JTMAG1
post Jan 13th 2008, 11:50 PM
Post #25

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 13th 2008, 11:28 PM) *

Firstly, she's not a mother yet, she's a mother to be, but her physical condition isn't at the point where it's impeding her. While she's in this condition I cannot see anyway in which she could possibly put the other team members at risk, later in the pregnancy yes, but that's what maternity leave is for.
The life of the child though in this mission is what got her through it, you could argue that she tried harder to keep control over the Wraith because the life of her child was threatened. We don't know that part.

As for the morning sickness on missions, more extreme aspects of pregnancy come in later, but she is not at the point at 3 months (where she was at the point none of the other characters had noticed a week earlier) where she is incapable. But the scenereo you posted would be incredibly unlikely and Teyla would resist it if they were in a life threatening situation.

Pitry's post did make sense. And so far I haven't heard any real arguments against anything she said.

In 411, Ronan tells Shep that he thinks she has the Flu (I took that as an insinuation of morning sickness from the writers), and Shep apologizes for her having to go out because he knows she doesn't feel so hot. She comes into the scene with a tired look about her. In this ep, she loses her balance and it looks like she is fatigued or something. I call that impedence. She might have tried harder to keep control over the Wraith, but the Wraith still tried to use the child against her. There is no doubt that Teyla would try to resist, but she would have more a stake with her baby at risk.

And just read that post, it was terrible. Like trying to press every letter in the word at the same time. Grammar and spelling just out of the window.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Reignfire
post Jan 14th 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #26

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,640

QUOTE(HSV @ Jan 13th 2008, 9:37 PM) *

Yes that's true ,but just once would be nice smile.gif

Well, they did get to keep Atlantis. 1.gif
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jan 14th 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #27

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(Pitry @ Jan 13th 2008, 1:15 PM) *

This isn't the case with Teyla yet. Not in her current condition. The entire approach to this was "you'd be risking your baby and we can't allow that". So, fu** all about how she feels/ thinks/ whatever, she'd be irresponsible to risk her unborn child. Murering him, perhaps? The same old abortion arguement. On;y it's not persented as an arguement - it's presented as an obviuos matter of fact. I'm sorry, it's not. If Teyla wants to risk her foetus - jsut liek she is willing to risk her own life every time she's in the field, BTW - it's her own bloody choice. Not anyone else's.

I disagree. The difference being is Teyla has never been pregnant. She has never faced the types of enemies and situations that they are facing now. Like she said, she's dealing with the thought that this could be the last of her people. She almost lost her child. She hadn't thought about that before. Now she does. I think it was handled extremely well.

I have not been a Teyla fan from the very beginning, but I have to say that they finally did something correct. They tapped into her Wraith DNA to do it, but that is what I wanted all along. It was an interesting idea to give her that, but they did nothing with it. Not only did the baby give her the strength to control the Queen's mind, but she operated that hive ship immediately. So does the Wraith gene/dna operate like the Ancient Gene? It allows you to operate the respective technology when others cannot.
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Jan 14th 2008, 2:32 AM
Post #28

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(Pitry @ Jan 14th 2008, 5:15 AM) *

I'm sorry, it's not. If Teyla wants to risk her foetus - jsut liek she is willing to risk her own life every time she's in the field, BTW - it's her own bloody choice. Not anyone else's.
QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 14th 2008, 3:28 PM) *

Pitry's post did make sense. And so far I haven't heard any real arguments against anything she said.

Well the best argument came from Teyla herself at the end of the episode:

TEYLA: You were right to question my involvement in this mission. There was a time when I would have laid down my life for you, or Ronon, or Rodney without hesitation. But I have other considerations now.

Whether or not you believe Teyla is still capable of withstanding the physical demands of her job, or whether you believe it's "her body, her choice", the point stands that her condition is going to affect the operations of the team. Like it or not, the fact that shes pregnant means that she's effectively compromised, and she can no longer put the team's considerations ahead of herself and her baby.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 14th 2008, 3:32 AM
Post #29

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Jan 14th 2008, 2:32 AM) *

Whether or not you believe Teyla is still capable of withstanding the physical demands of her job, or whether you believe it's "her body, her choice", the point stands that her condition is going to affect the operations of the team. Like it or not, the fact that shes pregnant means that she's effectively compromised, and she can no longer put the team's considerations ahead of herself and her baby.

