post Oct 26th 2007, 7:09 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 4, Episode 6 - Tabula Rasa
Air date: November 2, 2007

After a virus infects nearly everyone in Atlantis, McKay discovers cryptic letters and has no recollection of his identity.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Reignfire
post Nov 2nd 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #2

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,640

This episode was actually a lot better than I had expected. It did remind me of other shows/movies:
The openning with Rodney's video to himself reminded me of the Doctor Who episode 'Blink'.
Both Rodney writing on himself the the timeshifts reminded me of the movie 'Memento'.

The part I wasn't expecting was the explanation of the bacteria mutating over time. I figured it was going to be that Humans from the Milky Way galaxy simply didn't have the partial immunity that the Humans of the Pegasus galaxy had.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 3rd 2007, 2:00 AM
Post #3

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

I really liked this ep. I was definitly entertained, and suprised at how interesting it was. The begining was even kind of creepy.

Teyla was really showing, I wonder how they are going to handle it.
+Quote Post
hobo_joe20
post Nov 3rd 2007, 2:30 AM
Post #4

Brigadier General
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,055

It's Tabula Rasa a game coming out shortly? Sorry to kinda throw this a little off-topic, but I really am interested to know what the name actually means and how it applies to this episode.
+Quote Post
LyaOfTheNox
post Nov 3rd 2007, 3:19 AM
Post #5

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,835

Squee! I *really* liked this episode biggrin.gif Deffinetly buying this on iTunes tomarrow biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Reignfire @ Nov 2nd 2007, 7:18 PM) *

This episode was actually a lot better than I had expected. It did remind me of other shows/movies:
The openning with Rodney's video to himself reminded me of the Doctor Who episode 'Blink'.

I totally agree; I was thinking this too! After the teaser, I yelled "Don't blink!" and my dad looked at me weird....... laugh.gif The whole episode kinda felt like "Blink," with the whole creepyness of it.

Did anyone else want to huggle Radek? He looked so scared, lost in the hallways sad.gif

I liked the Rodney/Katie bits, too, and I'm a McShepper tongue.gif But they looked so cute together I just couldn't get mad. A sweet Ronon/Keller bit too; I'm starting to really like that paring. smile.gif
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Nov 3rd 2007, 3:49 AM
Post #6

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

Even though this was kind of a been there, done that episode, I was pleasantly surprised by it.

The beginning was very much "Blink," from Doctor Who. I hadn't thought of Memento, but yes it was a reminder of that.

I thought it was very smart of Shep to have a picture taken and given to Lorne, just in case.

I was surprised that it was a disease that the people in the Pegasus Galaxy suffered as a child. At first, I thought they were going to tie it into Teyla because of her Wraith DNA, but then Ronon was also immune.

From this it was obvious that Rodney and Katie had a relationship. Rodney staying with her was a nice touch.

As far as Dr. Keller, I'm still not liking JS in the part. In fact, I'm starting to get very irritated with it. She seems to be on all the time. It appears to me as if they are trying to cram her down our throats, telling us to get over Beckett. When I watch a show and they introduce a new character, I don't want them on 24/7. They need to gradually work that person into the scheme of things.

On SG1 they showed the team talking to SGC at times. I would like to see Atlantis actually doing that once in awhile, and not just saying that they did. I realize that they are trying to show that Atlantis is cut off, but if that is the case, then cut them off. Don't feed us crumbs by saying we spoke to SGC, actually show Atlantis doing that. I realize that they don't want to spend the bucks for Beau Bridges or RDA, but they could show Walter at the controls, transferring messages back and forth.

+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Nov 3rd 2007, 4:21 AM
Post #7

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

I definitely liked this episode. I didn't see the movie Memento, but I saw a trailer to it once, and there was something in this episode reminding me of it somehow.

The scene sequence was kind of entertaining. They made sure that they keep the audience connected to the episode curious of what has caused the memory losses and how. I liked the Sheppard episode of the season, but I liked the Rodney episode of the season a little more. Nice to see they found a good use to both Teyla and Ronon for this episode.

To Reignfire... The humans would have been affected by the bacteria anyway, because they didn't have the immunity the locals of the galaxy had. The mutations over time caused it to affect the memory, a symptom Teyla's and Ronon's people didn't have when they were kids. smile.gif

Great to see more on McKay's developing love life. rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
Remco
post Nov 3rd 2007, 6:07 AM
Post #8

Airman Basic

Member No.: 3,269

This was a nice episode indeed. If the rest of the season will be as good as the past few episodes, then this will be the best atlantis season so far in my opinion!

