post Jan 13th 2008, 3:45 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 4, Episode 13 - Quarantine
Air date: January 18, 2008

Members of the Atlantis team are trapped in various sections of the city after an alarm initiates a quarantine lockdown.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Jan 18th 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #2

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,304

So of course the episode had no story arc relevance, but thats okay with me.

Overall I found this to be an excellent episode for being a non relevant one. It had excellent humor and a number of fantastic moments. John climbing the tower was great. The problem itself was interesting and well-solved I suppose.

Here is my issue: I realized immediately upon the lockdown starting that the main characters were all spilt into boy/girl couples. This didn't really help the episode at all except for the botany lab couple. I mean seriously, Carter and Zelinka, Sheppard and a pregnant Teyla? The couples were just oddly made, which I guess may have been the idea of the episode, that they're all screwed over, but whatever. The biggest problem for me in this particular issue was the Ronin and Keller pairing. That was a disturbing scene at the end there. I really didn't want that to happen and I was happy when it didn't.

Other than the issue of the odd couples, I liked this episode a lot.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jan 19th 2008, 2:37 AM
Post #3

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

The episode was okay, not great, but okay. I did enjoy it for the most part. I'm okay with stories that have nothing to do with the main storyarc. That doesn't bother me.

I loved Ronon and Keller, surprisingly. Ronon once again mentioned his mate who was also a medical person. They almost kissed, LOL! Now they will be all awkward. Shep and Teyla picked up on that, Ronon, "What?" We did hear about Keller's past and why she is so far advanced and not old.

Of course I immediately thought that Teyla would ask Shep to be the godfather to her child. Okay we know that they were using any and all means to hide Rachel's/Teyla's pregnancy, but now, in two episodes she's out to there. blink.gif Teyla said that she was 3 months. So she may have passed the 4 month time period. At 4 months the mother should feel the kicking/movement of the child, but there is no way someone would feel the child move from the outside unless she was 4 1/2 to 5 months pregnant. It just isn't strong enough.

I was so glad when Carter took Zelenka's lap top and proceeded to find an answer/solution. Another way of showing that Carter is a genius and as smart, if not smarter than McKay. They they go and blew it.

I cracked up when Katie was showing Rodney his plant, can we say phallic symbol? As far as McKay and Katie, I think that couple has bit the dust. At the end Katie said, "Bye Rodney." McKay said, "yeah bye." Then he had this weird look, and I think he knew she was saying an official goodbye.

Edit: I forgot, I loved that Zelenka got to stop the self-distruct. Rodney did not save the day again. In his arrognace though, he just could not give Zelenka the credit. Rodney and his arrogance needs to take a hike.

Edit: I laughed so hard when John asked Teyla are you going into labor? She said no, I'm not far enough along. Shep then saying, "well in all the movies when a pregnant lady is in this type of situation, she always goes into labor!" Shep was correct. They do that all the time.

This post has been edited by IndyJan: Jan 20th 2008, 2:33 AM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 19th 2008, 3:27 AM
Post #4

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

Its really too late for me to be posting, and I haven't finished watching the ep yet. I just had to point out that I was right about Keller getting her BS before she was 18, and that's the reason for her being such a young doctor.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 19th 2008, 4:54 AM
Post #5

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

YAYNESS!! biggrin.gif This is my type of episode. Tomb Raider Atlantis lol. But yeah no I thought it was a great episode, a real shame about McKay and Katie though I think they did break up yeah. I really wanted them to work too and was glad when he was going to propose as I thought she'd say yes, but the direction through the episode I knew it wasn't going to happen. But I think you're right Indy they were kinda breaking up there, handled very well imo. I just hope we get a touch up on that in a future episode to see what did happen.

Ronan finally moving on as well, he said in Sunday he wasn't ready to be with someone yet, even though it was seven years later, I think Keller for part reminding him of his girlfriend got him to the stage where he was willing to let that something happen and to maybe go with someone else, even if he isn't going to now. I did want them to kiss, I know it's a bit of an odd coupling but still I thought it would be nice, and the direction it was taken in was nice. Ronans 'What.' at the end of the episode was very good to, funny on his part. And yes finding out more about Kellers past was good as well, although she did come off to me as someone who wasn't 'socially secluded' given she seems to be able to have a good relationship with everyone on Atlantis fairly early.

