post Feb 16th 2008, 12:15 AM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 4, Episode 17 - Midway
Air date: February 15, 2008

Colonel Carter asks Teal'c to serve as Ronon Dex's mentor before his suitability review by the IOA.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Reignfire
post Feb 16th 2008, 12:59 AM
Post #2

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,640

Great episode, especially after the last few. My only real complaint for this episode is: WTF is with having practically no security at the Midway station? I realize there was little reason for concern, but it should have had at least an iris/idc system.

My minor complaints are only that they brought back the annoying guy (who wasn't killed sad.gif ) and Sheppard hanging on the wall in the space suit. Wouldn't he of had to taken it off the wall to get in it?

I have to say, I loved the Teal'c/Ronon interactions. The whole "you say 'indeed' a lot" was great, it's been 11 years coming. It would be funny if Ronon starts saying it.

OMG, why does TPTB always spoil the next episode!?! They could have kept
» Click to Show Spoiler «
return secret. I realize they do this to try to draw people in for ratings, but still?
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 16th 2008, 1:11 AM
Post #3

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

Great episode.

I liked the action, though I wonder why they chose to destroy the station... Does this mean something perilous will happen soon?

I am sad that Cavanaugh has managed to survive... yet again.

I almost didn't recognize the actor playing the cowardly IOA rep, with his short hair and lack of spectacles.
+Quote Post
NewbieSGfan
post Feb 16th 2008, 2:08 AM
Post #4

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,631

The action was good. biggrin.gif

But I have to agree. The complete lack of security at Midway seemed iffy. Yeah, okay, no one is "supposed" to know that it exists, so the risk may have been minimal, but come on. How difficult is it to remember one more IDC code to punch in before going to Midway?

The fact that the Wraith infiltrated the program so easily at the beginning was also something that didn't bode well, but the explanation later on took care of it...I guess.

Anyone else felt that this was...hrm. Rushed isn't the right word for it. There was just a big build up around the Wraith invasion. The first half/three quarters of the episode was focused around the main wraith person. Then all of a sudden he "just ran away" when the strike team came. And he comes back at the end to jump Sheppard. A quick and pitiful fight, a few gun shots and he goes down. I dunno. It felt like a wasted character to me.

And laugh.gif Did anyone else gasp when the wraith soldier was (about to at least) feeding on Teal'c? Since SG-1 is no more I thought they were going to kill off his character. Glad to see that didn't happen! Though, the last thing he needs is more aging. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Feb 16th 2008, 2:14 AM
Post #5

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

I found myself enjoying the episode, especially the sparring between Teal'c and Ronan. You have to believe that they would have wanted to spar ever since hearing of the other's existance.

I was having a hard time figuring out how big the midway station was.

The gate bridge should still work. The self destruct should not have been enough to destroy the gates, and the macro can be uploaded from a jumper. I initially though that the stun bomb was going to be an actual bomb.

It was way too easy for the Wraith to get the iris lowered. Aren't they supposed to memorize those codes? And, wasn't that an unscheduled offworld activation?

Despite those things, I was entertained by the episode, which is the most anyone can ask for.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 16th 2008, 3:56 AM
Post #6

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

WOW, I loved this episode. I have been waiting for a Teal'c, Ronon match, and it lived up to all that I wanted it to be.

I loved the "indeed" comments. Teal'c, really, I hadn't noticed that. I'm sure that was an homage to the fans who have tried for years to figure out how many times Teal'c has said it. Then to have Ronon say it, that was priceless. wink.gif

The fight was awesome. John to Sam, "oh about an hour!" I did like Sam stepping in to stop it though. Both Ronon and Teal'c respect her, so they did.

I liked that Teal'c acknowledged Sam's leadership of Atlantis and that it was well earned.

The midway station is now gone? Why oh why did they bring back the whiny, cowardly Cavanaugh? I mean he fainted for goodness sakes. I thought we had seen the last of him. Instead they put him on the midway station? I agree there should have been some more security there, if only because it's so important for the link between the Pegasus Galaxy and SGC. Of course, boner Cavanaugh had to go and do something stupid.

I didn't recognize the head Wraith guy, but as soon as they showed up on that planet, I turned to my husband and said, "I bet he somehow is connected to Todd. Remember Todd had access to the computers while working with McKay?" And yes, it was due to Todd. Now I have to ask, how did this Wraith get the information from Todd? Did he feed on him? Capture him and torture him?

Once again, they wrote Dr. Lee as intelligent, not a loser. I liked that. It was good to see Walter at the SGC, and in front of the SG controls.

Okay, now we have this Coolridge guy from the IOA. I have to wonder if they are making him an idiot, like Woosley because they are,
» Click to Show Spoiler «

I did enjoy Ronon's answer to them at the end, "yes." That's it, nothing more and it was good enough for them. biggrin.gif

They actually gave us a short answer as to where Teyla had been, at the SGC being interviewed by the IOA.

