post Feb 8th 2008, 1:32 AM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 4, Episode 16 - Trio
Air date: February 8, 2008

Carter, McKay and Dr. Keller become trapped in an underground mining chamber during an off-world mission.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Arteon-
post Feb 8th 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #2

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,177

I don't usually comment on episodes, but I feel this episode begs the question:

Question: Just how many PhDs does it take to climb out of a hole?

Most of this episode felt like a garry's mod or forge session, minus the freak glitches...and fun. Was it just me, or was Carter acting way too reckless (not once, but twice?! She was lucky not to have broken any limbs the first time.)

This could have been a better episode, trapped in an abandoned Genii facility underground.

This post has been edited by Arteon-: Feb 9th 2008, 12:51 AM
+Quote Post
Wisdonplusone
post Feb 9th 2008, 2:15 AM
Post #3

Airman Basic

Member No.: 17,414

Hurray, at last Col. Sam is acting with the intelligence she showed as a member of SG1. They have dumbed her down so much that it was insulting to have us believe they even gave her command of Atlantis. all she ever did was agree with McKay. And why when she is given a significant command position was she made to look like a spinster aunt, that hair is awful, cut it, shape it --a professional woman would not look so delibertly out of it, we saw Sam has style in her personal life from the SGC. Is our Doctor Jennifer going after the men in alpha order (last week Rhonin, then Rhodney, is next week Shephard's turn to receive her inadept flirting?
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 9th 2008, 3:25 AM
Post #4

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

I liked this episode simply because we actually had Sam in it. But, I'm so tired of Keller being front and center in just about every episode. This is not the way to make we like her character.

Rodney was funny because he thought he was going to get to see something with Keller, but Sam found the rope. Then he tried so hard to get Sam to show something to those boys. I did like that he came through as a hero in this one. He tried so hard with the grappling apparatus, but Sam did it 2 out of 2. That was showing us what Sam was capable of, military wise.

Rodney sure picked up on the Zelenka comments, didn't he? He doesn't like to share the limelight with him at all. wink.gif

Both Rodney and Sam had good ideas. Keller's wasn't bad. She was so whimpy and whining in the beginning, but straightened out in the end.

So what happened with those children? What happened with those people on that planet? They just left that kind of up in the air.

Once again, Teyla wasn't on. Was this her maternity leave? I was surprised Ronon wasn't on. John had like two lines.

Okay, during Quarantine Ronon and Keller almost kissed. Now she finds out that McKay and Katie are kaput, and she makes a move on him in the end. Are they turning her into the slut of the show? Or are they just trying to see what works. I don't get it.

Next week,
» Click to Show Spoiler «
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Feb 9th 2008, 7:26 AM
Post #5

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 9th 2008, 9:25 AM) *

I liked this episode simply because we actually had Sam in it. But, I'm so tired of Keller being front and center in just about every episode. This is not the way to make we like her character.

Rodney was funny because he thought he was going to get to see something with Keller, but Sam found the rope. Then he tried so hard to get Sam to show something to those boys. I did like that he came through as a hero in this one. He tried so hard with the grappling apparatus, but Sam did it 2 out of 2. That was showing us what Sam was capable of, military wise.

Rodney sure picked up on the Zelenka comments, didn't he? He doesn't like to share the limelight with him at all. wink.gif

Both Rodney and Sam had good ideas. Keller's wasn't bad. She was so whimpy and whining in the beginning, but straightened out in the end.

So what happened with those children? What happened with those people on that planet? They just left that kind of up in the air.

Once again, Teyla wasn't on. Was this her maternity leave? I was surprised Ronon wasn't on. John had like two lines.

Okay, during Quarantine Ronon and Keller almost kissed. Now she finds out that McKay and Katie are kaput, and she makes a move on him in the end. Are they turning her into the slut of the show? Or are they just trying to see what works. I don't get it.

Next week,

probably turning her into the slut i mean everywhere has one and so far there's not really been one in atlantis so it's gotta happen sooner or later lol.
+Quote Post
Raxor
post Feb 9th 2008, 7:52 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 174

I thought it was a good fun episode, Had a little of thesam and Mckay banter from previous seasons. Nice comment about it being like forge heh. Kaylee eh Dr Keller was nice to watch as well, glad sam came along and not just be the talking head explaning the mission and actually have some action.
All in all an enjoyable episode which gets a nice *** from me.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Feb 9th 2008, 10:29 AM
Post #7

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

This episode was in my opinion a sublime episode. Very high marks for it there was most of what makes the show contained in high portions in this episode. There was great characterisation, lots of humour, it was quite tense, had nice little twists and all the characters contributed in a strong way. But it felt fresh and new, even if they've already had 'some characters trapped somewhere' twice this season, but it didn't feel that way and felt new.

