Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate Atlantis only. Atlantis spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate SG-1 Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is it with Ancient Technology and Water?
commaste91
post Nov 18th 2007, 7:01 PM
Post #1

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,813

We see everywhere in the Atlantis that there are like decorations with water and everything. Is there for some reason these "decorations" have a purpose?
Also the Stargate. The event horizon looks like water. Whats with that?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Nov 18th 2007, 7:08 PM
Post #2

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

All we see is an occasional tube with water running through it. Given Atlantis' associating with water, it's a natural element to have present. Look at the other Ancient structures we have seen, there is no flowing water in the design. Who knows, maybe it is part of the technology that allows the city to float.
As for the EH, there is nothing "with it". TPTB just decided to represent it in that way.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 18th 2007, 7:16 PM
Post #3

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

I watched an audio commentary from Atlantis about a week ago where they were jokingly saying they were trying to film as much water in the episode as possible after a few shots opened up with running water in Atlantis. I think it's just a decoration though, to go with the theme of water that the city seems to have.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 18th 2007, 8:02 PM
Post #4

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

One of the audio commentaries describes those water thingies as "water purification" systems.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Nov 18th 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #5

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(commaste91 @ Nov 19th 2007, 2:01 AM) *

Also the Stargate. The event horizon looks like water. Whats with that?

The Stargate has looked like that since the movie. It has no connection whatsoever with the Ancients since they were not thought up back then. The reason why it looks like water was probably for special effects.
+Quote Post
commaste91
post Nov 19th 2007, 3:57 AM
Post #6

Airman First Class
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Nov 19th 2007, 3:44 PM) *

The Stargate has looked like that since the movie. It has no connection whatsoever with the Ancients since they were not thought up back then. The reason why it looks like water was probably for special effects.

OK but in a SG episode in season 4 called Water Gate. We find a new kind of energy based society. They look almost like the event horizon of a Stargate, and they also give off energy. What if these "decorations" is Atlantis is a way of storing energy?
Just a thought here.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 19th 2007, 4:07 AM
Post #7

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Since Atlantis sits on water, it is logical to assume they would simply use the abundant resource all around them, instead of seeking it elsewhere. I think the commentary opinion can probably be taken as canon. Those trickling water thingies are water purifiers and probably transfer conduits.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Nov 19th 2007, 9:02 AM
Post #8

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

QUOTE(Revan @ Nov 19th 2007, 10:07 AM) *

Since Atlantis sits on water, it is logical to assume they would simply use the abundant resource all around them, instead of seeking it elsewhere. I think the commentary opinion can probably be taken as canon. Those trickling water thingies are water purifiers and probably transfer conduits.

and it's probably a desalinisation treatment too (changing salt water into pure water)(i've always wondered where atlantis got fresh water from in the first year that the humans were there and now it seems we know)
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 19th 2007, 11:29 AM
Post #9

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(commaste91 @ Nov 19th 2007, 3:57 AM) *

OK but in a SG episode in season 4 called Water Gate. We find a new kind of energy based society. They look almost like the event horizon of a Stargate, and they also give off energy. What if these "decorations" is Atlantis is a way of storing energy?
Just a thought here.

We know where the Ancients got their power, It wasn't from a race of water beings, and those water beings were sentient. I don't think the Ancients would have kept them captive in order to power or decorate their city.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Nov 19th 2007, 1:47 PM
Post #10

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(commaste91 @ Nov 19th 2007, 8:57 AM) *
Just a thought here.
How do they look like the EH? The beings in 'Watergate' exist in the water, we have no idea what they actually look like. I don't see how you can compare the appearance of an alien race to the way the EH looks.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Nov 20th 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #11

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Nov 19th 2007, 7:47 PM) *

How do they look like the EH? The beings in 'Watergate' exist in the water, we have no idea what they actually look like. I don't see how you can compare the appearance of an alien race to the way the EH looks.

dafs right the beings were microscopic and only lived in the water(they could also control it too)
really it was a little like an old star trek tng episode with the sand microbes (i've forgotten the episode name).
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 20th 2007, 2:13 PM
Post #12

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Nov 20th 2007, 10:14 AM) *

dafs right the beings were microscopic and only lived in the water(they could also control it too)
really it was a little like an old star trek tng episode with the sand microbes (i've forgotten the episode name).

I think that the water was the organisms...

That was Home Soil, was it not?
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 20th 2007, 2:16 PM
Post #13

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Nov 20th 2007, 2:13 PM) *

I think that the water was the organisms...

That was Home Soil, was it not?