I found the humour quite good as well, some really nice touches in there. Carl Binder gave a good script here, I've never been too sure of him (He seems to be an inconsistent writer some of his are really good some aren't as much) but this was a good script. But yeah quite a lot of praise for the episode, 9/10 probably.

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jan 19th 2008, 7:37 AM) *

Of course I immediately thought that Teyla would ask Shep to be the godfather to her child. Okay we know that they were using any and all means to hide Rachel's/Teyla's pregnancy, but now, in two episodes she's out to there. blink.gif Teyla said that she was 3 months. So she may have passed the 4 month time period. At 4 months the mother should feel the kicking/movement of the child, but there is no way someone would feel the child move from the outside unless she was 4 1/2 to 5 months pregnant. It just isn't strong enough.

I'm guessing there was a time jump yes, there is no way that that is about a week after SoW, I'm guessing one or two months later. I know in filming they do take a break at around this time for a monthish, I'm guessing this is after that. but plotwise I'm guessing it was later yes.

And I have no problem with episodes that don't develop the arc of the show as long as they're in some way relevant still, episodes which don't do anything for plot or characters there isn't always a lot of point in. But this was relevant for characters and tested their relationships. I like individual episodes, it's the style of the show but they've still got to add something to the show as a show. This one did.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Jan 19th 2008, 4:59 AM
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 19th 2008, 5:36 AM
Post #6

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

Well, this only became interesting to me once the self-destruct started. That is when some great character development begun, like for instance between Ronon and Keller, which does not surprise me, since I noticed that she reminded him of his former wife. When he talked about what happened to her during the siege, I began suspecting that the scenes will lead to that. Nice lesson learned by Rodney as well, I think he is starting to "grow up" a little... His relationship with Katie is doing nothing but good to his character.

And way to go Zelenka... laugh.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 19th 2008, 9:52 AM
Post #7

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

I feel bad for the Rodney situation. I think he was embarrassed by his cowardace, and probably rightfully so. I think it was way over the top in this situation. He's been in tough situations before, and he whines and complains, but he doesn't give up. He's usually involved in saving the day despite the odds.

I enjoyed the episode. I thought there was going to be something between Keller and Ronon since one of her first eps when he smiled at her looking at Shep and said, "I think he's single". I don't know why, but it made me think that someone more would develope between them.

I guess Teyla was trying to tell John that she didn't want to be on the team. I don't know what was going on with Teyla after the baby kicked. I thought that maybe she was connected telepathically to the baby. THis was go back to the previous episode and make for an interesting future.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 19th 2008, 1:35 PM
Post #8

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

I watched this with my Uncle who hates scifi, and we both thought it was excellent. laugh.gif

I seriously thought this was a superb episode, even with the unusual pairings that generally yielded interpersonal truths. The overall storyline wasn't half bad, even for something that was made up for the sake of putting the characters in the situation they were in.

Carter and Zelenka were interesting. I'm not quite sure what they were trying to show in that instance, but I liked the end result with Zelenka getting zapped. I liked how they tried and failed to get the door open with brute strength, but when Sheppard and Lorne helped, it opened nicely.

The McKay and Brown scenario made me very sad. I honestly thought Rodney had overcome some of his defence mechanisms, but I guess I was wrong. I liked that they acknowledged the fact that Rodney had been off his game... at least now we know why he was so distracted. I am pleased that the arcs are getting more complex and extended, and that occurences are actually affecting future events... very nice! The cactus was hilarious, even better was McKay's reaction to the obviously phallic object and unintentional sexual innuendo. I thought Katie's reaction to the engagement ring was very real and visceral, and I was pleased with how truly saddened she looked at Rodney's extremely negative reaction. I seriously was yelling "you idiot!" at the television with some of his idiocy. At the end when Rodney came into the botany lab, and Katie was carting the cactus away with some other flowers, I had a feeling it was all going to go to crap. My Uncle and I both agreed that when they said goodbye, and Rodney looked back the way he did, it wasn't a "see you later" that they were saying. As I said, I hope, at least, that this has some impact on who Rodney becomes in the future.