But yey on Keller/Rodney, they went REALLY well together. I thought that way lovely smile.gif People had a problem with Ronan/Keller, but I felt this pair went together really well. I hope we see it more in the future and that they carry it on. I really do. But you could see the signs early on, but it was good how they handled it. I just want to see their first date after he buys her a keg.

McKay trying to get everyone to take their tops off though laugh.gif On more then one occasion, this is a good McKay. Very funny throughout though.

QUOTE(Indy)
I'm so tired of Keller being front and center in just about every episode. This is not the way to make we like her character.

No offence but you do say that every episode wink.gif

But yeah, a good strong episode in my opinion, consistent quality throughout. My fave in a while but it was really enjoyable, 8-9/10.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Feb 9th 2008, 10:33 AM
+Quote Post
BigusDickus
post Feb 9th 2008, 3:19 PM
Post #8

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,661

Mabye keller wanted to go for a drink with rodney as friends as he did just save her life. A good episode all in all, had me on the edge of my seat at times.
+Quote Post
FreshPez
post Feb 9th 2008, 9:52 PM
Post #9

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,148

Yeah, I didn't get anything beyond platonic coming from Keller towards Rodney.

And even though I usually dislike Sam, I was waiting for her to take charge instead of deferring to Rodney. I'm sure some people will say Rodney will have a problem taking orders from a woman, but I think it's just that particular woman because he likes her/competes with her. He always listened to what Weir had to say for example.

I basically enjoyed it.
+Quote Post
Airkat
post Feb 10th 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #10

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,591

I know the gas line SORTA came in handy in the grand scheme of things, but did anyone else find it dumb of Carter to allow Rodney to keep trying? #1 they were low on time and #2 he had nearly taken her head off the first time.

I would've stepped in and said we don't have time for this, let's go.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Feb 10th 2008, 1:36 PM
Post #11

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

IMO, this was another "forced character development episode". I mean, let's take Atlantis' most undeveloped characters and pit them with Rodney, let's see what happens. We take them off-world this time, and trap them in a mine somewhere. Then we can make them interact somehow as they try to get out.

1. The way that Carter and Keller fell in the mine was stupid. A real military person would have never approached the hole that way.

2. So, Carter falls rather unexpected the first time and she is uninjured, then the second time she brakes her leg from a shorter distance.

3. When Keller fell in the "abyss", she could not have grabbed that rope like that. What was she, a damn commando or something? blink.gif

A very poor episode IMO. Hoping for more from the next. sad.gif
+Quote Post
seymour
post Feb 10th 2008, 3:12 PM
Post #12

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,394

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Feb 10th 2008, 1:36 PM) *
1. The way that Carter and Keller fell in the mine was stupid. A real military person would have never approached the hole that way..........

3. When Keller fell in the "abyss", she could not have grabbed that rope like that. What was she, a damn commando or something? blink.gif.........................

I totally agree. At least one of them would have stayed far way from the hole - which incidently was able to bear the weight of 4 kids/teenagers without any problem.
Commando Keller - ROTFLOL

Doesn't Carter realize SHE'S IN CHARGE! This episode makes her look really weak and too passive though it was nice to see her eventually swinging the hook and getting it through the hole first time.

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 9th 2008, 3:25 AM) *

...... But, I'm so tired of Keller being front and center in just about every episode. This is not the way to make we like her character...............

Okay, during Quarantine Ronon and Keller almost kissed. Now she finds out that McKay and Katie are kaput, and she makes a move on him in the end. Are they turning her into the slut of the show? Or are they just trying to see what works. I don't get it. ...........................

You know how tired I am of Commando-Slut Keller too. JB likes Keller/JS and she gets more screen time than just about anyone else on the show.

This post has been edited by seymour: Feb 10th 2008, 3:17 PM
+Quote Post
droid327
post Feb 10th 2008, 9:22 PM
Post #13

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,306

Thought the stammering Rodney bit about who has the better body went on a little bit longer than it was funny....

It was nice to at least hear Rodney admit that by now he should be a little more battlehardened/desensitized/better in the kind of life or death situations he finds himself in every week. Jackson in SG1 acclamated rather quickly to being an "archaeologist that carries a gun", though you could argue he was a field scientist to begin with....

