Rating  5
Arcady
post Feb 22nd 2008, 7:54 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 4, Episode 18 - The Kindred (Part One)
Air date: February 22, 2008

Teyla continues to search for her people; a mysterious illness sweeps through the galaxy.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Feb 22nd 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #2

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,304

I believe this was a fair episode. It wasn't spectacular but it had good moments.

(I loved Rodney's gift to Teyla, priceless.)

I predicted Michael was behind everything just before he was seen. The moment Todd said he knew who it was be process of elimination (plus we knew it was somehow Wraith related yet not necessarily a Wraith), something made me think of Michael and there he was just a moment later.

I feel like Teyla has hit an all time low. I felt so bad for her the entire time...

And of course, we come to the discovery of a Carson... We know there was a replicator Carson, so my guess would be that they are the same, but I guess I have to wait until next time...
+Quote Post
Janos
post Feb 22nd 2008, 11:33 PM
Post #3

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,403

Well, after the plot-hole riddled last episode, this one was surprisingly not bad. As long as we don't have to see the Wraith/Eratus Bug/Humanoid thing, I think Michael is an interesting character to bring around. Has some potential. We'll see what they do with it. Ever since Mobius, I'm a little wary of two-parters. I'm going to reserve judgement until next week!

Oh, and on the preview of next week, they said "Is it really Carson or is it another Replicator?" Umm... Duh? The real Carson turned into a charred corpse. I liked Carson a lot and I'm glad to see him again, but c'mon... Is there ANY way they can bring him back WITHOUT him being a RepliCarson?

The Nielsen Ratings guys contacted me and sent me a booklet, so I made sure to mark down Atlantis tonight! Score one for SGA! w00t.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 23rd 2008, 3:27 AM
Post #4

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

I rather liked this episode.

I'm thinking Michael stole the Hoffan documents so (clone-Beckett?) could refine the drug further.

I felt fairly bad, though I could see it coming, when Teyla came face-to-face with what was left of her boyfriend.

I wonder what Michael has in mind for Teyla's baby... it all sounded rather ominous.

I definitely saw the trader's double-cross coming. That was good acting, with all the nervous glances, as if he were waiting for something to happen.

What was the point of having all those scavenger children running around? Why was it necessary to the plot?
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 23rd 2008, 3:57 AM
Post #5

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

It became quite obvious that it was Michael once Todd showed up. So has he turned Teyla's people, or at the very least Kanaan, into some kind of hybrid? Or had he just fed off him for awhile?

Those poor Hoffan people. With Beckett's help they came up with that virus, gave it to their people, killed half their people and still the Wraith destroyed them. They couldn't feed of them, but they did kill them.

I did enjoy seeing Lorne on this one. I do love that man.

They have been showing Sam with long hair, but I believe this was the first episode where they showed her with long hair, in a ponytail braid. I remember speculating that they would allow her hair to be longer because the military isn't quite as strict. Sam alluded to that in Midway with Teal'c. I did like the interaction between Sam and Teyla and Sam asking her to call her Sam.

I think everyone knows how I feel about Beckett. It would have been more of a surprise if the sci-fi channel hadn't ruined the return with last week's preview. Of course they have been showing it all week on the sci-fi channel as well.

We know that the "real" Beckett is dead. So of course this is a clone, replicator, or asuran. The only thing not known is whether he is evil or not. I'll be really ticked off if they only brought Beckett back to turn him evil. mad.gif

I did rather enjoy Rodney giving the baby gift to Teyla and his explanation for it. Then he noticed she was rather upset and asked why. He immediately sat down to listen. Good job, Rodney. smile.gif
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Feb 23rd 2008, 5:09 AM
Post #6

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

well the only thing i can think of with beckett that doesn't involve cloning/asurans would be if an ancient similar to oma helped him ascend?
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 23rd 2008, 8:29 AM
Post #7

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 23rd 2008, 3:57 AM) *

It became quite obvious that it was Michael once Todd showed up. So has he turned Teyla's people, or at the very least Kanaan, into some kind of hybrid? Or had he just fed off him for awhile?

Well you could see from his face that he had been turned into a hybrid. He had those odd little slits that Michael has, and that Wraith have more definitely.

I wonder how he was able to brainwash them... unless it is a side effect of the transformation.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Feb 23rd 2008, 9:13 AM
Post #8

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

Holy... blink.gif

Since I haven't seen any preview or read any spoiler of this episode, the ending was so unexpected and good. I couldn't even begin to speculate that it would end with Carson in that cell. rolleyes.gif

The first part of the episode was kind of slow, and it gave this episode a different dynamic, a certain "acceleration" of events towards the end. The beginning was pretty interesting, and, as the plot unfolded, it became more and more interesting, until BANG! If this would have been a season finale I would have destroyed something around me. 1.gif

Again, very interesting to see yet another "new" race. I didn't really expect Michael to have his own race either, and I wonder what his plans with Teyla's child are.

