Rating  4
Dafmeister
post Mar 16th 2008, 11:18 AM
Post #49

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

You're right, the Wiki page for Daedalus a better image of the ship and that particular part can be seen clearly.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Revan
post Mar 16th 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #50

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Mar 16th 2008, 12:18 PM) *

You're right, the Wiki page for Daedalus a better image of the ship and that particular part can be seen clearly.

Actually I thought that was a fairly bad image, so I Googled "Daedalus" and "Stargate" and found a better one.

I had actually noticed that odd nacelle at the beginning of S2...
+Quote Post
Wraith Waxer
post Mar 16th 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #51

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,987

QUOTE(Revan @ Mar 16th 2008, 11:10 AM) *

No it's always there and it always looks like that. I always assumed it was part of the hyperdrive. Basically it looks like they took the landing bay nacelle and scaled it down... It is the same shape exactly.

The 304 is a strange design. In an effort to make something particular to the Stargate universe, TPTB and their art department made something strange and somewhat silly. The ship looks like it's wearing a hat...

Well I always liked it more than 303. But we are getting into off topic.
+Quote Post
ZxExN
post Mar 30th 2008, 9:55 PM
Post #52

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,026

This is a little off topic but anyone know what type of suit Sheppard wore at the funeral. Especially who makes it? Thanks
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Mar 31st 2008, 4:56 AM
Post #53

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(ZxExN @ Mar 31st 2008, 4:55 AM) *

This is a little off topic but anyone know what type of suit Sheppard wore at the funeral. Especially who makes it? Thanks

I doubt there is much information regarding this. I don't think it was something the writers wanted to point out. It definitely looked expensive, along with the mansion. I guess that you could find out though, if someone who works and sells suits pointed it out on the web (haven't found anything), but I do have to wonder: Why is it that important? 1.gif
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Mar 31st 2008, 6:57 AM
Post #54

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

QUOTE(Revan @ Mar 16th 2008, 4:10 PM) *

No it's always there and it always looks like that. I always assumed it was part of the hyperdrive. Basically it looks like they took the landing bay nacelle and scaled it down... It is the same shape exactly.

The 304 is a strange design. In an effort to make something particular to the Stargate universe, TPTB and their art department made something strange and somewhat silly. The ship looks like it's wearing a hat...

its probably an emergency landing bay for if your going to have problems landing.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Mar 31st 2008, 10:52 AM
Post #55

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Mar 31st 2008, 1:57 PM) *

its probably an emergency landing bay for if your going to have problems landing.

Somehow I doubt this. If they were to build an emergency dock, they would do so in a part of the ship that makes it easier to land to. That bay is placed closer to the main body of the ship, raising the probability of impact with the ship in case of emergency. smile.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Mar 31st 2008, 2:19 PM
Post #56

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Mar 31st 2008, 10:52 AM) *

Somehow I doubt this. If they were to build an emergency dock, they would do so in a part of the ship that makes it easier to land to. That bay is placed closer to the main body of the ship, raising the probability of impact with the ship in case of emergency. smile.gif

That's if the person landing had an emergency. What is the primary bay had the emergency?
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Mar 31st 2008, 2:53 PM
Post #57

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Mar 31st 2008, 9:19 PM) *

That's if the person landing had an emergency. What is the primary bay had the emergency?

Isn't the ship like symmetrical? That would mean there are two of these primary landing bays, and two more of these extra bays. Now, one of the primary landing bays could have the emergency, but wouldn't it be a nasty coincidence if both primary bays have an emergency? 1.gif
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 31st 2008, 3:02 PM
Post #58

General
Group Icon

The second of the two landing bays is kept for emergency reasons. Only one of the bays is used for launching 302s, etc and the second is kept free for ships to land quickly during battles or emergencies.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Mar 31st 2008, 4:09 PM
Post #59

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Mar 31st 2008, 2:53 PM) *

Isn't the ship like symmetrical? That would mean there are two of these primary landing bays, and two more of these extra bays. Now, one of the primary landing bays could have the emergency, but wouldn't it be a nasty coincidence if both primary bays have an emergency? 1.gif

Yes, I did forget about the other side of the ship.

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Mar 31st 2008, 3:02 PM) *

The second of the two landing bays is kept for emergency reasons. Only one of the bays is used for launching 302s, etc and the second is kept free for ships to land quickly during battles or emergencies.

