post Feb 4th 2008, 4:30 AM
Post #25

Major General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 4th 2008, 4:13 AM) *

I thought unexpected power loss was a bad thing for computers... huh.gif

I liked how, without warning, they beamed him right out of his hotel room. As we have seen before, somehow, he is a ladies man. laugh.gif The x-wife was an interesting insight, but I thought her presence wasn't entirely necessary. I liked the brother-to-brother dynamic, though.

Only if the power source fries the hard disk upon being fried itself when the shock occurs (bad vendor). I assure you that the storage system they would be using for that stasis pod will have a great security system.

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Feb 4th 2008, 6:53 AM) *

Well, you don't typically lose harddrive information when unexpectedly losing power, but you can (thats one reason why we back up servers). That's not what I meant. The whole world is being driven by the processors, it would suck if the world just shut down on her.
The doctor being beamed out from his hotel room was funny to me, but you would think that they would warn you before just beaming you up to the ship. What if you aren't dressed?

If the world would shut down on her, the program will stop functioning. It's like she will be put in sleep mode. When the program will restart again, she will continue on from what she was doing. She wouldn't be experiencing the shut down.

One minor thing necessary for that to be true: the virtual world progress would have to be kept on a non-volatile memory (so something basically different than RAM type memory). A flash memory would adequate, but it would have to be extremely resistant to many many writes. I'm sure though that the device has a very good dynamic memory implemented. biggrin.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Raxor
post Feb 4th 2008, 7:42 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 174

im still waiting for Mike to chime in on here (and i think i know why he would)

I think lee was probabbly contacted before. And if you went on holiday the last thing you would take would be work clothes...
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 4th 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #27

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(Raxor @ Feb 4th 2008, 7:42 PM) *

im still waiting for Mike to chime in on here (and i think i know why he would)

I think lee was probabbly contacted before. And if you went on holiday the last thing you would take would be work clothes...

But he was wearing a hula shirt... Didn't he say he didn't like being abruptly beamed out of his hotel room?
+Quote Post
BigusDickus
post Feb 5th 2008, 12:31 PM
Post #28

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,661

Yes he did, but he also said he shouldnt have left his phone on as they rang him first to check it was ok to beam him out. Also the work clothes would have been on board the earth ship.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 5th 2008, 3:11 PM
Post #29

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Feb 4th 2008, 4:30 AM) *

One minor thing necessary for that to be true: the virtual world progress would have to be kept on a non-volatile memory (so something basically different than RAM type memory). A flash memory would adequate, but it would have to be extremely resistant to many many writes. I'm sure though that the device has a very good dynamic memory implemented. biggrin.gif

I still want to know where they got it.

Did they take a bunch of them off of the Orion while they had it, or are we to believe they built it? I like how so many of our Ancient programming patchs fail miserably, creating viable storylines, but when we want a quick fix, we can program an entire world for a Replicator.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Feb 5th 2008, 4:01 PM
Post #30

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 5th 2008, 10:11 PM) *

Did they take a bunch of them off of the Orion while they had it, or are we to believe they built it? I like how so many of our Ancient programming patchs fail miserably, creating viable storylines, but when we want a quick fix, we can program an entire world for a Replicator.

Yes, I was thinking something similar. It couldn't have been entirely the Ancient device there. Sure, maybe the hardware was theirs, but the software was definitely ours. How were they able to input an entire virtual world into the device? I'm sure the Ancients didn't left instructions on the Aurora or something. 1.gif
+Quote Post
seymour
post Feb 5th 2008, 4:12 PM
Post #31

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,394

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 2nd 2008, 3:09 AM) *
Good things:
1. Dr. Lee and doing something correct.

Bad things:
1. Once again Sam was an afterthought.
3. Not an Atlantis episode, furthering the story.

I agree.

I don't think this episode should be counted as one with Carter! If you blinked you would have missed her. That would take her appearances down to 13 out of 20 episodes. Am I right?

+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Feb 5th 2008, 4:28 PM
Post #32

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

Another predictable episode. It was obvious that more than one Replicator was created. The episode would have been more interesting if TPTB had gone into Sheppard's past. What they gave us was a more like a padded out short story.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 5th 2008, 4:43 PM
Post #33

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Feb 5th 2008, 4:28 PM) *

Another predictable episode. It was obvious that more than one Replicator was created. The episode would have been more interesting if TPTB had gone into Sheppard's past. What they gave us was a more like a padded out short story.

The storyline that involved Sheppard's dad did seem too small. Maybe TPTB didn't feel they needed to change anything about the original pitch. If this came from Flanigan, maybe that was his part, and they didn't add anything to it?
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 5th 2008, 5:01 PM
Post #34

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 5th 2008, 4:43 PM) *

The storyline that involved Sheppard's dad did seem too small. Maybe TPTB didn't feel they needed to change anything about the original pitch. If this came from Flanigan, maybe that was his part, and they didn't add anything to it?

The teleplay did come from Flanigan. He may not have wanted to go more indepth. Personally, for me, I got what I needed about his past. Like I said, I had forgotten that he had been married. But it was nice to see he had a brother, and even though we knew he had to have had parents, it was nice to see what happened, what sent him out there.
+Quote Post
JC1
post Feb 5th 2008, 5:15 PM
Post #35

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 342

I did like the episode, but to be honest I would have preferred more backround and development for Sheppard. For the main character on a show that's into it's 4th season, we really know very little about him. We learned more about Mitchell in 2 seasons of SG1. While we did get some backround for Sheppard, it was a bit too vague in my opinion.

