post Nov 16th 2007, 7:12 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 4, Episode 8 - The Seer
Air date: November 16, 2007

While searching for her people, Teyla and the team meet a man who predicts a frightening future for Atlantis.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Nov 16th 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #2

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,304

I thought this was a great episode.

I have only a single complaint: I think it was a cop out of sorts to have a vision not come true, using the excuse that for all they knew it could happen a thousand years in the future. Then again, the scene at the end when Sheppard and Carter discuss it was slightly funny ("What else is new?).

Though I admit it may have added something to the episode towards the end, I think Woolsey was a pointless character.

I figured that Teyla would be pregnant, but I was hoping that we would find out who the father is, or maybe even some possibilities.

This post has been edited by Protoziggy90: Nov 16th 2007, 11:07 PM
+Quote Post
Sylver
post Nov 16th 2007, 11:15 PM
Post #3

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,115

Well, this wasn't bad. I really liked Teyla and Sam's part very pertant to their roles. Woosley was as annoyingly funny as always. However, they need a new story! The destruction of Atlantis is OLD. It's hard to go outside the box when it's a bottle show, but it can be done, and done well. There's no development, which I'm about sick of, and frankly they're dropping the ball on a bunch of interesting plots.

Ooh, they mentioned Elizabeth. For like a minute.

Ooh, they had a Wraith, and look! They destroyed each other. Actually, the fact that that Wraith Guy is now trapped on Atlantis might have potential. (The PTB will probably mess it up.)

They so messed up with Teyla's pregnancy.

What happened to Carter? She stepped into Elizabeth's monologue role and if it wasn't for the hair color change, I'd never know the difference. There's no McKay interaction, no jumping into things she clearly knows of, no offering advice, nothing! She has more experience with 'fate of the galaxy' than anyone on that base, and all she does is listen and nod? The PTB are no doubt trying not to step on 'original' Atlantis characters, but then why bother to introduce Carter at all? Face it, they brought her over to get SG1 fans to watch SGA, pure and simple.

The visions were a plot device that was interesting, but they didn't utilize the Seer Guy enough to fulfill the point.

This post has been edited by Sylver: Nov 16th 2007, 11:17 PM
+Quote Post
Reignfire
post Nov 16th 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #4

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,640

The episode was ok, I just have a few comments:
It wasn't surprising that the Asurans would eventually attack humans, that speculation has been around since 'Progeny'.

I was glad to see that Wraith comeback since he's the only one Atlantis was on somewhat good terms with, but what's with John not naming him? He could have been Dave or something. And did anyone else find that 'Shake hands' joke more annoying than funny?

I loved seeing John show off his basic math skills, "Two more planets have been wiped out, that makes three". 1.gif

Also, when the Seer was dying and Keller ran over to him, I was expecting him to grab her and share one last vision. Something that might be important to the current situation, but oh well.
+Quote Post
Natoma
post Nov 17th 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #5

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,888

From start to finish I was on the edge of my seat with this episode. Absolutely great. smile.gif

Sylver,

Carter's never directly been in charge of this many lives. You wouldn't be apprehensive in her situation? She's going from co-commanding a 5 person team to holding the fate of hundreds of expedition members, and millions of people in the Pegasus Galaxy.

If she stepped in as comfortable old Carter, I don't think that'd be believable at all. Give it time.

Reignfire,

I thought the wraith was hilarious. I love this character. smile.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 17th 2007, 2:08 AM
Post #6

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Protoziggy90 @ Nov 16th 2007, 11:06 PM) *

I figured that Teyla would be pregnant, but I was hoping that we would find out who the father is, or maybe even some possibilities.

We know who the father is, we just haven't met him. It's one of her people that she had known since she was a child, but had only recently developed a romantic relationship with. I personally believe this is the reason for her people disappearing... so that they don't have to introduce the father as a character, for now at least.

I enjoyed this episode. I thought it was funny, and exciting, without being action packed.

She Sam say she now she knew why Shep didn't want the job, or why Woolsey didn't want the job?

I liked the way Sam made Woosley come to the Wraith.

lol... just a little Wraith humor.laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 17th 2007, 2:46 AM
Post #7

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

Excellent episode, though I have to admit, my favorite part was the "wraith humor," I think. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 17th 2007, 3:05 AM
Post #8

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sylver @ Nov 16th 2007, 11:15 PM) *

Well, this wasn't bad. I really liked Teyla and Sam's part very pertant to their roles. Woosley was as annoyingly funny as always. However, they need a new story! The destruction of Atlantis is OLD. It's hard to go outside the box when it's a bottle show, but it can be done, and done well. There's no development, which I'm about sick of, and frankly they're dropping the ball on a bunch of interesting plots.