This post has been edited by Remco: Nov 3rd 2007, 6:07 AM
+Quote Post
dr lee
post Nov 3rd 2007, 7:55 AM
Post #9

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,109

So as someone who's never seen AOTS, which dr was the AOTS cameo guy playing?

I agree JTMAG, i too saw a larger RL than usual in the epi. The epi that explains it all is either next week or the week after so there isnt loing till they explain her shape changing.

Nice touches with the Dr Who 'Blink' and 'Memento' nods. I thought that the teaser before the credits was one of the best SGA has done, imho

Katie/Rodney- Interesting to see the amount of concern Rodney showed for her.
» Click to Show Spoiler «

Nice touch with the way Carter tok charge with the breakout, that was something they could have easily missed out on doing 9And would have poured fuel on the anti-Carter thinkers) And Radek....

Poor Lorne, first showing this season he 'dreams' shep as a replicator and gets shot by ronon, Now in this one he looses his memory while hyped up on stimulents.....

Loved the way they kept Shep and Ronon out of the 'present' timeline until the end, It had me wondering where the F**K he was during the situation.

Over all i'd give this a 9/10
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 3rd 2007, 10:15 AM
Post #10

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

Great episode!

I could definitely see the RL body-doubles, though it is necessary since she (is/was?) pregnant. Teyla and John seem to be getting closer. Are TPTB trying to hint at something there, or am I seeing what I want to see?

I liked the time-shifting, it was a great touch, a good way to pay homage to Memento, though Memento was a a lot darker in tone.

I wasn't sure if Lorne had a picture of Ronon or Sheppard in his pocket, and I wasn't expecting the picture at all, which I like.

At the end, I was so afraid Katie was going to be dead... I wouldn't have liked that, even though we would have seen a completely different McKay. We saw glimpses of his humanity when he was with her in the infirmary, and I was very pleased with that.

Perhaps TPTB are feeling shippy, which isn't a bad thing really. I am interested to know who they ultimately intend to pair. That sort of thing can introduce very interesting dynamics into all of the characters' relationships.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 3rd 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #11

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

Well, adding to the 100% positive record on this one. I thought this was a fantastic episode, probably the best of the season which has been a good season.
The opening tease was probably the best that Atlantis has done so far, very unnerving but in a way that could possibly make you watch the entire episode to see what happened rather then it being enough to keep you around past the opening credits, which is what they usually do.

But the episode I felt was very well done, good to see all the characters used well and used a lot. And good to see Katie Brown in it as well, I do like their relationship because it's a more realistic relationship and you can see that Rodney cares about her and it, and he would be devestated at the end had she not survived (which I thought they weren't going to make her). And I didn't want her to go, but it would have been very touching if she had. But am glad she's still around.

Keller, again I do really like her. I think she's a really good character and I do think JS suits the role very well. But I like the fact that we're seeing a lot of her, it's really cementing her role as a character and in the show. If she was only in it a bit to introduce her slowly I just feel that the audience would think of her more as a sub character (like that doctor who was in this episode briefly and helped Carson during the opperation during Sunday). But for her to feel like a main character I think she needs to be in it this much and I really like her in it. Definately glad they brought the character and I think the actress really suits the character

The tone of the episode I also felt good and it's good that they go for different feels cinematically, the opening tease reminded me of quite a 1984 feel. That you are alone, you are in a dark world where eveyone's out to get you and you can't trust anyone but yourself. I felt it was very well done.

The memento reference I only thought about once they got out the photo with the text on it, as that's EXACTLY what they did in memento, but the overall story and way of telling wasn't like memento so it was fine. Just more a nod to it. I never thought about the Doc Who episode either but thinking over it is similar in that way, but different enough.

But yay, good quality episode!

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Nov 3rd 2007, 11:00 AM
+Quote Post
Th?t
post Nov 3rd 2007, 11:15 AM
Post #12

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,698

QUOTE(hobo_joe20 @ Nov 3rd 2007, 3:30 AM) *

It's Tabula Rasa a game coming out shortly? Sorry to kinda throw this a little off-topic, but I really am interested to know what the name actually means and how it applies to this episode.

Tabula Rasa means "blank slate". It's usually used in relation to John Locke's philosophy that all knowledge, morals, etc. come from experience. The mind is a blank slate at birth on which the environment writes. In the case of this episode, of course, it's more of a swiped clean slate tongue.gif

Regarding your other question, I do believe there's a game named tabula rasa planned to come out this year. Dunno what it's about though, but I definitly remember reading something about it.

