post Dec 1st 2007, 2:09 AM
Post #121

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Dec 1st 2007, 1:02 PM) *

I was just repeating what I read.

We know that, we were replying to Lancelot (at least I was, I assume Marv was doing the same)

A fantastic memory is still extremly far from a photographic memory.

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Dec 1st 2007, 5:24 PM) *

I have always considered a photographic memory to be one in which you could look at a page filled with text for a couple of seconds and then be able to read off the entire page from your memory. Actually isn't that similar to how some1 is tested for it? (with objects rather than words though). From that definition i would tend to say that its either something you have or don't have.

There'd still be degrees to that though. Some people may be able to only remember only one or 2 words, others over half the page (or objects depending on the type of test). Some people have a bad memory other people have good memories, thats just how it is. Consider it a scale from 1-10 with 10 being photographic...then you could call "nearly photographic" (or "fantastic" as JT puts it) an 8 or 9.

Have you ever considered that the Asurans would be using the Atlantis style ship as an outpost on another planet? It is highly likely since they are at war.

I suppose that's always possible too. I assume you mean using it as a sort of mobile starship base? (kind of like an aircraft carrier I guess)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Dec 1st 2007, 2:21 AM
Post #122

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Dec 1st 2007, 2:09 AM) *

We know that, we were replying to Lancelot (at least I was, I assume Marv was doing the same)
You're probably right, but since I was quoted...

Consider it a scale from 1-10 with 10 being photographic...then you could call "nearly photographic" (or "fantastic" as JT puts it) an 8 or 9.

Here is the wiki artical on eidetic memory

Here is an interesting line from that page
While many people demonstrate extraordinary memory abilities, it is unlikely that true eidetic memory, if it exists at all, is found in adults.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Dec 1st 2007, 2:25 AM
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Dec 1st 2007, 3:08 AM
Post #123

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

There are two different parts of the human brain controlling the memory acquiring process and the memory retaining process. A photographic memory is the ability to acquire every detail just like you said, but every detail, not just a part, not just 2/3 of the details, all of them, and then reproduce them later. People that can't acquire all the details do not posses a photographic memory, but rather a very good memory. Whether you keep it for a longer while or a shorter while is up to your long-term memory ability. Many people may have photographic memory and keep all the details for a short while, but they forget while time passes, so we can't really check if the memory was photographic or not.

Have you ever taken a picture of a forest with some of the little leafs taken out? I think not. But you can take a picture, and after a small malfunction, your camera reproduces 50% of the picture. That 50% could be any part of the picture, but all the details are still in there. That is how a photographic memory is like: you don't have time to scan the entire image, but the regions scanned have all the details in them.

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Dec 1st 2007, 3:08 AM
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Dec 2nd 2007, 1:02 PM
Post #124

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

bloody hell I wouldn't have thought that one comment I made would cause such a debate so i'll reiterate it I have a very good memory about episodes that i have seen to the point that if there is nothing on I can sometimes actually watch episodes i have seen in my head.but if i want to i can forget an episode so that when i watch it i will still be as interested in it as i was the first time i watched it.it's the same with me for books i have read the harry potter books more times than i can count but each time I read it I forget the plot details so that I can reread it.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Dec 2nd 2007, 2:58 PM
Post #125

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

A person cannot choose to forget information, the Human brain doesn't work like that. A memory will gradually fade over time but a person can't just erase it.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Dec 2nd 2007, 5:01 PM
Post #126

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Dec 2nd 2007, 2:58 PM) *

A person cannot choose to forget information, the Human brain doesn't work like that. A memory will gradually fade over time but a person can't just erase it.

There are repression techniques...
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Dec 2nd 2007, 5:33 PM
Post #127

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Revan @ Dec 2nd 2007, 10:01 PM) *

There are repression techniques...

Yeah but the it's repressed not forgotten. It can then be brought up later if the right stimulus is provided, it's more buried but not forgotten.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Dec 2nd 2007, 10:52 PM
Post #128

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Dec 2nd 2007, 5:33 PM) *

Yeah but the it's repressed not forgotten. It can then be brought up later if the right stimulus is provided, it's more buried but not forgotten.