I liked the Keller/Ronon pairing. I could see the foreshadowing of them getting together in even her earliest episodes, and was eagerly waiting for Ronon to break out of his shell. I am pleased that TPTB decided to give a reason for Keller's rather young age, and I liked that Ronon finally opened up to somebody about his now dead girlfriend. Ronon's inability to sit still and their unsuccessful attempts to escape the room were amusing to say the least. I really liked everybody's glances at the end of the episode in the mess hall... Ronon and Keller smiling at each other shyly. I saw previews, so I knew they wouldn't kiss, but that didn't detract from the scene. As before, I hope something comes of this.

Sheppard and Teyla seem to have trouble communicating. Now that Teyla is herself again, we see her fear about losing her life after she has the baby, which is something we have all been thinking about. I also was expecting her to name John Godfather to the baby. I liked the point when the baby kicked and Sheppard was horrified at the possiblity of having to deliver a baby. Maybe he will get the chance later in the season... I wasn't quite sure what Teyla was doing when she climbed out on that ledge, and am pleased she didn't attempt anything foolish, even though Sheppard did.

I liked Zelenka saving the day, especially when he came toppling out of that vent. As we saw later, Rodney still hasn't gotten over his jealousy problem.

All in all, I thought this was great episode. The character moments were excellent, the viusuals were excellent, and the storyline, though convenient, was enough to suspend my disbelief. I hope to see more!
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Jan 20th 2008, 6:38 AM
Post #9

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jan 19th 2008, 6:37 PM) *

Edit: I forgot, I loved that Zelenka got to stop the self-distruct. Rodney did not save the day again. In his arrognace though, he just could not give Zelenka the credit. Rodney and his arrogance needs to take a hike.
That's not arrogance, that's called jealousy. And Rodney took great steps in this episode to recognizing his arrogant tendencies and is at least attempting to curb them (succeding may be another issue, but at least he's trying).
Indy, I'm sorry, but I gotta say, I think you're being more than a tad unfair here. I've noticed you have a tendency to dislike characters (and not just Rodney), then absolutely focus on their flaws to the exclusion of all else. And even when they arent activley portraying those flaws at a paticular time (such as this ep), you still claim that they are...seems a bit over-zealous and harsh IMO.
I just think you should give charcters a chance instead of immediately pidgeonholing them and refusing to see anything but their bad qualities no matter what. smile.gif [/My $0.02]

As for the ep itself...good character ep I guess even if nothing particularly exciting happened. I have to say I did find the Ronon/Keller thing a bit random, it's as if TPTB threw all the Atlantis personell's name into a hat. "And the new relationship will be....Ronon and Keller!!!!". (imagine the disaster if they'd drawn the names Todd and Lt. Cadman!)

I also found it odd that after all the straining Sam and Radek put into trying to open those doors...Shep and his crew come along and achieve the feat in seconds.

Was fun to see Radek squirm his way through the vents...the fall and the thump were paticularly hillarious for some reason laugh.gif . Shep cracking Rodney's password was equally brilliant.

Too bad about Rodney and Katie though, I hope they get it together, I think she's good for him.

All in all, decent ep but not great, no real major plot developments (apart from the few shippy ones)...6/10.
+Quote Post
Joda
post Jan 20th 2008, 6:59 AM
Post #10

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,542

"42? It's the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything." Had me in stitches... I kept looking for Vorgons, and worrying about poetry.

"Sure... Batman did it all the time." I noticed a lot of TV and movie refrences, thought those were cool. Ronan's even seen Jaws now, just gotta get him into Star Wars (though maybe they'll do the Star Trek route to avoid the Teal'c thing... ["He's seen it, what? Nine times."])

Good episode, lots of character stuff... Zelenka's pigdeons for one... I thought that was cool... totally random, and mattered not, but still.

One thing though that I gotta nitpick... why did Ronan look like he was gonna crap himself laughing when he was talking to Keller? He had that grin on, I felt it was a little... off... I woulda thought that when talking about his dead-ex, and homeworld, he'd be a little more somber, and maybe angry...ish... maybe Staite and Momoa were just having giggle issues when trying to film that scene... or they were both thinking of that kiss... other than that though, I liked the Keller/Ronan scenes. And the "What?!" at the end, was pure Ronan.