Thanks, that's what I was trying to get out, but said much more clearly.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Jan 14th 2008, 5:45 AM
Post #30

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 14th 2008, 5:28 AM) *

Firstly, she's not a mother yet, she's a mother to be, but her physical condition isn't at the point where it's impeding her. While she's in this condition I cannot see anyway in which she could possibly put the other team members at risk, later in the pregnancy yes, but that's what maternity leave is for.
The life of the child though in this mission is what got her through it, you could argue that she tried harder to keep control over the Wraith because the life of her child was threatened. We don't know that part.

As for the morning sickness on missions, more extreme aspects of pregnancy come in later, but she is not at the point at 3 months (where she was at the point none of the other characters had noticed a week earlier) where she is incapable. But the scenereo you posted would be incredibly unlikely and Teyla would resist it if they were in a life threatening situation.

well if the life of her child is at stake on an off world mission (which quite often it would be)then i believe she should be stopped from going on off world missions, unless they are almost garanteed to not be involved in hostilities with an alien race.also at 3 month she is more likly to lose her baby if she does end up injured as the first 3 months of pregnancy are the most dangerous to the baby.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 14th 2008, 7:00 AM
Post #31

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Jan 14th 2008, 10:45 AM) *

well if the life of her child is at stake on an off world mission (which quite often it would be)then i believe she should be stopped from going on off world missions, unless they are almost garanteed to not be involved in hostilities with an alien race.also at 3 month she is more likly to lose her baby if she does end up injured as the first 3 months of pregnancy are the most dangerous to the baby.

But the fact is they would prioritise Teylas life just as much as the babies, she wouldn't be stopped going offworld for the sake of the baby, yet anyway. The life of her child atm would be no more at stake then the life of her, if they thought she'd be in a position where the child would be injured she wouldn't go, but then no one would.
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Jan 14th 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #32

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Jan 14th 2008, 9:32 AM) *

Well... I have no problem with Teyla's conclusion. In fact I think it's the right call, in this situation, particularily as she wants to keep the baby. But the fact it seems natural to anyone - let along SGA writers and quite a lot of fans here and on Gateworld that John Sheppard can misuse his position as his team's leader to force her into (in)action before she reached that conclusion is what drives me nuts.
Had Teyla chosen to smoke or drink during her pregnancy, no one would have had the right to tell her to stop. Her friends could have told her she's acting in a stupid and irresponsible way - which she would have - but they couldn't physically make her stop. Her choosing to risk her pregnancy is stupid and irresponsible in the same way. The only difference is Sheppard, as her commanding officer, can pull her out of active duty. Make the decision for her instead of letting her make the decision.
And it seems natural to way too many people that this is the right way it should be.
And yes, I'm really pissed off because of it, because it's pretty obvious to me where this leads and what it really means about women's place in society. Because when given the chance, so many people - women included - would apparently force their own POV/belief on a woman in such a situation, if they don't consider Sheppard's actions as misuse of power.

And JATMG.... it's not called misspelling. It's called typoes. There's quite the difference between the two, and nitpicking on it doesn't make my post any less legitimate, sorry. And even less so when such nitpicking is done in a rude manner. But, for your benefit, I have taken three times as long to type this post very slowly so that I won't make typoes. As for grammar mistakes, I would actually be quite happy if you pointed them, because as a non-native English speaker I might even learn from it.

At any rate, I'm done with this arguement, feeling like Don Quixote isn't as fun as it sounds.

