post Jan 24th 2008, 7:17 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 4, Episode 14 - Harmony
Air date: January 25, 2008

Sheppard and McKay agree to accompany a young princess on a rite of passage in order to maintain diplomatic relations.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Reignfire
post Jan 25th 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #2

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,640

OMG, that painting at the end was hilarious! Other than that, I thought it was rather boring.
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Jan 25th 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #3

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,304

I'm not quite sure what to think of this episode.

On one hand, it was another non-arc related, filler/comedy episode, and it certainly didn't have the greatest plot. On the other hand, it had some good humor and I love John and Rodney episodes.

I hated the whole Genii presence. They had no purpose in the episode and it seemed like they were there just so that people wouldn't forget the existed after about 2/3 of a season without them. They never explained where the orders were even coming from. Seriously, was this some random mercenary group or was this actually approved by some higher-ups? The whole thing would have been better had the bad guys been natives to the planet they were on. (The only good things about the Genii was the line Rodney delivered about what was being taught in Genii school.)

Also, I'm starting to feel like anytime someone on an alien planet has to go somewhere and do something important, or has some awesome toy that does something important, Ancient technology is involved... Not surprising I guess, but some day it will get old...

In sum, what a bland and boring filler episode...

This post has been edited by Protoziggy90: Jan 25th 2008, 11:09 PM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 26th 2008, 2:00 AM
Post #4

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

"Basically we're equals"

"Technically I'm in charge"

What? Invented drones in Pegasus? Even though there was a chair platform with drones on Earth? I think the writers blew it throwing that one in.

The idea of mini drones is interesting to me though, perhaps a handgun that fires drones. Will they figure out how to make their own drones? Is that the next step towards making a ZPM?

And yes, that painting was the funniest thing ever. This could have been the worst episode ever, but with that painting at the end, its top 5 funny.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 26th 2008, 2:26 AM
Post #5

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

LMAO! laugh.gif

That painting at the end totally made my day.

The little girl was one of the young versions of Adria, and having looked at her imdb page, I am impessed with the number of projects she has worked on.

We don't know where TPTB are going with the drone proving ground arc, so I don't think we can yet pass judgement on it... I was wondering what sort of Atlantean weapon would be targetting the Genii though, and am content with the outcome.

I liked all the interactions in this episode, but was disappointed when they discussed relationships and completely forgot about Rodney and Katie.

EDIT: Was this yet another rogue Genii faction?
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 26th 2008, 3:00 AM
Post #6

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 26th 2008, 7:26 AM) *

EDIT: Was this yet another rogue Genii faction?

Actually, I'll say this is probably the genuine Genii. We have never seen the Genii politics since Laden took over except with Atlantis, odds are they may still be acting slightly evil with their deals with other planets. Or it may have been a faction of them who were ordered to get talks with those people back up, and this is what they did.

But the episode, I found it really funny laugh.gif I loved all the banter and at the begining I was not sure where they'd go with it, but when it was funny I enjoyed seeing that and therefore I enjoyed seeing the episode. So a good one in my books.

The drones being invented in Pegasus, ooh.... that one was a ball dropped me think. I suppose it's theoretically possible that they were developed in Pegasus and then data was sent back to the milkyway so tech could be developed at both. But still given we don't know if any Ancients were still in the MW then it was a bit of a questionable plot point to throw in. Especially since the episode could have gotten away with the fact dropped and not suffered at all. We would have just seen 'smaller drones'. But eh well.

I noticed almost immediately that the girl was young Adria, I'm thinking how can there be that few child actors in Vancouver laugh.gif But she played the role very well so I'll let it off a little.
Also I think the head of the Genii was the one eyed Goa'uld/Jaffa (can't remember which) from Orpheus, who was holding Bratac and Ryac prisoner.

But I liked the episode, quite a good one 7-8/10.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jan 26th 2008, 3:23 AM
Post #7

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

Surprisingly, I enjoyed this episode. Yes it was not part of the arc storylines, but every once in awhile you need that comedic relief, and this provided it.