The Shep/Teyla thing was good. I was wondering how Teyla would handle having a kid stay at home when she was out saving the day. I thought Shep handled it well also. He definatly seems the overprotectice type... which is cool, I know the feeling... almost seems like he's got a thing for Teyla now (which I gotta say, I've never seen before... they've always been close... but as friends... now it looks like Shep realised he missed his window, and is trying to make up for it... I know that feeling too, which could be why I like that arc...)

Ah, but I think Zelenka falling out of the air duct is my favorite scene in this one... "aaaAAAAHHHH-"THUMP!
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 20th 2008, 7:21 AM
Post #11

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Jan 20th 2008, 1:38 PM) *

As for the ep itself...good character ep I guess even if nothing particularly exciting happened. I have to say I did find the Ronon/Keller thing a bit random, it's as if TPTB threw all the Atlantis personell's name into a hat. "And the new relationship will be....Ronon and Keller!!!!". (imagine the disaster if they'd drawn the names Todd and Lt. Cadman!)

I didn't find the fact that Ronon and Keller started a relationship a random situation. Like I said before, she and his wife from Sateda had many things in common. She reminded him of her.

The situation in which they started their relationship in this episode was totally different though, and a bit rushed. The writers should have carefully made progress along episodes with them, small steps at a time. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Jan 20th 2008, 7:22 AM
+Quote Post
Janos
post Jan 20th 2008, 9:42 AM
Post #12

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,403

I liked what Zelenka said in the elevator at the beginning. Something like, "Assuming it's not Rodney's fault..."

And while this ep didn't have much to do with anything, I liked it. It seemed like a little bit of a rehash... "Oh no! The base has locked down and we're all stuck here until we figure out how to unstick ourselves! On no! We're also going to blow up even though we're all trapped unless we figure that out too!" But then again, the Stargate writers haven't really been too original. This episode had the right combination of excitement and... interestingness... huh.gif
It always kept the tension up and kept you watching. So, good episode overall!

And I'm tired of hearing Teyla bitch about being pregnant. I know, I know... the writer's don't know how to write for women.. blah blah... My wife is pregnant right now, she doesn't even eat cheese if it's been sitting out all night because there's a slight possibility that she may eat something that grew on it and harm the baby. Every waking minute she's worried about the baby. "Is it moving too much, is it not moving enough, am I eating enough, I have a pain here - is that bad? She's completely neurotic. Once her body started getting flooded with hormones, she literally turned crazy. That is SO why she shouldn't be on the team. I've been dealing with a pregnant woman for several months. That kind of instability just wouldn't mesh with the team dynamics.

And Ronan, getting it on with the Doc... good job buddy! I'd totally hit that too! I think she needs a good roll in the hay to calm her nerves down a little.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 20th 2008, 1:15 PM
Post #13

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Janos @ Jan 20th 2008, 9:42 AM) *

And Ronan, getting it on with the Doc... good job buddy! I'd totally hit that too! I think she needs a good roll in the hay to calm her nerves down a little.

Lol, I was was thinking the same thing. Good for Ronon. He needs an interest, the doctor needs an interest... it all works out.
+Quote Post
Parmenides
post Jan 20th 2008, 3:32 PM
Post #14

Birds ate his face.
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,770

Meh. I didn't enjoy this one so much, I found myself continually looking at the clock, and being disappointed it wasn't closer to finishing.

Each of the situations were just so ludicrous, and grew even more so as time went on. You had Katy and McKay, with Katie (predictably) finding things out about Rodney that she didn't like, and Rodney's weird and exaggerated behaviour was just...so three seasons ago. Carter and Zelenka in the transporter was some weird mix between sexual embarrassment, and "oh dear, I hope I haven't offended him" - both characters seemed off. As for Ronon and Keller, well...I was praying all along that they wouldn't get together, and cringing when they did - I'm not against them being together, it was just so incredibly cliché, how the writers went about it...not to mention that weird, MacGyver-esque attempt at escaping.

