Rating  3
lancelot2
post Jan 23rd 2008, 9:15 AM
Post #49

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,443

to be perfectly honest i didn't care for this episode as imo its be done so many times before infact it's been done once this season already
(tabula rasa) and it was done in hotzone and i've forgotten the name of the other episode that was similar. this sort of story does nothing for me
not that i'm critisising the show i mean this last story ark was brilliant!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 23rd 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #50

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Jan 23rd 2008, 4:15 PM) *

to be perfectly honest i didn't care for this episode as imo its be done so many times before infact it's been done once this season already
(tabula rasa) and it was done in hotzone and i've forgotten the name of the other episode that was similar. this sort of story does nothing for me
not that i'm critisising the show i mean this last story ark was brilliant!

Lol, this episode didn't focus on a story in case you haven't noticed. The story was only background for what really happened in this episode, and that is character development. And I might say, forced or not forced, this episode accomplished what it needed to accomplish. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 23rd 2008, 4:34 PM
Post #51

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

I can't say I tought much of this episode, it was just an excuse for some character development that seemed completely pointless.
McKay's development could have led to something important but TPTB screwed it up by focusing on his egotism.
Sam and Zelenka was a pointless addition. Zelenka should be dead after his fall from the vent.
TPTB could have made Sheppard and Teyla's scenes mean something but wasted a good opportunity.
Ronon and Keller??? While Keller needs developing, TPTB are going off in an odd direction with the attraction between her and Ronon. I know they are working from Ronon's wife from 'Sateda' but it doesn't seem a likely pairing.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 23rd 2008, 4:49 PM
Post #52

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 23rd 2008, 9:34 PM) *

I can't say I tought much of this episode, it was just an excuse for some character development that seemed completely pointless.
McKay's development could have led to something important but TPTB screwed it up by focusing on his egotism.
Sam and Zelenka was a pointless addition. Zelenka should be dead after his fall from the vent.

Yeah, the vent falling bugged me too smile.gif He didn't even break his glasses which fell off biggrin.gif

As for Rodney's development it was more focussed on his relationship with Katie that was developed rather then his own personal character development.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 23rd 2008, 5:58 PM
Post #53

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 23rd 2008, 4:34 PM) *

TPTB could have made Sheppard and Teyla's scenes mean something but wasted a good opportunity.
Ronon and Keller??? While Keller needs developing, TPTB are going off in an odd direction with the attraction between her and Ronon. I know they are working from Ronon's wife from 'Sateda' but it doesn't seem a likely pairing.

I think they wanted to show that Kellar was strong in her own way, and that's what Ronan liked about her. They even talked about it a little bit. But opposites do attract....
+Quote Post
seymour
post Jan 23rd 2008, 9:10 PM
Post #54

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,394

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 23rd 2008, 4:34 PM) *

"Ronon and Keller??? " A really forced direction IMO. I'm not adverse to "ship", but Ronon & Keller trying to kissy-face was painful to watch.

I'm sure Keller/Jewel Staite will feature in the opening credits next season. This whole season has been a promotional vid for her character.

IMO, this season has had far too much Keller-character development and too-little Carter development. Carter is a new character to this series (apart from the occassional visit), she is the new leader for cryin' out loud.

We've seen very little of Carter as commander of Atlantis. It's not quite O'Neill in Season 8, but getting there.

If poor old Ford had had as much focus as Keller, the rest of cast wouldn't have completely forgetten that he exists! Wasn't it supposed to be Sheppard's quest to save Ford?

You're right, that fall should have broken Zelanka's neck and his glasses!
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 23rd 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #55

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(seymour @ Jan 23rd 2008, 9:10 PM) *

"Ronon and Keller??? " A really forced direction IMO. I'm not adverse to "ship", but Ronon & Keller trying to kissy-face was painful to watch.

I'm sure Keller/Jewel Staite will feature in the opening credits next season. This whole season has been a promotional vid for her character.

IMO, this season has had far too much Keller-character development and too-little Carter development. Carter is a new character to this series (apart from the occassional visit), she is the new leader for cryin' out loud.

We've seen very little of Carter as commander of Atlantis. It's not quite O'Neill in Season 8, but getting there.

If poor old Ford had had as much focus as Keller, the rest of cast wouldn't have completely forgetten that he exists! Wasn't it supposed to be Sheppard's quest to save Ford?

