Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> About this area

The loitering zone is for discussions about things other than Stargate. Please use the appropriate section when posting, and be sure to read the forum rules.

Loitering Zone Index: Off Topic Chatter | TV, Movies & Music | Computer Talk | Sports Talk | Forum Games

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scifi's top 25 moments of the last 25 years, No the channel...
JTMAG1
post Jan 7th 2008, 2:26 AM
Post #1

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,251

EW's list..

Startrek is kinda on here twice, bladerunner is too high, and guess what's missing...

EDIT: Glaring Omissions I haven't read them yet.

EDIT2: Ok, some good remarks on omission list. I coudn't tell which order it was in. I suspect most descending order. I will say Donnie Darko is the worst movie of all time. I've said it before. If I had the power to wipe one thing off of the earth, it would be Donnie Darko.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Jan 7th 2008, 2:45 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Jan 7th 2008, 4:05 AM
Post #2

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

Shattered... crying.gif
How could they forget about Stargate?

I agree with most of their list. Good to see they didn't miss out on some of the classics like Terminator and Alien. One thing I don't understand is why is Lost there? I wouldn't even really classify that as scifi.

LOL Donnie Darko. I remember when I had to watch that movie back at High School. By the end half our class were nearly in tears! I was sitting there thinking how much of a crap movie it was.
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Jan 7th 2008, 6:31 AM
Post #3

Major General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,411

I'm not surprised that Stargate wasn't on the list, it's pretty much those who love it, love it and the ones who don't, don't. Do I think it should have been there? Yes, I do.
Glad to see Quantum Leap on the list. QL and SG-1 pretty much begin and end scifi for me personally. I have to admit, I haven't seen much of what's on there.
I think they were right to leave Buffy/Angel off the list, that is not scifi. Fantasy, horror, yes. Scifi, no.
+Quote Post
strg8g33k
post Jan 7th 2008, 7:23 AM
Post #4

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 16,368

No Stargate!?!?!? The absolute wrongness of it knows no bounds but then again I'm a fanatic so I'm pretty biast in my point of view. I'm going through the top 25 now and I'm liking it so far. But it irks me that there is no Stargate which is in the Guinness book of Records for cryin' out loud!!
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Jan 7th 2008, 9:13 AM
Post #5

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

how can v make it and stargate not? v was a load of crap imo
ql was great though but i wouldn't class futurama as sci-fi as it's a cartoon(imo cartoons are cartoons whatever catagory they might fall into)
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 7th 2008, 9:28 AM
Post #6

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 7th 2008, 7:26 AM) *

EDIT2: Ok, some good remarks on omission list. I coudn't tell which order it was in. I suspect most descending order. I will say Donnie Darko is the worst movie of all time. I've said it before. If I had the power to wipe one thing off of the earth, it would be Donnie Darko.

Yeah, Donnie Darko has got to be the most over rated movie ever. I saw it before it came big, when it was just released on DVD no one had heard of it. I didn't really like it. Then about 9 months-a year later everyone started talking about it saying it was really good, eventually about a year after I watched it again and had the same opinion I did the first time. It's not that good, they cut footage out for time so it didn't really make sense, then people liked that and it did well. It would have been less mysterious had they not done that. It's just not a very good movie imo.

Btw are these the same people who came up with the last list of 'top 25 Sci Fi programs' to also miss out Stargate and Farscape? Also on the 'Glaring ommisions' page it's interesting that the photo taken from Stargate was from what most fans consider one of the worst episodes of all time (Naked white men). Stargate was on page three of that list though.
Lost isn't Sci Fi though, it's got elements of Sci fi in it but that doesn't make it a Sci fi.

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Jan 7th 2008, 2:13 PM) *

how can v make it and stargate not? v was a load of crap imo
ql was great though but i wouldn't class futurama as sci-fi as it's a cartoon(imo cartoons are cartoons whatever catagory they might fall into)

Cartoon just means it's animated, it's still sci fi, so what it's drawn rather then filmed that doesn't change it's genre.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Jan 7th 2008, 9:29 AM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 7th 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #7

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Stargate was on page 3 of that list, but I think that list is going in the opposite order.

Donnie Darko didn't have a plot. There was no antagonist/protagonist conflict, no resolution. It was just a bad movie.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 7th 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #8

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 7th 2008, 11:31 AM) *

Donnie Darko didn't have a plot. There was no antagonist/protagonist conflict, no resolution. It was just a bad movie.

My bro got me that movie for Christmas, though I had already seen it and come to the conclusion that the writer must be out of his or her mind.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 7th 2008, 1:23 PM
Post #9

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 7th 2008, 4:31 PM) *

Stargate was on page 3 of that list, but I think that list is going in the opposite order.

Oh no that I was fine with, I don't really need that. What was a bit bad was just how the plot didn't really make any sense, or was any point whatsoever (imo).