Sheppard and Teyla were the most "normal"...until Sheppard climbed out the freaking window! Alright, so you're in a desperate situation, but climbing out a window is putting yourself in even more danger - and you'll more than likely fall. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief when it comes to intergalactic travel, and life-sucking pale-faced aliens...but I'm sorry, I draw the line at Sheppard being able to climb up that near foothold-less wall. laugh.gif He should've fallen or, better yet, she should've just decided "Hmm, I'm not Batman."

I'm not against character development...but a lot of the stuff in this episode seemed forced, as if the writers had put "insert character development" into the script, and gone back later to wham in whatever they liked - like Keller talking about never really belonging. Yeah, it was nice to hear an explanation about her age, but it just seemed so forced. That being said, I did like Zelenka's pigeons - that was inserted effortlessly. biggrin.gif

As for the quarantine plot device itself - wasn't it a bit harsh of the Ancients (or Rodney, if it was his addition) to simply block off all the rooms, leaving the infected to die? Keller was useless stuck in the infirmary like that. I got the impression that everywhere was locked off because it was a "level 5" contagion - or was that just down to that pesky, stormy ionosphere? rolleyes.gif

Also, why the hell would the self-destruct go off if containment was breached? Containment wasn't really "breached" anyway, it was just Sheppard leaving his room, and entering another...so the worst thing you have is two infected rooms. It just seemed to be wedged in to add some drama - in the worst case scenario, the entire city is going to be infected, and they all die...so what difference is blowing up the city going to make? They've already got the distress beacon warning ships away, so why is there a need to have the self-destruct go off? Just to annihilate all traces of the contagion, which is presumably planet-bound anyway?
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 20th 2008, 4:04 PM
Post #15

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Joda @ Jan 20th 2008, 11:59 AM) *

One thing though that I gotta nitpick... why did Ronan look like he was gonna crap himself laughing when he was talking to Keller? He had that grin on, I felt it was a little... off... I woulda thought that when talking about his dead-ex, and homeworld, he'd be a little more somber, and maybe angry...ish... maybe Staite and Momoa were just having giggle issues when trying to film that scene... or they were both thinking of that kiss... other than that though, I liked the Keller/Ronan scenes. And the "What?!" at the end, was pure Ronan.

He was thinking back to the good things about his girlfriend, what he liked about her. Remembering her in fondness, that's why he was smiling. He wasn't thinking about how the Wraith got her, but how she was when she was alive. That's why he was smiling.

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Jan 20th 2008, 12:21 PM) *

The situation in which they started their relationship in this episode was totally different though, and a bit rushed. The writers should have carefully made progress along episodes with them, small steps at a time. biggrin.gif

I liked it this way, they were put into a situation where this stuff can happen (although suprisingly hasn't happened to me yet....need to get locked in more places with hot girls biggrin.gif) but it was the difference of the situation which just got them to move to this step. They were thrown into a situation they didn't expect, and this resulted from it.

QUOTE(Parmenides @ Jan 20th 2008, 8:32 PM) *
As for the quarantine plot device itself - wasn't it a bit harsh of the Ancients (or Rodney, if it was his addition) to simply block off all the rooms, leaving the infected to die? Keller was useless stuck in the infirmary like that. I got the impression that everywhere was locked off because it was a "level 5" contagion - or was that just down to that pesky, stormy ionosphere? rolleyes.gif

Also, why the hell would the self-destruct go off if containment was breached? Containment wasn't really "breached" anyway, it was just Sheppard leaving his room, and entering another...so the worst thing you have is two infected rooms. It just seemed to be wedged in to add some drama - in the worst case scenario, the entire city is going to be infected, and they all die...so what difference is blowing up the city going to make? They've already got the distress beacon warning ships away, so why is there a need to have the self-destruct go off? Just to annihilate all traces of the contagion, which is presumably planet-bound anyway?

Well I'm guessing the city thought it was the worst of the worst kind of infection, we don't know what 'level' the one from Hot Zone was, maybe a 3 or a 4. It may have thought it was equivalent to the Ori plague, and once containment was breached thought that any ships that could have come to rescue them would also be infected. It did seem a bit odd to me as well but if it thought it was the worst kind of infection possible I guess it thought to take appropriate action.

