Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate Atlantis only. Atlantis spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate SG-1 Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Atlantis ship size
Lament
post Jan 15th 2008, 3:12 PM
Post #1

Airman Basic

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,964

Sorry if this has been asked before, or expounded upon in a previous thread. I have been doing some searching, and can't quite get the exact answers. Keep in mind, I am only looking at those ships that we have seen regularly from the Atlantis season. If there is a ship here or there that I have missed, feel free to add it in.

I will start with what I think is the smallest and work my way to the biggest. Please correct me and give as close to dimensions as you can:

PuddleJumper- About the size of a UH60, only wider, and not as long
Wraith Dart- Again, about the same size, only longer, and not as wide
Daedlus/Korolev/Odyssey- About the size of an aircraft carrier?
Aurora class ancient ship- About five times the size of the above?
Wraith Hive- About 10 times the size of the above?
Atlantis- How much bigger than the above? Or is it about the same size?

Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can offer.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 15th 2008, 3:31 PM
Post #2

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

Atlantis is about the size of Manhattan, they said in a season 1 episode. And Joe Mallozzi said in his blog that's the general size they think of it in the writers room.

I don't think Hives are 10x the size of Auroras, but we haven't really bee given much of a comparrison. Other then that yeah I'd say probably...
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Jan 16th 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #3

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 15th 2008, 9:31 PM) *

Atlantis is about the size of Manhattan, they said in a season 1 episode. And Joe Mallozzi said in his blog that's the general size they think of it in the writers room.

I don't think Hives are 10x the size of Auroras, but we haven't really bee given much of a comparrison. Other then that yeah I'd say probably...

i'd say the size of a hive is about 1 1/2 times the size of an aurora class ship maybe 2 times but not much bigger than that.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 16th 2008, 10:27 AM
Post #4

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

We don't know and can't possibly speculate. We've only seen them in space, distances and relatives sizes can't be determined in space as there is no way to gain an accurate perspective.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Jan 17th 2008, 10:20 AM
Post #5

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 16th 2008, 4:27 PM) *

We don't know and can't possibly speculate. We've only seen them in space, distances and relatives sizes can't be determined in space as there is no way to gain an accurate perspective.

that is true but we have seen some close up shot of them in battles so i'd say my best guess would be roughly close to the correct size.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 17th 2008, 4:17 PM
Post #6

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 15th 2008, 8:31 PM) *
All McKay said was, searching Atlantis would be like searching every room on Manhattan. It has never been said Atlantis is similar in size to Manhattan Island and going by what you said in the 'Spoils of War' thread ("Unless it is said on the show, it isn't canon") we don't know the relative size of Atlantis. wink.gif
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Jan 17th 2008, 5:49 PM
Post #7

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 18th 2008, 8:17 AM) *

All McKay said was, searching Atlantis would be like searching every room on Manhattan. It has never been said Atlantis is similar in size to Manhattan Island and going by what you said in the 'Spoils of War' thread ("Unless it is said on the show, it isn't canon") we don't know the relative size of Atlantis. wink.gif

To me saying that searching every room in Atlantis would be like searching every room in Manhattan means that they are approximately the same size. Its just a different way of saying that they are roughly the same size.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 17th 2008, 5:55 PM
Post #8

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

SGA S04E11 spoilers:
» Click to Show Spoiler «
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 17th 2008, 6:27 PM
Post #9

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Jan 17th 2008, 10:49 PM) *
To me saying that searching every room in Atlantis would be like searching every room in Manhattan means that they are approximately the same size. Its just a different way of saying that they are roughly the same size.
No. If one building has a hundred rooms all on one storey and another building also has a hundred rooms but they are evenly distributed over twenty storeys, they won't take up the same area on the ground.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Jan 17th 2008, 6:40 PM
Post #10

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 18th 2008, 10:27 AM) *

No. If one building has a hundred rooms all on one storey and another building also has a hundred rooms but they are evenly distributed over twenty storeys, they won't take up the same area on the ground.

Yes but both Manhattan and Atlantis is made up of multi-storey buildings. We don't know their exact height but we can assume that they are close enough. Remember that Atlantis has large areas which no multi-storey buildings occupy.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 17th 2008, 9:02 PM
Post #11

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

They are both cities on an island with tall buildings, an dnot so tall buildings. I don't see why Mckay would even make the comparison, except for the writers to give us an idea of how large the city was. This discussion has occured time and time again, and Daf has been steadfast on his contention that Mckay's does not give us any idea abotu the size of Atlantis.

I think, Mckay could just as easily have said, "That would be like searching 3 thousand rooms." I think they choose another relatively sized city, that is also an island, and also has tall buildings in order to make a point.

They are both cities on an island with tall buildings, an dnot so tall buildings. I don't see why Mckay would even make the comparison, except for the writers to give us an idea of how large the city was. This discussion has occured time and time again, and Daf has been steadfast on his contention that Mckay's does not give us any idea abotu the size of Atlantis.