Can't wait for part two. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Ghostdraconi
post Feb 23rd 2008, 11:40 AM
Post #9

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,964

I like Michael's reasoning, no one would be his friend so he made his own biggrin.gif . I really hope this new hybrid race turns out to a credible threat since the Asurans are gone, the Genii are a joke and the Wraith are busy with their infighting.
The Hybrids have to potential to be very dangerous since they wouldn't have to worry about destroying their food supply.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Feb 23rd 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #10

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

Michaels gone goth laugh.gif Was the first thing I thought when I saw him!

QUOTE(Janos @ Feb 23rd 2008, 4:33 AM) *

The Nielsen Ratings guys contacted me and sent me a booklet, so I made sure to mark down Atlantis tonight! Score one for SGA! w00t.gif

Nice one! smile.gif

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 23rd 2008, 8:57 AM) *

It became quite obvious that it was Michael once Todd showed up.

I figured it out once the actors name appeared just after the start credits, there are downsides to knowing a lot about the show. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Feb 23rd 2008, 10:09 AM) *

well the only thing i can think of with beckett that doesn't involve cloning/asurans would be if an ancient similar to oma helped him ascend?

No he didn't, he was blown up, they said they were sending his body back to the SGC (he wouldn't have a body if he ascended) and he had no connection to the ascended anyway. The repli-clone idea is the only real way really. That was probably one of the main reasons they had 'This Mortal Coil' as an episode.

As for the twist, I did know Beckett would be in the episode, but I figured it would have been in a bigger role then this. It was a good twist though, but yeah if Sci-Fi put that in their adverts then most people will probably see that coming rolleyes.gif It would raise audience figures though more then likely so I'm not too sure where I am on that decision. (But yeah it's something I'd rather not know, but it was a spoiler that circulated around the internet pretty rapidly months ago)

As for the episode, a good one, it felt like it was bringing all the arcs back, and quite well as well. But I'm glad to see Teyla's people thing revisited, as well as the baby. I was worried that once she had the baby the show would take a similar direction to most shows and just have them take a backrole to the story and not really come into it again. But Michael saying he had plans for it hopefully indicates that it will serve more of a purpose then just as Teylas own personal character story.

But yeah it was a very good episode, and I'm glad they're bringing back old plots like the Hoffans as well, and Beckett. But part two should be good, one of the shows current best writers is penning next weeks too.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Feb 23rd 2008, 11:51 AM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 23rd 2008, 2:35 PM
Post #11

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Feb 23rd 2008, 11:47 AM) *

No he didn't, he was blown up, they said they were sending his body back to the SGC (he wouldn't have a body if he ascended) and he had no connection to the ascended anyway. The repli-clone idea is the only real way really. That was probably one of the main reasons they had 'This Mortal Coil' as an episode.

But if Beckett is a repli-clone, how did Michael acquire him? How would Michael have even know there was a such thing as repli-clones? What would the point of the Asuran rebels creating him?
+Quote Post
dr lee
post Feb 23rd 2008, 4:02 PM
Post #12

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,109

Mallozzi (Yeah him) has said that the Beckett that we see here isn't a clone, Desended Beckett or a replicarson.

It is the real deal you saw there at the end.

It's speculated heavily that the Carson we saw getting BBQ'd was infact a Clone and that the REAL Carson had been switched sometime before then. When i don't know, but Becketts comments screamed of 'Hostage' rather than 'Clone'

Hopefully we'll fiund out next week

Loved Todds response to Ronon saying they were there to kill him laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Sighfienerd
post Feb 23rd 2008, 7:49 PM
Post #13

Beyond here there be dragons
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,150

I thought this episode was such fun! I had just been thinking to myself last week that I wished Michael would come back - voila! There he was! biggrin.gif

I hope he's going to be around for a while - I always thought the relationship between he and Teyla was an interesting one and his standing as a "hybrid" was fraught with lots of possiblities. Then the whole Carson thing! Like Dr. Lee, that was totally unexpected for me too, but what a hoot! It's going to be fun to see where they're going with this.

I was thinking Carson was probably some sort of clone because I thought they were going to tie in the "lost" children as being clones of adults that had been wiped out by the plague or whatever.

I'm anticipating next week - I really like the Todd, Michael, Carson arc.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 23rd 2008, 8:20 PM
Post #14

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 23rd 2008, 8:29 AM) *

Well you could see from his face that he had been turned into a hybrid. He had those odd little slits that Michael has, and that Wraith have more definitely.