I was also under the impression that the organisms were the water. Similar to how the mist were the organisms in that SGA ep.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Nov 21st 2007, 9:33 AM
Post #14

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 20th 2007, 8:16 PM) *

I was also under the impression that the organisms were the water. Similar to how the mist were the organisms in that SGA ep.

I'm fairly sure that they organisms were in the water but i could be wrong it's been about a year and a half since i last saw the episode but it was my impression that the organisms where in the water and that there were millions of them in the water that we saw(the small amount that maybourne swallowed).
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Nov 21st 2007, 1:21 PM
Post #15

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Nov 21st 2007, 4:33 PM) *

I'm fairly sure that they organisms were in the water but i could be wrong it's been about a year and a half since i last saw the episode but it was my impression that the organisms where in the water and that there were millions of them in the water that we saw(the small amount that maybourne swallowed).

I actually remember the same thing. It would basically be impossible for the water to be alive without the presence of micro-organisms in it.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Nov 22nd 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #16

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Nov 21st 2007, 7:21 PM) *

I actually remember the same thing. It would basically be impossible for the water to be alive without the presence of micro-organisms in it.

besides which if it was the water itself that was alive it'd be impossible for there to be more than one organism which maybourne clearly stated that there was.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 22nd 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #17

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Nov 22nd 2007, 10:24 AM) *

besides which if it was the water itself that was alive it'd be impossible for there to be more than one organism which maybourne clearly stated that there was.

They took a sample of the water because it gave off energy and it turned out to be alive.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 22nd 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #18

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Nov 22nd 2007, 10:24 AM) *

Why would it be impossible for there to be more than one organism?
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Nov 23rd 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #19

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 22nd 2007, 6:21 PM) *

Why would it be impossible for there to be more than one organism?

because the water would be one mass making it one organism it wouldn't be seperate so you wouldn't be able to have more than one(I do know that I haven't explained this very well but i can't quite put my thoughts onto paper).
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 23rd 2007, 11:18 AM
Post #20

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Nov 23rd 2007, 3:25 PM) *

because the water would be one mass making it one organism it wouldn't be seperate so you wouldn't be able to have more than one(I do know that I haven't explained this very well but i can't quite put my thoughts onto paper).

Think of it like worms, you can cut them in half and both halves live (although I've heard that's just an urban rumour, but you get the point) it doesn't have to be one organism. Kinda like the gas clouds from Home that was billions of organisms not just one big mass of gas!
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 23rd 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #21

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Nov 23rd 2007, 11:18 AM) *

Think of it like worms, you can cut them in half and both halves live (although I've heard that's just an urban rumour, but you get the point) it doesn't have to be one organism. Kinda like the gas clouds from Home that was billions of organisms not just one big mass of gas!

That is exactly what I was thinking about.

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Nov 23rd 2007, 10:25 AM) *

Regular water is not even one mass. It's made up of tiny little individual H2O Molecules, yet they all work together to create currents and waves and tides and all that stuff. You can extract a small amount, and the mass continues to behave in the same way.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 23rd 2007, 7:49 PM
Post #22

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Nov 23rd 2007, 10:25 AM) *

Many bitty little organisms (microscopic) all coming together to create a consciousness...

Think of it like a town hall meeting... many voices eventually settle on a course of action.
+Quote Post
commaste91
post Nov 28th 2007, 8:23 AM
Post #23

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Guys I think that the event horizon is these water life forms. It might sound weird. I mean look at the episode Watergate when the sub is being crushed. The front window breaks but no water comes into the sub, which means that there is life forms in the water, which can control the water. They could be like the life forms that where in the Atlantis episode Home.
Also I don't think that those water things in Atlantis where Water Purifiers cause if you look in the episode Travellers you will see a lot of them on the Ancient Ship.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 28th 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #24

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(commaste91 @ Nov 28th 2007, 8:23 AM) *

Guys I think that the event horizon is these water life forms. It might sound weird. I mean look at the episode Watergate when the sub is being crushed. The front window breaks but no water comes into the sub, which means that there is life forms in the water, which can control the water. They could be like the life forms that where in the Atlantis episode Home.
Also I don't think that those water things in Atlantis where Water Purifiers cause if you look in the episode Travellers you will see a lot of them on the Ancient Ship.

Was this a joke?

What you seen when you look at the active gave is just a visualization. You can't actually see the wormhole, so you see the water effect to know that the gate is active.

Why can't the ancient ship have a water purification system? It's hard to get water in space and it would be very helpful if they could purify the water they have.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 25th 2014 - 2:41 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.