I think, Mckay could just as easily have said, "That would be like searching 3 thousand rooms." I think they choose another relatively sized city, that is also an island, and also has tall buildings in order to make a point.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Jan 18th 2008, 8:22 AM
Post #12

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 17th 2008, 11:55 PM) *

SGA S04E11 spoilers:

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 18th 2008, 12:27 AM) *

i get what you mean here daf if all the building in manhatten are different sizes and the ones on atlantis are bigger than human built ones then atlantis whilst still having the same amount of rooms would not be nearly as big as manhatten island,for instance if the smallest building on atlantis is 150 storeys but the biggest on manhatten is 150 storeys then there'll be a lot more room on atlantis.
+Quote Post
Lament
post Jan 22nd 2008, 3:09 PM
Post #13

Airman Basic

Member No.: 13,964

So I am hoping that I that I am fairly accurate on the size of the PJ, WD, Daedlus? My guess on the Daedlus class ships is that they are actually a bit larger then aircraft carriers, as they do have to carry more equipment than an aircraft carrier.

Now when it comes to the Aurora class ships, there are two episodes that I try to use as a reference. Keep in mind, others may know the exact episodes that I am referring to as I don't know the names of the episodes.

The first one that I refer to has one of the Daedlus class ship doing it's thing, and finds a ship traveling at just below the speed of light. Basically, the stop and wait for the ship to pass them. Seemingly it is much bigger then the Daedlus class ship, but they realize that it is ancients. So they jump ahead, slow down, and cruise along and scan the ship more intently. They are able to scan it for like five seconds before it is beyond their range. So they jump ahead again, and this time send out a hail to the ship. It puts on the brakes and they talk and find out that they are Atlanteans and they invite them back to Atlantis. They then kick out the humans that are living there, and so on.

The second episode that I am thinking of is the recent midseason opener where you have Hive's, two Daedlus class ships, and a few Aurora class ships all fighting to keep the Replicator's attention.

I admit that I may be wrong in exactly what I am remembering, but I am hoping to get a better idea. I just know that the Daedlus class ships can fit in the area in a Hive ship where the two "prongs" leave a gap in the middle of the ship. Actually, if I remember correctly, you can fit two of them in there.
+Quote Post
Wraith Waxer
post Mar 8th 2008, 6:51 PM
Post #14

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 17,987

Daedalus
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Daedalus
Aurora class warship
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Aurora_class_warship

Dart
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Dart
PJ
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Puddle_Jumper

This post has been edited by Wraith Waxer: Mar 8th 2008, 6:51 PM
+Quote Post
atlantis expert/ know it all
post Jul 7th 2008, 2:34 PM
Post #15

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 19,718

QUOTE(Lament @ Jan 16th 2008, 6:12 AM) *

Sorry if this has been asked before, or expounded upon in a previous thread. I have been doing some searching, and can't quite get the exact answers. Keep in mind, I am only looking at those ships that we have seen regularly from the Atlantis season. If there is a ship here or there that I have missed, feel free to add it in.

I will start with what I think is the smallest and work my way to the biggest. Please correct me and give as close to dimensions as you can:

PuddleJumper- About the size of a UH60, only wider, and not as long
Wraith Dart- Again, about the same size, only longer, and not as wide
Daedlus/Korolev/Odyssey- About the size of an aircraft carrier?
Aurora class ancient ship- About five times the size of the above?
Wraith Hive- About 10 times the size of the above?
Atlantis- How much bigger than the above? Or is it about the same size?

Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can offer.

I dont know if it has been said but atlantis is about 300m from pir to pir with the main rear pir that house the sub-light engines being slightly longer and the central tower is about 100m plus. Now before i'm questioned a super gate is approx 300m diametre you compare the gap either side of an ori ship when passing through and then atlantis to the ori ship and you can do it that is the best estimate i can give if any one can prove me wrong go for it . And an aroura battle ship an a wriath crusier come close in size the aroura beats the hive in lenght but the hive wins in wideness lol hope that helps.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jul 7th 2008, 2:44 PM
Post #16

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Ifs only funny when certain people post drunk. The Aurora class ships are relative in size to the 304, which are tiny in comparison to the Hive, there is no way that they are longer than a hive.

Where are you getting your 300 meter measurement from?

http://reference.dictionary.com

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Jul 7th 2008, 2:44 PM
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 7th 2008, 5:06 PM
Post #17

General
Group Icon

Sorry, 300m is laughable. The city is huge, you've only got to watch the very end of 'Sunday' when McKay is standing on one of the piers to see the sheer size of the city. If anything it is miles long, not metres.
I think your choice of username was a little presumptuous.
+Quote Post
atlantis expert/ know it all
post Jul 8th 2008, 2:37 AM
Post #18

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 19,718

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jul 8th 2008, 8:06 AM) *

Sorry, 300m is laughable. The city is huge, you've only got to watch the very end of 'Sunday' when McKay is standing on one of the piers to see the sheer size of the city. If anything it is miles long, not metres.

