Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate Atlantis only. Atlantis spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate SG-1 Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is it with Ancient Technology and Water?
Dafmeister
post Nov 28th 2007, 4:01 PM
Post #25

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(commaste91 @ Nov 28th 2007, 1:23 PM) *
Guys I think that the event horizon is these water life forms. It might sound weird. I mean look at the episode Watergate when the sub is being crushed. The front window breaks but no water comes into the sub, which means that there is life forms in the water, which can control the water. They could be like the life forms that where in the Atlantis episode Home.
The event horizon is defintiely not a lifeform. The reason the water didn't enter the submarine in 'Watergate' was because the lifeforms can either control the water in which they live or are the water. Daniel himself said the lifeforms were most likely curious so logically they would not let Daniel and the others die.

Also I don't think that those water things in Atlantis where Water Purifiers cause if you look in the episode Travellers you will see a lot of them on the Ancient Ship.
Like JTMAG1 said, a water purification system on a space ship isn't all that difficult to believe.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Nov 28th 2007, 6:27 PM
Post #26

Major General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(commaste91 @ Nov 28th 2007, 3:23 PM) *

Guys I think that the event horizon is these water life forms. It might sound weird. I mean look at the episode Watergate when the sub is being crushed. The front window breaks but no water comes into the sub, which means that there is life forms in the water, which can control the water. They could be like the life forms that where in the Atlantis episode Home.
Also I don't think that those water things in Atlantis where Water Purifiers cause if you look in the episode Travellers you will see a lot of them on the Ancient Ship.

Event horizon made out of lifeforms. I gotta say that this just made my day. Thank you. laugh.gif

Now, you do know they don't enter water when they travel through the Stargate, right?

You also should know that if there would be matter on that puddle circle, it would be automatically sucked into the wormhole: the gate actually decomposes matter into energy and sends it through, so how could the device that transforms matter into energy be composed of matter?( whistling.gif ) The puddle of the gate has to be made of particles of energy capable of resisting the actual tidal forces of the wormhole and maintaining the connection stable at the same time.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Nov 29th 2007, 11:15 AM
Post #27

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Nov 29th 2007, 12:27 AM) *

Event horizon made out of lifeforms. I gotta say that this just made my day. Thank you. laugh.gif

Now, you do know they don't enter water when they travel through the Stargate, right?

You also should know that if there would be matter on that puddle circle, it would be automatically sucked into the wormhole: the gate actually decomposes matter into energy and sends it through, so how could the device that transforms matter into energy be composed of matter?( whistling.gif ) The puddle of the gate has to be made of particles of energy capable of resisting the actual tidal forces of the wormhole and maintaining the connection stable at the same time.

yes that is rather funny isn't it crying.gif laugh.gif .
it was said that the water was an illusion in one episode by sam season three episode 19 new ground,
lol i loved o 'niells giant worms comment in that episode.
+Quote Post
commaste91
post Dec 5th 2007, 8:55 AM
Post #28

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,813

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 29th 2007, 3:46 AM) *

Was this a joke?

What you seen when you look at the active gave is just a visualization. You can't actually see the wormhole, so you see the water effect to know that the gate is active.

Why can't the ancient ship have a water purification system? It's hard to get water in space and it would be very helpful if they could purify the water they have.

But what if the Water effect so you call it is the very thing that gives the Stargate the power to open a wormhole. I mean I know that the Stargate is a big superconductor but what if this water stuff is what conducts the energy.

Also who would the Ancients want to put water Purification Systems on a ship when they could just put in fresh water from Atlantis?
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Dec 5th 2007, 9:27 AM
Post #29

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(commaste91 @ Dec 5th 2007, 3:55 PM) *

But what if the Water effect so you call it is the very thing that gives the Stargate the power to open a wormhole. I mean I know that the Stargate is a big superconductor but what if this water stuff is what conducts the energy.

Also who would the Ancients want to put water Purification Systems on a ship when they could just put in fresh water from Atlantis?

Have you read my damn post? The water stuff (as you call it) has only one purpose: dematerialize an object and store the information into the gate buffer. The actual Stargate ring is what gives the Stargate the power to open a wormhole.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Dec 5th 2007, 10:21 AM
Post #30

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

QUOTE(commaste91 @ Dec 5th 2007, 2:55 PM) *

the water stuff as you call it is just the event horizon of the wormhole it has not substance or mass
while it may be made of energy it isn't what give the gate power the gate itself gets that power from the dhd
if the event horizon conducted the energy we'd get electrocute every time we went through the gate cool.gif
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Dec 5th 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #31

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Dec 5th 2007, 5:21 PM) *

the water stuff as you call it is just the event horizon of the wormhole it has not substance or mass
while it may be made of energy it isn't what give the gate power the gate itself gets that power from the dhd
if the event horizon conducted the energy we'd get electrocute every time we went through the gate cool.gif

Like I have just said, the gate draws power from the ring, not the DHD. While outgoing wormholes are activated via a DHD, incoming ones have no connection with that. Also, we have seen an outgoing wormhole being activated without a DHD (only the ring) several times.

