Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: Spoilers & Speculation

This area is for Atlantis spoilers. There are separate categories for SG-1 Spoilers and Universe Spoilers. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> And the new cast details are in...
Invisible Painting
post Feb 5th 2008, 1:05 PM
Post #1

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,819

Well we were promised certain details about season 5's cast today (well yesterday) and we have them now. We knew that Carter was leaving the show full time and we'd have a new base commander. And that Beckett and Daniel may feature in the show.

Well:

Fan favorite Paul McGillion will return for five episodes to reprise his role as Dr. Carson Beckett. Amanda Tapping (Col. Samantha Carter) will appear as a special guest star in several episodes, and Stargate SG-1 star Michael Shanks (Dr. Daniel Jackson) will appear as a special guest in episodes as well.

Robert Picardo, who plays International Oversight Committee rep Richard Woolsey, joins the Atlantis cast this season as Woolsey assumes command of the Atlantis expedition. The team, led by Lt. Col. Sheppard (Joe Flanigan), Dr. Rodney McKay (David Hewlett), Teyla (Rachel Luttrell), Ronon (Jason Momoa) and Dr. Jennifer Keller (Jewel Staite), must adjust to his unique leadership style.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?c...=0&id=48051

I gotta say I'm not really dissapointed by Woolsey being in charge, I figured they would go there once they said a familiar face would be in charge. But now the final word has been announced I'm quite pleased with it. It could have been worse and I imagine like Rodney, he'll have quite a lot of character development based on who he is.

The article mentioned Keller as 'on the team', but I don't know if that's just an error or means her as 'on the show'. But she will be back.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Feb 5th 2008, 1:29 PM
Post #2

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

What are the circumstances surrounding Beckett's return in season 4? I really don't like the idea he died then has suddenly been cast again.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Feb 5th 2008, 1:57 PM
Post #3

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Feb 5th 2008, 6:29 PM) *

What are the circumstances surrounding Beckett's return in season 4? I really don't like the idea he died then has suddenly been cast again.

No one actually knows that, it's been kept secret and kept quite well. All we know is that at the time Mallozzi said that it would leave the door open for future returns, and apparently this is still so. But I'm glad he's not back as full time cast member, as that would basically destroy the point of Sunday and the significance of the event.
+Quote Post
JC1
post Feb 5th 2008, 2:27 PM
Post #4

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 342

I really don't like the idea of Woolsey in command. Hes all right as a guest character that annoys the regular characters, but really, he has shown nothing in the way of leadership qualities. He's a bureaucrat, who evaluates decisions made in the field from the safety of his desk. Really, what qualifies him to lead the expedition? "The Seer," showed what kind of leader he'd make.

Not to mention he's a civilian. What was point of bringing in a military leader, only to go back to civilian leader, after a year? I assume this puts Sheppard back in command of Atlantis' military forces.

+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 5th 2008, 2:55 PM
Post #5

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

Woolsey... Well, his character has changed over the little time we have seen him, but still... Woolsey?

Well at least Dr. Jackson will bve making one or more appearances, so that should be cool. What we really need is for him to bring (his wife) Vala with him. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
seymour
post Feb 5th 2008, 4:06 PM
Post #6

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,394

QUOTE(JC1 @ Feb 5th 2008, 2:27 PM) *

I really don't like the idea of Woolsey in command. Hes all right as a guest character that annoys the regular characters, but really, he has shown nothing in the way of leadership qualities. He's a bureaucrat, who evaluates decisions made in the field from the safety of his desk. Really, what qualifies him to lead the expedition? "The Seer," showed what kind of leader he'd make.

Not to mention he's a civilian. What was point of bringing in a military leader, only to go back to civilian leader, after a year? I assume this puts Sheppard back in command of Atlantis' military forces.

I agree. Much as I love Woolsey episodes, everything about his character (both Atlantis and SG-1)has been shown in the light of "Thanks goodness he's not in charge." Are TPTB playing this for laughs? Is Rodney not funny enough anymore as a pompous ass?