Perhaps there was a lot of friction in the tunnel that slowed Zelenka down.

The reason that there hasn't been much Carter is that she simply wasn't available during the filming time. That's a fact of life that we all have to live with.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 23rd 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #56

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

I honestly don't see what's wrong with Ronon Dex and Keller (what is her first name?) having feelings and/or the hots for each other. I like that the character of Ronon is growing in this way. Before, he didn't even want to talk about himself and love, and now he opens up to Keller... that shows development, and I am very pleased with that.
+Quote Post
seymour
post Jan 24th 2008, 12:15 AM
Post #57

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 23rd 2008, 11:05 PM) *

I honestly don't see what's wrong with Ronon Dex and Keller (what is her first name?) having feelings and/or the hots for each other. I like that the character of Ronon is growing in this way. Before, he didn't even want to talk about himself and love, and now he opens up to Keller... that shows development, and I am very pleased with that.

I didn't say Ronon+Keller was wrong just completely mismatched and unconvincing IMO. There is no right or wrong with ship, just opinions.

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 23rd 2008, 10:16 PM) *

Perhaps there was a lot of friction in the tunnel that slowed Zelenka down.
The reason that there hasn't been much Carter is that she simply wasn't available during the filming time. That's a fact of life that we all have to live with.

A smart guy like him should have gone feet-first!

This post has been edited by seymour: Jan 24th 2008, 12:16 AM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 24th 2008, 12:48 AM
Post #58

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(seymour @ Jan 24th 2008, 12:15 AM) *

I didn't say Ronon+Keller was wrong just completely mismatched and unconvincing IMO. There is no right or wrong with ship, just opinions.
A smart guy like him should have gone feet-first!

What was mismatched about them specifically?

And how would he have swung his feet around?
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 24th 2008, 1:11 AM
Post #59

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(seymour @ Jan 24th 2008, 12:15 AM) *

What makes any couple good or bad or matched or mismatched? And really why should that determination be made by anybody other than the directly involved parties?
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Jan 24th 2008, 2:23 AM
Post #60

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 24th 2008, 5:11 PM) *

What makes any couple good or bad or matched or mismatched? And really why should that determination be made by anybody other than the directly involved parties?

Uhh...because said involved parties are fictional and HAVE no real self-determination to speak of? That's why fans always debate the merits of a couple. It's no different from the Sam/Jack issue.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 24th 2008, 3:05 AM
Post #61

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 24th 2008, 7:48 AM) *

And how would he have swung his feet around?

That's easy. Traverse the hole and place his hands on the edge of the opposite side, than holding onto that, place his feet through the hole and letting go. 1.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 24th 2008, 3:20 AM
Post #62

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Jan 24th 2008, 2:23 AM) *

Uhh...because said involved parties are fictional and HAVE no real self-determination to speak of? That's why fans always debate the merits of a couple. It's no different from the Sam/Jack issue.

I meant more that we, as viewers, cannot be inside the writer's heads, so we can't really know motivations unless we are told. Anything else is a guess.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Jan 24th 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #63

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

to be honest the attraction between ronan and keller was the only thing
that made this episode tolerable for me. i half expected ronan to start
making out with her on top of one of the medical beds(now that would have made it a lot more interesting).
+Quote Post
seymour
post Jan 24th 2008, 10:36 AM
Post #64

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Jan 24th 2008, 2:23 AM) *

My guess, the writers have been given a mandate to expand the role of Keller -give the character something (someone?) non-medical to do.
(Reminds me of the way the character of Ezri Dax was promoted in the last season of Star Trek DS9- the other characters suffered).
I never imagained I would miss Elizabeth Weir so much (non-replicator variety).

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Jan 24th 2008, 3:05 AM) *

That's easy. Traverse the hole and place his hands on the edge of the opposite side, than holding onto that, place his feet through the hole and letting go. 1.gif

Seems obvious doesn't it - but Zelanka is "comic relief" so he has to fall on his head.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 24th 2008, 10:52 AM
Post #65

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(seymour @ Jan 24th 2008, 3:36 PM) *

Seems obvious doesn't it - but Zelanka is "comic relief" so he has to fall on his head.