As I stated it was ruf starting point for debate the point was verifing the size of an ori ship in comparision to a super gate, your sheir arogance to read what is written is actually quite parthetic and for the record i stated from pir to pir there are six pirs that was only a ruf radius so before you choose to judge others get your self sorted first, that is in being able to understand what has been written before commenting. Just a friendly sujestion to your sarcasium
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Jul 8th 2008, 7:42 AM
Post #19

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jul 7th 2008, 11:06 PM) *

Yeah i know i laughed out load when i read that biggrin.gif. Just by looking at it you can tell it's well over a mile
at the very least!

QUOTE(atlantis expert/ know it all @ Jul 8th 2008, 8:37 AM) *

As I stated it was ruf starting point for debate the point was verifing the size of an ori ship in comparision to a super gate, your sheir arogance to read what is written is actually quite parthetic and for the record i stated from pir to pir there are six pirs that was only a ruf radius so before you choose to judge others get your self sorted first, that is in being able to understand what has been written before commenting. Just a friendly sujestion to your sarcasium

Pir? wtf is a pir you should learn to spell properly mate. English is my second language and even i know how to spell the basic words. I think you meant peir. Also just by looking at them each peir is at least the size of an Aurara class ship if not bigger you need to go over your calculations again. To call someone else arrogant
is plain hypocracy you should look in a mirror before you say stuff like that about other people.
whilst it's true that me and daf don't always see eye to eye i have to admit he is in the right this time.
I hope your not going to turn into another alienjl lmao.

This post has been edited by lancelot2: Jul 8th 2008, 7:43 AM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jul 8th 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #20

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(atlantis expert/ know it all @ Jul 8th 2008, 2:37 AM) *

We did not need a rough starting point for debate, the discussion started long ago. Daf wasn't showing you any arrogance or sarcasm, he was being honest. Your comment about 300m was indeed laughable and sheer comedy. I suggest you check out an ep where a ship is docked and you can see just how big the piers actually are. I have another suggestion for you. Try not to be so defensive. No one understood what you were talking about. In your previous post, it sounded like you were describing the diameter of the city. In this post, you say that you are describing the circumference, but you called it the radius.

Your name is very presumptuous (as Daf said yesterday) and the more you post, the more inaccurate it seems.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Jul 8th 2008, 10:28 AM
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 8th 2008, 12:19 PM
Post #21

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(atlantis expert/ know it all @ Jul 8th 2008, 8:37 AM) *

If anything, you are showing arrogance by the choice of username, you may think you are an Atlantis expert and/or know-it-all but you aren't. A lot of the info you have posted has already been posted a long time ago. A little common sense would have said the city has a larger radius than 300m - hell, 300m is a medium sized building. Early in season 1, it was said that Atlantis is comparable in size to Manhattan.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Jul 9th 2008, 4:31 AM
Post #22

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jul 8th 2008, 6:19 PM) *

Early in season 1, it was said that Atlantis is comparable in size to Manhattan.

which has a rough land size of 22.96 square miles! so as you can see know it all (lmao) your estimate was not even close to being close!
+Quote Post
nayy z
post Aug 4th 2009, 2:24 AM
Post #23

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,524

well i think you should stop beating each other up before this thread gets closed, i also think that if we stoped defending our idea's and ripping apart other peoples ideas we could make alot more progress so with that in mind.

The travelers ship is pretty much the same size as a 304, as you can see in the season 5 episode 10 and 11 i think it was. And then in season 4 i think the traverlers ships were side by side a aroura class ship and they were only about (estimate here) 1/4-1/3 the size of the aroura. maybe that'll help with the sizes of wraith hive to aroura, because you can figure out how big the travelers ship is compaired to aroura, then figure out how big 304 is to the hive (witch in a season 2 episode they said it was somthing i dont remember exactly 15x the size of a hive) then hive to 304.

sorry i should have made myself clear when i said this "witch in a season 2 episode they said it was somthing i dont remember exactly 15x the size of a hive"

in the episode you can see how they have the picture of deadalus in the middle part of a hive, if you take the space the deadalus is taking up and cover it the rest of the way over the ship you'll see how big it is (i cant be bothered to do that but if 1 of you's care to do it your more than welcome)

and if this is any help it was mentioned in season 5 that rodney had to run down somthing like 60 levels of a tower, i dont know if it was operations tower or an different 1 but you can safely assume 60 floors is a minium hight of the controll tower.
+Quote Post
Baggers.
post Aug 4th 2009, 5:46 AM
Post #24

Baggers.
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,573

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 17th 2008, 10:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jul 8th 2008, 6:19 PM) *

Early in season 1, it was said that Atlantis is comparable in size to Manhattan.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't you just contradicted yourself a bit?? oops. whistling.gif

This post has been edited by Baggers.: Aug 4th 2009, 5:47 AM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 25th 2014 - 6:13 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.