Also, this change reflects the huge mistake the producers made by getting rid of Weir to make room for Carter who has barely made an impact in S4. The producers should have just let her out of her contract after SG-1 was cancelled rather than have her do Atlantis duty.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Feb 5th 2008, 4:37 PM
Post #7

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Feb 5th 2008, 6:57 PM) *
No one actually knows that, it's been kept secret and kept quite well. All we know is that at the time Mallozzi said that it would leave the door open for future returns, and apparently this is still so. But I'm glad he's not back as full time cast member, as that would basically destroy the point of Sunday and the significance of the event.
Interestingly, Wiki has a description of the episode in which he returns:
» Click to Show Spoiler «

It's also been said that there will be a new female Captain starring but it is not known if she is a permenant addition or a recurring character.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 5th 2008, 4:41 PM
Post #8

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Feb 5th 2008, 4:37 PM) *

Interestingly, Wiki has a description of the episode in which he returns:

It's also been said that there will be a new female Captain starring but it is not known if she is a permenant addition or a recurring character.

Yeah I saw that description as well.

I was kinda hoping TPTB finally decided to make Rodney grow as a person... saying it in an episode really isn't enough. If Rodney grows, somebody will have to take his place. Woolsey can't be the leader unless they change the character.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 5th 2008, 4:55 PM
Post #9

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

Woolsey, give me a freakin' break! Okay, the IOA is run by civilians, but in the Pegasus Galaxy you need a heavy military leadership. Shep will still lead the military, but Woolsey will not let him make any decisions since he will be in charge of Atlantis. Woolsey is a pansy, plain and simple. He's worst then Weir was in the beginning. What in the world are they thinking?
+Quote Post
seymour
post Feb 5th 2008, 6:34 PM
Post #10

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 5th 2008, 4:55 PM) *

Woolsey, give me a freakin' break! Okay, the IOA is run by civilians, but in the Pegasus Galaxy you need a heavy military leadership. Shep will still lead the military, but Woolsey will not let him make any decisions since he will be in charge of Atlantis. Woolsey is a pansy, plain and simple. He's worst then Weir was in the beginning. What in the world are they thinking?

Clearly they weren't thinking!

+Quote Post
Dave312
post Feb 5th 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #11

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

Just as long as Woolsey doesn't be stupid and try to over-rule everything (like The Seer) then he should be OK. Personally I thought that maybe they would get (Outcast Spoilers)
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Feb 5th 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #12

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

But Woolsey would overrule everything as he's in charge of everything. So the Seer would happen, but odds are the writers would try and develop him in the right direction this time. Which is why I'm mostly ok with it.

Also Daf while the spoiler does give a bit more info as to why Beckett returns, it doesn't explain how. Which I think is the key point up until now. I won't really listen to anything until we have that to be honest.

And as for Keller, In Joe Mallozzi's blog:
Mark B writes: “Can you confirm if Jewel Staite will be regular or recurring next season?”

Answer: Jewel will be a regular next year.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Feb 5th 2008, 11:16 PM
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Feb 6th 2008, 6:47 AM
Post #13

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

When I read that, my first thought was 'thank goodness, I don't watch it anymore.' Woolsey in charge? Could TPTB have had a worse idea?? sick.gif
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Feb 6th 2008, 8:06 AM
Post #14

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

woolsey damn this show will be going down the sh*tter next season.
woolsey's ok as a short term character with just the odd episode here and there but as base commander? if he was my boss i'd shoot him
and doing time would be a price i'd be willing to pay!
+Quote Post
seymour
post Feb 6th 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #15

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(wonderland @ Feb 6th 2008, 6:47 AM) *

When I read that, my first thought was 'thank goodness, I don't watch it anymore.' Woolsey in charge? Could TPTB have had a worse idea?? sick.gif

Obviously, you were ahead of the curve.

Woolsey, along with the predictable inclusion of Dr. Keller as a regular character (and Jewel Staite as a "star") has tipped the balance for me. I've also read that there will be a new "hot babe" in Atlantis. I'm not in the demographic that TPTB are reaching for - I need good writing, plausible characters, great dialogue set against the backdrop of exciting science fiction action and adventure.

Season 5 won't be on my list of "must-see" TV. It's sad to see a franchise that had so much potential self-implode due to really bad management decisons.