When he was thinking of climbing down the vent I expected him to go feet first (It's easier to slowly climb down then as you can push against the opposing wall easier) so when he went head first I did think waa?
Then his fall through the vent he should have controlled a bit more, that fall SHOULD have injured him, he may be a comic relief character IN PART (In this situation) but it seemed out of character to do something so stupid, which he did do.
+Quote Post
JC1
post Jan 24th 2008, 2:29 PM
Post #66

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 342

I didn't think this episode was all that great. Iím all for character development, but really; I didnít see much development here. McKayís not ready for marriage. Who would have guessed? Zelenka likes pigeons, Ronon likes Jaws, Sheppard can scale buildings....

Atlantis really doesnít seem to be able to do character development well. And the story (or lack of) seemed like it was just an attempt to force character development.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jan 24th 2008, 9:03 PM
Post #67

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(seymour @ Jan 23rd 2008, 9:10 PM) *

I agree with you about the episodes centering around Keller. I haven't liked it mainly because they killed Becket to bring her on. It was a wrong move to make. Yet they kept cramming her down our throats in episodes. Consequently, it was nice to finally learn something important about her in this episode.

As far as Carter, others have already said that she was not available to do more than she has.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 24th 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #68

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jan 24th 2008, 9:03 PM) *

I agree with you about the episodes centering around Keller. I haven't liked it mainly because they killed Becket to bring her on. It was a wrong move to make. Yet they kept cramming her down our throats in episodes. Consequently, it was nice to finally learn something important about her in this episode.

As far as Carter, others have already said that she was not available to do more than she has.

They killed Beckett, yes, but that does not mean it was because they wanted to bring Keller on. They had to replace the Chief Medical Officer, and they did: with (Jennifer?) Keller.
+Quote Post
seymour
post Jan 24th 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #69

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 24th 2008, 10:05 PM) *
They killed Beckett, yes, but that does not mean it was because they wanted to bring Keller on. They had to replace the Chief Medical Officer, and they did: with (Jennifer?) Keller.

Don't forget TPTB created the need to replace the CMO because Paul McGillion did not want to leave Atlantis.

The Carson Beckett character was killed off and in the very next episode we are introduced to a never-seen-before "teenager" who apparently is taking over as CMO.
Convincing and authentic (albeit slightly chubby)character actor replaced by young, attractive (albeit very unconvincing) female genius who is more appealing to young male demographic.......

Cause and effect methinks.
1+1 = 2 (in my universe)

This post has been edited by seymour: Jan 24th 2008, 11:06 PM
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jan 24th 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #70

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 24th 2008, 10:05 PM) *

Yes it does because Keller appeared almost immediately in the next episode, I believe. As someone said, they wanted a cute chick to hopefully pump up the viewers. I believe it has backfired because too many people loved the character of Beckett.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 25th 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #71

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(seymour @ Jan 24th 2008, 11:05 PM) *

Don't forget TPTB created the need to replace the CMO because Paul McGillion did not want to leave Atlantis.

The Carson Beckett character was killed off and in the very next episode we are introduced to a never-seen-before "teenager" who apparently is taking over as CMO.
Convincing and authentic (albeit slightly chubby)character actor replaced by young, attractive (albeit very unconvincing) female genius who is more appealing to young male demographic.......

Cause and effect methinks.
1+1 = 2 (in my universe)

Keller is not a teenager. SHe said that she got her BS before she could vote (Age 18 in the US). That doesn't mean that she jumped from BS Cheif medical Officer of a top secret facility before age 20.

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jan 24th 2008, 11:46 PM) *

Yes it does because Keller appeared almost immediately in the next episode, I believe. As someone said, they wanted a cute chick to hopefully pump up the viewers. I believe it has backfired because too many people loved the character of Beckett.

Keller appeared 320 I believe, and I'm sure the writers new before the eps were filmed that they were going to have to cast her roll because Beckett was going to be killed in the episode 317.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 25th 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #72

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jan 25th 2008, 4:46 AM) *

The writers did say the decision to bring Keller on was made after the decision to write out Beckett, she wasn't just a replacement. But they felt it was important to introduce the new character a little before the new series started to fans could get to know them a bit and so wrote her in a couple of scenes in First Strike. Similar with Carter though the decision to write out Weir was apparently before the decision to bring in Carter.
They just had a slot free and so decided Keller was the right person, and they liked Jewel Staite.
While I don't agree with the decision to out Beckett, Keller is her seperate character, I'm not going to judge her just because she's playing a role that another character was before. They have nothing to do with each other, she's her own character.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Jan 25th 2008, 12:38 AM
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 2nd 2014 - 11:41 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.