Thôt
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 3rd 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #13

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

I have one problem with the picture. Shep was smart enough to have a picture of himself taken, but why not (since they had a polaroid) take a picture of Ronan too, and avoid the whole who the hell are you situation on the mainland.
+Quote Post
BigusDickus
post Nov 3rd 2007, 1:15 PM
Post #14

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,661

Coooool episode, very entertaining and creepy.
+Quote Post
ancient01
post Nov 3rd 2007, 5:17 PM
Post #15

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,239

I have to agree with everyone else on this one. I enjoyed it. I thought it was a well constructed episode. I typically hate sci fi stories that put characters together, but I like seeing Rodney with Katie. At least they aren't two major characters together.
+Quote Post
Joda
post Nov 3rd 2007, 7:24 PM
Post #16

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,542

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 3rd 2007, 1:37 PM) *

I have one problem with the picture. Shep was smart enough to have a picture of himself taken, but why not (since they had a polaroid) take a picture of Ronan too, and avoid the whole who the hell are you situation on the mainland.

Cause then we wouldn't have seen Ronan be all ... well, not quite heartfelt... but pretty close... for him anyway.

Awesome episode! I agree on the 'best of the season so far' vote. I remember Momento (get it?) but I never saw the Dr. Who episode... or any of them for that matter, but I digress. I felt this was a nice homage to Momento, the opening teaser gave me shivers... could've been the open door, but I don't know. How awesome is it that Pegasus' version of the Chicken Pox pretty much devestated Atlantis? I thought the best part ever was the three smartest people in the city staring at the computer screen like idiots trying to figure out how to deseminate the cure, ultimate irony. I remember reading that TPTB wanted to give McKay a kid this year, it's nice to see TPTB are still giving thought to that line of thinking with the McKay/Brown relationship. I wonder though if the writers are just setting Shep up to get knocked down (get that?). Him and Teyla are getting close, but I don't know...

Anyway, I can't remember it all, I'll watch again when I get home from work, but;

+3 Tabula Rasa, +8 Season 4
+Quote Post
Ziu
post Nov 3rd 2007, 11:01 PM
Post #17

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,813

Teyla was really showing, I wonder how they are going to handle it.

S4 Teyla spoiler:
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Nov 3rd 2007, 11:45 PM
Post #18

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,724

*steps around spoilers* C'mon!

I liked it. Not as good as say Doppleganger, but not bad. Loved the opening scene with McKay (Damn similar to a fic I've read recently though) and all the Rodney/Katie stuff was really sweet.

Loved Sam's hair, too bad she can't wear it down all the time. And she didn't annoy the crap out of me, but then again she couldn't remember how much of a condescending mole she's been since coming to Atlantis. whistling.gif

The Polaroid idea was good, I just think it could have been worked in better than it was. It was too convenient.
+Quote Post
Joda
post Nov 4th 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #19

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Maybe a pic of Shep or Ronan mooning the camera? tongue.gif

Easy there girls... calm yourselves.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 4th 2007, 2:41 AM
Post #20

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Joda @ Nov 3rd 2007, 7:24 PM) *

How awesome is it that Pegasus' version of the Chicken Pox pretty much devestated Atlantis?

It wasn't awesome, it was something that happens on Earth, I don't even think it was creative. I saw their immunity coming from a mile away.

QUOTE(magnavox @ Nov 3rd 2007, 11:45 PM) *

The Polaroid idea was good, I just think it could have been worked in better than it was. It was too convenient.

It was good, but I didn't see it coming. Perhaps they coud have shown him looking at the picture throughout the ep, saying, "we need to find him", but not letting us see who was in the picture until that seen.
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Nov 4th 2007, 3:48 AM
Post #21

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(magnavox @ Nov 4th 2007, 3:45 PM) *

Loved the opening scene with McKay (Damn similar to a fic I've read recently though) and all the Rodney/Katie stuff was really sweet.

Yeah it was. Stupid writers threw me a bit when they mentioned that at least they found a cure before "any more deaths", thus implying Katie was dead when the very next scene came up...Luckily they didn't go down the "killing a minor character for the hell of it" route yet again, and she turned out to be ok. Had they killed her, it would have been really sh*t and pissed me off to no end.
The actual end result was a bit sappy, but it did give some more insight into Rodneys character which was nice. At least we know he won't be running around hitting on Sam constantly like he did in SG-1 rolleyes.gif That would have gotten old fast.

And she didn't annoy the crap out of me, but then again she couldn't remember how much of a condescending mole she's been since coming to Atlantis. whistling.gif

*Snicker*, "Mole". How Aussie are you? 1.gif

Ah, but it led to the "Yeah, I'm your comanding officer do what I say!.....Uh do what he says" scene. Which was hilarious.

And Ronan shooting Shep laugh.gif . He enjoyed it too. Reminds me of Teal'c constantly beating up on Cam whenever he gets the chance 1.gif

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 4th 2007, 6:41 PM) *

It wasn't awesome, it was something that happens on Earth, I don't even think it was creative. I saw their immunity coming from a mile away.