As for people being able to help others, Hot Zone showed if they were in protective suits they could have done something. But again the confusion of the lockdown by the city could have prevented that from being affected either since it thought every room was infected simultaneously (As in so even if someone does put on a suit they're still infected). A couple of odd bits of exposition I guess but it didn't detract too much from what they were trying to do, which I liked.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 20th 2008, 4:19 PM
Post #16

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Parmenides @ Jan 20th 2008, 10:32 PM) *

as if the writers had put "insert character development" into the script,

Yes, and here is the code for this episode: biggrin.gif

#include <Quarantine.h>

int Sheppard, Teyla, Ronon, McKay, Katie, Carter, Zelenka, Lorne, Keller;
int v[10], task[10];

void pairing()
{
int i;
Sheppard=1; Teyla=2; Ronon=3; McKay=4; Katie=5; Zelenka=6; Lorne=7; Carter=8; Keller=9;
for (i=1;i<=9;i++)
{
v[i]=rand()%9;
}
task[v[1]]=1; task[v[2]]=1; // Pairing 1 - random generator chose 4 and 5
task[v[3]]=2; task[v[4]]=2; // Pairing 2 - random generator chose 1 and 2
task[v[5]]=3; task[v[6]]=3; // Pairing 3 - random generator chose 8 and 6
task[v[7]]=4; task[v[8]]=4; // Pairing 4 - random generator chose 3 and 9
task[v[9]]=5; // Left out - random generator chose 7
}

void pairing2()
{
task[v[1]]=task[v[5]]=task[v[6]]=task[v[9]]=6; //team up
}

void character_development()
{
int Weakness=0, Batman_climbing=0, Self_destruct=0, Shocking=0, Vent_climbing=0, Kissing=0;
for (i=1;i<=9; i++)
if (task[i]==1) Weakness=1; //McKay and Katie
if (task[i]==2) Batman_climbing=1; //Sheppard and Teyla
if (task[i]==3) Shocking=1; //Zelenka and Carter
if (task[i]==4) Kissing=1; //Ronon and Keller
if (task[i]==5) Self_destruct=1; //Lorne
if (task[i]==6) Vent_climbing=1; //Zelenka, Lorne, Carter, Sheppard
}

void main()
{
int quarantine, i;

quarantine=0;

for (i=1;i<=42;i++)
{
if (i==6) quarantine=1;
if (quarantine==1 && i==6) {pairing(); character_development();}
if (quarantine==1 && i==32) {pairing2(); character_development();}
if (i==40) quarantine=0;
}
getch();
}

whistling.gif

I know, I'm a geek. biggrin.gif

I would say that the episode achieved the required character development for it not to be in vain, but you are indeed right. It did seem forced to put the characters in the situations they were in. Although I think, that if it weren't for those situations, the episode would have been pretty boring. 1.gif

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Jan 20th 2008, 4:31 PM
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 20th 2008, 4:25 PM
Post #17

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Jan 20th 2008, 9:19 PM) *

Although I think, that if it weren't for those situations, the episode would have been pretty boring. 1.gif

The thing to remember (Nice code btw biggrin.gif) that's what this episode was about. So that is equivalent to saying 'if it weren't for the plot, the episode would have been pretty boring'. The plot wasn't what the episode was about, it was the characters. The decision to put those characters together was made probably before they worked out how they were putting them together. But I liked it. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Jan 20th 2008, 4:25 PM
+Quote Post
Parmenides
post Jan 20th 2008, 4:30 PM
Post #18

Birds ate his face.
Group Icon

I put it a bit more succinctly, don't you think Marv? 1.gif

Another thing I was thinking was...wasn't the entire episode a bit of a massive onslaught of character development? We had more of Teyla's baby concerns, Ronon reminiscing about the girl on Sateda, Keller being sad alone, Rodney and his attempts at self-growth, to the denigration of his relationship with Katie, and Zelenka's pigeons. laugh.gif It was just Sheppard, Carter (and Lorne, I suppose) who got off.

That's why it felt forced. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 20th 2008, 4:48 PM
Post #19

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Parmenides @ Jan 20th 2008, 9:30 PM) *

I put it a bit more succinctly, don't you think Marv? 1.gif

Another thing I was thinking was...wasn't the entire episode a bit of a massive onslaught of character development? We had more of Teyla's baby concerns, Ronon reminiscing about the girl on Sateda, Keller being sad alone, Rodney and his attempts at self-growth, to the denigration of his relationship with Katie, and Zelenka's pigeons. laugh.gif It was just Sheppard, Carter (and Lorne, I suppose) who got off.