Small nitpicks, but why did Bates say he was honourably discharged from the Air Force. He was a Marine back in season 1. And Sheppard really shouldn't need to throught his ex-wife to get access to a Homeland security file. His Air Force/SGC connections should easily get him access.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Feb 5th 2008, 6:11 PM
Post #36

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JC1 @ Feb 5th 2008, 10:15 PM) *
And Sheppard really shouldn't need to throught his ex-wife to get access to a Homeland security file. His Air Force/SGC connections should easily get him access.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Surely he has clearance to anything relating to the Stargate Program?
+Quote Post
seymour
post Feb 5th 2008, 6:41 PM
Post #37

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,394

QUOTE(JC1 @ Feb 5th 2008, 5:15 PM) *

I did like the episode, but to be honest I would have preferred more backround and development for Sheppard. For the main character on a show that's into it's 4th season, we really know very little about him. We learned more about Mitchell in 2 seasons of SG1. While we did get some backround for Sheppard, it was a bit too vague in my opinion.

Small nitpicks, but why did Bates say he was honourably discharged from the Air Force. He was a Marine back in season 1. And Sheppard really shouldn't need to throught his ex-wife to get access to a Homeland security file. His Air Force/SGC connections should easily get him access.

I agree.

Sheppard never reacts to events (except by shooting) so I'm still none the wiser about what the character's emotions were meant to be towards his father and his brother. Way too vague.

The ex-wife Homeland Security sneaking out information for her ex-husband whom she hadn't seen in 4 years was simply ridiculous. Take away that woman's security clearance! Surely, Sheppard had more reliable sources to find out the information her needed. Hasn't he heard of the SGC- they're pretty could at finding stuff out - or the IOA?
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Feb 5th 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #38

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 5th 2008, 10:01 PM) *

The teleplay did come from Flanigan. He may not have wanted to go more indepth.

According to Joe Malozzi's blog (it's a constant point of reference) Joe F came up with the original idea of 'replicator on Earth'.
QUOTE(Joe Mallozzi [url=http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com)
Joe's original pitch consisted of Sheppard tracking down a replicator on Earth.
Although it doesn't say how much of the rest of the story he came up with. It would be good to know. But like a lot of people, seeing more of Joe's past would have been good, but that's not to say that I didn't like the rest of the episode, as I did.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Feb 5th 2008, 10:51 PM
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 6th 2008, 1:40 AM
Post #39

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

I agree. They simply used it as a plot point to get more airtime for the ex-wife, which came across to me as if she was sad it had ended. I agree it is a nitpick and truly doesn't make any sense whatsoever. rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 6th 2008, 3:57 AM
Post #40

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Nice nitpick LoL

Why would Sheppard have access to a Homeland Security file? Barring the IOA making a request to the President, Homeland Security is somewhat unrelated to the Stargate project and all related matters.
+Quote Post
JC1
post Feb 6th 2008, 8:32 AM
Post #41

Captain
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 6th 2008, 8:57 AM) *

Why would Sheppard have access to a Homeland Security file? Barring the IOA making a request to the President, Homeland Security is somewhat unrelated to the Stargate project and all related matters.

Sheppard may not have had immediate access, but he should have been able to easily get access through the SGC or the NID. We've seen the SGC request assistance from the CIA and NSA, in the past, with no problems. Not to mention, General O'Neill is head of Homeworld Security, He should have no problems with access.

So there were plenty of official way's Sheppard could easily have gotten access to the file. He really didn't need his ex-wife to steal if for him.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 6th 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #42

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(JC1 @ Feb 6th 2008, 8:32 AM) *

So there were plenty of official way's Sheppard could easily have gotten access to the file. He really didn't need his ex-wife to steal if for him.

All those ways would have taken time... Sheppard is impatient and wanted to bypass all the red tape. My disbelief is, in this instance, sufficiently suspended. smile.gif
+Quote Post
JC1
post Feb 6th 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #43

Captain
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 6th 2008, 4:33 PM) *

All those ways would have taken time... Sheppard is impatient and wanted to bypass all the red tape. My disbelief is, in this instance, sufficiently suspended. smile.gif

Given the seriosness of the situation, I really doubt it would have taken that long.

Also, Sheppards ex-wife didn't actually agree to get to file. Her showing up with it was a surprise to him.
+Quote Post
Wraith Waxer
post Mar 15th 2008, 4:41 PM
Post #44

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 17,987

Has anyone else noticed this.
IPB Image
the second hangar on one side.

This post has been edited by Wraith Waxer: Mar 15th 2008, 4:44 PM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Mar 15th 2008, 6:43 PM
Post #45

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Wraith Waxer @ Mar 15th 2008, 5:41 PM) *

Has anyone else noticed this.
IPB Image
the second hangar on one side.

Cargo bay probably... Or part of the hyperdrive nacelle.
+Quote Post
Wraith Waxer
post Mar 16th 2008, 6:04 AM
Post #46

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 17,987

Well I have noticed it before but it usually isn't lit up.
And judging by this there are only two hangar bays.
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/304
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 16th 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #47

General
Group Icon

There are only two cargo/launch bays on a 304. What you have posted is most likely light relecting and creating shadows making it look like another cargo bay.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Mar 16th 2008, 11:10 AM
Post #48

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Mar 16th 2008, 11:56 AM) *

There are only two cargo/launch bays on a 304. What you have posted is most likely like relecting and creating shadows making it look like another cargo bay.

No it's always there and it always looks like that. I always assumed it was part of the hyperdrive. Basically it looks like they took the landing bay nacelle and scaled it down... It is the same shape exactly.

The 304 is a strange design. In an effort to make something particular to the Stargate universe, TPTB and their art department made something strange and somewhat silly. The ship looks like it's wearing a hat...
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 23rd 2014 - 1:19 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.