And yes, once again the sci-fi channel ruined next week's episode!!!!! mad.gif
+Quote Post
JinxyKatte
post Feb 16th 2008, 5:14 AM
Post #7

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,942

Loved this episode although i have liked the last few too.

Loved Teal'c and Ronans interactions,

Somethings i did however predict from the offset.

1 They would spar.

2 as soon as Teal'c saved Ronan i knew that Ronon would end up saving Teal'c

3 Shepard would not die (shock) which is good anyway i love him.

Seriously though how old is Teal'c now with that few seconds of wraith feeding and having to stay old when everyone else went back in time he looks really young i think.
+Quote Post
Gotanks
post Feb 16th 2008, 8:02 AM
Post #8

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,704

Awesome episode, especially after the last few ones.

I thought the Midway station would have better security though. And oh poor Teal'c, I wonder how old he's now?

It was nice to see SGC & Teal'c again.

+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Feb 16th 2008, 8:40 AM
Post #9

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

Firstly, the previously on "...meaning there is no need for an Iris or a gate shield". That was added now laugh.gif That wasn't in the original episode they just recorded him saying that and then put it in the previously on to give that story point more depth and not to have people nitpick it here. I saw the episode a couple of weeks ago and that line wasn't there, I even checked an online transcript after the episode and guess what smile.gif

But anyway thoughts on Midway, it was a very good episode. The story and plot was a strong one, and it was a good idea. The Teal’c/Ronan fight being split up so it was a draw, I suppose one section of the fandom would have been annoyed had a particular one won so I suppose it was a good decision. But still kinda disappointing to not see which one would have won.
The interaction between the two of them was good though, wasn’t hard after the Wraith got through to figure out how they’d bond. But I imagine they’d like to see each other again and Teal’c did fit in in this episode. I worried the reason might be quite contrived but it was a good one. Teal’cs line on “I didn’t realise I said indeed” was VERY well played by Chris Judge, if he’d taken it from any other angle (such as in a slightly more sarcastic manner) the joke wouldn’t have worked as well, but his serious approach really added to the joke like he genuinely didn’t realise, so that was good.

But overall plot, I’ve got to say this could have lasted as more then one episode. It fit ok in one but this is a story that had it been fleshed out into two (I.e. seeing more of what the Wraith do on Earth, maybe make the SGC infiltration a bigger part of the story and focus on the Wraith there more or have more of them there.) then it could have been really interesting. As the set up for the Wraith going to Midway was very well done and the time was taken over it, but once they were there it took a little less focus and the story was told a lot faster. I think if more Wraith had gone to midway and then to Earth and time was taken over that it could have been a really interesting story. Similarly to Dominion it would have been good to see Ba’al’s plan in action a bit more maybe over another episode. It worked as one episode, but the story that could have been told had an extra episode been there would have been really interesting and could flesh out a lot more stuff. But it was a good episode on it’s own, just a shame more aspects couldn’t be focussed on more.
But the plot itself, I was actually rooting for the Wraith on this one, for the same reasons if they succeeded we would have had a really interesting story, that’s why I wanted them to succeed the whole time, a Wraith on Earth story would be a lot more feasible now that SG-1 as a show isn’t there anymore, means they don’t have to worry about interfering with it as much. And would be good to see a Wraith at Earth story again.

Dr Cavanaugh, couldn’t he have done anything right? He’s an intelligent scientist that’s why he’s on the base, but because he’s also a jerk he has to do something wrong or if something goes wrong it has to be because of him? That wasn’t a very good way to approach it really, the more ‘powerful’ jerks on screen are the ones that yes they are a jerk but they still do their job right, it gives them more depth, it gives them more character, and makes you in a way want to see them fail because you don’t want a jerk to succeed. But he’s an intelligent individual and he still should be able to do their job. I don’t dislike seeing Cavanaugh, he creates a good bit of tension between characters but I think that would be increased if he was also right sometimes, if he had a genuine point more. I hope if we see him again that this approach is taken, as I think it’s the right one.

I think that the Midway blowing up as a way to get rid of the Wraith would have been stronger as well, would have given it more significance I think rather then it just being an accident. The story was basically over by that point and the Wraith were gone, so it didn’t really serve that much story purpose it blowing up by that point. It would have also strengthened the Wraiths plan by making it seem the only way to have stopped it would have been to blow up the base, the more formidable foe approach.