I agree its rather odd to see Keller making a pass at Rodney after she and Ronan just hit it off. But I think I like it, and not just because I feel Ronan-Keller didnt really have any chemistry, but I like the idea, if this is the way they're going, that the people there have relationships that build up and break off and then they get involved with other people, just like real life. Its not like other TV shows where they build up shipper fantasies. Its a few hundred people that see each other and only each other every day, so in a way its like high school smile.gif

I do think thats what they're doing, and it makes the most sense - there was a lot of speculation about Teyla/Shepard and Teyla/Ronan hooking up, but then she goes and has a baby with Kanan. Of course, their hands were forced by the pregnancy, but I think they parlayed that well into establishing that the principals arent all going to pair off together and/or feeling obligated to introduce a character to be a romantic interest for every principal.

It also means McKay might get his shot with Sam sooner or later, sorry Jack smile.gif

This post has been edited by droid327: Feb 10th 2008, 9:23 PM
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 10th 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #14

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Feb 9th 2008, 10:29 AM) *

No offence but you do say that every episode wink.gif

I say it every episode because it is true. I'm passionate about Stargate. I wanted to be passionate about SGA. They are making it very hard for me to do that. They have moments, but then they blow it. Putting JS as Keller, front and center each and every week is one of those moments where they blow it.

QUOTE(droid327 @ Feb 10th 2008, 9:22 PM) *

I agree its rather odd to see Keller making a pass at Rodney after she and Ronan just hit it off. But I think I like it, and not just because I feel Ronan-Keller didnt really have any chemistry, but I like the idea, if this is the way they're going, that the people there have relationships that build up and break off and then they get involved with other people, just like real life. Its not like other TV shows where they build up shipper fantasies. Its a few hundred people that see each other and only each other every day, so in a way its like high school smile.gif

I do think thats what they're doing, and it makes the most sense - there was a lot of speculation about Teyla/Shepard and Teyla/Ronan hooking up, but then she goes and has a baby with Kanan. Of course, their hands were forced by the pregnancy, but I think they parlayed that well into establishing that the principals arent all going to pair off together and/or feeling obligated to introduce a character to be a romantic interest for every principal.

I'm sorry, but I don't think it is real life. When you are involved with someone, as Rodney was with Katie for a year, you don't just turn around and try and hook up with someone immediately. You work up to it.

I know that for the most part , Keller has felt alone all her life because of her intelligence. We learned that in Quarantine with Ronon. I'm going to assume because she tried to come onto Rodney in this one is because she's trying desperately to connect with someone, anyone, which is sad, and if done correctly could be a good character development for her.
+Quote Post
hobo_joe20
post Feb 11th 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #15

Brigadier General
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,055

I still disagree that they are trying to make a whole Keller - Rodney thing. I saw it as 2 friends having a drink after a rough day. When keller said "you really aren't very good at this are you?" I took it as he wasn't very good at being social. with anyone. not just with girls. and failed to get the hint that she just needed a drink after a rough day, same as if it was sheppard or ronan or anyone else.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 11th 2008, 1:45 AM
Post #16

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(hobo_joe20 @ Feb 11th 2008, 12:30 AM) *

I still disagree that they are trying to make a whole Keller - Rodney thing. I saw it as 2 friends having a drink after a rough day. When keller said "you really aren't very good at this are you?" I took it as he wasn't very good at being social. with anyone. not just with girls. and failed to get the hint that she just needed a drink after a rough day, same as if it was sheppard or ronan or anyone else.

I guess it could be that, but the majority of us saw it the other way. Maybe we are putting too much into it because they are putting too much of Keller into the show. wink.gif
+Quote Post
ancient01
post Feb 11th 2008, 6:41 AM
Post #17

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,239

I didn't enjoy this one. I'm all for character development, but this didn't seem true to where the characters were developing. Carter should have smacked McKay down right from the start, Keller seemed like she was still whining about everything, and McKay was right back to his old obnoxious self. It seemed like one of the writers thought it would be a good idea to write an episode around that old bar bet. Not exactly worthwhile... Oh, and my opinion on the Keller- McKay thing is that it was intended to be platonic, but the actors just didn't pull it off very well. I blame the director for that, though...
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Feb 11th 2008, 10:25 AM
Post #18

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 11th 2008, 5:10 AM) *

I'm sorry, but I don't think it is real life. When you are involved with someone, as Rodney was with Katie for a year, you don't just turn around and try and hook up with someone immediately. You work up to it.

only if your a woman! most men when they break up try almost instantly to get into a hot womans pants it in our genes.although there are some exceptions thats pretty much the rule.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Feb 11th 2008, 10:40 AM
Post #19

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(droid327 @ Feb 11th 2008, 2:22 AM) *

Its not like other TV shows where they build up shipper fantasies.