I wonder how he was able to brainwash them... unless it is a side effect of the transformation.

Okay, I only have a small screen, so I kind of missed the slits on Kanaan's face. I'm assuming that once they have become a hybrid that they become brainwashed. Kanaan was all for everything that Michael wanted to do.

So Teyla's child will be Athosisan, but have the Wraith DNA from both her and Kanaan. We have never seen a Wraith baby. We only saw the Wraith child during season 2, I believe. We have speculated about how they procreate, if at all. I'm thinking that for Michael this baby is it because of the Wraith DNA acquired from both Teyla and Kanaan.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 23rd 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #15

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(dr lee @ Feb 23rd 2008, 4:02 PM) *

Mallozzi (Yeah him) has said that the Beckett that we see here isn't a clone, Desended Beckett or a replicarson.

It is the real deal you saw there at the end.

It's speculated heavily that the Carson we saw getting BBQ'd was infact a Clone and that the REAL Carson had been switched sometime before then. When i don't know, but Becketts comments screamed of 'Hostage' rather than 'Clone'

I thought JM didn't rule out cloning.

So then there is a theory that dictates Michael stole the original Carson to work on the Hoffan drug sometime before the events in Sunday? That he was cloned so he would not be missed?

He could be a clone and still a hostage, given what the Asurans were able to do.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Feb 24th 2008, 1:49 AM
Post #16

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 23rd 2008, 8:29 AM) *

When the Wraith who converted to humans, they had their memories supressed, perhaps Michael used a similar method to brainwash...

QUOTE(dr lee @ Feb 23rd 2008, 4:02 PM) *

Loved Todds response to Ronon saying they were there to kill him laugh.gif

I thought that was hilarious. As well as Ronan telling Rodney that he was going to buy him one of the trinkets laugh.gif. Ronans charater has been doing some pretty funny things lately.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 24th 2008, 2:12 AM
Post #17

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Feb 24th 2008, 1:49 AM) *

I thought that was hilarious. As well as Ronan telling Rodney that he was going to buy him one of the trinkets laugh.gif. Ronans charater has been doing some pretty funny things lately.

Yes he has, and I said in the Midway episode thread that I loved his silliness and his smile at the end with Shep. When he first came on he was extremely serious and focused, "kill the wraith." He has now unbent somewhat, and I really like it.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Feb 24th 2008, 2:24 AM
Post #18

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 24th 2008, 2:12 AM) *

Yes he has, and I said in the Midway episode thread that I loved his silliness and his smile at the end with Shep. When he first came on he was extremely serious and focused, "kill the wraith." He has now unbent somewhat, and I really like it.

I like it too. It adds a dynamic to his character. He is more comfortable in his new home.
I think I first noticed during the funeral scene when he asked if the food was free, and then he told John that there was food.
+Quote Post
Shiegurl
post Feb 24th 2008, 2:30 AM
Post #19

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,554

WOW w00t.gif

What an Episode. Todd, Michael and Carson all in one.

I'm not a Big fan of Tayla (no offence to those who like her) but those three made the show worth while.

I haven't been paying attention to spoilers lately and haven't seen any previews so it was a big surprise to see both Michael and Carson.

I noticed no one threw the theory of Carson from another universe?? Seeming McKay had A visit from himself not long ago. though it is sci-fi 1.gif

I've found Atlantis to be very ... um.... whats the word.... Sloryless (couldn't think of one) All mini stories, no biggies. But now...

! ! ! w00t.gif WOW w00t.gif ! ! !

+Quote Post
droid327
post Feb 24th 2008, 6:24 AM
Post #20

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,306

A) SciFi TOTALLY ruined it with their spoiler-teaser. If they had just teased us with "an old friend returns" or something along those lines then that would have gotten us watching. It wasnt even as if they find Carson about halfway through and the story develops from there. They gave away the shock twist cliffhanger ending a week before the episode. Epic fail for SciFi Marketing: The People who Pitched ECW...

B) Am I the only one who cant seem to follow all the Wraith politics? All the Wraith look the same to me (does that make me racist? Wraith-cist?) and I lose track of all the "Todd helped us here, but then he betrayed us to the wraith queen, then this other wraith betrayed him, then everyone betrayed Michael, who was a wraith and then he wasnt and now kinda is again", and when its all said and done Steve was behind everything....