But overall, yes it was a good episode, strong plot and good character dynamics. Teal’c was used well and it served a good story purpose, makes me want to see more of him in the future in the show. A strong 9 out of 10 imo.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Feb 16th 2008, 8:43 AM
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 16th 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #10

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

IP, I think they blew up the Midway Station for the simple reason it would strand the Atlantis people out there for awhile. I think they will be using it for plot points later on. At least I hope so.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 16th 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #11

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Feb 16th 2008, 2:14 AM) *

I was having a hard time figuring out how big the midway station was.

It was way too easy for the Wraith to get the iris lowered. Aren't they supposed to memorize those codes? And, wasn't that an unscheduled offworld activation?

Yeah that was a little ambiguous. Given the original shots of the Jumper in the frame, in a past episode, there should have been no room for all those passageways and nowhere to hide.

The macro sends the IDC.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Feb 16th 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #12

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 16th 2008, 11:15 AM) *

IP, I think they blew up the Midway Station for the simple reason it would strand the Atlantis people out there for awhile. I think they will be using it for plot points later on. At least I hope so.

Yes, they brough up that the midway station exists, because at the time they didn't have a ZPM, but not they they do, they don't want to waste it. I think that is going to come up again later.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Feb 16th 2008, 12:37 PM
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Feb 16th 2008, 1:10 PM
Post #13

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 16th 2008, 4:15 PM) *

Agreed on the fact that they're probably blowing it up for effect later on, but storywise it served no plot point here. They could have had it so they blew it up to get rid of the Wraith, probably would have been a little more exiting and it still would have gotten blown up.

Or in other words I'm not arguing the decision to blow it up I think that was fine, just the reason for it could have been different.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Feb 16th 2008, 1:16 PM
+Quote Post
jacksworld
post Feb 16th 2008, 2:25 PM
Post #14

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,030

I really liked this epsiode. It was probably one of the best ones this season. The interaction between Ronon and Tealc was great. I really could see future episodes (if TPTB allow it) of the two of them together. Ronon commenting Tealc for saying "indeed" alot was priceless. The battle between the two was great though i have to admit i was abit upset that sam had to jump in and break it up. I love Ronons but i personally think Tealc should have won. He has been around for alot longer than Ronon and is far more experienced. but either way it was a good fight.

As for the Wraith infiltrating sgc. It was kool to finally see them get there. But i cant help but wonder. Imagine if the wraith managed to move all thier butts to the milkyway galaxy. Do you really think they would become that big of a threat in the milkyway like they are in the pegasus?
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Feb 16th 2008, 2:48 PM
Post #15

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,304

QUOTE(jacksworld @ Feb 16th 2008, 2:25 PM) *

As for the Wraith infiltrating sgc. It was kool to finally see them get there. But i cant help but wonder. Imagine if the wraith managed to move all thier butts to the milkyway galaxy. Do you really think they would become that big of a threat in the milkyway like they are in the pegasus?

I think they would pose a threat but not nearly as significant as they do in Pegasus. I mean really, the Milky Way is completely filled with powerful races with fleets of big and powerful ships. There is absolutely no way for the Wraith to launch a successful invasion.
+Quote Post
BigusDickus
post Feb 16th 2008, 3:02 PM
Post #16

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,661

Wow thats one of my favourite episodes ever!! Loved teal'c and ronan and the whole midway setting. Shame we didnt get to see more of the wraiths plan in the sgc.

I dont think the wraith would last long if they ever managed to invade the milky way, there are too many people for them to take control over not to mention all the ships the jafa have.
+Quote Post
Ziu
post Feb 16th 2008, 3:26 PM
Post #17

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,813

bow.gif Finally, a super episode.

In my opinion, this was definitely the best this season and one of the five best for all seasons to date.

I just hope that there will be additional interaction with Teal'c and Ronan in future episodes. Naturally, if this should come to pass, those episodes hopefully will be just as action charged as this one. king.gif
+Quote Post
FreshPez
post Feb 16th 2008, 5:03 PM
Post #18

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,148

I loved it for the simple fact that most of the things people did made sense. "Colonel, assemble a strike team."

YES.
+Quote Post
Reignfire
post Feb 16th 2008, 8:04 PM
Post #19

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,640

QUOTE(jacksworld @ Feb 16th 2008, 1:25 PM) *

I have to disagree w/ you guys about this. The Milkyway galaxy has been recently ravaged by both the Replicators and the Ori. There really aren't any "powerful races with fleets of big and powerful ships" anymore. Most advanced races either no longer exist (Asgard, Tollan) or are non-interference (Ancients, Nox). Earth probably has the most advanced fleet, but it's only 3 ships + fighters. While the Free Jaffa Nation probably has quite a few Goa'uld ships, it would take a lot of them since they're kind of weak. The Aschen could be of some use, but who knows what happened to them. Really, the only ones that could have taken on the Wraith were the Replicators, but of course they've been wiped out. Any one I'm forgetting?

