post Nov 9th 2007, 7:04 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 4, Episode 7 - Missing
Air date: November 9, 2007

Teyla and Dr. Keller arrive on New Athos and discover that the entire settlement has been abandoned.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Nov 9th 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #2

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,304

Okay, so I give this episode a 3/5.

I like that TPTB finally gave us a Telya episode, but it was pretty weak. On the other hand, I liked seeing Keller outside of Atlantis (even if she would have never survived on her own).

I think the best line of the episode was Ronin: "What the hell are you talking about?!"

Teyla got knocked out 3 times in 1 episode... okay...

Teyla also seemed pissed off the entire time. I would be if I were in her situation, but it was so out of character for her.

As soon as it was said that the Athosians were dead I knew they would turn up alive by the end, it was so predictable.

I love how the bad guys were basically above-average intelligence cavemen. Almost reminded me of the Unas.

I thought the last line with Teyla and Keller in the infirmary was interesting. I haven't been reading spoliers this year so I'm interested to find out what happens, though I have some ideas already...
» Click to Show Spoiler «

Anyways, the episode had a couple of good moments, but not a fantastic episode by far...

This post has been edited by Protoziggy90: Nov 9th 2007, 11:06 PM
+Quote Post
Arcady
post Nov 10th 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #3

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(Protoziggy90 @ Nov 9th 2007, 10:02 PM) *

Okay, so I give this episode a 3/5.

Until you actually click on the "rating" button at the upper right, you really didn't give it anything.
+Quote Post
NewbieSGfan
post Nov 10th 2007, 2:04 AM
Post #4

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,631

I just finished watching the episode. Hrm. Decent. I liked it a lot better than last week's episode, but that may be because I'm partial to the whole survival type genre.

I thought the (I'm not going to even attempt to spell out the tribe name because 1. I can't spell and 2. my hearing sucks and I couldn't make out the name clearly enough) primitive tribe was sort of dismissed at the end. For 3/4 of the episode they were my main focus. A leader was even created and introduced into the show. Then the show has them all running off to the stargate, get shot and killed, and.. that's it. I don't know. Maybe I'm just picky, but I thought their time ended too soon.

But Rodney's "arrows" yelping comment at the end fixed everything for me. Joy.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 10th 2007, 2:06 AM
Post #5

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

LOL Arcady.

Isn't she a military doctor? She had no training at all. Mckay carries two weapons, and if Since when do people go offworld unarmed, without even their basic vest? She didn't sign up to be chief of medicine... she didn't even want to be chief of medicine. Those are the tings that jumped out at me the first time around.

The Mckay yell, "Not arrows" was hilarious.

I don't know if I liked this episode. I will watch it again and then decide.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 10th 2007, 2:55 AM
Post #6

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

I liked this episode.

I understand Teyla's point of view. Though if I were in her position, I would have either killed the Wraith-worshipper or left him to die in the beginning.

I honestly wanted to bitch-slap Keller up until she tackled that guy. I can't understand how both of them were so gullible to fall for Nabel's lies... seriously... they should know better, especially Teyla.

I was surprised to see Danny Trejo in this, and he had such a tiny little part. Are the Bolachi going to be back at some point?

So, Kanaan the mystery man... I wonder what will come of that relationship? To this point, I hadn't really thought of Teyla being sexually active at all, but I guess its possible. smile.gif

And this, children, is why we never leave our planet without one or two guns... Teyla did kick ass though... hell yeah!

Loved McKay's arrow phobia...

EDIT: You know something is wonky when a conversation starts with "we need to talk."

EDIT2:

Paraphrasing:

Teyla: "I do not have a concussion."
Keller: "You're right, you don't. I've gone over your test results... There's something we need to talk about."
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Nov 10th 2007, 3:59 AM
Post #7

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

This may have been a Teyla episode, but for me it was too little, too late. They have wasted almost 4 1/2 years before making an attempt to develop this character. The only reason that they did is I'm sure because
» Click to Show Spoiler «

Why in the world Teyla and Keller believed that Nabel, I'll never understand. It was quite obvious to me from the get-go that you couldn't trust him.

I'm still not liking JS as Keller. I have said numerous times having a new character on 24/7 is not the way to endear that character to me. They need to gradually introduce her, not cramming her down our throats.

I did like the fighting that Teyla did though. That was well orchestrated.