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 7th 2008, 4:38 PM) *

My bro got me that movie for Christmas, though I had already seen it and come to the conclusion that the writer must be out of his or her mind.

Yeah pretty much.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 7th 2008, 2:32 PM
Post #10

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 7th 2008, 4:31 PM) *
It's got a plot, it's just difficult to figure out. Donnie was meant to die right at the beginning when the plane engine originally fell through his roof. When he survived, it started to unravel reality and the only way to set things right was for Donnie to kill himself by making the engine drop from the plane.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jan 7th 2008, 4:45 PM
Post #11

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

I'm not surprised that SG1 was left out. I'm disappointed, but not surprised. As they said, how can you diss the longest running sci-fi show? mad.gif

I am totally ticked off that they picked Starship Troopers though over some that were left off. That has to have been one of the worst, if not the worst sci-fi movie ever.

I'm surprised they picked Back to the Future for it. I would have pegged it more fantasy then sci-fi, but that's just me.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Jan 7th 2008, 6:40 PM
Post #12

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jan 8th 2008, 8:45 AM) *

I am totally ticked off that they picked Starship Troopers though over some that were left off. That has to have been one of the worst, if not the worst sci-fi movie ever.

Starship Troopers was an awesome movie. Blood and guts flying everywhere. If I remember right they said it was one of those love it or hate it movies. Though I would probably say that it shouldn't have been on that list.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 7th 2008, 9:20 PM
Post #13

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Jan 7th 2008, 11:40 PM) *

Starship Troopers was an awesome movie. Blood and guts flying everywhere. If I remember right they said it was one of those love it or hate it movies. Though I would probably say that it shouldn't have been on that list.

The whole point is this list (and others like it) seem to have been made by people who don't really know the genre. Or know what's good in it, they just go with the mainstream examples and leave it at that. SG-1 and Farscape have been left in the cold before, despite most Sci-fi fans thinking they were very good.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jan 9th 2008, 2:01 AM
Post #14

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

EW may have left both SG1 and SGA off the list, but apparently the fans have not. They just had the People's Choice Awards in the US and SGA won for favorite sci-fi series. This is an awards show that the people actually are the ones to vote, online for the categories.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 9th 2008, 2:34 AM
Post #15

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jan 9th 2008, 2:01 AM) *

EW may have left both SG1 and SGA off the list, but apparently the fans have not. They just had the People's Choice Awards in the US and SGA won for favorite sci-fi series. This is an awards show that the people actually are the ones to vote, online for the categories.

I've always been a person to lean more towards what fans and the average person says, rather than a critic or professional viewer. I like the IMDB ratings for things, because it usually tells me what a person that's more like me, or I can look a a bigger segment and compare averages. I don't usually care what a small group of critics says about a movie. It seems to me that they aren't watching to be entertained, but they want to see how a movie or show changes the world.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 9th 2008, 3:29 AM
Post #16

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 9th 2008, 9:34 AM) *

I've always been a person to lean more towards what fans and the average person says, rather than a critic or professional viewer. I like the IMDB ratings for things, because it usually tells me what a person that's more like me, or I can look a a bigger segment and compare averages. I don't usually care what a small group of critics says about a movie. It seems to me that they aren't watching to be entertained, but they want to see how a movie or show changes the world.

I've always liked the IMDB user ratings as well... That is until yesterday when I noticed that Juno, a comedy which is indeed top five at the box office, gets a very high mark, while the film itself is crap, played by crap actors with a crap screenplay. The experts at IMDB give it 1/10, while the users give it 8.3/10.

When it comes to user ratings, the mass will vote for which the others think is the best without even seeing or knowing what they vote for.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 9th 2008, 10:25 AM
Post #17

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Jan 9th 2008, 3:29 AM) *

I've always liked the IMDB user ratings as well... That is until yesterday when I noticed that Juno, a comedy which is indeed top five at the box office, gets a very high mark, while the film itself is crap, played by crap actors with a crap screenplay. The experts at IMDB give it 1/10, while the users give it 8.3/10.

When it comes to user ratings, the mass will vote for which the others think is the best without even seeing or knowing what they vote for.

F**k that. Juno was absolutely hilarious. I and the rest of the nearly filled large theater were laughing our asses off for most of the movie.

EDIT: Who are the "experts" at imdb?
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 9th 2008, 10:27 AM
Post #18

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Jan 9th 2008, 3:29 AM) *

I haven't seen Juno myself, but on a local morning show yeseterday, they mentioned how good it was, and that it was nominated on for lots of awards. Perhaps it's a love it or hate it movie.