That little girl was a total brat, and so much like Rodney! She was conceited, arrogant, smart and expected people to pretty much bow down to her. smile.gif

I saw the writing on the wall that she was going to go for John. Don't all the women. rolleyes.gif

I don't know about these Genii, but I figured it would be the middle sister that was the betrayer. How cool was it that they checked both sisters rooms and didn't assume which one it was.

As far as the drones, isn't it about time that they figured out how to make them? Why can't they find that out from the Atlantis data base?

Everyone is totally correct, that painting at the end was hysterical. Rodney, "that's pretty much how I remembered it." wink.gif

So do all these people have the ancient gene? or only some of them? Was this younger sister picked because she had it and the others didn't? How do they know who has it?

The one major complaint I had was the very beginning when Rodney claimed dibbs on the third sister since the other two were into John. I'm not sure of the taping schedule of the episodes, but last week was when Katie and Rodney broke up. I thought that they were working pretty hard to turn Rodney into John, as to women. I would have expected a bit more sensitivity to that break up. Maybe they are just going to forget that the relationship happened at all.

+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 26th 2008, 3:33 AM
Post #8

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jan 26th 2008, 8:23 AM) *

The one major complaint I had was the very beginning when Rodney claimed dibbs on the third sister since the other two were into John. I'm not sure of the taping schedule of the episodes, but last week was when Katie and Rodney broke up. I thought that they were working pretty hard to turn Rodney into John, as to women. I would have expected a bit more sensitivity to that break up. Maybe they are just going to forget that the relationship happened at all.

Ok I'll clear something up because Revan mentioned something too, this episode was shuffled up the airing order list. It wasn't originally intended to be the 14th ep but the 17th I think, it was moved up the schedule although I don't know why (I think it was Sci fi). So any lack of Katie/other character follow up may be for that reason, but as long as something happens soon imo I will be cool with it.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jan 26th 2008, 11:03 AM
Post #9

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 26th 2008, 3:33 AM) *

Ok I'll clear something up because Revan mentioned something too, this episode was shuffled up the airing order list. It wasn't originally intended to be the 14th ep but the 17th I think, it was moved up the schedule although I don't know why (I think it was Sci fi). So any lack of Katie/other character follow up may be for that reason, but as long as something happens soon imo I will be cool with it.

Okay, thanks for that clarification. I said I didn't know the taping schedule. This just points the finger at sci-fi once again. They truly don't care about the fans, or how the story is supposed to be told.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 26th 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #10

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 26th 2008, 2:26 AM) *

The little girl was one of the young versions of Adria, and having looked at her imdb page, I am impessed with the number of projects she has worked on.

I had that thought, but then figured that I must be wrong.

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jan 26th 2008, 3:23 AM) *

So do all these people have the ancient gene? or only some of them? Was this younger sister picked because she had it and the others didn't? How do they know who has it?

I think that the ceremony they spoke of was a sort of a gene detection deal. I thought Rodney mentioned some ancient technology they had back at the palace, but we didn't actually get to see it.

I thought this was interesting, because the society seemed to be predicated around the Ancient gene, the same way that the the society in 'The Tower' was. I enjoy when they revisit previous ideas, even if it's subtle.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Jan 26th 2008, 11:21 AM
+Quote Post
dr lee
post Jan 26th 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #11

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,109

I'm certain TPTB based Harmony on my sister...

I'm going to have to re-watch the drone bit but did Rodney say that this was where they invented Drones or were they expermenting with different types of drones?