This post has been edited by Pitry: Jan 14th 2008, 11:45 AM
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Jan 14th 2008, 2:47 PM
Post #33

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(Pitry @ Jan 15th 2008, 3:38 AM) *

Well... I have no problem with Teyla's conclusion. In fact I think it's the right call, in this situation, particularily as she wants to keep the baby. But the fact it seems natural to anyone - let along SGA writers and quite a lot of fans here and on Gateworld that John Sheppard can misuse his position as his team's leader to force her into (in)action before she reached that conclusion is what drives me nuts.
Had Teyla chosen to smoke or drink during her pregnancy, no one would have had the right to tell her to stop. Her friends could have told her she's acting in a stupid and irresponsible way - which she would have - but they couldn't physically make her stop. Her choosing to risk her pregnancy is stupid and irresponsible in the same way. The only difference is Sheppard, as her commanding officer, can pull her out of active duty. Make the decision for her instead of letting her make the decision.
And it seems natural to way too many people that this is the right way it should be.

Sorry Pitry, but yes, this IS the way it should be. Teyla came to the conclusion that her pregnancy compromised the effectiveness of the team. Just because Sheppard reached that conclusion before she did does by no means change that fact. And the second that he realised the team was compromised, it was his duty to do something about it.
Hypothetiocally,what would have happened if they'd gone on a mission and Ronon was being held prisoner? And they were counting n Teyla to help effect a rescue? And out of concern for her baby's saftey she hesitates just for a few moments....enough time for whoever ity is holding Ronon, to kill him. This or any one of a number of similar situations could have happened, and Sheppard would have caught crap from above for not having removed Teyla from the team.
LIke it or not Teyla's condition affects the Team, and its Shep's job to look after the team. He was well within his rights to do what he did, and he was obviously pissed because Teyla had knowingly been putting his team in that position without his knowledge for what was it....a month?
And yes, I'm really pissed off because of it, because it's pretty obvious to me where this leads and what it really means about women's place in society. Because when given the chance, so many people - women included - would apparently force their own POV/belief on a woman in such a situation, if they don't consider Sheppard's actions as misuse of power.

You can see it as some men vs women thing if you want, but it's really not the issue.Teyla compromised the team, she has to be taken of duty, end of story. Would you be still arguing this if it was a woman in command (Say for example Sam) who had made the decision to bench Teyla? And mark my words, had Sam been in command she would have done it. In fact with Sam in overall command of the expedition, she has the power to overrule John's decision. The fact she didn't means she agrees with him.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 14th 2008, 5:26 PM
Post #34

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pitry @ Jan 14th 2008, 11:38 AM) *

And JATMG.... it's not called misspelling. It's called typoes. There's quite the difference between the two, and nitpicking on it doesn't make my post any less legitimate, sorry. And even less so when such nitpicking is done in a rude manner. But, for your benefit, I have taken three times as long to type this post very slowly so that I won't make typoes. As for grammar mistakes, I would actually be quite happy if you pointed them, because as a non-native English speaker I might even learn from it.

At any rate, I'm done with this arguement, feeling like Don Quixote isn't as fun as it sounds.

It wasn't my intention to be rude, but I had to go into more detail because IP didn't know what I meant... I'm sorry. You're right, typos are different from misspellings. I personally find it rude when a person makes such a huge number of mistakes, but doesn't care enough to take a few more seconds to type correctly. If it takes you three times longer to type without those errors, I am sorry. I personally like to type with fewer errors than have someone need to read some of my sentences over and over to get my meaning, but it only takes me a few extra seconds to read as I type. No worries, I'll just go back to what I did in the past.

As Rogue pointed out, this was not a masculine vs femine thing. If Sam had a problem with it, she would have reactivated her. Actually, Keller should have made the decision before it had even come to John stepping in. When you join certain organizations you will forfeit certain liberties. In the military, they step in and make decisions for what they feel is your own good. Wether it's because of a physical or mental illness, or pregancy they know that your physical being can have a huge impact on the lives of others and sometimes it's not worth the risk, so people get hospitalized, transferred, sidelined or discharged even when they think they are good enough to go. It's just like an athlete. Sometimes they think they are healed from an injury, but the doctors and the coaches say no. You take it out of the individual's hands because sometimes people don't know what's best for them. They are too attached to an issue and they are unwilling to listen to reason, which is essentially what Shep had to tell Teyla.

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 14th 2008, 7:00 AM) *

But the fact is they would prioritise Teylas life just as much as the babies, she wouldn't be stopped going offworld for the sake of the baby, yet anyway. The life of her child atm would be no more at stake then the life of her, if they thought she'd be in a position where the child would be injured she wouldn't go, but then no one would.