RIght, you wouldn't want to have two way traffic during a battle
+Quote Post
Wraith Waxer
post Apr 1st 2008, 9:23 AM
Post #60

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 17,987

It says 2 in here http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/304
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Apr 1st 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #61

General
Group Icon

Stop linking that page, you must have done it half a dozen times by now. Everyone knows that a 304 has two landing bays.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Apr 1st 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #62

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Apr 1st 2008, 7:57 PM) *

Stop linking that page, you must have done it half a dozen times by now. Everyone knows that a 304 has two landing bays.

Actually, he only linked it twice. But you're right, he did post one nasty spam this time. biggrin.gif

I think he was referring to the fact that the secondary bays, the small ones near the middle body of the ship are not mentioned on that site. My advice to you, WraithWaxer would be to find more reliable sources than the wiki, or wait for TPTB to actually tell us more about it.

Now back to the episode at hand, I still don't trust our capacity to build a human form replicator. It seemed kind of forced. How much has it been since our first encounter with the Asurans? Ah yes, one year and a half. Too convenient I say. 1.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Apr 1st 2008, 6:17 PM
Post #63

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Apr 1st 2008, 1:30 PM) *

Actually, he only linked it twice. But you're right, he did post one nasty spam this time. biggrin.gif

I think he was referring to the fact that the secondary bays, the small ones near the middle body of the ship are not mentioned on that site. My advice to you, WraithWaxer would be to find more reliable sources than the wiki, or wait for TPTB to actually tell us more about it.

Now back to the episode at hand, I still don't trust our capacity to build a human form replicator. It seemed kind of forced. How much has it been since our first encounter with the Asurans? Ah yes, one year and a half. Too convenient I say. 1.gif

Maybe.

We have had quite a lot of experience wit not only the Asurans, but with the replicators of our own galaxy and the Asgard's.

Obviously we aren't there yet, given the mess that was made.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Apr 2nd 2008, 3:08 PM
Post #64

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Apr 2nd 2008, 2:17 AM) *

Maybe.

We have had quite a lot of experience wit not only the Asurans, but with the replicators of our own galaxy and the Asgard's.

Obviously we aren't there yet, given the mess that was made.

What I would have liked to see was more intermediary steps before reaching the result from this episode, and a longer period before reaching this step. I am aware that we are not there yet, but at this rate, we will be much to soon to be considered realistic in my opinion. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Apr 2nd 2008, 7:38 PM
Post #65

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Apr 2nd 2008, 4:08 PM) *

What I would have liked to see was more intermediary steps before reaching the result from this episode, and a longer period before reaching this step. I am aware that we are not there yet, but at this rate, we will be much to soon to be considered realistic in my opinion. smile.gif

TPTB do keep doing that. All of a sudden we find out that somebody somewhere has been sitting on all this information and advanced technology, and something has to be done immediately. It just doesn't seem very thought out... It seems like they are creating convenient plot points.

It's like TPTB are planning one main arc, and anything that doesn't relate directly to that arc is left to episode-by-episode writing, without any planning or meaning.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Apr 3rd 2008, 2:05 AM
Post #66

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(Revan @ Apr 2nd 2008, 7:38 PM) *

TPTB do keep doing that. All of a sudden we find out that somebody somewhere has been sitting on all this information and advanced technology, and something has to be done immediately. It just doesn't seem very thought out... It seems like they are creating convenient plot points.

It's like TPTB are planning one main arc, and anything that doesn't relate directly to that arc is left to episode-by-episode writing, without any planning or meaning.

In other words, they come up with a story idea and say, "well where can we put this one? Or who can we have do this?" Nothing is well planned out or thought out in advance. Unless Doctor Who, or BSG, after you watch a season, you can see that the writers knew exactly what they were doing and where they were going with the stories.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Apr 3rd 2008, 2:31 AM
Post #67

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Apr 3rd 2008, 10:05 AM) *

In other words, they come up with a story idea and say, "well where can we put this one? Or who can we have do this?" Nothing is well planned out or thought out in advance. Unless Doctor Who, or BSG, after you watch a season, you can see that the writers knew exactly what they were doing and where they were going with the stories.