That painting will become my sig on Wednesday laugh.gif

+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 26th 2008, 1:03 PM
Post #12

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

Oh, that girl was really annoying and since I saw this prince(ss)-brat-everything-is-my-kingdom type behavior before in other movies, rather cliche. I hated every scene they had with her. I'm sure TPTB had their goals to achieve with her, like plot development, humor to the audience and all, but it didn't throw any interest at all to me. Sure, this episode had some good moments, like the Genii negotiation (especially the one in which Sheppard took the device: "Good."... "Elaborate"... "Real good.") laugh.gif

Sure, those small good moments can't possibly make up for the rest of the episode. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
jacksworld
post Jan 26th 2008, 2:11 PM
Post #13

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,030

This episode was not all that bad. I thought it was pretty funny especially, with the painting at the end of the episode. I was cracking up with that one. As for the beast turning out to be ancient technology, i have to admit i am a bit disapointed wit that. I was hoping to see a real monster! Cant we have an episode where they end on a planet filled with creatures like the Unas and so forth. Serisouly, I think we need to start seeing other aliens besides humans and wraiths.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 26th 2008, 2:24 PM
Post #14

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(jacksworld @ Jan 26th 2008, 9:11 PM) *

This episode was not all that bad. I thought it was pretty funny especially, with the painting at the end of the episode. I was cracking up with that one. As for the beast turning out to be ancient technology, i have to admit i am a bit disapointed wit that. I was hoping to see a real monster! Cant we have an episode where they end on a planet filled with creatures like the Unas and so forth. Serisouly, I think we need to start seeing other aliens besides humans and wraiths.

That is a good point actually. I miss seeing other races out there. But you do know what the real problem is, don't you: the special effects budget will increase, and I've noticed that they have carefully avoided that with the Atlantis series unless episodes are close to season finales or mid season. whistling.gif

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Jan 26th 2008, 2:25 PM
+Quote Post
jacksworld
post Jan 26th 2008, 2:28 PM
Post #15

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,030

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Jan 26th 2008, 2:24 PM) *

That is a good point actually. I miss seeing other races out there. But you do know what the real problem is, don't you: the special effects budget will increase, and I've noticed that they have carefully avoided that with the Atlantis series unless episodes are close to season finales or mid season. whistling.gif

Yea your right, i have noticed that myself...ITs a shame though becuase i think it could really help the show out some more if you had other races that arent human added in the mix.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 26th 2008, 3:43 PM
Post #16

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 26th 2008, 3:00 AM) *

The drones being invented in Pegasus, ooh.... that one was a ball dropped me think. I suppose it's theoretically possible that they were developed in Pegasus and then data was sent back to the milkyway so tech could be developed at both. But still given we don't know if any Ancients were still in the MW then it was a bit of a questionable plot point to throw in. Especially since the episode could have gotten away with the fact dropped and not suffered at all. We would have just seen 'smaller drones'. But eh well.

The Ancients would have sent an exploration party to Pegasus long before they decided to escape there. I would think they were using some of those planets as testing grounds long before they seeded them. I don't know why you would use a populated planet to test weaponry...

We don't know if drone-weapons were tested and produced in Pegasus, and that the Ancients intended to go there all along.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 26th 2008, 4:29 PM
Post #17

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(dr lee @ Jan 26th 2008, 12:20 PM) *

I'm certain TPTB based Harmony on my sister...

I'm going to have to re-watch the drone bit but did Rodney say that this was where they invented Drones or were they expermenting with different types of drones?

That painting will become my sig on Wednesday laugh.gif

Yeah, he said that he'd been looking for that planet for 2 years, which also bugs me. Did the database say, there is some secret planet where we are creating these new handle drone type weapons? If it were mentioned in the database, there should have been an address to go along with it.

I like the way the elaborated on the Ancients keeping stuff away from each other with the key. It only made sense that they had ways of keeping things to themselves, but anyone with the gene seemed capable of doing whatever they wanted.

