life throughout her life n now she has to face not just normal life with normal problems but things for which there is no name as well. No. I`m not a fan of Keller but give the girl a chance, she is growing. And over achievers do find it hard to settle in, in general. Yes I do know some. As for bringing Beckett back full time n in charge; yes please.
I don`t think I`d have to much of a problem with him being a clone, he is the same even though there are bound to be some minor differences.
As for Woolsey, wellk he seems to have already worked that out for himself, that the rule book doesn`t neccessaryly work there.
I would doubt very much that replicator Weir would ever be alloud to run Atlantis as there would always in the back of their minds hang the thread that she might turn, whereas Beckett is just a clone and his problem is both known and basically sorted, so he could theoretically resume his duties. Which would be lovely. We`ll just have to wait n see. whistling.gif

[quote name='*thumbs up*' date='Jul 19th 2008, 7:08 PM' post='479010']

I liked the humor in this episode too "If she's in there sleeping...or naked or something..."

And Keller getting better before John? That didn't make much sense to me, but whatever. Having Beckett back was like Godly Amazing. I miss him so much, bring him back. He was such a worth it character. So friendly, funny, nice, accepting, and a good person who didn't deserve to be cloned! *steam* I love that guy.

Yeah that line was rather funny.
As for Keller getting better it does in a
wired way make sense to me. She had a virus that was nutralized and therefore the strands that were attached to her were as ,Beckett said, just like a dead tree trunk, terefore easy to remove. Like I said in a wired way it males sense.
Shame though that Beckett had to leave.
John saying " I have 2 doctors lokking after me" Beckett`s reply went something like " no not unless there is a major crisis in the next hour" I thought was funny ish.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 1st 2014 - 6:27 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.