No, the life of a innocent personc hild is held up higher than that of a soldier. Thats why we have terms like civillians and combatents. But there is also what we said above, about others being able to depend on her to be 100%. If there was a child at risk, any one of the team members would sacrifice themselves for that child.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Jan 14th 2008, 5:35 PM
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jan 15th 2008, 2:21 AM
Post #35

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Jan 14th 2008, 2:47 PM) *

Sorry Pitry, but yes, this IS the way it should be. Teyla came to the conclusion that her pregnancy compromised the effectiveness of the team. Just because Sheppard reached that conclusion before she did does by no means change that fact. And the second that he realised the team was compromised, it was his duty to do something about it.
Hypothetiocally,what would have happened if they'd gone on a mission and Ronon was being held prisoner? And they were counting n Teyla to help effect a rescue? And out of concern for her baby's saftey she hesitates just for a few moments....enough time for whoever ity is holding Ronon, to kill him. This or any one of a number of similar situations could have happened, and Sheppard would have caught crap from above for not having removed Teyla from the team.
LIke it or not Teyla's condition affects the Team, and its Shep's job to look after the team. He was well within his rights to do what he did, and he was obviously pissed because Teyla had knowingly been putting his team in that position without his knowledge for what was it....a month?
You can see it as some men vs women thing if you want, but it's really not the issue.Teyla compromised the team, she has to be taken of duty, end of story. Would you be still arguing this if it was a woman in command (Say for example Sam) who had made the decision to bench Teyla? And mark my words, had Sam been in command she would have done it. In fact with Sam in overall command of the expedition, she has the power to overrule John's decision. The fact she didn't means she agrees with him.

I didn't see it as a man vs woman thing either. John is the leader of his team. He has to count on each and every team member being 110% and that he can trust each of them to guard each other's backs. No matter what goes down.

Rodney is or was somewhat a coward, but he has come far. They can trust that Rodney will do what needs to be done, at least to the best of his ability. I'm sure that if they were heading into a situation that was more or less suicidal, John wouldn't let Rodney go in knowing that he is one of the best minds that can come up with a fix for the situations in Atlantis.

John is going to lead to their strengths. In the pact, John could count on both Ronon and Teyla to come out fighting and watching out for each other. Now with Teyla being pregnant, that is not her first priority. Soon Teyla will be noticeably pregnant. Any enemy could capture her and use that against John and Atlantis. Yes, this was the situation before, but with Teyla being pregnant she is not 100%, and may just hesitate that moment too long before saving a team member or getting caught herself.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Jan 15th 2008, 9:58 AM
Post #36

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 14th 2008, 11:26 PM) *

It wasn't my intention to be rude, but I had to go into more detail because IP didn't know what I meant... I'm sorry. You're right, typos are different from misspellings. I personally find it rude when a person makes such a huge number of mistakes, but doesn't care enough to take a few more seconds to type correctly. If it takes you three times longer to type without those errors, I am sorry. I personally like to type with fewer errors than have someone need to read some of my sentences over and over to get my meaning, but it only takes me a few extra seconds to read as I type. No worries, I'll just go back to what I did in the past.

As Rogue pointed out, this was not a masculine vs femine thing. If Sam had a problem with it, she would have reactivated her. Actually, Keller should have made the decision before it had even come to John stepping in. When you join certain organizations you will forfeit certain liberties. In the military, they step in and make decisions for what they feel is your own good. Wether it's because of a physical or mental illness, or pregancy they know that your physical being can have a huge impact on the lives of others and sometimes it's not worth the risk, so people get hospitalized, transferred, sidelined or discharged even when they think they are good enough to go. It's just like an athlete. Sometimes they think they are healed from an injury, but the doctors and the coaches say no. You take it out of the individual's hands because sometimes people don't know what's best for them. They are too attached to an issue and they are unwilling to listen to reason, which is essentially what Shep had to tell Teyla.
No, the life of a innocent personc hild is held up higher than that of a soldier. Thats why we have terms like civillians and combatents. But there is also what we said above, about others being able to depend on her to be 100%. If there was a child at risk, any one of the team members would sacrifice themselves for that child.

i totally agree with everything you've said there, and lets not forget that while teyla is pregnant she will be prone to her hormones which will also effect her judgements where the team is concerned.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 15th 2008, 2:45 PM
Post #37

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Jan 15th 2008, 2:58 PM) *

i totally agree with everything you've said there, and lets not forget that while teyla is pregnant she will be prone to her hormones which will also effect her judgements where the team is concerned.