And no, you wouldn't necessarily get electrocuted every time you went through the gate. There are many forms of energy. You could get burned for instance, or get zapped by radiation.

Oh, and energy CAN have mass you know, even if it is very small. The only form of energy we know that is still disputed as to having mass or not is light. For instance, the mass of an electron is aprox. 9.1 10-31 kilograms.

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Dec 5th 2007, 11:28 AM
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Dec 5th 2007, 7:24 PM
Post #32

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Dec 6th 2007, 3:27 AM) *

Like I have just said, the gate draws power from the ring, not the DHD. While outgoing wormholes are activated via a DHD, incoming ones have no connection with that. Also, we have seen an outgoing wormhole being activated without a DHD (only the ring) several times.

The DHD contains a power source to 'charge' the gate. While the gate can work without a DHD, an alternate power source is required to 'charge' it. Like in S10E16 Bad Guys (SG-1), they used a Naquadah bomb to power the gate.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Dec 5th 2007, 7:35 PM
Post #33

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Dec 6th 2007, 2:24 AM) *

The DHD contains a power source to 'charge' the gate. While the gate can work without a DHD, an alternate power source is required to 'charge' it. Like in S10E16 Bad Guys (SG-1), they used a Naquadah bomb to power the gate.

I didn't say the ring is the power source. I said the gate (or the wormhole to be more exact) draws power from it. Of course, the gate won't draw any power if the ring doesn't have any to give. You would have to charge it with an alternate power source.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Dec 5th 2007, 9:26 PM
Post #34

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Dec 5th 2007, 7:35 PM) *

I didn't say the ring is the power source. I said the gate (or the wormhole to be more exact) draws power from it. Of course, the gate won't draw any power if the ring doesn't have any to give. You would have to charge it with an alternate power source.

Like the lightning bolt in Torment of Tantalus
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Dec 6th 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #35

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

Or the Vines in the prison ep, or the lifeforms in the SGA ep 'Home'.

EDIT: Why keep a water purification system on board? Maybe because water is extremly heavy and takes up space and there isn't much to spare for each. Perhaps because they spend lots of time in space, and a lack of water is detrimental to carbon based lifeforms?

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Dec 6th 2007, 2:25 PM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Dec 7th 2007, 2:41 AM
Post #36

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Dec 6th 2007, 12:32 PM) *

Or the Vines in the prison ep, or the lifeforms in the SGA ep 'Home'.

EDIT: Why keep a water purification system on board? Maybe because water is extremly heavy and takes up space and there isn't much to spare for each. Perhaps because they spend lots of time in space, and a lack of water is detrimental to carbon based lifeforms?

I bet all starships have a water reclamation system... they probably recycle everything from urine to sweat...
+Quote Post
OdinisThor'sDad
post Dec 13th 2007, 1:52 PM
Post #37

ASSgards are pussies!
Group Icon

Member No.: 490

QUOTE(Revan @ Dec 7th 2007, 4:41 PM) *

I bet all starships have a water reclamation system... they probably recycle everything from urine to sweat...

The misson to Mars will have sweat/urine recycling systems. If our cpy tech can do it...you know the Ancients could and would.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Dec 13th 2007, 9:05 PM
Post #38

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(OdinisThor'sDad @ Dec 13th 2007, 1:52 PM) *

The misson to Mars will have sweat/urine recycling systems. If our cpy tech can do it...you know the Ancients could and would.

Speaking of out crappy technology doing it...
+Quote Post
Abaddonian
post Nov 19th 2009, 4:50 AM
Post #39

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 34,911

Just answering the main topic question... I think the little 'water thingies' were not water recyclers or reclaimers I COULD BE WRONG. If they were, however, wouldn't some of them be full of urine and/or other, more substantial faeces? I'm thinking that they were mere decorations, so that Atlantis didn't look boring and was at least partially stimulating to the mind. The Traveller Aurora may have been an older Aurora, from before the war, and if you're a crewman stationed on a boring old warship patrolling/exploring, you'd want something; trees, sculptures, anything to keep you occupied and your mind ticking over, excluding girlfriends.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 28th 2014 - 12:22 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.