I think the only way to eliminate a memory is to destroy the neurons that 'contain' it.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Dec 2nd 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #129

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Dec 3rd 2007, 5:52 AM) *

I think the only way to eliminate a memory is to destroy the neurons that 'contain' it.

Careful now. It is not the neurones that directly 'contain' memory, but the synapses between them. The stronger a synapse is (more proteins are stored in it), the longer the memory lasts in the brain. 1.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Dec 3rd 2007, 12:44 AM
Post #130

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Dec 2nd 2007, 11:30 PM) *

Careful now. It is not the neurones that directly 'contain' memory, but the synapses between them. The stronger a synapse is (more proteins are stored in it), the longer the memory lasts in the brain. 1.gif

I was trying to be simple. Its why I put a ' on either side of the word. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Dec 3rd 2007, 7:40 AM
Post #131

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Dec 2nd 2007, 11:33 PM) *

fine if you all wish to get very technical then (bloody hell you guy's must be the biggest nerds on the planet
and i've met trekkies)i repress the memory until i want too go over the information does that sound better!
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Dec 3rd 2007, 8:05 AM
Post #132

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Dec 3rd 2007, 12:40 PM) *

fine if you all wish to get very technical then (bloody hell you guy's must be the biggest nerds on the planet
and i've met trekkies)i repress the memory until i want too go over the information does that sound better!

Actually my point was in reference to Revans, not yours. And no you don't f*cking repress the memory you just don't think about it when watching the show!
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Dec 3rd 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #133

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

That fact that someone is smarter than another individual doesn't necessarily make that individual a nerd. Perhaps it makes the other individual an idiot.

When the team decides to keep a Wraith as a hostage, do they even consider the fact that it has to eat?
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Dec 3rd 2007, 1:01 PM
Post #134

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Dec 3rd 2007, 2:40 PM) *

Why thank you. It appears that talking about science has exhausted your small brain. You should lay down and rest now, we don't want to push you too hard. It might cause your IQ points to drop even further. 1.gif

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Dec 3rd 2007, 1:01 PM
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Dec 4th 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #135

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Dec 3rd 2007, 5:42 PM) *

That fact that someone is smarter than another individual doesn't necessarily make that individual a nerd. Perhaps it makes the other individual an idiot.

When the team decides to keep a Wraith as a hostage, do they even consider the fact that it has to eat?

actually that statement makes you rather concieted and arrogant.and killermarv i don't have a small brain i do understand a lot of
what is said in this forum even when it comes to the physics and quantum physics.

This post has been edited by lancelot2: Dec 4th 2007, 10:16 AM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Dec 4th 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #136

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

It's not arrogant or concieted to know that you are smarter than someone.

I hope that if they keep this Wraith around for a while, that they explore them more. Explain about family and what not. How long can they go between feeding if they are not hybernating and other things like that.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Dec 17th 2007, 9:28 PM
Post #137

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

Was anyone else surprised when it was the Wraith that suggested that they cloak the city? I got the impression that he knew more than what he was supposed to.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Dec 17th 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #138

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Dec 18th 2007, 2:28 AM) *

Was anyone else surprised when it was the Wraith that suggested that they cloak the city? I got the impression that he knew more than what he was supposed to.

Given that the Wraith generally know Atlantis wasn't destroyed after 'The Siege' I think they may have figured it out and known they could cloak it. And if the Wraith did find out through the Wraith that they saved off the planet where Atlantis had kept the ones turned human (where Michael was and was rescued off), then they too would know that Atlantis could cloak (They knew in 'Allies').
So it stands to reason really, you just have to look back a bit and make a couple of assumptions. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Dec 17th 2007, 10:08 PM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Dec 20th 2007, 5:06 PM
Post #139

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

He may not have known.

He may have guessed, and discovered he was correct.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 20th 2014 - 7:00 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.