Yeah Daf, I knew that was the story, but it was just very stupid to me. The plot was that the main character wasn't supposed to exist. And they didn't do a good job explaining the whole book thing and how it affected the story. I just think it was a horrible movie. Dreamcatcher was a better movie.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 9th 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #19

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 9th 2008, 10:27 AM) *

I haven't seen Juno myself, but on a local morning show yeseterday, they mentioned how good it was, and that it was nominated on for lots of awards. Perhaps it's a love it or hate it movie.
Yeah Daf, I knew that was the story, but it was just very stupid to me. The plot was that the main character wasn't supposed to exist. And they didn't do a good job explaining the whole book thing and how it affected the story. I just think it was a horrible movie. Dreamcatcher was a better movie.

Dreamcatcher was absolutely a better movie, even if its plot was also somewhat ambiguous and confusing. It sometimes felt like there was something I, as the viewer, was missing. Donnie Darko makes a lot more sense the second time it is watched, as does Dreamcatcher... though Dreamcatcher was easier to follow the first time through.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 9th 2008, 10:40 AM
Post #20

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 9th 2008, 10:31 AM) *

Dreamcatcher was absolutely a better movie, even if its plot was also somewhat ambiguous and confusing. It sometimes felt like there was something I, as the viewer, was missing. Donnie Darko makes a lot more sense the second time it is watched, as does Dreamcatcher... though Dreamcatcher was easier to follow the first time through.

Yes, some movies do make more sense the next time around, but Donnie will not get that chance with me. Even on the description of the Matrix, the writers say that the sequels are crap, which is what I felt when I walked out of the theater the first time. Now, they get better to me each time I watch them. Especially the second one. The third was still very low on my list.
+Quote Post
Janos
post Jan 9th 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #21

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,403

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 9th 2008, 8:27 AM) *

And they didn't do a good job explaining the whole book thing and how it affected the story.

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 9th 2008, 8:31 AM) *

Donnie Darko makes a lot more sense the second time it is watched, as does Dreamcatcher... though Dreamcatcher was easier to follow the first time through.

What are you guys talking about? It made complete sense when I saw it. I don't get it, what was confusing about it? They explained every single thing that was going on and put it all out in the open for everyone to see... huh.gif

I mean, that's why I liked it... It wasn't as esoteric as something like Lost Highway or Mulholland Drive. Everything in it actually made sense.

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 9th 2008, 8:40 AM) *

Yes, some movies do make more sense the next time around, but Donnie will not get that chance with me. Even on the description of the Matrix, the writers say that the sequels are crap, which is what I felt when I walked out of the theater the first time. Now, they get better to me each time I watch them. Especially the second one. The third was still very low on my list.

Ok, so, you didn't like Donnie Darko the first time, and even though you realize you could understand it better, there's no way you'll watch it again because you didn't like it the first time. And then you didn't like the Matrix sequels at all the first time, and even though the writers themselves are saying it's crap, you still watch the sequels again and again.

So my question is, if you didn't like Donnie Darko the first time and refused to watch it again, why would you watch the Matrix sequels again if you didn't like those.

It seems like you not liking a movie is grounds for never watching it again while at the same time, you not liking a movie is grounds for watching it over and over again.... huh.gif

Oh yeah, The Matrix trilogys SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED. I had such high hopes when I went to the theater and they were dashed so hard upon the ground that I left the theater thinking "What in the flying fu** happened to the writers between the first movie and this one?"
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 9th 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #22

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Janos @ Jan 9th 2008, 11:50 AM) *

What are you guys talking about? It made complete sense when I saw it. I don't get it, what was confusing about it? They explained every single thing that was going on and put it all out in the open for everyone to see... huh.gif

I mean, that's why I liked it... It wasn't as esoteric as something like Lost Highway or Mulholland Drive. Everything in it actually made sense.

I probably wasn't paying close enough attention. Frankly, I don't even remember Drew Barrymore being in that movie.
+Quote Post
hobo_joe20
post Jan 9th 2008, 1:38 PM
Post #23

Brigadier General
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,055

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jan 7th 2008, 4:45 PM) *

I'm surprised they picked Back to the Future for it. I would have pegged it more fantasy then sci-fi, but that's just me.

Back to the Future was about time travel using technology to get you there. Sounds like sci-fi to me.

As for movie ratings, I find rotten tomatoes to be a good source of what the general population feels about a particular movie.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 9th 2008, 3:31 PM
Post #24

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 9th 2008, 5:25 PM) *

F**k that. Juno was absolutely hilarious. I and the rest of the nearly filled large theater were laughing our asses off for most of the movie.

EDIT: Who are the "experts" at imdb?

I also have seen Juno, and I haven't found any part of that movie brilliant or hilarious for that matter. But I guess it's all a matter of taste. Some people who can taste those sort of jokes and moments will find it funny as hell, whilst others will find it a waste of money. And whilst your nearly filled theater were laughing their asses off, my nearly filled theater had only a few sporadic laughs in the distance.

All a matter of taste. 1.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 23rd 2014 - 5:04 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.