IndyJan
post Feb 22nd 2008, 4:09 PM
Post #169

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(Revan @ Feb 22nd 2008, 6:58 AM) *

TPTB are really good at coming up with big storylines that are interesting, but when it comes down to writing each and every little thing, the guys on SGA seem to fail miserably. As someone interested in perforance, I couldn't see myself seriously wanting to do Atlantis (regardless of how fun it may or may not be), purely because I doubt TPTB's ability to create and maintain an interesting role.

Sheppard, Weir, Teyla, Ronon, Beckett, Keller, McKay and even Ford (who could have matured at some point) all had the potential to be really interesting characters. They all had an infinitum of room to grow and become complex and interesting. They could all have become different over time, changed to adapt to their new surroundings and in response to the types of situations they are placed in every day. I don't care how many times a person goes through that insanity, I personally believe it would have some effect on them each and every time.

I will agree with you about how they have not written for the characters, allowing them to progress, grow and develop. Yes, they have said it's a separate show from SG1, but they have not truly shown that.

I remember from the first season, Weir, Ford and Teyla were the very worst characters. Ford, especially, and I wanted him gone. Sadly, once he became Wraith-like and was recurring, he was an extremely interesting character for me. I cared about him. I wondered where he went. I wondered what happened to him. For me, those are the signs that a character has deveoped, they make you care.

With Weir that didn't happen until the second season. That is when she became interesting. She made the tough decisions that a leader needs to make.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen with Teyla until this season. Don't get me wrong, I still don't care for the character, but at least they are finally making an attempt to do something with her. Sadly, that's because the actress was pregnant, not because the writers had an epiphany.

As far as Beckett, for me he was already a fully develped, interesting character. You know he had to be to go from recurring and then sequed into the opening credits. That meant the fans liked his character.

As far as Rodney, as I have said, it's two steps forward and one step backward. I jus hope after time that changes. There have been episodes where we see a change in him, but then, like I said it's one step backward.

Ronon has not been truly developed. We have seen glimpses, and I'm hoping for more. The jury is still out for me in regards to Keller. They have at least answered one question for me about her.

Shep I believe is fully developed. Shep is Shep. What we haven't seen until recently is what made him who he is.

As far as the experiences they have had changing them, you are correct for most it should have, for some not so much and for some it has.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Feb 23rd 2008, 1:41 AM
Post #170

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 21st 2008, 10:33 AM) *

What I didn't like was the Rodney story. They have tried to show, and some people here have tried to show that Rodney has grown. He has changed. Yet, one little slip and he's back to being a hypocondriac.

He's grown in other stuff. I don't think he ever grew out of being a hypochondriac. So I don't think you can really call that a slip.
Okay, it's probably because he can't figure out what is wrong, but so what. If he has grown, then he would be there for Katie and try to help her deal with things. Instead Katie had to be there for Rodney.

I'm sorry, Rodney should have done what? Why? He's not allowed to panic at all? He has to be the big strong male and comfort the poor helpless female? That's a medieval rather attitude to have donít you think? And again, as you said, he had a perfectly valid reason to panic. He not supposed to be some robot -hearted superman, thatís not character growth. He is normal flawed human being and I donít think that the character would work as well any other way.

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 23rd 2008, 8:09 AM) *
As far as Rodney, as I have said, it's two steps forward and one step backward. I jus hope after time that changes. There have been episodes where we see a change in him, but then, like I said it's one step backward.

Thatís still one step forward overall every time. That pretty much indicates a positive change. Again, you cannot, (no matter how much you might want it to happen), expect a character to change completely. The writers will always hint back at the original aspects of their personalities somehow. Those tendencies, habits, whatever, are part of that character, and whilst some aspects may be diminished over time, they will always be there.

+Quote Post
JC1
post Feb 25th 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #171

Captain
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 342

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Feb 22nd 2008, 9:09 PM) *

Shep I believe is fully developed. Shep is Shep. What we haven't seen until recently is what made him who he is.

For me, Sheppard isn't really developed at all. Back in season 1, Sheppard was a far more interesting character. He was an intelligent soldier, with a colder side behind the smart comments. He also had conflicts with those around him. Sumner, Everett, Bates and even Weir and Teyla had problems with Sheppardís decisions at some point. But from season 2 onwards, for the most part, Sheppard became the typical heroic leader. The guy who jumps out windows and scales buildings. But I find thereís not much more too him these days. We rarely see any sort of emotion from Sheppard. He seems to be always in smart ass action hero mode. If anything the writers have made him shallower and dumber. Even Mitchell had more development in just 2 seasons of SG1.

The rest of the Atlantis characters are no better off, McKay seems to be have been given the most development, but as you say its 2 step forwards, 1 steps backwards. Character development is not something Atlantis does well. When they try, it does seem forced like this episode in my opinion. They needed to create a situation where the characters are forced to interact as they were trapped together. They can't seem get the characters to interact in a normal story setting.

+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 25th 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #172

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(JC1 @ Feb 25th 2008, 10:08 PM) *

For me, Sheppard isn't really developed at all. Back in season 1, Sheppard was a far more interesting character. He was an intelligent soldier, with a colder side behind the smart comments. He also had conflicts with those around him. Sumner, Everett, Bates and even Weir and Teyla had problems with Sheppardís decisions at some point. But from season 2 onwards, for the most part, Sheppard became the typical heroic leader. The guy who jumps out windows and scales buildings. But I find thereís not much more too him these days. We rarely see any sort of emotion from Sheppard. He seems to be always in smart ass action hero mode. If anything the writers have made him shallower and dumber. Even Mitchell had more development in just 2 seasons of SG1.

The rest of the Atlantis characters are no better off, McKay seems to be have been given the most development, but as you say its 2 step forwards, 1 steps backwards. Character development is not something Atlantis does well. When they try, it does seem forced like this episode in my opinion. They needed to create a situation where the characters are forced to interact as they were trapped together. They can't seem get the characters to interact in a normal story setting.

Now that we have seen the relationship, or non-relationship that Shep had with his father, I think we can understand his problems with Sumner and Everett. They were authority figures, and Shep has issues with that. As far as Bates, he was lower in military rank then Shep, but he still followed the military protocol by the book. Shep is the military leader of Atlantis, but he still goes outside the box in regards to military protocol. He does not go by the book. It's one of the issues that Caldwell has with him. Sam's statement in Midway,
» Click to Show Spoiler «
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 1st 2014 - 2:35 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.