I'm sorry but Stargate is one of the most guilty shows I've ever seen at doing this smile.gif They set up little potential romances (like Shepard/Teyla, Shepard Weir), do little hints about them over the next few years but never take it anywhere. They throw you a bone and then drag it along for years. Ask any Sam/Jack shipper, 11 years later and still nothing smile.gif But inevitably all of the above mentioned Atlantis ones have come down to nothing now.

But I will say Atlantis is getting better at not doing this, having the whole McKay/Katie thing, Keller/Ronan, yes keller/McKay it does seem a bit more realistic, I mean how many people in real life don't enter into any form of that life for years on end for no reason, these aren't people that can't find partners but because there's a potential chance they might hook up with someone they technically can't they don't do anything for about 6 years. Yeah right, but people do enter into casual relationships or non casual but it's a little less static in real life. McKays relationship with katie was quite realistic in my opinion and that's why I liked it, it was just two people who liked and cared for each other, none of this 'you are my ultimate love' crap a lot of shows seem to do with this.

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Feb 11th 2008, 3:25 PM) *

only if your a woman! most men when they break up try almost instantly to get into a hot womans pants it in our genes.although there are some exceptions thats pretty much the rule.

No, sorry I'm not buying this, I know people rebound but if an emotional investment was made in a relationship you don't just get over it straight away. It doesn't matter what sex you are!

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Feb 11th 2008, 10:41 AM
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Feb 11th 2008, 1:01 PM
Post #20

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Feb 11th 2008, 5:25 PM) *

That is not what I believe. Whether you are a man, or a woman, the moment you get emotionally attached to a person, it becomes harder and harder to break up with him/her. In this case, an emotional relationship lasting for one year isn't quite the shock at break up, but it isn't easy to just forget about it either.

The men that do what you are saying here are the ones that try not to let their emotional side ever show around a woman. It is not a rule, nor it is in men's genes. It's just their desire to show superiority that leads to it. 1.gif

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Feb 11th 2008, 1:02 PM
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 11th 2008, 2:43 PM
Post #21

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Feb 11th 2008, 10:40 AM) *

No, sorry I'm not buying this, I know people rebound but if an emotional investment was made in a relationship you don't just get over it straight away. It doesn't matter what sex you are!

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Feb 11th 2008, 1:01 PM) *

That is not what I believe. Whether you are a man, or a woman, the moment you get emotionally attached to a person, it becomes harder and harder to break up with him/her. In this case, an emotional relationship lasting for one year isn't quite the shock at break up, but it isn't easy to just forget about it either.

The men that do what you are saying here are the ones that try not to let their emotional side ever show around a woman. It is not a rule, nor it is in men's genes. It's just their desire to show superiority that leads to it. 1.gif

bow.gif bow.gif bow.gif Hurray, we actually have mature men. Thank you both for verifying what I said. I do not believe that all men just care about getting into a hot woman's pants after a year long breakup! Thank you both. smile.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Feb 11th 2008, 3:39 PM
Post #22

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

I thought this was a good episode. I was a little disapointed that they didn't go further into the facility.

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Feb 11th 2008, 10:25 AM) *

I'd like to speak for some decent men and say, this is not a rule, not all men think this way.
+Quote Post
seymour
post Feb 11th 2008, 4:39 PM
Post #23

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,394

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Feb 11th 2008, 10:40 AM) *
....But I will say Atlantis is getting better at not doing this, having the whole McKay/Katie thing, Keller/Ronan, yes keller/McKay it does seem a bit more realistic......

But what a waste of precious screen time. A better final scene would have built on the new found relationship between the TRIO and that includes Carter.......

That said, why wasn't the amazing Keller at least looking in on Carter rather than checking Carter's paperwork. The writers/TPTB have her ignoring Carter but spending time chatting up Rodney-when will this girl get to do any real doctoring?

+Quote Post
droid327
post Feb 11th 2008, 4:53 PM
Post #24

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,306

QUOTE(seymour @ Feb 11th 2008, 5:39 PM) *

That said, why wasn't the amazing Keller at least looking in on Carter rather than checking Carter's paperwork. The writers/TPTB have her ignoring Carter but spending time chatting up Rodney-when will this girl get to do any real doctoring?

When she stops channeling Lexa Doig whenever she's doing doctory stuff? smile.gif

Maybe she figured she gave Carter enough personal time when they were in the pit. Maybe she figures her staff doctors are capable of attending to a broken bone. Maybe she was finished making sure Carter's bone was set and there wasnt any internal bleeding, and Carter was sleeping or something.

Maybe she just recognized a kindred spirit in Rodney, socially awkward and isolated because of his intelligence just like she was, and figured they could understand each other, and wanted to spend time with him (platonically or romantically).
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 23rd 2014 - 2:43 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.