For that matter, I guess that you can also watch the early seasons of SG-1 and notice the same careful planning the writers had for grouping episodes and story arcs. I hope that Universe gets better treatment on this matter, and it should, it's their chance to shine yet again.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Apr 3rd 2008, 7:34 PM
Post #68

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Apr 3rd 2008, 2:31 AM) *

For that matter, I guess that you can also watch the early seasons of SG-1 and notice the same careful planning the writers had for grouping episodes and story arcs. I hope that Universe gets better treatment on this matter, and it should, it's their chance to shine yet again.

You are correct during seasons 1-4, there is a definite storyarc, with the lone episode here and there. I personally feel that seasons 1-4 are the very best seasons of all. During these early years you can see the storyarcs and continue to see the ongoing chemistry that the 4 main characters have. You can also see just how easy Hammond and Frasier fit into that group.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Apr 4th 2008, 9:08 AM
Post #69

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Apr 4th 2008, 3:34 AM) *

You are correct during seasons 1-4, there is a definite storyarc, with the lone episode here and there. I personally feel that seasons 1-4 are the very best seasons of all. During these early years you can see the storyarcs and continue to see the ongoing chemistry that the 4 main characters have. You can also see just how easy Hammond and Frasier fit into that group.

I would also include Season 5 on this one. It was part of the same package deal as the rest of the 4, and it is written pretty much in the same way. After Daniel left, and the show started being aired on Sci Fi, thus the first big changes occurred, it all started going down hill. Personally I think that, without that turning point the show would have went much better passed Season 5. The Goa'uld would have been defeated much harder, old plots would have been revisited, and the great interaction between the 4 main characters would have been kept at maximum. The show was ideal. wink.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Apr 4th 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #70

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Apr 4th 2008, 9:08 AM) *

I would also include Season 5 on this one. It was part of the same package deal as the rest of the 4, and it is written pretty much in the same way. After Daniel left, and the show started being aired on Sci Fi, thus the first big changes occurred, it all started going down hill. Personally I think that, without that turning point the show would have went much better passed Season 5. The Goa'uld would have been defeated much harder, old plots would have been revisited, and the great interaction between the 4 main characters would have been kept at maximum. The show was ideal. wink.gif

I agree, I think the show would have been better had it stayed on showtime, but I doubt it would have the following it has, or would have gone on for as long. Its very hard for a scifi show like SG1 to do well on Premium cable channels. Look at Odyssey 5.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Apr 4th 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #71

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Apr 4th 2008, 9:08 AM) *

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Apr 4th 2008, 10:15 AM) *

I agree, I think the show would have been better had it stayed on showtime, but I doubt it would have the following it has, or would have gone on for as long. Its very hard for a scifi show like SG1 to do well on Premium cable channels. Look at Odyssey 5.

I liked season 5 up to a point. Season 6 only had moments. I did not like season 7 at all except for a very few episodes. While others didn't, I thoroughly enjoyed season 8 because we did get the dynamics of the fab four once again. The show, evern though I love it, should have ended at the end of season 8. They tried to keep it going. They tried to recreate what they had, but did not succeed with Mitchell.

I would hazard a guess that most shows thought are sci-fi oriented do not make it on premium cable. I believe the cost was one of the reasons that they went to the scifi channel to begin with, and it had a broader base.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Apr 4th 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #72

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Apr 4th 2008, 6:19 PM) *

I liked season 5 up to a point. Season 6 only had moments. I did not like season 7 at all except for a very few episodes. While others didn't, I thoroughly enjoyed season 8 because we did get the dynamics of the fab four once again. The show, evern though I love it, should have ended at the end of season 8. They tried to keep it going. They tried to recreate what they had, but did not succeed with Mitchell.

I would hazard a guess that most shows thought are sci-fi oriented do not make it on premium cable. I believe the cost was one of the reasons that they went to the scifi channel to begin with, and it had a broader base.

Yes indeed, Season 8 showed us a new peak SG-1 reached, and IMO, even though it wasn't as good as the early seasons (far from them actually), a new peak was also reached by Season 10, and the show looked like it was once again going in the right direction to establish new dynamics. We shouldn't dwell in this part of the subject however, since it was firmly discussed when the show was canceled. biggrin.gif

My point is that, if it is to succeed the new Stargate Universe has to prove an ingenious combination of originality, character chemistry and story telling starting from Season 1, otherwise I don't see it standing. The franchise's character quality has fallen in the past years and many fans demand it working. smile.gif
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 29th 2014 - 1:50 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.