I also found Shep and McKay talking about characters from the Batman tv series very funny. smile.gif

Edit: I forgot, when did the Athosians catch up to Atlantis? I remember them being on the mainland of Atlantis. When Atlantis flew away, did they take the mainland with them? Or did Teyla use the gate bridge to travel back to where they were?

This post has been edited by IndyJan: Nov 10th 2007, 4:03 AM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 10th 2007, 4:14 AM
Post #8

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Nov 10th 2007, 3:59 AM) *

I'm still not liking JS as Keller. I have said numerous times having a new character on 24/7 is not the way to endear that character to me. They need to gradually introduce her, not cramming her down our throats.

I think that the lack of Carter is the reason for the abundance of Keller.

Edit: I forgot, when did the Athosians catch up to Atlantis? I remember them being on the mainland of Atlantis. When Atlantis flew away, did they take the mainland with them? Or did Teyla use the gate bridge to travel back to where they were?

During 'The Return', the Athosians left Atlantis, and they never returned. During 'The Return Part 2', the team gates to the new Athosian planet, where Teyla and Ronan are helping them build up the village. That's the last time they really deal with them, until this ep.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Nov 10th 2007, 5:12 AM
Post #9

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

I cannae believe it... A Teyla centered episode. And might I say, a pretty good one too. 1.gif

I think exploring a little more about Dr Keller should have been in order, but they shared a pretty fair amount of information. Her "Survivor" line was great, I would have expected Teyla to say: "Now don't say 'ka' til you tried it." whistling.gif

Heh, McKay is awesome: "Define primitive." "Clubs and arrows." "Arrows can hurt." Clearly he hates arrows after that ass-cident. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 10th 2007, 5:12 AM
Post #10

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

The Athosians weren't on Lantea anymore, or there would have been extensive problems.

I bet TPTB planned it that way, because they didn't want to kill off the Athosians.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Nov 10th 2007, 5:14 AM
Post #11

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(Revan @ Nov 10th 2007, 12:12 PM) *

The Athosians weren't on Lantea anymore, or there would have been extensive problems.

I bet TPTB planned it that way, because they didn't want to kill off the Athosians.

It seems to me that they also planned this to bring Teyla a better purpose. The Athosians missing and Teyla wanting revenge and to get them back is a good story arc if you ask me. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 10th 2007, 5:29 AM
Post #12

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Nov 10th 2007, 5:14 AM) *

It seems to me that they also planned this to bring Teyla a better purpose. The Athosians missing and Teyla wanting revenge and to get them back is a good story arc if you ask me. biggrin.gif

Well she wasn't short on rage during the episode, just patience.
+Quote Post
Raxor
post Nov 10th 2007, 9:57 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 174

I didnt mind this episode too bad **, could have been a lot better.
Where did it ever say that Keller was a military doctor - i kind of missed that if it was revealed.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 10th 2007, 10:33 AM
Post #14

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

Well at the start I wasn't really liking it THAT much, but it got better as it went along. And left a lot of unanswered questions (which is a good thing imo)
  • What did happen to the Athosians? I still do not believe we know fully, I would not be suprised if the Wraith hadn't been there yet and that mystery man had some other agenda. It just seemed like we weren't in on all the information. I hope we see him again, it was set up quite nicely that we will hopefully. And would be a good arc development.
  • The ending, cruel biggrin.gif Yeah I know about RL in real life but I was still hoping they'd say something more conclusive here, will the next episode start off fairly close to this one then? (Hope so (Oh and I also don't want to know the answer of that until next week)).
  • Why were the tribe people (again, can't remember their names) there so soon after the Wraith had supposedly attacked them, that wasn't resolved either.

Also liked hearing about Teyla's relationship, and how it was announced. It's good to hear these characters have these relationships which we don't have to know on screen all the time, and she seemed to really care about him the way that she was talking about him, but in a subtle way. I felt that was really well acted on her part.

But yeah, Keller was slightly annoying in this episode but it's the first time I've felt it. Her development helped though and you sensed she'd do it, I do like her character though. And am in favour of seeing her a lot. Carter wasn't in the episode didn't realise straight away smile.gif But she was filming the films at this point so we're likely to see less of her in the next few episodes. But again it didn't feel like she needed to be there for it. So it worked quite well.