Yeah, I'm sure her hormones will make it so that she let's the team be captured on a misson or something....
+Quote Post
JC1
post Jan 15th 2008, 4:20 PM
Post #38

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 342

An intresting episode. It goes some way to explain how the Wraith managed to overwhelm the Ancients with superior numbers. And the war they had with the Replicators, might explain where some of those numbers where lost. I'd still like to know where they get there ships from. Do they build them, grow them, clone them??

Hope we'll be seeing Todd again. He's certainly one of the more intresting characters on Atlantis.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 15th 2008, 4:26 PM
Post #39

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

An interesting episode IMO. Finding out how the Wraith reproduce was a good addition but suddenly finding out how the Wraith defeated the Ancients seemed like a cheap answer to that particular mystery.
The whole idea of the team finding an abandonned/damaged ship is predictable, I would have preferred Daedalus was involved somehow.
+Quote Post
tommo123
post Jan 15th 2008, 9:13 PM
Post #40

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,928

QUOTE(fan_83 @ Jan 14th 2008, 12:56 AM) *

i am no expert in the matters of the military but i got my two cents..

from the way shepard and lorne is acting, i am assuming that they were trained to take all female members of their team who are pregnant off active duty immediately...,. at least thats the wibe that i got.. from teylas point of view, its illogical at least until the third trmester where her physical condition is impaired.. but from shepard and others, its the risk of life that must be avoided..

also as atlantis team is run from a military perspective, i would assume earth's military procedure to be followed, as the athosian does not have military tradition, and ronan's is only a man..

and as teyla is a member of shepards team, she must be treated as a member and not as a leader... cos in a team there can only be one leader,,.. it would jeapordise the chain of command if teyla is treated as a leader and not another team member..
also i would assume that todd is let to escape as they don;t have the time to worry about keeping him secured..

just my 2 cents

i can see the point in letting a woman keep on active duty as normal until she cant work as normal - IF no one else knows she's pregnant. as soon as that info is out then things change. others in the team - male of female - may put themselves at risk due to instincts/reactions they wouldnt normally have for a man/non-pregnant woman.

That i would imagine could create some bad feeling even when some members of the team would be willing to leave the woman behind or whatever (depending on the situation), whereas another might be thinking more along the lines of "you cant leave a pregnant woman behind" and want to take a risk on saving her.

In a civilian situation it's a womans right to control her own body - her choice. the end IMO, but in a military situation you take a back seat to the good of the squad right? If there's a chance of instincts kicking in at a bad time and things going to hell - isn't it better to not let it get to that point in the first place?
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 15th 2008, 9:58 PM
Post #41

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(tommo123 @ Jan 16th 2008, 2:13 AM) *

i can see the point in letting a woman keep on active duty as normal until she cant work as normal - IF no one else knows she's pregnant. as soon as that info is out then things change. others in the team - male of female - may put themselves at risk due to instincts/reactions they wouldnt normally have for a man/non-pregnant woman.

That i would imagine could create some bad feeling even when some members of the team would be willing to leave the woman behind or whatever (depending on the situation), whereas another might be thinking more along the lines of "you cant leave a pregnant woman behind" and want to take a risk on saving her.