[EDIT]Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it would be easy, but I think it's possible. Most opposition would be ground combat, but they avoid a lot of that by using their transporters.[/EDIT]

This post has been edited by Reignfire: Feb 16th 2008, 8:20 PM
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 16th 2008, 8:13 PM
Post #20

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(jacksworld @ Feb 16th 2008, 2:25 PM) *

I don't think the Wraith would have such an easy time in the Milky Way. In the Pegasus Galaxy, they feed on and cull very primitive civilizations. While the Asgard may not be around anymore, we do have quite a bit of their technology. Even though the Jaffa are free, they are fierce fighters/warriors, and I'm sure would put up a good fight.

Regarding the Midway Station not having any security, I think we can thank Rodney for that. In his arrogance, he said that no one could highjack it. No one could use it. He had all these security measures in place, and it was safe. He never thought that someone, Todd, would highjack the computers.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Feb 16th 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #21

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

I really enjoyed this episode, one of the better ones this season. The one thing I liked about SG-1 was the ground combat. In Atlantis we often don't see these types of episodes so it was good to finally see some action.

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Feb 17th 2008, 12:40 AM) *

But anyway thoughts on Midway, it was a very good episode. The story and plot was a strong one, and it was a good idea. The Tealíc/Ronan fight being split up so it was a draw, I suppose one section of the fandom would have been annoyed had a particular one won so I suppose it was a good decision. But still kinda disappointing to not see which one would have won.

I think the whole idea behind Sheppard saying they had been going at it for about an hour was to show they are very evenly matched. No matter how long they were at it there was not going to be a winner.

I do have one nitpick from this episode. We know from what happened to Ford that if a Wraith is feeding and dies quite suddenly, then the victims body becomes flooded with the enzyme. How come this didn't happen to Teal'c?

As far as the Wraith invading Milky Way, I reckon they would be a large threat. Remember that they did defeat the Ancients. Their ships would be far more powerful than a Goa'uld Hatak. Plus the Jaffa live for longer, hence they would be a better food source for the Wraith, which in turn can correspond to increased regenerative powers.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Feb 16th 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #22

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Feb 17th 2008, 3:15 AM) *

I really enjoyed this episode, one of the better ones this season. The one thing I liked about SG-1 was the ground combat. In Atlantis we often don't see these types of episodes so it was good to finally see some action.
I think the whole idea behind Sheppard saying they had been going at it for about an hour was to show they are very evenly matched. No matter how long they were at it there was not going to be a winner.

I do have one nitpick from this episode. We know from what happened to Ford that if a Wraith is feeding and dies quite suddenly, then the victims body becomes flooded with the enzyme. How come this didn't happen to Teal'c?

Because that was basically a horrible fluke, that wouldn't happen normally it just did then. And the Wraith's hand stuck in Ford, it didn't here. A grenade blast is also probably quicker then a stab would as well, even if by a couple of seconds.

But yeah, I want to see more of the Wraith on earth as well, they could have made the Wraith getting to Earth a really good season finale/cliff-hanger mid season. But oh well I'm sure they have something else planned.
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Feb 17th 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #23

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 17th 2008, 12:13 PM) *

Regarding the Midway Station not having any security, I think we can thank Rodney for that. In his arrogance, he said that no one could highjack it. No one could use it. He had all these security measures in place, and it was safe. He never thought that someone, Todd, would highjack the computers.

We get it Indy, you hate Rodney. Youíre entitled to your opinion, but this kind of thing was exactly what I've tried to convey to you before. You're letting your hatred of the character become an excuse to blame Rodney for everything no matter what, which is kind of unfair. What happened here wasn't necessarily Rodney's fault, no matter how much you'd like it to be.

For starters, Rodney claiming that no-one would be able being able to hack into the gatebridge was a retcon, as Invis pointed out, that line originally wasn't in The Return. Not to mention the fact that its the McKay-CARTER space bridge, so obviously she thought it was secure as well.
Also you could just as easily blame whoever's idea it was to leave one of the bridge gates on a PLANET where the Wraith could get to it easily rather than a random location in deep space.
Or why not blame the idiots in charge that decided that there should be no countermeasures at all. Rodney didn't make that decision, and do you really think that just because he said that the system was secure that they wouldn't have taken reasonable "worst-case scenario" precautions anyway?

Again hate Rodney if you must, but stop picking on him for every tiny thing please. It's getting a little annoying.

+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 17th 2008, 12:16 AM
Post #24

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

The Midway station should have been larger and equipped with the sort of security that both Atlantis and the SGC have. They made it that way because it would be conveniently open for attack whenever they wanted to demolish it.

I like how they made a big deal out of power consumption concerns. dry.gif

The end was funny, with Sheppard lockling himself in the forward compartment. laugh.gif
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 17th 2014 - 2:33 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.