Everyone in the world thinks, "If they did this show exactly the way I want, it would be such a good show."

They so messed up with Teyla's pregnancy.

Yeah, what a stupid idea for TPTB to get one of their actors knocked up.

What happened to Carter? She stepped into Elizabeth's monologue role and if it wasn't for the hair color change, I'd never know the difference. There's no McKay interaction, no jumping into things she clearly knows of, no offering advice, nothing! She has more experience with 'fate of the galaxy' than anyone on that base, and all she does is listen and nod? The PTB are no doubt trying not to step on 'original' Atlantis characters, but then why bother to introduce Carter at all? Face it, they brought her over to get SG1 fans to watch SGA, pure and simple.
LOL, that is brilliant deductive reasoning. Who is not facing it?

The visions were a plot device that was interesting, but they didn't utilize the Seer Guy enough to fulfill the point.

What part of the point did they fail to fulfill?

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Nov 17th 2007, 3:06 AM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 17th 2007, 3:11 AM
Post #9

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 17th 2007, 2:08 AM) *

We know who the father is, we just haven't met him. It's one of her people that she had known since she was a child, but had only recently developed a romantic relationship with. I personally believe this is the reason for her people disappearing... so that they don't have to introduce the father as a character, for now at least.

I don't know if we can make that assumption, even thought TPTB are moving us in that direction.

Why wouldn't she tell people that he is the father, even though he is missing? Is it possible since they only recently began that sort of relationship, Canaan is not the father after all?
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Nov 17th 2007, 4:38 AM
Post #10

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

Excellent episode. I loved every moment, especially the Wraith humor bit. laugh.gif

1. It was interesting and true that Sam couldn't make an easy decision for so many people. I am glad the writers didn't forget that she should be like that at her first major decision.

2. The "friendly" Wraith character is just awesome, and now that they have him on base, it will be interesting to see how him and McKay get along. I see him as more interesting than Michael.

3. The Seer was indeed very useful for the story arc, so if anyone points out that he was misused or pointless, I think they're gravely mistaken.

4. If Teyla is pregnant, I must wonder... who in the Pegasus Galaxy is the father? rolleyes.gif

5. I really like Woolsey's character. They should use him more often, he really is a nice guy, but he has a problem with panic when things get out of hand.

Great episode, and I didn't even mention the re-use of Season 2's battle between 2 Wraith hive ships, because I didn't mind it. whistling.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 17th 2007, 5:04 AM
Post #11

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Nov 17th 2007, 4:38 AM) *

Great episode, and I didn't even mention the re-use of Season 2's battle between 2 Wraith hive ships, because I didn't mind it. whistling.gif

Plus it was very obvious. I recognized it as soon as I saw the Hive explode in the vision.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Nov 17th 2007, 6:58 AM
Post #12

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

I enjoyed this episode. I didn't see the recap, from the previous episode, so when a Wraith was mentioned, I immediately jumped to Michael is back. I love the Michael character. I think he's great. I also enjoyed this Wraith. He and Shep do have a history, and it worked.

Why, oh why are we being exposed to Keller week after week? I do not like this character and I'm tired of her being crammed down our throats.

I did enjoy the Seer and he was able to tell Teyla something about her people. When Keller showed Sam the Seer's brain, she said it appeared to be similar to what Mckay's brain was like when he was turning into an ascended being. They said that Mckay's brain was changing. Keller said the Seer was like that all the time. Does that mean that he was connected to the Ancients? Poor Mckay he is such a skeptic at times, isn't he?

I always enjoy seeing Woolsey. He does panic though at each turn. I thoroughly enjoyed Sam giving him a set down when it came to Shep and telling him to attack. Sam is and was the leader, not Woolsey.

I do like that Shep backs Sam up in her capacity as the new leader of Atlantis. Shep told Woolsey, it's not our decision to make.
+Quote Post
Sylver
post Nov 17th 2007, 9:50 AM
Post #13

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,115

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 17th 2007, 4:05 AM) *

Everyone in the world thinks, "If they did this show exactly the way I want, it would be such a good show."

If the show was exactly what I wanted, I'd be doing the writing. My point is that there's literally a galaxy of opportunities to be explored, and they're doing the same storylines over and over. As I type this, I realize SG1 had the same concept, yet I lasted through 10 years of that (and of course they had bad episodes, all shows do) and enjoyed each season.