I'll have more time to send between the covers of a good book.

This post has been edited by seymour: Feb 6th 2008, 11:09 AM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 6th 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #16

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

All they have to do is tweak Woolsey a little bit... adapt him to suit the needs of a recurring character.

Keller, on the other hand, I already like. I think she is a great character, and I don't see why there would be a problem with her being a regular...

Also, I don't ever see a problem with having a hot babe around.
+Quote Post
JC1
post Feb 6th 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #17

Captain
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 6th 2008, 4:31 PM) *

All they have to do is tweak Woolsey a little bit... adapt him to suit the needs of a recurring character.

I might agree if Woolsey was a recurring support character. But he's going to be leading the expedtion. They'll need a major re-write of the character that will some how miraculosly give him leadership qualites. He has shown to be constantly spineless, cowardly and makes bad decisions. Great choice for a leader!
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 6th 2008, 12:34 PM
Post #18

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(JC1 @ Feb 6th 2008, 12:21 PM) *

I might agree if Woolsey was a recurring support character. But he's going to be leading the expedtion. They'll need a major re-write of the character that will some how miraculosly give him leadership qualites. He has shown to be constantly spineless, cowardly and makes bad decisions. Great choice for a leader!

Originally, yes, he was exactly that. But, we have seen him grow, even if slightly, over the course of his appearances.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Feb 6th 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #19

General
Group Icon

Personally I think the Woolsey character was better when he first appeared. He seems to have been dumbed down over the last few seasons of SG-1 and Atlantis.
+Quote Post
JC1
post Feb 6th 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #20

Captain
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 6th 2008, 5:34 PM) *

Originally, yes, he was exactly that. But, we have seen him grow, even if slightly, over the course of his appearances.

But I haven't seen any improvement. His most recent appearance was "The Seer," were he was just as spineless as he's always been. He panicked, he tried to overule Carter, and generally just got in the way.

I really don't see the logic in putting someone with no leadership experience, in the field leading the expedition on the frontlines in the Pegasus galaxy, other than the TPTB liking the actor.

I have no problem with the actor or the character, so long as he's used in the right role, which I don't think this is. I'll still watch season 5 and give it a chance, but I'm not optimistic for the future of Atlantis.
+Quote Post
seymour
post Feb 6th 2008, 4:10 PM
Post #21

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 6th 2008, 11:31 AM) *

Keller, on the other hand, I already like. I think she is a great character, and I don't see why there would be a problem with her being a regular...

Also, I don't ever see a problem with having a hot babe around.

Well the Sci Fi is doing its best to meet your needs - even with its Paid Programming - Girls Gone Wild- alas my idea of Sci Fi Heaven doesn't sacrifice acting skills, plot & dialogue for a little eye candy fix.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 7th 2008, 12:28 AM
Post #22

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(wonderland @ Feb 6th 2008, 6:47 AM) *

Sadly, I gave it this year, even though I was so upset about the killing of Beckett. I watched, due to loyalty and my like of Sam. I believe I made a mistake.

QUOTE(seymour @ Feb 6th 2008, 11:08 AM) *

Obviously, you were ahead of the curve.

Woolsey, along with the predictable inclusion of Dr. Keller as a regular character (and Jewel Staite as a "star") has tipped the balance for me. I've also read that there will be a new "hot babe" in Atlantis. I'm not in the demographic that TPTB are reaching for - I need good writing, plausible characters, great dialogue set against the backdrop of exciting science fiction action and adventure.

Season 5 won't be on my list of "must-see" TV. It's sad to see a franchise that had so much potential self-implode due to really bad management decisons.

Yes Wonder was ahead of us all. I believe I'll be joining her next year. For me, Keller is no substitute for Beckett. The fact that they will be turning her into a regular next season, pretty much cinches it for me. I'll be watching Las Vegas.

QUOTE(JC1 @ Feb 6th 2008, 12:21 PM) *

I said the same thing in this thread. They could not have picked a worst person to be the leader. Even Rodney, who is all about "him" would be a better leader, IMO.

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Feb 6th 2008, 12:37 PM) *

Personally I think the Woolsey character was better when he first appeared. He seems to have been dumbed down over the last few seasons of SG-1 and Atlantis.