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Jan 26th 2008, 1:03 PM) *

Oh, that girl was really annoying and since I saw this prince(ss)-brat-everything-is-my-kingdom type behavior before in other movies, rather cliche. I hated every scene they had with her. I'm sure TPTB had their goals to achieve with her, like plot development, humor to the audience and all, but it didn't throw any interest at all to me. Sure, this episode had some good moments, like the Genii negotiation (especially the one in which Sheppard took the device: "Good."... "Elaborate"... "Real good.") laugh.gif

Sure, those small good moments can't possibly make up for the rest of the episode. biggrin.gif

The girl was annoying, but she was meant to be, and I think that's what allowed the ep to be good. Especially when she switched from Shep to Mkay.

EDIT: I'm not sure how far in advance the Ancients would have needed to investigate the galaxy. They were traveling with their city, and they've already spent thousands of years travelling through space as a people.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Jan 26th 2008, 4:31 PM
+Quote Post
Reignfire
post Jan 26th 2008, 5:37 PM
Post #18

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 26th 2008, 1:26 AM) *

I knew she looked familiar, but I didn't put much thought into it or else I would had noticed that.

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 26th 2008, 2:33 AM) *

Yeah, shuffling doesn't bother me unless it's ridiculously obvious like Affinity/Covenant.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 26th 2008, 5:47 PM
Post #19

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Reignfire @ Jan 26th 2008, 10:37 PM) *

Yeah, shuffling doesn't bother me unless it's ridiculously obvious like Affinity/Covenant.

Oh yeah, but Sky One always put Fail Safe before the Summit and Last Stand two parter, so it makes NO sense. (As they're salvaging the cargo ship they crash in two episodes time) I believe they did that so they would have a cliffhanger to stretch out the Christmas break.

Edit: Apparently one of the sisters was also in Emancipation as well.

Edit 2: I just had a thought is this the first episode we don't see Atlantis in any of it?

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Jan 26th 2008, 5:56 PM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 26th 2008, 6:50 PM
Post #20

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 26th 2008, 5:47 PM) *

Edit 2: I just had a thought is this the first episode we don't see Atlantis in any of it?

I didn't even think about that. They didn't even communicate with Atlantis through the gate. It was just Rodney and Mckay doing their thing.

EDIT: McKay and Sheppard that is.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Jan 26th 2008, 8:37 PM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 26th 2008, 7:39 PM
Post #21

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 26th 2008, 6:50 PM) *

I didn't even think about that. They didn't even communicate with Atlantis through the gate. It was just Rodney and Mckay doing their thing.

Yeah I definitely don't even remember them speaking to Atlantis in any actual scene.

Well I imagine Rodney would have you believe such a thing...

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 26th 2008, 5:47 PM) *

Oh yeah, but Sky One always put Fail Safe before the Summit and Last Stand two parter, so it makes NO sense. (As they're salvaging the cargo ship they crash in two episodes time) I believe they did that so they would have a cliffhanger to stretch out the Christmas break.

Thats just odd... It wouldn't make any sense in terms of the story arc.

Was she a little kid at the time?

EDIT: It was her first performance, and she was like 16. (Crystal Lowe)
+Quote Post
dr lee
post Jan 26th 2008, 8:10 PM
Post #22

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,109

Maybe the drones used in Lost City were placed there when the Ancients returned from Pegasus?

Hope we see more of this mini-drone tech I kinda like the idea of smaller drones
+Quote Post
Reignfire
post Jan 26th 2008, 8:12 PM
Post #23

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 26th 2008, 4:47 PM) *

I think there have been others. I don't think Miller's Crossing showed Atlantis at all. The Defiant One might be the first one?
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 26th 2008, 8:15 PM
Post #24

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Reignfire @ Jan 27th 2008, 1:12 AM) *

I think there have been others. I don't think Miller's Crossing showed Atlantis at all. The Defiant One might be the first one?

Nah Millers Crossing had the scene where Mckay's trying to figure out the equation before Zelenka tells him to contact his sister, and The Defiant One had the scenes on the base with Weir telling Ford to send a Jumper out to Sheppards position.

And yeah holy crap the girl who played Harmony has been in 41 things at the age of 13!

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Jan 26th 2008, 8:16 PM
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 23rd 2014 - 5:11 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.