The Ark prooved they'd go to silly lengths to save Teyla, so that wouldn't be an issue anyway. And now I'm kinda glad they did with what she's got story wise in season 4 biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Jan 16th 2008, 5:40 AM
Post #42

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,724

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Jan 15th 2008, 9:58 AM) *

Yeah, because men aren't affected by their hormones while on missions...how many alien women has Shep slept with again? laugh.gif

IMO, Shep made the right call. This isn't about gender or a pro life debate. They are operating within a military structure, and whether you like it or not, Teyla's condition does put herself, her baby and the rest of the team at risk. In BAMSR they eluded to Teyla having already suffered morning sickness - that is compromising. wink.gif

As for Teyla taking this long to realise that, well I put that down to poppycock male writers. whistling.gif
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jan 16th 2008, 4:35 PM
Post #43

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(magnavox @ Jan 16th 2008, 5:40 AM) *

As for Teyla taking this long to realise that, well I put that down to poppycock male writers. whistling.gif

Yep, once again they have no idea about how to write for women. sad.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 16th 2008, 4:37 PM
Post #44

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(magnavox @ Jan 16th 2008, 5:40 AM) *

Yeah, because men aren't affected by their hormones while on missions...how many alien women has Shep slept with again? laugh.gif

IMO, Shep made the right call. This isn't about gender or a pro life debate. They are operating within a military structure, and whether you like it or not, Teyla's condition does put herself, her baby and the rest of the team at risk. In BAMSR they eluded to Teyla having already suffered morning sickness - that is compromising. wink.gif

lol, Shep only wanted to sleep with all those women. How do you get an Alien's number, espcially when she lives in space?

I can comprimise with the allusion.
+Quote Post
Ty_dA_maNn58
post Jan 16th 2008, 5:23 PM
Post #45

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,545

I have to say this now, cuz I thought of it about 10 mins into the episode, WRAITH BABY! I thought they (the writers) would kill off the baby, but now I'm thinking, it's going to be a wraith/human hybrid. When she took control of the hive ship, she said it was alot easier then before, that it seemed effortless, also when the queen was trying to stop Teyla from controlling her, she said the two of them were very powerful. Also when it was established that Teyla could connect with the wraith (this was highlighted in the 'previously on stargate atlantis...) Teyla said 'My father said it was a gift' referring to her 'special ability' and I thought someone said something about it also being a curse. So I started thinking, the gift could be her listening in on the wraith, the curse could be that it is passed from generation to generation, and with each person, slowly turning into something similar to the wraith. (I mean, maybe her mother could connect with the wraith, but they had to be closer together, and Teyla could connect with them at a further distance and control their ships, so this child would be more like the wraith) And then if you throw in some sort of rapid age-ing machine (Adria-Ori, in SG-1) I may of just stumbled onto season 5's enemy smile.gif

But as far as this episode goes, it was good. I was under the impression that it would be ONLY from the wraith's point of view. And I didn't see how it could be a part 3 (the little story arc seemed to be wrapped up in 2 episodes) and since the wraith weren't shown in the battle that much, I figured it would be a flashback to what the wraith did during the fight. So it was a little dissappointing that I didn't get to see MUCH of that, but I was amazed and happy with finding out how the wraith re-produced, and that this 'homeworld' was probably the 'weakness' referred to in Aurora.

When I saw the wraith come out of the breeding chamber, It seemed a little human-esque to me. (Maybe it's just because he was bald) But I was thinking there would be ancients, captured Atlantis members, or even Athosians (Teyla's people). And I thought they were doing something similar to battlestar galactica Cylons, (how they tried to crossbreed humans)

After Shep and his team discovered the 'breeding chambers' I was going to assume his plan was to leave, then come back with the daedalus and nuke the entire planet, which probably would of been better, because if the chambers were just the tip of the ice berg, a ship crashing into a mountain may not of taken everything out (But maybe that was his plan until they got captured)

And although I know he is the 'Star' of the show, if sheppard wanted to protect Teyla, instead of putting Lorne on guard duty, Sheppard should of sent Lorne and his men (with Rodney) to the planet, while Sheppard provided the security for Teyla. That would of been a little interesting, could explore more of Teyla and Sheppard's 'love interests', it would of given Lorne a much more important role (which I want to see) and everything could of worked out the same way as it did in the actual episode.

And one thing I didn't quite like, aside from the military 'no man left behind thinking (which isn't big on the show) why would Lorne stay in orbit? Sheppard was in control of a jumper, and Lorne could of gone, go the daedalus, leave shep to save himself then go through the gate using the jumper (which they ended up doing in the end anyways)

Oh and why would Teyla say 'the ship that attacked this ship, has a day head start on us.' They (Atlantis expedition) had no knowledge the wraith NEEDED a ZPM to power the 'facility on the planet' For all the Atlantis guys know, the wraith have always been inhabiting (and using) whatever was at the location.