C) Fanatical following trying to "cleanse" a galaxy? A newborn baby of two worlds being used as a symbol and device for plans of galactic conquest? I know there's not much SG1 didnt already do at some point or another, but come on...by the end of S5 and the SG1 movies, Teyla's young son will end up hitting on Adria and grow up and marry her, but eventually will fall to the dark side when he thinks Adria betrayed him to Obi-wan...

edit: overall I did like the episode. I thought the whole bit with everyone doubting Teyla's visions seemed a little incongruous after she showed such increased sensitivity with the baby when fighting with the queen, but other than that the episode was well paced and well set up. Great to see more of Lorne - and great to see him showing a little more character in the interrogation scene than the kinda generic, B-squad "perfectly competent yet nondescript military leader" that you can always count on when you need something taken care of largely off-screen or when your prinicpals are doing something more important smile.gif

Really hope they keep the finale from getting too complex and Pirates 3-ish with all the plots-within-plots and backstabbing. I mean, by now, its not like Atlantis should ever expect the Wraith not to backstab them, and its not like the Wraith should ever expect Atlantis not to expect them to backstab them once they've got what they want. It'll be so much easier to follow once they both start being honest. Seems like Todd gets it at least.

This post has been edited by droid327: Feb 24th 2008, 6:41 AM
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Feb 24th 2008, 6:28 AM
Post #21

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 23rd 2008, 7:35 PM) *

But if Beckett is a repli-clone, how did Michael acquire him? How would Michael have even know there was a such thing as repli-clones? What would the point of the Asuran rebels creating him?

Well that's what next week's episode will tell us smile.gif

QUOTE(dr lee @ Feb 23rd 2008, 9:02 PM) *

No he didn't.

speculated heavily that the Carson we saw getting BBQ'd was infact a Clone and that the REAL Carson had been switched sometime before then.

That's quite an interesting theory actually....

i don't know, but Becketts comments screamed of 'Hostage' rather than 'Clone'

Beckett if he is a clone may not know it, as in he can still think he's a hostage if he's a clone.

Kanaans face it took me a minute before I noticed the slits as well, he is in the same place Michael is in now.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 24th 2008, 7:54 AM
Post #22

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(droid327 @ Feb 24th 2008, 6:24 AM) *

B) Am I the only one who cant seem to follow all the Wraith politics? All the Wraith look the same to me (does that make me racist? Wraith-cist?) and I lose track of all the "Todd helped us here, but then he betrayed us to the wraith queen, then this other wraith betrayed him, then everyone betrayed Michael, who was a wraith and then he wasnt and now kinda is again", and when its all said and done Steve was behind everything....

C) Fanatical following trying to "cleanse" a galaxy? A newborn baby of two worlds being used as a symbol and device for plans of galactic conquest? I know there's not much SG1 didnt already do at some point or another, but come on...by the end of S5 and the SG1 movies, Teyla's young son will end up hitting on Adria and grow up and marry her, but eventually will fall to the dark side when he thinks Adria betrayed him to Obi-wan...

B) Probably. whistling.gif

C) A "baby of two worlds?" To what two worlds does Teyla's child belong? Kanaan was a human when they concieved, and Teyla doesn't have very much wraith DNA within. It is possible Michael is looking for the most natural way to bridge the gap between human and wraith, though he seems to have already done that rather well.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Feb 24th 2008, 8:14 AM
Post #23

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(droid327 @ Feb 24th 2008, 11:24 AM) *
Epic fail for SciFi Marketing: The People who Pitched ECW...

Well, it probably got more people to watch, so wasn't an epic fail really... just bad for the fans that DO watch but you can guarantee that would encourage people to watch it, and drive up ratings smile.gif

QUOTE(droid327 @ Feb 24th 2008, 11:24 AM) *
) Am I the only one who cant seem to follow all the Wraith politics? All the Wraith look the same to me (does that make me racist? Wraith-cist?)

That may be because they usually use the same few actors to play the Wraith, it's cheaper and easier smile.gif

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 24th 2008, 12:54 PM) *

C) A "baby of two worlds?" To what two worlds does Teyla's child belong? Kanaan was a human when they concieved, and Teyla doesn't have very much wraith DNA within. It is possible Michael is looking for the most natural way to bridge the gap between human and wraith, though he seems to have already done that rather well.

I still wouldn't be suprised if Michael had some involvement in the pegnancy somehow, or did something to it. Let's face it there is something about the baby specifically that Michael is interested in, not just any baby but that one.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 24th 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #24

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Feb 24th 2008, 8:14 AM) *

I still wouldn't be suprised if Michael had some involvement in the pegnancy somehow, or did something to it. Let's face it there is something about the baby specifically that Michael is interested in, not just any baby but that one.

Well we saw that Teyla has a lot more telepathic ability now that she is pregnant with the baby. Maybe it has something to do with that? unsure.gif
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 23rd 2014 - 1:41 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.