Well I didn't see the actual immunity itself coming, but once it was clear they were immune, it was pretty easy to figure out why. The mutation twist was good, explained why those unlucky adults in Pegasus who manage to avoid exposure to Kirsan fever untill they were older, didn't come down with amnesia and a somewhat terminal case of death (similar to how Chicken Pox is more dangerous to adults than children).

Overall, brilliant episode. And shock horror it was a stand-alone ep not an arc episode. (That ones for you Jrv, if and when you ever come back)

This post has been edited by Rogue Ashrak: Nov 4th 2007, 3:48 AM
+Quote Post
Joda
post Nov 4th 2007, 5:33 AM
Post #22

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 4th 2007, 2:41 AM) *

It was good, but I didn't see it coming. Perhaps they coud have shown him looking at the picture throughout the ep, saying, "we need to find him", but not letting us see who was in the picture until that seen.

Whaadya mean it's something that happens on Earth? I dunno about you, but I've been Pegasus disease as long as I can remember (uhh... huh.gif )

I meant that a natural occuring, and usually harmless sickness, had all this adverse affect on the people from Earth, while leaving the natives untouched. And while yes, we have sickness' similar in essence to this (i.e. Chicken Pox affects children, who then build an immunity) this showed that Pegasus isn't so different in that regard. However the way they twisted the sickness to create the memory loss was nifty. I had originally thought the memory loss would be a natural symptom (not a result of the mutation) that occurs when an adult contracts the disease, or someone from another Galaxy (body chemistry, genetics etc.).

As for the way they played the Sheppard picture... I felt it worked. Had they made it so Lorne was looking at the picture the whole time, it would have too similar to McKay's position, and would have nullified the 'threat of the soldiers'. Had McKay and Lorne met up, while both looking at a picture of someone they're searching for they more than likely would have realised something was up, and would have worked together. This way, Lorne had started a perfectly innocent task of rounding up sickies, started popping Stims, then the disease and the Stims worked together to create a paranoid, armed, and amnesiac, soldier roaming the city with a sqaud of similarly afflicted soldiers creating tension, fear, and more paranoia. Lorne could have looked in his vest pocket, but he was so focused on saving his people and trying to figure out what was going on that it became a non-issue until he confronted John and Ronan, where they used their foresight to defuse the situation. (foresight here being John taking taking the picture beforehand, knowing Lorne would forget who he was)

Also, I liked when McKay hit 'Enter'... "Wow... I guess I really was almost done..."

And Ronan shooting Shep . He enjoyed it too. Reminds me of Teal'c constantly beating up on Cam whenever he gets the chance

"you're not my real team leader!"[/tantrum]

This post has been edited by Joda: Nov 4th 2007, 5:35 AM
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Nov 4th 2007, 5:37 AM
Post #23

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,724

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Nov 4th 2007, 3:48 AM) *

*Snicker*, "Mole". How Aussie are you? 1.gif

Corinne Grant is my queen. happy.gif

Overall, brilliant episode. And shock horror it was a stand-alone ep not an arc episode. (That ones for you Jrv, if and when you ever come back)

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Acolyte
post Nov 4th 2007, 8:11 AM
Post #24

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,829

It was a quite good ep, but I'm craving for something big. something that makes the story-arc progress. I personally love space-fights, and space-scenes in general. thus these 4 last eps barely get out of the shadow of the first 2 eps for me.

When Ronon had to shoot Shep I thought Shep should have worn some pictures hung in his neck, showing who're his friends. When Lorne had one i thought, yeah they thought about it too. also it would've been easier if sheppard had one...

My favorite character is definitively Maj. Lorne. I hope we get to see more of him in this season.

The best sci-fi-show-doctor-actors were imo Robert Picardo in voyager, the old doctor in BSG, Sean Maher (Simon Tam) in Firefly /his character made him be good/, and Beckett here.
Beckett was great, he was old enough, to have experience, and young enough to be open for new stuff.
Though Keller is young, I liked her in firefly, so I'm not against her, and she's not bad. ...Compared to the "new" sg1 doctor, andromeda. she was a real c*nt. worst doctor-character-and-actress ever. I could stand her even less than b. bridges as general. blaaaaaah. those two characters really f*cked up sg1 for me.

Atlantis is great, but please, after 4 fillers I want some story-arc!

By the way!! Did I miss where Teyla's people is? Did they leave them back where Atlantis used to be, did they relocate them to anywhere?

And why did't everyone get infected with this disease back when that kid had it, from whom beckett had the sample?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 23rd 2014 - 6:58 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.