Yeah, what a stupid idea for TPTB to get one of their actors knocked up.

Yes, clearly that's what I mean. rolleyes.gif With the list of possibilities her storyline presented, including ignoring it as they did AT's in SG1, the mysterious Athosian who's conveniently missing plot is among the top 3 in bad ideas.

LOL, that is brilliant deductive reasoning. Who is not facing it?

Snarkiness is always fun but in all that, that's what you commented on? Natoma said: Sylver, Carter's never directly been in charge of this many lives. You wouldn't be apprehensive in her situation? She's going from co-commanding a 5 person team to holding the fate of hundreds of expedition members, and millions of people in the Pegasus Galaxy. If she stepped in as comfortable old Carter, I don't think that'd be believable at all. Give it time.

Makes a lot of sense. I agree with it, and did last night when I wrote my original post. The thing that gets me is that they're still treating her like an Elizabeth clone when they could be developing her. Hell, they've devoted quite some time to Keller, granted a new character, but with Carter this is a new situation, plenty of room for something there.

What part of the point did they fail to fulfill?

They used him to promote the Wraith plot. I'm not against it, the Wraith Guy (Wraith humor and all) is almost as interesting as Michael, and I can't wait to see what they do next, now that he's stuck there. What I'm against is the fact that they didn't need the Seer to do any of it. It's nice for Teyla to have that bit of information, but I feel like I'm left hanging.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 17th 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #14

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Nov 17th 2007, 6:58 AM) *

Why, oh why are we being exposed to Keller week after week? I do not like this character and I'm tired of her being crammed down our throats.
In the previous ep she was crammed down your throat, in this ep, she wasn't shown any more than Beckett would have been, given the situation. It starting to seem like you start complaining about her when her name shows up in the credits. It's become clear that you don't like her, you say it whenever she is mentioned or on screen.

I always enjoy seeing Woolsey. He does panic though at each turn. I thoroughly enjoyed Sam giving him a set down when it came to Shep and telling him to attack. Sam is and was the leader, not Woolsey.

I do like that Shep backs Sam up in her capacity as the new leader of Atlantis. Shep told Woolsey, it's not our decision to make.

Yes, I was wondering how Shep was going to handle the situation. Whether he was going to take the military superior route, or just the I don't like Woolsey route.

QUOTE(Sylver @ Nov 17th 2007, 9:50 AM) *

Snarkiness is always fun but in all that, that's what you commented on? Natoma said: Sylver, Carter's never directly been in charge of this many lives. You wouldn't be apprehensive in her situation? She's going from co-commanding a 5 person team to holding the fate of hundreds of expedition members, and millions of people in the Pegasus Galaxy. If she stepped in as comfortable old Carter, I don't think that'd be believable at all. Give it time.

Carter was directly in charge of a few people at a time, but her decisions have had ramifications for the entire MW galaxy for ten years, including the MW in AUs. She was second or third in command at the SGC for most of her time there. And, She did show apprehension. She and Sheppard had talks about her wondering what to do.

Makes a lot of sense. I agree with it, and did last night when I wrote my original post. The thing that gets me is that they're still treating her like an Elizabeth clone when they could be developing her. Hell, they've devoted quite some time to Keller, granted a new character, but with Carter this is a new situation, plenty of room for something there.

I will repeat what myself and others have said time and time and time again. While the episodes we've seen so far were being filmed, Amanda Tapping was busy filming the two SG1 movies they were doing. Now that those are over we should see a lot more of her on Atlantis.

They used him to promote the Wraith plot. I'm not against it, the Wraith Guy (Wraith humor and all) is almost as interesting as Michael, and I can't wait to see what they do next, now that he's stuck there. What I'm against is the fact that they didn't need the Seer to do any of it. It's nice for Teyla to have that bit of information, but I feel like I'm left hanging.
You said that they didn't use him to fulfill the point. I am curious what you were talking about.

QUOTE(Revan @ Nov 17th 2007, 3:11 AM) *

I don't know if we can make that assumption, even thought TPTB are moving us in that direction.

Why wouldn't she tell people that he is the father, even though he is missing? Is it possible since they only recently began that sort of relationship, Canaan is not the father after all?

For the same reason that women in real life don't say when they're pregnant right away, even when the father is their husband.

I like the way the seer told Carter that the visions are free to be interpreted how they interpreted.

