Rating  4
Invisible Painting
post Apr 4th 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #73

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,819

Given that the writers knew there was a problem especially with Atlantis's first couple of seasons (Rob Cooper has admitted as much) I think it's a lesson learned from Atlantis. So that when they do start Universe (if...) I think it's something that they will try and get from the begining. Plus is M+M are still show-running Atlantis at that point odds are they'll be a little less involved in it. I'm hoping they hire new writers for Universe apart from Brad and Rob.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Apr 5th 2008, 2:06 AM
Post #74

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Apr 4th 2008, 11:04 AM) *

Given that the writers knew there was a problem especially with Atlantis's first couple of seasons (Rob Cooper has admitted as much) I think it's a lesson learned from Atlantis. So that when they do start Universe (if...) I think it's something that they will try and get from the begining. Plus is M+M are still show-running Atlantis at that point odds are they'll be a little less involved in it. I'm hoping they hire new writers for Universe apart from Brad and Rob.

Brad and Rob would be great as writers for Universe, if it does go ahead. There are a few others, but I want M & M to be miles away from any other franchise series.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Apr 5th 2008, 3:30 AM
Post #75

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

I thought they had already started pitching/writing episodes for Universe or am I just getting confused between that and Atlantis? I could swear I had heard something like that from a video on the mgm website.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Apr 5th 2008, 6:43 AM
Post #76

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

Ideas about the direction the show will go are being discussed but that is pretty much all.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Apr 5th 2008, 7:36 AM
Post #77

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Apr 5th 2008, 11:30 AM) *

I thought they had already started pitching/writing episodes for Universe or am I just getting confused between that and Atlantis? I could swear I had heard something like that from a video on the mgm website.

Well, for now there is nothing known for sure. The show has been pitched to MGM recently, but since MGM hasn't declared anything official yet, we can't know for sure if writing of the show has started. All we can say is that it has to happen sometime this year, with filming starting in February-March 2009, making the earliest start possible in Fall 2009. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Apr 5th 2008, 4:30 PM
Post #78

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Apparently (and I think this was said about 6 months ago) depending on how the films do we will be likely to see either more SG films or Universe to be scheduled for when Atlantis finishes it's filming of the fifth season. Given that AoT is apparently selling better then they expected, I can see that as a likely thing to happen first. As Universe demands a higher cost and a higher risk, films are more likely to happen first.

Brad has also said that before the writers strike they did pitch the idea to Sci-fi, but since nothing has since been heard, part of me assumes they didn't go for it, or at least not for now.

As for writers, I'm hoping for Brad Wright, I'm hoping for Rob Cooper. But while writers like Martin Gero and Alan McCullough are fantastic, I think they should hire a new writing team, just to bring that level of freshness to the series it may be lacking potentially otherwise.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Apr 5th 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #79

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Apr 5th 2008, 4:30 PM) *

Apparently (and I think this was said about 6 months ago) depending on how the films do we will be likely to see either more SG films or Universe to be scheduled for when Atlantis finishes it's filming of the fifth season. Given that AoT is apparently selling better then they expected, I can see that as a likely thing to happen first. As Universe demands a higher cost and a higher risk, films are more likely to happen first.

Brad has also said that before the writers strike they did pitch the idea to Sci-fi, but since nothing has since been heard, part of me assumes they didn't go for it, or at least not for now.

As for writers, I'm hoping for Brad Wright, I'm hoping for Rob Cooper. But while writers like Martin Gero and Alan McCullough are fantastic, I think they should hire a new writing team, just to bring that level of freshness to the series it may be lacking potentially otherwise.

I agree that AOT is doing so much better than they had predicted, in fact it is for that reason that they have begun writing the 3rd movie.

I cannot believe that the sci-fi channel is not taking this on. They don't have too many series left to them. They cancelled Dresden Files, which was great. They cancelled Flash Gordon, which was not. BSG will be gone once season 4 is over. They will have Doctor Who and the Sarah Jane Adventures, but I don't think they are full seasons, the 22 episodes that is usual.

I would still like to see Brad Wright, Rob Cooper, Martin Gero, Martin Wood and Alan McCullough as writers for anything haveing to do with the SG franchise. They know the series. Hopefully with them at the helm there would not be continuity issues creeping up. You know they would with M & M involved.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Apr 6th 2008, 1:54 AM
Post #80

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Apr 6th 2008, 12:47 AM) *

I agree that AOT is doing so much better than they had predicted, in fact it is for that reason that they have begun writing the 3rd movie.

I cannot believe that the sci-fi channel is not taking this on. They don't have too many series left to them. They cancelled Dresden Files, which was great. They cancelled Flash Gordon, which was not. BSG will be gone once season 4 is over. They will have Doctor Who and the Sarah Jane Adventures, but I don't think they are full seasons, the 22 episodes that is usual.

I would still like to see Brad Wright, Rob Cooper, Martin Gero, Martin Wood and Alan McCullough as writers for anything haveing to do with the SG franchise. They know the series. Hopefully with them at the helm there would not be continuity issues creeping up. You know they would with M & M involved.

The Stargate franchise needs all new writers if they are to survive much longer. M&M have always been crap. Almost every episode of Atlantis seems sallow and contrived. There isn't any depth of thought that I can see.

Even in this episode, as I said before, they felt a rogue replicator would be a good and convenient story, so they, out of nowhere, decided somebody on Earth must be experimenting with the related nano-tech and had the experiment go awry. I never liked that we hear about all this stuff out of the blue.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Apr 6th 2008, 3:16 PM
Post #81

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Apr 6th 2008, 1:54 AM) *

The Stargate franchise needs all new writers if they are to survive much longer. M&M have always been crap. Almost every episode of Atlantis seems sallow and contrived. There isn't any depth of thought that I can see.

Even in this episode, as I said before, they felt a rogue replicator would be a good and convenient story, so they, out of nowhere, decided somebody on Earth must be experimenting with the related nano-tech and had the experiment go awry. I never liked that we hear about all this stuff out of the blue.

While I understand what you are saying, I still maintain that some of the really good writers need to stick around, if only in a consulting capacity. I would really hate having something in the new franchise that totally contradicts what has gone on before. If this is a new SG franchise, there needs to be some consistancy, or it will just be crap. sad.gif
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Apr 6th 2008, 3:29 PM
Post #82

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Apr 6th 2008, 7:54 AM) *

They've always done that. Loads of shows do that, it's not Battlestar where it is largely consecutive stories, it's an individual episode show with arcs as well. But is there really a point sometimes in mentioning a plot in an episode unrelated just so it seems they planned it out more? Not always, it can help but sometimes just have an episode as an episode. The whole point in this one was that the scientists were going further with it secretly. I had no problem with that at all, early SG-1 did the same thing a lot.

Atlantis does have some form of depth though, but it's not trying to be BSG or anything. They are what they are, and they know what that is.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 2nd 2014 - 6:41 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.