But overall, quite a good episode, developed and opened stories very well imo. If every question had been answered by episodes end I probably would have given it a lower score, and was part of what made it seem more significant. Was a good episode, 8/10.
+Quote Post
stalker0
post Nov 10th 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #15

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,718

When Keller said, "Yeah, well first I need something to heal" and shot the guy, I started warming up to her:)

I liked Teyla's quiet and then not so quiet rage throughout the episode. She was always in control, but I kept feeling so could snap at any moment.

Not my favorite episode, but it was good to see some Teyla development.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 10th 2007, 12:33 PM
Post #16

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Raxor @ Nov 10th 2007, 9:57 AM) *

I didnt mind this episode too bad **, could have been a lot better.
Where did it ever say that Keller was a military doctor - i kind of missed that if it was revealed.

Janet was a military officer, but Lam, Beckett and Keller aren't.
+Quote Post
Raxor
post Nov 10th 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 174

Thats what i thought. During this episode i thought she was like a female version of Mckay but not as smart...
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 10th 2007, 1:00 PM
Post #18

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Raxor @ Nov 10th 2007, 12:50 PM) *

Thats what i thought. During this episode i thought she was like a female version of Mckay but not as smart...

Yeah, I dont know why I thought that originally. Perhaps I was thinking of Fraizer. But still, given how dangerous her job is, don't we think she should have had some weapons training, like Mckay has obviously had?

Wouldn't Lam have to be a military doctor to be the head of medicince at the SGC?

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Nov 10th 2007, 1:01 PM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 10th 2007, 1:16 PM
Post #19

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 10th 2007, 1:00 PM) *

Wouldn't Lam have to be a military doctor to be the head of medicince at the SGC?

Well not necessarily.

Her father is the General, and we have seen that the SGC does have civilians around.
+Quote Post
jacksworld
post Nov 10th 2007, 2:32 PM
Post #20

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,030

I know teyla was pissed becuase of the disappearance of her people, but i thought this episode showed a darker side of her that you dont normally see which, is proabably why it seemd out of character of her to some people. Then again, maybe it is just me but does this season seem to come off a bit darker than previous seasons?

This post has been edited by jacksworld: Nov 10th 2007, 2:33 PM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 10th 2007, 2:40 PM
Post #21

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(jacksworld @ Nov 10th 2007, 2:32 PM) *

I know teyla was pissed becuase of the disappearance of her people, but i thought this episode showed a darker side of her that you dont normally see which, is proabably why it seemd out of character of her to some people. Then again, maybe it is just me but does this season seem to come off a bit darker than previous seasons?

Perhaps they will relate her grumpiness to whatever Keller tells her...
+Quote Post
BigusDickus
post Nov 10th 2007, 2:52 PM
Post #22

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,661

This ep didnt do it for me at all, And ive loved every episode so far sad.gif
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 10th 2007, 2:53 PM
Post #23

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

I just thought her darker side was because of the situation she knew she was in, she knew she had to do what she did to survive. I just think the situation is darker then a lot of situations we've seen her in before.
+Quote Post
Hal 9000i
post Nov 10th 2007, 3:39 PM
Post #24

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,894

I liked this episode.

I also don't see it as a "Teyla" episode. To me, it was more of a shared episode with the focus on Keller.

It's brought home to Keller that being a member of the Atlantis expedition is more than just practicing medicine within the generally safe Atlantis medical center.

This episode really introduces us to the character and allows us to witness a bit of growth as she goes on her first real "off world" mission in the Pegasus galaxy.

And let's not forget about the "babe factor".

Weir as played by TH was a little hit and miss-- too thin in the early seasons and unremarkable in the later seasons.

Teyla was the main "eye candy" for the guys, but TPTB on the show have taken her on the noble female warrior route-- so these days you usually don't see her in anything too revealing-- not even a tight top. Plus she's pregnant.

What to do? well, you bring in Jewel Staite and Amanda Tapping. However, AT is not in every episode plus she's getting slightly long in the tooth.

JS, on the other hand, is 25 and fills out her tight uniform pants in a noteworthy way.

So I believe the JS character is the new "babe in residence" female eye candy character to balance out JF and JM. JMHO.

Hal

This post has been edited by Hal 9000i: Nov 10th 2007, 11:20 PM
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 20th 2014 - 5:47 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.