EDIT: Perhaps this is the Asuran behavior that the Ancients thought was too agressive, and the reason why they destroyed them in the first place. They went after the humans in the galaxy. This makes me wonder why the Ancients put in a safeguard against themselve, but not against other humans.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Nov 17th 2007, 12:45 PM
+Quote Post
graba
post Nov 17th 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #15

Airman Basic

Member No.: 10,474

someone wrote this and this system is terroble to comment someone reply

the vision was great it didnt mention in what desision u make to happend this... it only showed u what will happend when u shoose the wrong one

was good episode i realy like it ... i was sg1 fan and i am atlantis fan from begingning and if there will be third show of stargate i will be that fan to in next year tongue.gif

but i realy hate carter in atlantis sorry she loved to work with technology and was hard to get her away from new technologie and find solutions with them now he just thinks like a leader and walks around in base no fun with that .. it was like life time work for her to do it forever and she just quits to be a base leader in a nother galaxy and sit back do nothing with tech just give out orders thats sucks

i tough if she comed in the show she will be like working like sg1 but back with rodney .. was good with him and funny but now we c them like to people who cant watch eye to eye

the best part is that she understand all tactics and technology and have a lot expiriance with fighting bad guys
but in that show she is now like background charecter who say few words in ep and c her few clips it's just pointless to me why not but some new face on the big shear exept her then it would be better to c new face what we have not seen in action of what he/she can do but in her case we know what she can do but TPTB dont show it out and they only show the boring side out

This post has been edited by graba: Nov 17th 2007, 12:55 PM
+Quote Post
seymour
post Nov 17th 2007, 5:05 PM
Post #16

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,394

QUOTE(Sylver @ Nov 16th 2007, 11:15 PM) *

........What happened to Carter? She stepped into Elizabeth's monologue role and if it wasn't for the hair color change, I'd never know the difference. There's no McKay interaction, no jumping into things she clearly knows of, no offering advice, nothing! She has more experience with 'fate of the galaxy' than anyone on that base, and all she does is listen and nod? The PTB are no doubt trying not to step on 'original' Atlantis characters, but then why bother to introduce Carter at all? Face it, they brought her over to get SG1 fans to watch SGA, pure and simple.......

Almost as if Carter's lines in S4 were written originally for Weir, then she got the surprise axe, and now Carter simply reads Weir's original lines!

However, Keller is not simply reading lines originally written for Carson. How many epsiodes before she gets "star" billing?

I do love a "Woolsey" episode!

"just a little Wraith humor" - Who knew? I'm warming to these bad guys. Replicators have NO sense if humor.
+Quote Post
dr lee
post Nov 17th 2007, 6:07 PM
Post #17

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,109

Wow is it me or are the episodes better this year than before?

Loved the wraith hand joke laugh.gif

I ge the impression by the way the other visions played out that Carters one of an ancient cityship being destroyed is not as simple as one aruora ship smashing Atlantis to bits.

I also get the impression that the scene will be played out in either the mid-seaosn 2-parter or in 'The Last Man', though after seeing a trailer for 'Mortal Coil' i suspect it's the midseason 2-parter.

When the ehll is Teyla going to tell the others about her baby? Is she worried she will be removed from the team and unable to search for her fellow athosians if she tells?

EDIT-

Out of interest did anyone take notice of the pictures behind Sam in her office? I defo saw Cassie MKII and maybe Daniel in a Tux but could anyone esle make out what was in the other picture frames?

This post has been edited by dr lee: Nov 17th 2007, 7:02 PM
+Quote Post
jrv
post Nov 18th 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #18

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,167

I think these episodes suck and I'm officially bailing on the show.

-The Samantha Carter character has been reduced to nothing. We are already 8 episodes deep and she has been completely pointless. Not a way to remember such a character.

-Dr. Keller sucks.

-The trailer for this episode was a trick to make us think that something interesting would happen on Atlantis. In the end it was just a vision that may never even come true.

-Most of these episodes are stand alone so far.

I'm done watching Stargate Atlantis. I look forward to the 2 Stargate films.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 18th 2007, 2:19 AM
Post #19

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

yeah, nothing happened, They didn't get a Wraith prisoner, and confirm that Teyla is pregnant, and they didn't discover that the Asurans are attacking humans and that they need to rewrite the virus and upload it again to stop them some time in the furture. Do you pay attention to the show at all. Every week you say that the plot wasn't advanced and you threaten to stop watching, and every next week it's the same thing over again. I hope you keep your promise and just bail... dry.gif
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Nov 18th 2007, 2:42 AM
Post #20

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(jrv @ Nov 18th 2007, 4:08 PM) *

Woop...oh you're still talking. Damn. Last time I have to highlight just how stupid the things you say are.
-The Samantha Carter character has been reduced to nothing. We are already 8 episodes deep and she has been completely pointless. Not a way to remember such a character.
She's the leader, she's leading. That's what leaders do. She did that quite well in this ep IMO. Watching her holding her own against Woolsey was great. She's even gone off-world as part of a combat situaution, pretty much the same as she did with SG-1. I'm not sure what else she should be doing really.