I agree, when he was working for Kinsey and then went to the President and Hammond with his information, he was a much better character. He had integrity. He didn't appear to be a coward because he went against Kinsey. Now I believe he's comic character, nothing more.

As I said, I probably won't be watching next year. I said before season 4 began, that when I heard that M & M were the ones responsible for it all, I had major concerns. I think they were justified. sad.gif
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Feb 7th 2008, 5:44 AM
Post #23

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 6th 2008, 4:31 PM) *

Yeah, I've got to agree. I'm not ruling him out just because he's the way he is now (which isn't something I don't like). But people had major questions when it turned out they were putting Rodney into the show or Vala to be in 8 episodes of season 9, but they both worked out because they changed the characters to suit the role and fit better in long term scenarios. McKay they always presented as annoying in SG-1, he got in the way and was essentially the protagonist to Carter. That's why everyone raised issues when it came to him being on the show, but they shifted the focus on his personality (not changed it, just shifted focus) so he would appear less annoying and more funny. And for most fans that worked.
Similarly with Vala, I loved her in Prometheus Unbound and the first few episodes of season 9, but watching back over them now since she's become a regular I enjoy it less, as she's less endearing to the show and less enjoyable to watch. They HAD to change her and had to alter McKay as well. Woolsey I'm no doubt they will have to do this with as well, and am in no doubt that there will be an episode that tests him and his leadership abilities (just like Carter in The Seer), but I'm not going to go against the decision until I see how they will handle it, as I'm sure the producers know that they will need to change the focus of his personality as well when he's in the leadership role. And like McKay there is a lot of room for character development in that regard.

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Feb 6th 2008, 5:37 PM) *

Agreed, when was the last time he proved to be right in a situation? Oh yeah, Inauguration, every other situation he's had 'good intent' but has always been wrong. He is in a way comic relief or at least just to be there as a protagonist. But that's not to say he will be like that in season 5.
+Quote Post
seymour
post Feb 7th 2008, 1:01 PM
Post #24

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 7th 2008, 12:28 AM) *

Sadly, I gave it this year, even though I was so upset about the killing of Beckett. I watched, due to loyalty and my like of Sam. I believe I made a mistake.
Yes Wonder was ahead of us all. I believe I'll be joining her next year. For me, Keller is no substitute for Beckett. The fact that they will be turning her into a regular next season, pretty much cinches it for me. I'll be watching Las Vegas.
I said the same thing in this thread. They could not have picked a worst person to be the leader. Even Rodney, who is all about "him" would be a better leader, IMO.
I agree, when he was working for Kinsey and then went to the President and Hammond with his information, he was a much better character. He had integrity. He didn't appear to be a coward because he went against Kinsey. Now I believe he's comic character, nothing more.

As I said, I probably won't be watching next year. I said before season 4 began, that when I heard that M & M were the ones responsible for it all, I had major concerns. I think they were justified. sad.gif

Yeah, it's clear where TPTB are going with Keller. S5 is bound to be full of forced dialogue between Keller and her "soon-to-be-boyfriend"
Quarantine
DEX: You remind me of someone I used to know. She put way too much pressure on herself.
KELLER: Someone from Sateda?
DEX: Yeah.
KELLER: Who was she?
DEX: She was someone I cared about. She was killed during the siege.
KELLER: I'm sorry.
DEX: Yeah. I wanted her to leave but she chose to stay behind and help the others. Should have forced her to go.
KELLER: It's not your fault. She chose to stay. Don't put that blame on yourself.
DEX: I had you wrong. When you first came here, I thought you were weak that you didn't belong.
KELLER: It's the story of my life. Growing up, I skipped through grades and graduated at fifteen. Got my Bachelor's Degree before I was even old enough to vote. I missed out on a lot of things any kind of social event, you know, parties and dances. I don't ever remember a time in my life where I belonged.

Ronon regrets the loss of his lover and death of the majority of his race, he was a Runner from the Wraith for years.
Keller counters with her pain about missing her high school dances.
This pairing is convincing.....HOW?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 21st 2014 - 12:43 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.