That's why it felt forced. biggrin.gif

I'm sorry I disagree, you can't say that because there's a lot of character development that it felt forced. I'd rather see episodes like this then ones like The Tower where nothing changes for anyone ever, episodes should be about putting characters in situations they've never been in before to see how they react to it, how it changes them as people and ultimately what they come away with it with. I felt this episode did that very well and it was it's central focus. Episodes SHOULD do that more often. It's why shows like Firefly are really good because that's EXACTLY the approach they take to episodes, and it's better to see them do it here then not do it.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Jan 20th 2008, 4:49 PM
+Quote Post
Parmenides
post Jan 20th 2008, 4:57 PM
Post #20

Birds ate his face.
Group Icon

I think I just prefer it when the character development happens along with the show's usual pace, rather than having to have everyone trapped with nothing else to do at all but develop their character. biggrin.gif

It was because there was so much of the forced monologues that it felt even more forced, like it was compounding the problem - you'd just heard Ronon fire off this monologue about the girl on Sateda, then five minutes later, you've got Keller giving her speech, in exactly the same way. It should be more dynamic than that like, as you said, in Firefly.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 20th 2008, 5:04 PM
Post #21

Major General
Group Icon

I feel that Atlantis shouldn't try to develop characters as in Firefly or any other show for that matter. The dynamics are totally different. An episode like this one should come two to three times a season at most. The rest should be left upon the normal story line and the changes that could make.
+Quote Post
seymour
post Jan 20th 2008, 7:05 PM
Post #22

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,394

And I'm tired of hearing Teyla bitch about being pregnant. I know, I know... the writer's don't know how to write for women.. blah blah... My wife is pregnant right now, she doesn't even eat cheese if it's been sitting out all night because there's a slight possibility that she may eat something that grew on it and harm the baby. Every waking minute she's worried about the baby. "Is it moving too much, is it not moving enough, am I eating enough, I have a pain here - is that bad? She's completely neurotic. Once her body started getting flooded with hormones, she literally turned crazy. That is SO why she shouldn't be on the team. I've been dealing with a pregnant woman for several months. That kind of instability just wouldn't mesh with the team dynamics.

I agree, let's keep the vessel of YOUR sperm donation out of the team - it's been a long time since I've read such a sexist post.

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jan 19th 2008, 2:37 AM) *
....Of course I immediately thought that Teyla would ask Shep to be the godfather to her child.

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 19th 2008, 1:35 PM) *
..... I also was expecting her to name John Godfather to the baby.....

Are Teyla's People Christians?

Ronan and Keller - BORING!

SG-1-Carter would have got out of that elevator before the 2nd commerical break - why have the writer/TPTB made Atlantis-Carter (on those few occasions that she makes appearance) so bland and so passive? Bring back fiesty "Save The Universe" Carter.

This post has been edited by seymour: Jan 20th 2008, 7:12 PM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 20th 2008, 7:10 PM
Post #23

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(seymour @ Jan 20th 2008, 7:05 PM) *

I agree, let's keep the vessel of your sperm donation out of the team - it's been a long time since I've read such a sexist post.

What part of his post was sexist? He actually based his opinion on his own observation of a real pregnant women, one that he presumably loves.
+Quote Post
fan_83
post Jan 20th 2008, 7:49 PM
Post #24

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,930

janos dude.... teyla's attitude towards pregnancy is way way different from your wifes.. as a leader in a preindustrual society.. htey are still expected to be active and contributing towards their life.. they don't have the option to not afford to eat anything that could just maybe be contaminated.. they don;t have that much food to spare.. although she may be taught differently by kellar but.. a lifetime of habits will not be broken so easily..

the part where she looked out the window to atttempt the climb up reflects that.. they are nto the same as us.. they don;t view pregnancy as an important part of their life.. its a life cycle to them.. not the beginning of an awesome part of life..
just because the writers choose to potray a different role of a pregnant mother that is different to your own.. doesn;t make them a crap writer who don;t know how to write pregnant woman
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 30th 2014 - 4:13 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.