-Dr. Keller sucks.
Because it has been pronounced so by you? If you ccan't even back up your opinion with reasons, why even bother mentioning it? Like Sam's role, Keller is the doctor, she's doing doctor things. The only ep her appearance shouldn't have happened was last week in Missing

-The trailer for this episode was a trick to make us think that something interesting would happen on Atlantis. In the end it was just a vision that may never even come true.
Oh noes you was tricked by a Sci-Fi trailer!!! What the hell does the contents of the trailer have to do with judgement of the ep? You should judge the ep on the ep, not the trailer.

As for nothing interesting happening...I suppose having a Wraith play sleep-over with McKay due to two hive ships blowing up over Atlantis isn't interesting at all.
And look at the vision from another angle: it might come true too. Why the heck are you judging things on stuff that might happen?

Yeah, that's bullsh*t. This episode tied about 3 different plot threads together (The Wraith from Common Ground , the main Asuran arc, and Teyla's arc that started last week). Arcs in other episodes have been pointed out to you constantly. If it wasn't for the fact that you're actually posting on this board I'd wonder at your ability to understand English, because you sure as hell arent listening to anything we say, or any of the dialogue on the show.

Awesome, good riddance. I just hope you mean it this time. Although I'd rather you didn't watch the SG-1 films, watching you come up with idiotic reasons to hate them may end up driving me to self-harm.

EDIT: JT got in before I did. Agree with him 100%! JRV just stay away.

This post has been edited by Rogue Ashrak: Nov 18th 2007, 2:47 AM
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Nov 18th 2007, 3:03 AM
Post #21

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

[cycle]

QUOTE(jrv @ Nov 18th 2007, 7:08 AM) *

And we care about this because...

The Samantha Carter character has been evolved and put in front of leading an entire city in another galaxy. Are you sure you're not watching another show?

-Dr. Keller sucks.

That is a relative opinion. Sucks at what? Bridge, poker, monopoly?

Yes, I can see the trailer was part of the conspiracy to get us to see Atlantis and mind control us into doing their will.

Like JT and Rogue said... The plot was advanced greatly since the beginning. So, the words "stand alone" don't make any sense.

And we care about this because...

[/cycle]
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 18th 2007, 3:15 AM
Post #22

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Nov 18th 2007, 2:42 AM) *

EDIT: JT got in before I did. Agree with him 100%! JRV just stay away.

But you were so much more thorough than I... 1.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 18th 2007, 3:40 AM
Post #23

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(jrv @ Nov 18th 2007, 12:08 AM) *

-Dr. Keller sucks.

Hmmm... dry.gif

As long as that means we will no longer be exposed to your posting.

Carter is much different now than she was during SG-1. She is filling Weir's role, it is not surprising that she would be faced with similar circumstances and act in a similar manner. The fact that she is making decisions, alone invalidates your statement.

She is an interesting character and I am curious to know what TPTB are going to do with her. I want to see more of her, despite her incessant whining in Missing. All she did in this episode was be a doctor... what more do you expect?

In my opinion, something interesting did happen. As has been said, the trailer is irrelevent. I recall seeing a shot of Atlantis in the middle of a desert... Trailers are often misleading, their intent is to create interest. I cannot say I am disappointed, the trailer did its job.

To recap: This episode included....
The Hotzone virus, possibly created by the Asurans.
The Wraith's attempt to re-upload their virus seen in Reunion.
Rodney's alteration of the Asuran programming in Lifeline.
The Wraith from Common Ground.
The new fact that Asurans are slaughtering humans.
We learned that Teyla is, in fact, pregnant.
We learned that they have been searching for the Athosians without success.
We learned that the Athosians are alive at the moment.
Two Hives were destroyed.
We have a new Wraith prisoner.
The Wraith have an odd sense of humor.
We gained intelligence on the status of the Wraith-Replicator war.

Need I go on?

Just make sure you don't whine about them anywhere I can see.
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Nov 18th 2007, 10:01 AM
Post #24

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

Mmm.. not particularily imaginative and slightly preachy but I liked it. Could have been better without Davos, actually, but, oh well.

And! Wraith humour! Ha! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 18th 2014 - 6:28 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.