And I seriosly doubt the planet was destroyed or even the 'facility' because Mckay said there was a super gate on the planet. So I think that will be explored too.

This post has been edited by Ty_dA_maNn58: Jan 16th 2008, 5:27 PM
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 16th 2008, 5:31 PM
Post #46

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(Ty_dA_maNn58 @ Jan 16th 2008, 10:23 PM) *
I have to say this now, cuz I thought of it about 10 mins into the episode, WRAITH BABY! I thought they (the writers) would kill off the baby, but now I'm thinking, it's going to be a wraith/human hybrid.
Teyla's baby? We know the baby's father is an Athosian, it will have some Wraith DNA passed on from Teyla but it won't be a Human/Wraith hybrid.

and that this 'homeworld' was probably the 'weakness' referred to in Aurora.
Wasn't that already revealed by TPTB in some spoilers?

And one thing I didn't quite like, aside from the military 'no man left behind thinking (which isn't big on the show) why would Lorne stay in orbit? Sheppard was in control of a jumper, and Lorne could of gone, go the daedalus, leave shep to save himself then go through the gate using the jumper (which they ended up doing in the end anyways)
They never mentioned where Daedalus was. All they said was to wait for the Daedalus to arrive, no length of time was specified. If they had done that, thousands of clones could have been produced or more Wraithships brought in to protect the planet.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 16th 2008, 7:38 PM
Post #47

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 16th 2008, 10:31 PM) *

Teyla's baby? We know the baby's father is an Athosian, it will have some Wraith DNA passed on from Teyla but it won't be a Human/Wraith hybrid.

Well they never said the father was the Athosian, only that she was sleeping with an Athosian, there is room for manipulation of plots by the writers here if they want something else to be the case. Something I've been hoping for since the news of her pregnancy came out. It would just be more interesting.

Her kinda knowing the kid was a boy even though she said Keller didn't tell her suggested to me that something else may be going on. There has to be more plot relevance to the baby once it's born I think for it to be interesting, else how are they really going to incorporate it into the show. I think to keep it 'alive' in the show (as in so we see it more then once every ten episodes) they'll develop some other thread about the baby.

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 16th 2008, 10:31 PM) *
that already revealed by TPTB in some spoilers?

Nothing is cannon until they say it on the show, unless they state that that's what the Wraith weakness was in 'Aurora', it's not official.

As for the above post, the Wraith's DNA gets weeded out as generations go by not get more powerfull, they said in one episode that the original members of the experiment could hear Wraith thoughts all the time. The baby will likely be less developed. But the evidence sugested so far indicates he will also have the gene somewhere, but that makes sense anyway.
And Sheppard staying behind to watch the ship isn't really the responsibility the team leader takes, it's his job to lead the team. Lorne is second in command and would fit the role better. I'm glad they did anyway because we got some nice scenes between Lorne and Teyla.
Teyla knew the Hive got the same information as them but a day earlier, and would head to the plannet. So her information about being a day early was accurate.
There was no super gate on the planet either, he said space gate, not super gate..

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Jan 16th 2008, 7:39 PM
+Quote Post
Joda
post Jan 17th 2008, 8:02 AM
Post #48

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,542

What if Carter took Teyla off active duty? Would it have been a sexist (read: man vs. woman) move then? Or would it have been the prudent thing to do? (Just asking as this arguement seems to have been explored fairly well)

Decent ep, it'd be nice though, if the good guys could grab more than one ZPM at a time once... then deplete one fully trying to escape or while enacting some hairbrain scheme... or keep a Wraith ship for a couple episodes before blowing it up... use it on a raid, then let it get toasted... I mean, I don't think we've got the facilities to properly repair the Hive ships back to 100% (thinking along the lines of replacing burnt out power lines, hull pieces, etc.) anyway, so get some decent milage out of it, then take 'er to the junkers.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 25th 2014 - 9:52 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.